Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We will win our First Playoff Game this Year.
(11-19-2018, 08:58 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: We will win our First Playoff Game this year under Marvin.  Bank it. Remember this Thread.  

Who Dey.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5522491]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:01 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: LOL!! you got it Pal, Kurt Cobain still sucks!! 

Hell yeah he does!

He wasn't even the best musician in Nirvana.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 08:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Hell yeah he does!

Yet without him, there was no Nirvana.  I can take or leave him but not everybody can start a genre.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 09:50 PM)McC Wrote: Yet without him, there was no Nirvana.  I can take or leave him but not everybody can start a genre.

He specifically didn't start a genre.

There were other bands doing it and some doing it much better.

They were a MTV poster child for a change of formatting.  

In fact I can hear much more influence of Alice In Chains in bands even in today's music than Nirvana.

Tell me what bands have Nirvana influenced their sound...  ??

Anyway.  Pop culture yes.  You can suck and be a pop culture icon.  Many examples over decades.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 10:19 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He specifically didn't start a genre.

In fact I can hear much more influence of Alice In Chains in bands even in today's music than Nirvana.

Anyway.  Pop culture yes.  You can suck and be a pop culture icon.  Many examples over decades.

The guy who gets the most famous is always the guy who gets the credit.  See Elvis.  And maybe they get the biggest for a reason. They have a certain something the others don't.

And as to who influenced today's bands, other than all sounding so alike to me, I can't say who influenced them, which is me showing my age.  I guess I'm also jaded, having grown up in the Golden Age, the age that each new generation discovers, the age that will never end.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Kurt Cobain did not suck. Nirvana’s Unplugged album is still one of my all time favorites to this day.

But yes, Layne Staley had a better voice. Not a big fan of current AIC though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 08:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Hell yeah he does!

Oh stop it. Kurt Cobain wasn't the most technically skilled guitarist, but he was an absolutely brilliant song writer. 

If pop rock were so easy to write, you and I would be famous right now.

(11-21-2018, 10:19 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He specifically didn't start a genre.

Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Weezer, White Stripes, Silverchair, and any of countless bands that copied the quiet/loud dynamic? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh stop it. Kurt Cobain wasn't the most technically skilled guitarist, but he was an absolutely brilliant song writer. 

If pop rock were so easy to write, you and I would be famous right now.

Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Weezer, White Stripes, Silverchair, and any of countless bands that copied the quiet/loud dynamic? 

White Stripes and Silverchair perhaps.

Quite/loud dynamic has always been around in some form and not exclusive to just Grunge.

Alternative rock was around(and still is)before Nirvana.

Smells Like Teen Spirit which is their biggest hit sounds like early U2 with some punk tone guitars thrown in. Rolleyes

Sorry not propping someone up because they're famous.  Lot's of talent in this world both known and unknown. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:58 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: White Stripes and Silverchair perhaps.

Quite/loud dynamic has always been around in some form and not exclusive to just Grunge.

Smells Like Teen Spirit which is their biggest hit sounds like early U2 with some punk tone guitars thrown in. Rolleyes

Sorry not propping someone up because they're famous.  Lot's of talent in this world both known and unknown. 

Seems like what you're doing is expressing a matter of personal taste as if it's fact.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:58 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: White Stripes and Silverchair perhaps.

Who cares if it was there biggest hit because of MTV? It’s not even close to being one of their best songs.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:58 PM)McC Wrote: Seems like what you're doing is expressing a matter of personal taste as if it's fact.

(11-23-2018, 06:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who cares if it was there biggest hit because of MTV? It’s not even close to being one of their best songs.
No McC but I do follow all types of genres of music.

As they say.  It's all in the delivery.  Nirvana delivered what they were doing and made it big.

I can't take that away from them.

Kurt is as Shake said a marginal talent.  It's the songwriting ability that fits someone's personal taste.  To say it was great.

I know Teen Spirit is not their best song.  Yet it's the one that defines them to the world.

Nothing real groundbreaking musically there.

We disagree.  No big deal.  People think RUSH sucks.  Which is understandable to taste as well.
Reply/Quote
Wow! I can see that the conversation about the Bengals winning a playoff game this year is so strong that the thread has skipped a beat and jumped to an overdosed suicide singer.

Mike Brown's 2019 incarnation of the Cincinnati Bengals is mighty inspiring. Ninja

Reply/Quote

Talent does not always = fame.  But, Fame generally = $$$.  What does that mean?  You don't have to be the first or even the best, just the first to get noticed and put forth to the World.

Same goes in Pro Sports..  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Talent does not always = fame.  But, Fame generally = $$$.  What does that mean?  You don't have to be the first or even the best, just the first to get noticed and put forth to the World.

Same goes in Pro Sports..  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2018, 08:58 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: We will win our First Playoff Game this year under Marvin.  Bank it. Remember this Thread.  

Who Dey.

You have to be in the playoffs to win a playoff game. You sound like a gambler sure of his system until it fails.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Seeing guys with guitar avatars debate music on a Bengals playoff win thread on this board makes me wonder if on a music board somewhere two guys with Bengals avatars are discussing Bengals playoff win probability in a thread about Kurt Cobain. Cosmic, man.

Anyways, we all know the most perfect pop songs are "Just What I Needed" by the Cars, and "Be My Baby" By the Ronettes. Honorable mentions to Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" for being legit hits in their day and then finding immortality in being screamed anywhere drunk white college students are found.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeing guys with guitar avatars debate music on a Bengals playoff win thread on this board makes me wonder if on a music board somewhere two guys with Bengals avatars are discussing Bengals playoff win probability in a thread about Kurt Cobain.  Cosmic, man.

Anyways, we all know the most perfect pop songs are "Just What I Needed" by the Cars, and "Be My Baby" By the Ronettes.  Honorable mentions to Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" for being legit hits in their day and then finding immortality in being screamed anywhere drunk white college students are found.

Don't forget Foreigner.  McC loves driving around belting out the never ending choruses to their songs!
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Don't forget Foreigner.  McC loves driving around belting out the never ending choruses to their songs!

Foreigner, Styx, and REO Speedwagon are the same band....I'm convinced of it.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Don't forget Foreigner.  McC loves driving around belting out the never ending choruses to their songs!

Props for remembering that.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeing guys with guitar avatars debate music on a Bengals playoff win thread on this board makes me wonder if on a music board somewhere two guys with Bengals avatars are discussing Bengals playoff win probability in a thread about Kurt Cobain.  Cosmic, man.

Anyways, we all know the most perfect pop songs are "Just What I Needed" by the Cars, and "Be My Baby" By the Ronettes.  Honorable mentions to Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" for being legit hits in their day and then finding immortality in being screamed anywhere drunk white college students are found.

Actually, I have to state unequivocally that the perfect pop song is "Come and Get Your Love."

Reply/Quote