Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wecome to the 53 Tanner Hudson
(11-01-2023, 06:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Based on what I heard they really liked Sam LaPorta. Of course not first round but I think they nab him in the second round. Myles Murphy has been a disappointment but the athleticism is there. He could still blossom.

Yea I think most had LaPorta as a 2nd rounder. Bengals just didn't draft early enough in 2nd round, and no one was willing to invest a 1st rounder in him.

LaPorta is the 2nd option in that Lions offense, and he's producing well.
59 targets through 8 games.

As much as I'd like the Bengals to target a TE more in the passing game, I don't think it'd be realistic to see LaPorta have even 50 targets in the Bengals offense.
He'd probably be in the 30-40 range with the Bengals, as the Bengals TEs combined have 29 targets right now.

If LaPorta was able to have around 35 targets and maintain his 73% catch percentage and his 10.1 YPR, he'd potentially be around 250 yards for the Bengals.
That would put him right around middle of the pack among TEs (around Kincaid, Henry, and Ferguson).
So basically, if you wanna have a Top 5-10 TE, they need to be targeted enough in the offense to make a big enough impact.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 02:56 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think it was a “nobody trusts that guy” move (looking at you #81)

Funny but I think that is exactly what it was.  I dont think anyone trusts Irv at this point.   Hudson has looked like the best pass catching TE we have on the team
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 02:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Thank you! I wonder if this move was a "Burrow trusts this guy" move?

I think the ball that BOUNCED OFF SAMPLE's hands last week, was the proof in the pudding. He never played like a #2. Amazing he's still around.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 08:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I think the ball that BOUNCED OFF SAMPLE's hands last week, was the proof in the pudding. He never played like a #2. Amazing he's still around.

Do you even know anything about football? Sample is the #1 blocking TE in the league right now. He's not on the roster to catch passes.
Reply/Quote
WHO DEY!!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 09:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you even know anything about football? Sample is the #1 blocking TE in the league right now. He's not on the roster to catch passes.

Then why's he a TE? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 05:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Marty used to say, "If you give a bench player enough playing time, you will find out why he's a bench player." That could be true here, but since they are getting next to nothing from Irv, might as well at least find out. He had a pretty productive game when he played.

Then why did Benzinger play so much?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 10:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Then why did Benzinger play so much?

It’s a general statement. Akin to playing to the back of your baseball card. Fans get all excited about some guy coming off the bench and doing well for a week.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 09:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you even know anything about football? Sample is the #1 blocking TE in the league right now. He's not on the roster to catch passes.

May as well put a tackle there then.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
An old school FULLBACK would do more wonders than a Sample TE.
Reply/Quote
Not too surprising considering everything that's happened with Irv. Definitely seems like the Bengals won't play the wait and see game in free agency for a TE next year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 10:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Then why's he a TE? 

Because a big part of a Tight Ends job is to block. If it wasn't, they would be called receivers. C'mon man... 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 10:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: May as well put a tackle there then.

And then the team loses an eligible receiver. I should not have to explain football positions to people claiming to be fans, but since so many here do not seem to understand the Tight End position, let WIKI do it.....

Quote:Tight end

22 languages

The tight end (TE) is an offensive position in American footballarena football, and Canadian football. It is a hybrid that combines the characteristics and roles of both an offensive lineman and a receiver. As part of the receiver corp, they play inside the flanks (tight), contrasted with the split end who plays outside the flanks (wide). Like offensive linemen, they are usually lined up on the offensive line and are large enough to be effective blockers. On the other hand, unlike offensive linemen, they are eligible receivers and potent weapons in a team's offensive schemes.
Quote:The tight end's role in any given offense depends on the preferences and philosophy of the head coachoffensive coordinator, and overall team dynamic. In some systems, the tight end will merely act as a sixth offensive lineman, rarely going out for passes. Other systems use the tight end primarily as a receiver, frequently taking advantage of the tight end's size to create mismatches in the defensive secondary. Many coaches will often have one tight end who specializes in blocking on running plays while using a tight end with better pass-catching skills in obvious passing situations.
Offensive formations may have as few as zero or as many as three tight ends at one time.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 06:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I'd like the Bengals to target a TE more in the passing game, I don't think it'd be realistic to see LaPorta have even 50 targets in the Bengals offense.
He'd probably be in the 30-40 range with the Bengals, as the Bengals TEs combined have 29 targets right now.

Not sure why this idea of the Bengals offense not using TEs exists. They use TEs, they just haven't had a single better-than-mediocre TE on their roster for the last 7 years.

Hurst was 14th among TEs in receptions last year, and only played 13 out of a 17 game season.
Uzomah was 17th among TEs in receptions in 2021 in 16 out of 17 games.

Imagine if they had an actually good TE.

I think this is much the same problem we have with RBs. We don't have a great one, so we don't run a lot because downs are valuable. That doesn't mean we wouldn't run more if we had a great RB. Good players generally get more touches and that's true regardless of offensive scheme.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 09:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure why this idea of the Bengals offense not using TEs exists. They use TEs, they just haven't had a single better-than-mediocre TE on their roster for the last 7 years.

Hurst was 14th among TEs in receptions last year, and only played 13 out of a 17 game season.
Uzomah was 17th among TEs in receptions in 2022 in 16 out of 17 games.

Imagine if they had an actually good TE.

I think this is much the same problem we have with RBs. We don't have a great one, so we don't run a lot because downs are valuable. That doesn't mean we wouldn't run more if we had a great RB. Good players generally get more touches and that's true regardless of offensive scheme.

I can't say with confidence the Bengals would use a TE more if they had a better one until we actually see it.
I'd love for it to happen.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 10:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s a general statement. Akin to playing to the back of your baseball card. Fans get all excited about some guy coming off the bench and doing well for a week.

lol I know, I was being facetious Wink

(11-02-2023, 12:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: An old school FULLBACK would do more wonders than a Sample TE.

lol no it wouldn't.

There's a reason the position is completely passe.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 09:36 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol I know, I was being facetious Wink

lol no it wouldn't.

The FB might if the offense was more of a run-heavy one like the Ravens or 49ers, but I agree not if it's a heavy passing offense.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 09:36 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol I know, I was being facetious Wink

lol no it wouldn't.

Taylor Swift will be with Tanner in a few weeks....no doubt!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I can't say with confidence the Bengals would use a TE more if they had a better one until we actually see it.
I'd love for it to happen.

If the Bengals had gotten one of rhe rookie TEs this year his target share might not have been high in 2023 because you know rookie plus target share with the best WR trio in the NFL.

...In 2024 that WR trio will lose at least 1 maybe 2 so having the TE already in place to get in rhythm and develop with Burrow would have been huge as a target to help transition away from Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. Now we have to hope Charlie Jones gets back and gets reps. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 11:12 AM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals had gotten one of rhe rookie TEs this year his target share might not have been high in 2023 because you know rookie plus target share with the best WR trio in the NFL.

...In 2024 that WR trio will lose at least 1 maybe 2 so having the TE already in place to get in rhythm and develop with Burrow would have been huge as a target to help transition away from Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins. Now we have to hope Charlie Jones gets back and gets reps. 

Yep exactly.
This year, the TE would probably be the 4th option, as has been the case the past few years because of Chase, Boyd, and Higgins.
My thought is 2024 would be the best opportunity to jump into that #2/#3 option in the passing game, but it needs to be a quality pass catching TE to do that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote