Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wecome to the 53 Tanner Hudson
Glad to see this happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because a big part of a Tight Ends job is to block. If it wasn't, they would be called receivers. C'mon man... 

With as much success as some teams have when leaning on TE's (Detroit, Minnesota, Baltimore, KC), I would like to see us using the position as another threat. 

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 12:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: With as much success as some teams have when leaning on TE's (Detroit, Minnesota, Baltimore, KC), I would like to see us using the position as another threat. 

With as much whining as goes on in this place about the offensive line, I would think people would be happy to have a TE who can block effectively. No one is ever happy.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 12:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With as much whining as goes on in this place about the offensive line, I would think people would be happy to have a TE who can block effectively. No one is ever happy.

Who said I wasn't happy? I would like to see more TE usage is all I'm saying. Opens up the playbook a little.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Taylor was also asked today about Tanner's promotion and involvement moving forward.
He said Tanner earned getting to the active roster, it wasn't just a team need.
He also said that if he happens to be active on gamedays, we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they find a way to get him some snaps.

Right now, I think TE and LG are the two spots with the biggest opportunity for someone new to push out a starter, so Hudson is coming into a perfect opportunity.
Would love to see him emerge as the starter by season's end and even possibly get re-signed if he's shown enough both as a pass catcher and run blocker.

Actually, I'd pick SS. Because not only is the starter struggling a bit, like TE & LG, but there is a reserve who has played pretty well already in the roster in Battle. 

I mean, we can see the need for improvement at LG, but Scarping is out best reserve. Carman or Ford or Trey Hill would be next. That is not realistic. 

TE was the same prior to Hudson's promotion. Smith has been disappointing, but Sample/Wilcox are not starter material. Neither is Hudson, really. But at least he is a more viable alternative. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 12:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Who said I wasn't happy?

[Image: avatar_130.jpg?dateline=1431827184]

Reply/Quote
I just read Tanner is a former QB and takes practice snaps under center (to help centers get reps). Could he become our short sneak option in the future. He is also a decent blocker, could he ply fullback at times?

He sounds like he is decent athlete, it will interesting to see how Zac and TE coach Casey use him.

As for Irv Smith, bad fumble inside 5 yard line. Will hill be active each week? Will he be demoted to the PS when Jones comes back?

I am happy he is on the 53 man roster, I still wanted us to get a Hunter Henry talent, but hopefully he plays great and proves me wrong about trading for a TE at the deadline.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And then the team loses an eligible receiver. I should not have to explain football positions to people claiming to be fans, but since so many here do not seem to understand the Tight End position, let WIKI do it.....

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Except YOU said he's not there to catch passes. That means you can put a tackle there. Who can of course report as eligible. If you said his primary role is to block then that would be different. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
So disappointed we didn’t try to extend Hurst before free agency. Who knows maybe we made a reasonable offer, I’m sure someone on here knows if we tried or not. Smith Jr. is a non factor so far this season. It’s frustrating cause he has the talent, speed, smarts etc. to be successful but it’s just not happening for whatever reason. I tried to get pumped about picking him up convincing myself he was at least as good as Hurst.

I was pimpin Kincaid or LaPorta hard this pre draft. Still kinda salty we passed on a TE. Didn’t think LaPorta would go before Mayer, but Kincaid being off the board was no surprise. The first two draft picks I wanted was Gibbs/Kincaid whichever was still on the board and LaPorta in the second. Wouldn’t mind us bringing in the TE Zach Kuntz. Dude is a freak, similar to the TE Pitt drafted. He was cut by the Jets but I believe they signed him to the practice squad. Not sure what the process is to pluck someone off a practice squad. Sure would like the move. Or find a way to get Hurts back somehow.
Reply/Quote
So I’m a little confused as to Hudson’s status. Whether signed to 53 or standard elevation? He had been elevated two games previously and would be eligible for one more standard elevation. According to Hobson regarding the lack of moves prior to the trade deadline “That was made clear when their first move after the deadline was using the third and final elevation to the active 53-man roster from the practice squad Wednesday for veteran tight end Tanner Hudson in the run-up to Sunday night's game (8:20-Cinciunnati's Channel 5) at Paycor Stadium against the Bills.”

An elevation would make more sense to me as he would automatically revert to the practice squad and could be signed later. Meanwhile the roster spot would then be available for Charlie Jones’ return from IR next week.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 05:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Except YOU said he's not there to catch passes.  That means you can put a tackle there.  Who can of course report as eligible.  If you said his primary role is to block then that would be different. 

His primary role IS to block. He is also an eligible receiver that other teams have to cover. A tackle can report as eligible, but the opponents know irs a slim chance he's getting the pass
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 06:28 PM)TKUHL Wrote: ...Wouldn’t mind us bringing in the TE Zach Kuntz. Dude is a freak, similar to the TE Pitt drafted. He was cut by the Jets but I believe they signed him to the practice squad. Not sure what the process is to pluck someone off a practice squad...

If you poach a player from another teams practice squad, that player will take up a 53 man roster spot for at least 3 weeks.  Even if you sign Kuntz then realize he sucks, too bad.  You are able to cut him if you want but he would still count against your 53 man roster for 3 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And then the team loses an eligible receiver. I should not have to explain football positions to people claiming to be fans, but since so many here do not seem to understand the Tight End position, let WIKI do it.....

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

You accidentally only highlighted the blocking role of a TE. You left out the part that Sample is "not on the roster" to perform. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 08:08 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: So I’m a little confused as to Hudson’s status. Whether signed to 53 or standard elevation? He had been elevated two games previously and would be eligible for one more standard elevation...

That's correct.  They could have elevated Hudson a 3rd time then sent him back to the practice squad after the game against the Bills.  If they wanted to elevate Hudson a 4th time for the Houston game, he would then need to be signed to the 53 man roster.  They didnt do that. It looks like they plan on keeping Hudson around for a few games so they didnt use the 3rd practice team call up.  They went ahead and signed him to the 53 man roster.    

In the future, if the Bengals want Hudson back on the practice squad they would need to cut him, have him clear waivers then they could sign him to the practice squad again.  At that point they could elevate him another 3 times from the practice squad as being re-signed to the practice squad resets the 3 elevations rule.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 06:28 PM)TKUHL Wrote: So disappointed we didn’t try to extend Hurst before free agency. Who knows maybe we made a reasonable offer, I’m sure someone on here knows if we tried or not. Smith Jr. is a non factor so far this season. It’s frustrating cause he has the talent, speed, smarts etc. to be successful but it’s just not happening for whatever reason. I tried to get pumped about picking him up convincing myself he was at least as good as Hurst.

I was pimpin Kincaid or LaPorta hard this pre draft. Still kinda salty we passed on a TE. Didn’t think LaPorta would go before Mayer, but Kincaid being off the board was no surprise. The first two draft picks I wanted was Gibbs/Kincaid whichever was still on the board and LaPorta in the second. Wouldn’t mind us bringing in the TE Zach Kuntz. Dude is a freak, similar to the TE Pitt drafted. He was cut by the Jets but I believe they signed him to the practice squad. Not sure what the process is to pluck someone off a practice squad. Sure would like the move. Or find a way to get Hurts back somehow.

The Bengals probably had an offer to Hurst, but this was Hurst's only chance to get a big deal in free agency. I figured he was going to go to whoever gave him the biggest deal.

As for the draft, the Bengals seemed to determined to bring in a TE, but they want their own guy. They were in on TE last year. The rumor going around was Trey McBride was the target in the 2nd round. Rapien has said that in this past draft, the Bengals were planning on going with Kincaid in the first. The team was also looking at LaPorta in the 2nd round.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I’m hoping he can catch a few at least.
Reply/Quote
Seems that Burrow is excited about Hudson being elevated to the 53.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-excited-tanner-hudson-addition-active-roster

Quote:CINCINNATI — The Bengals signed tight end Tanner Hudson to their active roster on Wednesday morning.

The 28-year-old has four receptions for 48 yards in two games this season. He's spent the first eight weeks of the year on Cincinnati's practice squad.

Joe Burrow believes Hudson will give the Bengals another weapon on offense.

"He brings an element that is exciting," Burrow said on Wednesday. "He's tough, hard working, really good in the pass game, really good pass catcher, good after the catch. He's gonna bring an element that we're excited about."

Hudson joins fellow tight ends Irv Smith Jr., Drew Sample and Mitch Wilcox on the 53-man roster.

"It’s a good addition. He’s earned it," head coach Zac Taylor said. "Sometimes the roster just shakes out the way it shakes out, but he has continued to put his head down and work every day in practice. He makes plays on the scout teams. He’s done a great job in-line blocking, does a great job route running. He’s earned an opportunity to get up. It’s more about maybe him than anything else just earning that opportunity. That’s the right way to reward guys when it makes sense."

It's fair to expect him to be active on Sunday night against the Bills. Will the other three tight ends be active?

That's a question the Bengals will have to figure out between now and Sunday night.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 01:24 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Actually, I'd pick SS. Because not only is the starter struggling a bit, like TE & LG, but there is a reserve who has played pretty well already in the roster in Battle. 

I mean, we can see the need for improvement at LG, but Scarping is out best reserve. Carman or Ford or Trey Hill would be next. That is not realistic. 

TE was the same prior to Hudson's promotion. Smith has been disappointing, but Sample/Wilcox are not starter material. Neither is Hudson, really. But at least he is a more viable alternative. 

I didn't include SS because they had already started splitting time between Battle and Scott, so I considered that one already in motion.
But yes, SS hadn't been good either through first part of the season. Battle might end up being a good one though.

As for LG, Scharping was solid when he was with HOU as the starter at LG. Scharping wasn't good when playing RG, but I have more confidence in him at LG if he were to get an opportunity.

Regardless, my point for LG and TE were the starters are not good, so the depth has the best chance to push them out (if they were also any good).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 09:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you even know anything about football? Sample is the #1 blocking TE in the league right now. He's not on the roster to catch passes.

I know he had an 84.4 on PFF and was best in the league through the bye week. That dropped off a lot in the 49ers game however and he only put up a 45.2 pass blocker rating in that game. His run blocking was better at 60.5 but it does make sense that the Bengals might take this moment to give someone else more of an opportunity. 

Drew will get a chance to bounce back, but you want to be prepared to try something different if the trend continues in this direction. 

[Image: 0myqw4si5lxb1.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:56 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: [Image: 0myqw4si5lxb1.png]

So what PFF is saying is that Bengals TEs run alot of routes and are really really bad at it... I don't agree with PFF often but I think I can get behind that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote