Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Welcome Amarius Mims
(04-26-2024, 05:04 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Over the course of 8 games that means squat. His numbers are based on limited snaps aka less chances to screw up.
Other guys have 5 times as many snaps. That skews these numbers. 

Not your best take.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 07:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You should be doing that after drinking all of the Kool-Aid. Time will tell, it always does. I'm hoping he's great for Cincy but there is reason to have doubt. Get real and get over yourself.

Lame
Reply/Quote
I see that ESPN.com has a front-page story on "Amarius Mims shrugs off Nick Saban's draft night criticism." Mim's response was brief and rather classy.

"Everybody has their own opinions of me," Mims said Friday. "I don't really care about what he said or what he had to say, honestly. I'm just glad to be a Cincinnati Bengal."

"I got a lot of respect for Coach Saban, even when he said that," Mims said Friday. "He's one of the greatest college head coaches. It is what it is."

The article notes that Mims was originally going to Alabama to play for Saban. Maybe that's some of the course of the Saban venom on national TV.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40032154/bengals-amarius-mims-shrugs-nick-saban-nfl-draft-night-criticism
Reply/Quote
Hard to watch Saban on the broadcast. Comes across as a snarky piece of work.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 07:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Aren’t you one of the guys who wanted Chase Young over “Peanut brittle”? LOL

I did!  LMAO  I love JB, just need him to stay healthy. I don't dislike Mims either, I just wish he had a little longer resume and I'm gun shy at OT.  Hilarious

If he's even close to Willie 2.0 I will be very happy and gladly eat a little crow over it. Hell, happily if he sticks for a while.

I like the Jenkins pick, so I won't be bitching about that one.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I did!  LMAO  I love JB, just need him to stay healthy. I don't dislike Mims either, I just wish he had a little longer resume and I'm gun shy at OT.  Hilarious

If he's even close to Willie 2.0 I will be very happy and gladly eat a little crow over it. Hell, happily if he sticks for a while.

I like the Jenkins pick, so I won't be bitching about that one.

It played out as I had suggested.  DT Murphy off board so they took monster size OT.  Then on Day 2 took a DT and followed with a WR.   I have to think fans are getting happier about this draft. As I say, look for a RB in Day 3, because Bengals said so. They want a college RB for depth with Mixon gone, Bengals have said that. 

GO BENGALS

Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 05:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, it is a new age, the age of Amarius.

Thanks.
Now I can't stop hearing the song.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The Georgia Giant

Mega Mims

Amarius the Giant
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Saw this and got a laugh!

https://twitter.com/mikerenner_/status/1783682081475703169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783682081475703169%7Ctwgr%5E32adf0498ffcb6eec60b8f8b772bf8360b81e6ad%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbengalswire.usatoday.com%2Flists%2Fbengals-draft-amarius-mims-best-reactions-first-round%2F

put amarius mims at guard this year
@bengals
and only run power/counter
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: Great interview. It's easy to see why Zac and company are high on him. He's confident, but not in an arrogant way. Lots of yes sirs, high GPA, used to winning on a big stage, loves the game, exactly their type. If he can translate to this level, look out. 

I just saw this interview. The kid made me smile.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 08:12 PM)wanga Wrote: Hard to watch Saban on the broadcast. Comes across as a snarky piece of work.

He is a snarky piece of art. He’s also driven and quite talented. There are all kinds of talented and accomplished people who aren’t exactly likable… .
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 08:12 PM)wanga Wrote: Hard to watch Saban on the broadcast. Comes across as a snarky piece of work.

I actually preferred Belichick
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 03:02 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: I actually preferred Belichick

I watched him with the McAfee show. He actually provided good insight about players but it often got lost in the banter and humor they were going for with the broadcast.
Reply/Quote

*Has a contract where anytime he fell out of the highest paid coaches in college football he automatically would be eligible for a raise even if that's every year.*

"All these kids care about these days are getting paid. It's ruined football."

*Cashes $11.7m/yr paychecks.*

"The only thing I ever cared about helping develop kids as players and people."

*Quits because he can no longer have a bench full of unpaid 4 and 5 star recruits to back up his unpaid 5 star players that he has full power to play god over to decide their futures because transferring used to be only once and took away a year of eligibility.*

Sick   Guy's a turd who ran away the second he had the slightest whiff of fair competition.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 09:31 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: *Has a contract where anytime he fell out of the highest paid coaches in college football he automatically would be eligible for a raise even if that's every year.*

"All these kids care about these days are getting paid. It's ruined football."

*Cashes $11.7m/yr paychecks.*

"The only thing I ever cared about helping develop kids as players and people."

*Quits because he can no longer have a bench full of unpaid 4 and 5 star recruits to back up his unpaid 5 star players that he has full power to play god over to decide their futures because transferring used to be only once and took away a year of eligibility.*

Sick   Guy's a turd who ran away the second he had the slightest whiff of fair competition.

He's also 72 years old and maybe didn't want to deal with the entire new wave of what NIL football is going to be and the mentality of kids he'll be needing to coach now. 

Agree the money part is a bit hypocritical. But he proved he deserved to be the highest paid coach after years and years of success.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 06:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Maybe? 

If I take 50 snaps and I am successful on 25 and another guy takes 500 snaps and is successful on 250 that's apples and oranges. See the math works out the same except when doing a deep dive, it does not. 

Is Peanut-Brittle Jesus going to stay healthy enough to play QB for the Bengals this year or can we expect him to take a few more years off during this current mega-contract?

You're trying to make your point via hyperbole, but the question is much closer to if you look at a guy who took 402 snaps and was successful on 396 of them (98.5%) and compared him to a guy who took 1016 snaps and was successful on 986 of those snaps (97%), a guy who took 734 snaps and was successful on 711 of them (96.6%), and a guy who took 1332 snaps and was successful on 1289 of them (96.8%).

Yes, 402 is a limited sample size compared to the likes of Latham, Fuaga and Fautanu, but you don't luck into a 98.5% success rate over 402 snaps unless you are talented. All indications are that if he had played 600 snaps, he would have had a similar success profile.

And, for what it's worth, this is if you treat hits, sacks and hurries as the exact same thing: a failure. But Mims was the only one who didn't allow a single sack or hit in his profile. Latham allowed 2 sacks and 6 hits in his 1016 snaps, Fuaga allowed 5 hits in his 734 snaps and Fautanu allowed 3 sacks and 5 hits in his 1332 snaps.

Mims allowed 6 hurries, 0 sacks and 0 hits in his 402 snaps.

I get that you're being a contrarian for the sake of it, but there's no way you believe 402 pass blocking snaps is not enough to evaluate a player.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I love the pick.

Protecting Burrow should be priority #1. He was the best RT on the board & has the tools to be the best OT in this class. The tape is excellent. He is good in pass pro & run blocking.

Brown will likely not start 17.

Mims can play year 1 and contribute if called upon.

There is a reason why so many OTs have gone (Alt, Latham, Fashanu, Fuaga, Mims, Fautanu). It is an important position & this class is uber-talented.

Only 8 starts got me worried. Broken ankle big guy has me worried. Bengals history on 1sr round OL has me really worried.

Ot many teams uses 1st round pick to develop a player. QB sometimes to learn a year.
I am just talking out of my A$$. I.just enjoy watching football not tuned into the mechanics of any position and what it taketobe successful.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
New nickname for the line
(04-29-2024, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote:
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 09:54 AM)CJD Wrote: You're trying to make your point via hyperbole, but the question is much closer to if you look at a guy who took 402 snaps and was successful on 396 of them (98.5%) and compared him to a guy who took 1016 snaps and was successful on 986 of those snaps (97%), a guy who took 734 snaps and was successful on 711 of them (96.6%), and a guy who took 1332 snaps and was successful on 1289 of them (96.8%).

Yes, 402 is a limited sample size compared to the likes of Latham, Fuaga and Fautanu, but you don't luck into a 98.5% success rate over 402 snaps unless you are talented. All indications are that if he had played 600 snaps, he would have had a similar success profile.

And, for what it's worth, this is if you treat hits, sacks and hurries as the exact same thing: a failure. But Mims was the only one who didn't allow a single sack or hit in his profile. Latham allowed 2 sacks and 6 hits in his 1016 snaps, Fuaga allowed 5 hits in his 734 snaps and Fautanu allowed 3 sacks and 5 hits in his 1332 snaps.

Mims allowed 6 hurries, 0 sacks and 0 hits in his 402 snaps.

I get that you're being a contrarian for the sake of it, but there's no way you believe 402 pass blocking snaps is not enough to evaluate a player.

Games and TEAMs played in Mims college career.

2021 (Reserve) 

UAB, VU, ARK, Mizzou, UT, Charleston Southern, GaTech

2022 (Reserve)

OSU, TCU

2023 (Starter)

Tenn Martin, Ball St, S.Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, GaTech, *Bama (Got pulled from the game?) 

There's reason to question this resume.

Looks like he faced some really daunting pass rushers along the way, not! You fellas spin and manipulate those figures all you want. We had to have an OT. He is huge and has a high ceiling. The pass rushers that he will be facing at this level don't generally come from TM, UAB, CS, Ball St, or any of the weaker SEC teams that he faced. 

He will either sink or swim. Let's hope he swims.
Reply/Quote