Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Welcome Amarius Mims
Looks about like we're due to hit...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:01 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Why didn’t he play more at UGA? Honest question as he didn’t just hit a growth spurt or anything.

It’s called developing underclassmen so they are ready when it is their turn.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:36 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Trent Brown isn't going to start the entire year... knowing that and hopefully Mims gets some development time I like the pick.

Yes I'm annoyed the Bengals for what seems the 3rd or 4th year a row not drafting a day 1 starter... but this guy has top 5 talent if there was more tape.

With the players available, who were you targeting?

Because the only players on the board that would have been a day 1 starters were Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold. But that would just be because they'd be a higher rated prospect than DJ Turner, who we took in the 2nd round last year. I am not surprised at all that the coaches are not bailing on their 2nd round pick from 1 year ago.

Every other prospect, even if we traded up for a player like Byron Murphy, would be a part time player in their first year at best. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:48 AM)Synric Wrote: Duke Manyweather is Amarius Mims' private OL Coach. He is one of the best in the business.

Sign him too while we’re at it
Reply/Quote
He'll either be a great RT or he won't.  Since my crystal ball stopped working years ago I have no idea. Just be glad that I'm not in charge of evaluating the fortunes of young men for the Bengals. What I do know is the first time he gives up a sack more than a few people will instantly call him a bust...even if the sack is the first one in five years from now. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:11 AM)CJD Wrote: With the players available, who were you targeting?

Because the only players on the board that would have been a day 1 starters were Quinyon Mitchell or Terrion Arnold. But that would just be because they'd be a higher rated prospect than DJ Turner, who we took in the 2nd round last year. I am not surprised at all that the coaches are not bailing on their 2nd round pick from 1 year ago.

Every other prospect, even if we traded up for a player like Byron Murphy, would be a part time player in their first year at best. 

The Bengals board probabaly looked like Mims > Fautanu > Verse > Arnold > Thomas Jr. 

I'm not sure a MAC corner was on their board in the first round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:59 AM)CottonHill Wrote: He understandably plays upright with a narrow base which leads to lounging and being off balance at times.
I don’t dispute the guy is loaded with talent and tools…but he hantt played much competitive football. Wether it be injuries or not knocking the door down over a 5th rounder, that’s an issue. He’s not going to play guard at his size so unless one of our tackles get hurt he won’t contribute this year. We need contributors at multiple positions to win a Super Bowl.

Sure he should help in a year or two but at that point what will his stamina look like in a 17 game season?

Andrew Whitworth was 6’7” and 334 coming out of college and he played LG for the Bengals.

I’m not worried about the stamina of any UGA player. As far as I know, you may be the first person to question his stamina just looking for something to complain about.
Reply/Quote
Well, look at it this way: If he hadn't been injured this past year, and put up the kind of performance he did in the 8 games he started, then the Bengals would not have had a shot at drafting him at 18: he would have been top 10 and probably the 2nd OL after Alt.

He was there at 18 because of lack of starting experience and because other teams didn't have the luxury of having their first-round pick sit on the bench behind another starter, which the Bengals do. It may be a painful start to the 2024 season to have a first-rounder not seeing much action, but hopefully by mid-season he is primed and ready to dominate.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:12 AM)CottonHill Wrote: This has a lot of similarities to the noners pick of Trey Lance….nowhere near as bad due to capital given up but uncanny parallels.

Team ready to compete now drafting project players not ready to step in and make the team better.
Those players have surface level stats that rope in the surface level fan….no sacks for mins and no interceptions for Lance.both on one, shortened season.
By the time Mims is ready to start, hopefully next year, he will have played 7.5 games in 5 years. One year starter and was injured in that short span. No way he endures a 17 game season. Just no way.
His frame is truly impressive, not many guys carry that weight how he does. That’s because the human body isn’t meant to. Hence the injuries.
There were players on both boards where the noners or bengals could have upgraded a position of need.
Bottom line is: super bowls are won on the margins, you hit those margins by going all in….plugging holes on Super Bowl rosters because those rosters don’t last long. This one is already starting to unravel a bit and this pick doesn’t help hold it together at all

And you would probably be the one complaining about Joe Burrow’s hand size. And asking why he didn’t beat out J.T. Barrett an undrafted free agent who is out of the league.
Reply/Quote
Ok I’m moving on and hope the kid booms and somehow develops the stamina and retains health to play a whole season at some point. Still a lot of talent left on the board and I’ve liked our second rounders lately.
But after seeing the circle jerk in here and multiple guys sharing on Saban and Kirby it’s quite obvious the football knowledge is elementary at best. No problem just know that those ultra positive posts by the Nathan guy are trash. He keeps crapping on Latham, a guy who went 10 spots higher and he keeps on about Mims zero sacks. Well Latham gave up 2 in about 4x the snaps.
Also, a few post back the guy posted clarification from the Georgia side in regards to Sabans comments. They are even worse. Mims TOOK HIMSELF OUT after getting “bumped” on the ankle in a do or die game. Nice.
Finally, I said pass blocking was his weakness and he has a ways to go, well the same guy posted Kioers comments on Mims where he says his pass blocking is raw and a work in progress. It’s quite obvious in tape he blocks with his massive size in college. He will need more in the nfl
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:21 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And you would probably be the one complaining about Joe Burrow’s hand size. And asking why he didn’t beat out J.T. Barrett an undrafted free agent who is out of the league.

Burrow went on to start two full seasons and lead LSU ti a national title in the toughest league in the sport. He squashed those concerns in college, Mins has not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:14 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals board probabaly looked like Mims > Fautanu > Verse > Arnold > Thomas Jr. 

I'm not sure a MAC corner was on their board in the first round.

Agreed, I looked at Fautanu as somewhat of a risk because people just assume he’ll make a seamless to guard which isn’t always the case. Arnold played a lot of zone and had trouble guarding speed WR’s I want my 1st round CB to be fast and cover man to man.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was a bigger fan of Troy Fautanu who was still on the board (Damn you Steelers) and Mims worries me.

I do hope he follows the Whit blueprint and starts at LG until our current LT/RT goes elsewhere.

Just no. Let him focus on tackle...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:24 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know if I have been this excited for an OL in my life as a Bengals fan. I wasn't there for Munoz when he was drafted.

Amarius Mims is special in a great way, great balance, athleticism, size, strength and smarts. Best pick we could of made and I really liked
the dude the scum got in Fautanu but he doesn't have Mims upside by any means.

All you missed was the whining about Munoz's injury history
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:12 AM)CottonHill Wrote: This has a lot of similarities to the noners pick of Trey Lance….nowhere near as bad due to capital given up but uncanny parallels.

Team ready to compete now drafting project players not ready to step in and make the team better.
Those players have surface level stats that rope in the surface level fan….no sacks for mins and no interceptions for Lance.both on one, shortened season.
By the time Mims is ready to start, hopefully next year, he will have played 7.5 games in 5 years. One year starter and was injured in that short span. No way he endures a 17 game season. Just no way.
His frame is truly impressive, not many guys carry that weight how he does. That’s because the human body isn’t meant to. Hence the injuries.
There were players on both boards where the noners or bengals could have upgraded a position of need.
Bottom line is: super bowls are won on the margins, you hit those margins by going all in….plugging holes on Super Bowl rosters because those rosters don’t last long. This one is already starting to unravel a bit and this pick doesn’t help hold it together at all

Relax, this guy is a magnificent beast. It's not at all his fault that UGA has recruited so well in recent history that he had to wait his turn to see action. It's also not his fault that he was injured, by being rolled up on. 

We all are fans of a team that plays in a league where men with his combination of size and athletic ability are rare and highly sought after commodities. Our team happens to have one fall into their lap at #18, and some "fans" want to piss and moan about it??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
People talking about Mims' injury history. I know he had an ankle injury that shortened his senior year. What else did he have?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:19 AM)Nepa Wrote: Well, look at it this way: If he hadn't been injured this past year, and put up the kind of performance he did in the 8 games he started, then the Bengals would not have had a shot at drafting him at 18: he would have been top 10 and probably the 2nd OL after Alt.

He was there at 18 because of lack of starting experience and because other teams didn't have the luxury of having their first-round pick sit on the bench behind another starter, which the Bengals do. It may be a painful start to the 2014 season to have a first-rounder not seeing much action, but hopefully by mid-season he is primed and ready to dominate.

Alt, to my eye, looks slow and lumbering.  This kid looks like a freak.  I'm happy with the pick.  If they can get Newman in the second or Sweat with one of their thirds, it's a home run.  I know Sweat is a risk, but if there is a chance he could eat up room like Gilbert Brown, its worth one of the thirds.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People talking about Mims' injury history. I know he had an ankle injury that shortened his senior year. What else did he have?

He tweaked his hamstring at the combine.
Reply/Quote
I just hope they leave him at RT. Don't move him around please! Let the kid focus on his natural position, learning from T Brown, developing NFL RT habits so when he DOES get to play, he doesn't look lost or overwhelmed like Jackson Charmin.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 10:36 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I just hope they leave him at RT. Don't move him around please! Let the kid focus on his natural position, learning from T Brown, developing NFL RT habits so when he DOES get to play, he doesn't look lost or overwhelmed like Jackson Charmin.

Exactly!!!! Let him learn the position he was drafted to play
Reply/Quote