Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Welcome Amarius Mims
(04-26-2024, 01:17 AM)tms Wrote: Love this pick. I rarely love picks, so that's saying something. He's a beast. Best part is he can learn behind two pros and we needn't rush him right away. That doesn't mean we'll be waiting forever, just for him to get his feet and/or for... well... for Trent Brown to get hurt. We're finally building a sustainable OL room. It's not just band-aids like Reiff, Collins and Brown. Now we have a guy who'll be here for a minute. I'm really excited about Mr. Mims. I think he'll be fantastic.

I don't know if I have been this excited for an OL in my life as a Bengals fan. I wasn't there for Munoz when he was drafted.

Amarius Mims is special in a great way, great balance, athleticism, size, strength and smarts. Best pick we could of made and I really liked
the dude the scum got in Fautanu but he doesn't have Mims upside by any means.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:09 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No, I would like a Guard/Center but Mims can play all over the line with his smarts and athleticism. Mims is not Carman at all.

No, but he can, he has the smarts and ability. The most athletic player we have drafted and Amarius is extremely smart and about
as great of a puller as you could get. He can get to a spot quicker than any OL in this class.

Mims was behind great players and was just great depth and had a bad injury. Once he started he was the most beautiful thing to 
watch at OL and handled the best EDGE players better than anyone in this class. Crazy talent. I just hope he can make Pollack look
arlight who I have no faith in so far. Mellow

I guess we have different opinion of great players. Warren McClendon was who beat him out his first two years. He was a 5th rounder to LA and buried on their depth chart.
Reply/Quote
It’s a good day to be a Bengals fan

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:42 AM)CottonHill Wrote: I guess we have different opinion of great players. Warren McClendon was who beat him out his first two years. He was a 5th rounder to LA and buried on their depth chart.

Mims got injured and that was why McClendon played over him pretty sure.

Seriously, watch some youtube vids of Amarius Mims and tell me what you don't like...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:12 AM)CottonHill Wrote: This has a lot of similarities to the noners pick of Trey Lance….nowhere near as bad due to capital given up but uncanny parallels.

Team ready to compete now drafting project players not ready to step in and make the team better.
Those players have surface level stats that rope in the surface level fan….no sacks for mins and no interceptions for Lance.both on one, shortened season.
By the time Mims is ready to start, hopefully next year, he will have played 7.5 games in 5 years. One year starter and was injured in that short span. No way he endures a 17 game season. Just no way.
His frame is truly impressive, not many guys carry that weight how he does. That’s because the human body isn’t meant to. Hence the injuries.
There were players on both boards where the noners or bengals could have upgraded a position of need.
Bottom line is: super bowls are won on the margins, you hit those margins by going all in….plugging holes on Super Bowl rosters because those rosters don’t last long. This one is already starting to unravel a bit and this pick doesn’t help hold it together at all

Wow, just when I thought some of these post couldn't get any dumber, someone posts crap like this. Couldn't be more ill-informed if a person tried...
Reply/Quote
I am ok with this although he wasn’t one of my top choices for an OT.
Negative - His lack of starts and injuries are concerning.
Positive - he is huge but moves very well for his size. He doesn’t look like he’s 340 and it looks like he could carry another 20lbs easily (but shouldn’t). I also liked that he showed good recognition on his film. If a guy was taking his rush inside he passed him off and picked up the guy outside pretty quickly.
Glad they are addressing an area that has been a weakness for too long. I just hope they got the right guy this time.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This is wild. LOL
That's so unfair!!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:49 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims got injured and that was why McClendon played over him pretty sure.

Seriously, watch some youtube vids of Amarius Mims and tell me what you don't like...

He understandably plays upright with a narrow base which leads to lounging and being off balance at times.
I don’t dispute the guy is loaded with talent and tools…but he hantt played much competitive football. Wether it be injuries or not knocking the door down over a 5th rounder, that’s an issue. He’s not going to play guard at his size so unless one of our tackles get hurt he won’t contribute this year. We need contributors at multiple positions to win a Super Bowl.

Sure he should help in a year or two but at that point what will his stamina look like in a 17 game season?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:53 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am ok with this although he wasn’t one of my top choices for an OT.
Negative - His lack of starts and injuries are concerning.
Positive - he is huge but moves very well for his size. He doesn’t look like he’s 340 and it looks like he could carry another 20lbs easily (but shouldn’t).  I also liked that he showed good recognition on his film. If a guy was taking his rush inside he passed him off and picked up the guy outside pretty quickly.  
Glad they are addressing an area that has been a weakness for too long.  I just hope they got the right guy this time.

Thanks Clark for taking the time to look at his film unlike Cotton Hill.

The one thing that stands out to me besides the obvious athleticism and balance is that Amarius Mims is really smart.

You can tell when he talks and he is all about ball the same as Joe Burrow. I think they got the right guy, 

I just hope we have an OL coach that doesn't screw him up. The main reason in the future I might like Fautanu more, screw u stoolpitt. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:00 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Clark for taking the time to look at his film unlike Cotton Hill.

The one thing that stands out to me besides the obvious athleticism and balance is that Amarius Mims is really smart.

You can tell when he talks and he is all about ball the same as Joe Burrow. I think they got the right guy, 

I just hope we have an OL coach that doesn't screw him up. The main reason in the future I might like Fautanu more, screw u stoolpitt. Whatever

Check the post above this. And I watched his team play my Alma mater in the sec championship game and didn’t notice him. Probably because he only played 15 snaps. Saban mentioned that tonight and didn’t have a clue why he was taken out.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:42 AM)CottonHill Wrote: I guess we have different opinion of great players. Warren McClendon was who beat him out his first two years. He was a 5th rounder to LA and buried on their depth chart.

And Joe Burrow couldn’t beat out Dwayne Haskins or JT Barrett at Ohio State…

I think we get that you hate the pick at this point, guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:05 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Check the post above this. And I watched his team play my Alma mater in the sec championship game and didn’t notice him. Probably because he only played 15 snaps. Saban mentioned that tonight and didn’t have a clue why he was taken out.

Your post above is shit and terribly written, sorry that I couldn't get through it.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 12:12 AM)CottonHill Wrote: This has a lot of similarities to the noners pick of Trey Lance….nowhere near as bad due to capital given up but uncanny parallels.

Team ready to compete now drafting project players not ready to step in and make the team better.
Those players have surface level stats that rope in the surface level fan….no sacks for mins and no interceptions for Lance.both on one, shortened season.
By the time Mims is ready to start, hopefully next year, he will have played 7.5 games in 5 years. One year starter and was injured in that short span. No way he endures a 17 game season. Just no way.
His frame is truly impressive, not many guys carry that weight how he does. That’s because the human body isn’t meant to. Hence the injuries.
There were players on both boards where the noners or bengals could have upgraded a position of need.
Bottom line is: super bowls are won on the margins, you hit those margins by going all in….plugging holes on Super Bowl rosters because those rosters don’t last long. This one is already starting to unravel a bit and this pick doesn’t help hold it together at all

List them.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:05 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Check the post above this. And I watched his team play my Alma mater in the sec championship game and didn’t notice him. Probably because he only played 15 snaps. Saban mentioned that tonight and didn’t have a clue why he was taken out.

If Saban said that he is full of shit. But, he loves to whine.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Not a fan of the pick. Would rather have had a player that could contribute immediately. Mitchell, Newton, etc.

Zero confidence the Bengals can develop him into a round 1 worthy starter.

Should have traded up for Myrphy. Such a whiff.
 I don't know if trading up was an option.  The DT Murphy did go off the board at pick 16, who Bengals were set to take per all pre draft talk.  With the DT gone they wanted, they went for O Line help that some on here said they should draft.  One Bengals veteran tackle is set to be a free agent at end of season.  Adding Mims now covers that, plus Mims won't just ride the bench all 2024, he will be forced into action enough. Bengals.com says they have a 49ers size O Line now, so Bengals happy about that. 

The draft has just started. This was only round one. Much more to come. So much offense went in round one, there is still a ton of defense undrafted and a ton of top WR's going into Rounds 2 and 3. The run on QB's helps Bengals with so many defense and WR's and RB's still undrafted. There is good talent on the board because teams needing QB were grabbing round 2 or round 3 QB's in 1, because of the run on QB's early. So there will be Round One type talent at Defense or WR in 2 for Bengals, due to all the QB's taken in round one. That is per ESPN such as Mel Kiper saying some teams were taking round 2 or round 3 QB's in round 1, If so, that leaves round 1 players on the board for Bengals in round 2.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was a bigger fan of Troy Fautanu who was still on the board (Damn you Steelers) and Mims worries me.

I do hope he follows the Whit blueprint and starts at LG until our current LT/RT goes elsewhere.

It’s really starting to sound more and more like the nfl sees Troy as a Guard. I’m sure he will play tackle at times but I strongly believe they passed on Troy cuz of him being probably a better guard.
Gimme Newton here in the second and I may just turn the draft off and be thrilled!!!
Reply/Quote
I found some context on Nick Saban's critical remarks on ABC regarding the Mim's selection.

First, Saban's comments: "This guy’s got all the tools -- he’s got great size, he’s got great power,” Saban said. “But it makes you wonder, how did the guy only start 8 [games?] Like, in the SEC championship game, he played only the first 15 plays of the game and then he’s out. Takes himself out. I don’t know what he injured, what he hurt, whatever. But you’ve got to be a little bit more consistent in your performance if you’re going to be a great player and a starter in the National Football League.”

[Georgia lost 27-24 to Alabama in the game Saban is talking about and Georgia ended up missing the College Football Playoff.]

“One of the things that I see in guys -- he went to a small high school,” Saban continued. “He was always bigger and better than everybody else. So do you ever really develop the traits that you need to have to compete against guys that are as good as you? He’s gonna play against guys that are as good as him, now. So if he didn’t develop those habits, he better focus on them now.”

Now, some context from a Georgia site:

“It wasn’t my proudest game, honestly,” Mims said at the NFL combine. “I went down, I want to say, play 12. I wish I could have finished the game with my guys. We fell up short, but like I said, if I could go back to that game, I wish I wouldn’t have got bumped up on my ankle again. But, like I said, if we were 100 percent healthy, it would have been a different outcome in that game, honestly.”

Mims started just eight games during his college career. He spent his first two seasons behind Broderick Jones and Warren McClendon, who were both taken in the 2023 NFL Draft. Jones was a first-round pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers

Mims missed six games during the 2023 season after he suffered an ankle injury that required surgery. He did return to the team and start before getting hurt against Alabama.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nick-saban-amarius-mims-2024-nfl-draft/UX23OXXJSZC6LH4WEXVM4ILH3E/
Reply/Quote
Unlike Saban, and those who dissed the pick on ABC as a project, Mel Kiper was big on the pick:

The biggest hands I’ve seen in a while. Long, long arms. Unbelievable arm length. Only eight starts, he had the ankle this year, but if you look at him, I love his footwork and agility for such a huge massive bookend. Run blocker, you talk about his powerful hands, he displaces defenders on initial contact and down blocking prowess, developing into a force at the second level, that can happen.

“As a pass blocker he’s still a bit raw, but he has pretty good movement, the power of a base anchor and arms to lock out.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/nick-saban-amarius-mims-2024-nfl-draft/UX23OXXJSZC6LH4WEXVM4ILH3E/
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 11:36 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: For people who are upset with the pick, Trent Brown has played 9 seasons and played a full season 3 times. Mims will get playing time.

more worried about his lack of starting time in college.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 01:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
This is wild. LOL

This is hilarious. Best post on this thread!????
Reply/Quote