Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Chidobe Awuzie
(03-16-2021, 01:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Why not 3 OL starters in the draft? 

If your plan is to get 3 quality starting OL in the draft, that's not a plan. That's a hope, which is not how good teams are built, let alone championship teams.

That's how bad teams that get their 1st overall QB hurt... again... are built.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is this serious? 

Fill out the roster? They are letting quality players slip away because they are too cheap to pay them. There is basically no upgrades left at OL - you know, the reason why you saved all that money by not bringing back lawson and jackson.  

Warford, Andrews, Jackson, Williams, Schwartz, Fisher (depending on recovery timetable) are all upgrades on our O-line. You’re overreacting.
Reply/Quote
Not a great signing, but he's not bad. 2020 was a down year. 2017-2019 were (much) better.
He's young and has good size to stay outside.
If it's him in place of WJ3, I do think it's a downgrade, but it's not severe.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like this grab. Awuzie is a good Zone Corner which is what we needed. WJ3 was a purely man Corner.
Reply/Quote
I've, legitimately, never heard of this guy. Not even in preparation for the draft, unless I'm forgetting him entirely.

Just checking his PFF grades, it looks like he had a really good rookie year (78.4), a good pair of years in 2018 and 2019 (64.8 and 72.2) and then a pretty bad year in 2020 (51.9). But, to be fair to him, the entire Dallas defense was a mess in 2020 so maybe the dip is due to a teamwide collapse. He seems to be similar to WJIII in that he doesn't really produce many turnovers, so hopefully he's a good cover corner.

It looks like the numbers haven't been released yet (unless I'm missing a tweet somewhere), so we'll see how good of a signing it is then.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not a great signing, but he's not bad. 2020 was a down year. 2017-2019 were (much) better.
He's young and has good size to stay outside.
If it's him in place of WJ3, I do think it's a downgrade, but it's not severe.

I'm going to call it lateral until I am told otherwise that the plan isn't to be more zone-centric in 2021. If they have him playing man more than 40% of snaps then yea we got some issues.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Why not 3 OL starters in the draft?  definitely can get 2...pick 5 and 38 can easily and should be able to start day one especially a tackle and a OG...Whitworth was pick 55 and started game 2 of his career....Zeitler was pick 27, not that far off, and started all 16 games his rookie year....Robert Hunt pick 39 last year started 11 games....Cody Ford was pick 38 in 2019, started 15 games his rookie year and beat out Quentin Spain (you know that name) last year, starting 7 games before going on IR.....It is not impossible to get 2 quality starting OL in the draft at the very least

You can get 2 like Ced & Fisher.... I am done w hoping young guys develop on the o line. Joe Burrow is good NOW. The skill spots are giod NOW. They have the money to make the o line good NOW.

Hope is not a plan. Wish is not a plan. I'm done w that. I am also pleased w the 2 signings and happy to let the FA period play through. Plenty of time to work. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If your plan is to get 3 quality starting OL in the draft, that's not a plan. That's a hope, which is not how good teams are built, let alone championship teams.

Especially with all teams knowing what you are desperate to get. Here comes the trade up to the spot ahead of the Bengals to take the Oline prospect they were sitting pat for. 

We've read this script before. It's how we got Price, Zeitler, Hall, Sample etc...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:40 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Warford, Andrews, Jackson, Williams, Schwartz, Fisher (depending on recovery timetable) are all upgrades on our O-line. You’re overreacting.

These injury riddled players are gambles and not enough to put your hope into protecting a franchise qb. None of these should cause us to pass on Oline help. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm going to call it lateral until I am told otherwise that the plan isn't to be more zone-centric in 2021. If they have him playing man more than 40% of snaps then yea we got some issues.

I think we can agree though that the team did not get better from the Hendrickson and Awuzie signings, as they just replace Lawson and likely WJ3.
There aren't really any remaining FAs that are going to get me excited about the team at this point.

The excitement for me, if it comes, will be based on the draft picks.

I think they should still get the following in FA:
- 2 OL
- 1 DT
- 1 slot CB
- pass catcher

Do that, and I think that sets up the draft well.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: These injury riddled players are gambles and not enough to put your hope into protecting a franchise qb. None of these should cause us to pass on Oline help. 

I didn’t say not address it in draft did I? But I’d much rather have 2 of these guys and Sewell, than Sewell and 2 other drafted Oline.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think we can agree though that the team did not get better from the Hendrickson and Awuzie signings, as they just replace Lawson and likely WJ3.
There aren't really any remaining FAs that are going to get me excited about the team at this point.

- 2 OL
- 1 DT
- 1 slot CB
- pass catcher

Right, we are basically the same team and that really is the issue. I think we could potentially see a great value at WR that we all expected was going to be out of our price. Not a Golladay/JuJu/Fuller but that next tier has had almost no action from what I was reading. They said the money is about to dry up league wide soon, so I think we will be able to maybe do a little better in some places than we expected while potentially being a little worse than we hoped in others.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, we are basically the same team and that really is the issue. I think we could potentially see a great value at WR that we all expected was going to be out of our price. Not a Golladay/JuJu/Fuller but that next tier has had almost no action from what I was reading. They said the money is about to dry up league wide soon, so I think we will be able to maybe do a little better in some places than we expected while potentially being a little worse than we hoped in others.

I was wondering about how little attention the WR group was getting. Bring on John Brown, Chris Conley, maybe even a TY Hilton.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I was wondering about how little attention the WR group was getting. Bring on John Brown, Chris Conley, maybe even a TY Hilton.

Yea, I think we are definitely in play for a really solid WR 3. I do know Hilton was asked to take any offer he got back to the Colts before leaving so he may be harder to get.
Reply/Quote
Sidegrade from WJ. He’s a good zone corner and they do need those more. It’s why I would have prioritized Farley in the draft and not Surtain.

I like Hendrickson, I see him being as good if not better than Lawson.

But still not addressing O line is....very concerning
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: I was wondering about how little attention the WR group was getting. Bring on John Brown, Chris Conley, maybe even a TY Hilton.

I've always liked the idea of Sammy Watkins being a Bengal.
He put up 421-2 on 55 targets. Green basically got double those targets, so perhaps Watkins could be a 800+ yard, 4+ TD guy in Taylor's system.
Watkins, Higgins, Boyd could make for a quality WR group.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think we can agree though that the team did not get better from the Hendrickson and Awuzie signings, as they just replace Lawson and likely WJ3.

- 2 OL
- 1 DT
- 1 slot CB
- pass catcher

No one? Really? I’d be excited if golladay came to town. Not saying They will or should do it.

I would have been excited with Shaquille griffin over chidobe. Of course griffin just went to Jacksonville.

Let’s fill a couple more holes. Sign a guard, a te and someone like Larry ogonjobi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:23 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: No one?  Really?  I’d be excited if golladay came to town.  Not saying They will or should do it.

I would have been excited with Shaquille griffin over chidobe.  Of course griffin just went to Jacksonville.

Let’s fill a couple more holes.  Sign a guard, a te and someone like Larry ogonjobi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Griffin deal interestingly enough was similar to the deal we gave Waynes last year everyone hated and they are actually really similar players. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Why not 3 OL starters in the draft?  definitely can get 2...pick 5 and 38 can easily and should be able to start day one especially a tackle and a OG...Whitworth was pick 55 and started game 2 of his career....Zeitler was pick 27, not that far off, and started all 16 games his rookie year....Robert Hunt pick 39 last year started 11 games....Cody Ford was pick 38 in 2019, started 15 games his rookie year and beat out Quentin Spain (you know that name) last year, starting 7 games before going on IR.....It is not impossible to get 2 quality starting OL in the draft at the very least

Well Cause rookies arent usually up to par in protecting the QB   

And we havent done a great job drafting OL in a few years now.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If your plan is to get 3 quality starting OL in the draft, that's not a plan. That's a hope, which is not how good teams are built, let alone championship teams.

Did you read the original reply and follow the thread or did you just pull out one sentence with no context?  I know the answer, you pulled out one line out of context.  I stated we should go 3 OL if the def is shored up with an additional edge and slot CB and adding a vet OL.  Do you not have to look to the future?  Do we not want to protect Burrow?  You know maybe you draft a guy in round 3 and he is a gem and beats out the vet that was signed.  Maybe in a year or two he learns under the vet and becomes a very good OL.  This draft is DEEP in OL, especially in the first 3 rounds....use those picks to possibly shore up the line for the next 5-7 years instead of 1 or 2 years.  Obviously Free Agency did not work out for the OL....you cannot take just one OL in the draft and hope that a 5th or 6th round pick works out, we already have several of those on the roster now.
Reply/Quote