Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Chidobe Awuzie
(03-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: That Griffin deal interestingly enough was similar to the deal we gave Waynes last year everyone hated and they are actually really similar players. 

Yea, that is an aggressive contract for Griffin (44.5M over 3 years). I still can't find the terms for Awuzie, but if they are in the 9 million dollar per year range, as predicted, I'd be pretty happy with that, especially compared to the Griffin contract.

As an aside, if that is what Griffin is worth, what the hell do you think WJIII will eventually settle on? haha. He may be in the 16 to 17 million dollar range at this rate.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, that is an aggressive contract for Griffin (44.5M over 3 years). I still can't find the terms for Awuzie, but if they are in the 9 million dollar per year range, as predicted, I'd be pretty happy with that, especially compared to the Griffin contract.

As an aside, if that is what Griffin is worth, what the hell do you think WJIII will eventually settle on? haha. He may be in the 16 to 17 million dollar range 3at this rate.

Mike Garafolo said on the NFL Network he had a alot of teams going after him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well Cause rookies arent usually up to par in protecting the QB   

And we havent done a great job drafting OL in a few years now.

It is about making the right pick and yes I agree with you.  They have not done a good job in the last few years but that does not mean they don't nail it this year, especially if Sewell is there at 5, it should be as easy as taking Burrow last year.  Honestly, I could have told you in the year that they took CedO and Fisher that those were horrible picks.  Those two offenses that they came from were not NFL type offensive lines, run and shoot OL do not work out in the NFL that often.  Give me any senior OG from Iowa, ND, Wisconsin or Stanford any day of the week and it would almost be a guaranteed upgrade from what we have now.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, that is an aggressive contract for Griffin (44.5M over 3 years). I still can't find the terms for Awuzie, but if they are in the 9 million dollar per year range, as predicted, I'd be pretty happy with that, especially compared to the Griffin contract.

As an aside, if that is what Griffin is worth, what the hell do you think WJIII will eventually settle on? haha. He may be in the 16 to 17 million dollar range at this rate.

That is what is curious about this situation. It would seem the big CB spenders have already jumped in as a lot of teams are waiting for the market to cool, but who knows. 
Reply/Quote
Also, as an aside, check out how bummed Cowboys fans are that we signed Awuzie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cowboys/comments/m6bhbv/garafolo_bengals_agree_to_terms_on_a_threeyear/

That's always a good sign (as a comparison, I saw a lot of Steeler fans apologizing to Chargers fans when they signed Feiler, saying he feil off hard at the end of the year).
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:54 PM)Burma Wrote: Per PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-nfl-free-agents-remaining-2021-nfl-free-agency

I wold have prefered Malcom Butler, but this may be a solid depth signing.

He looks like a good 2nd line guy that plays well in zone. Looks like a decent fit. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

[Image: major-league-theyre-still-shitty-1.jpg?w=651&ssl=1]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
So they replace a man-corner with a cheaper zone-corner. Doesn't Lou the Poo run more of a zone scheme? Seems to be a better fit for what he wants, if that's the case. Besides, Waynes hasn't played a Bengals snap yet, has too much dead money if cut, and I'm not breaking the bank on a so-so player with like 3-4 career INTs. Smart signing in my opinion. Phillips showed enough last year to warrant battling it out with this guy and hopefully another signee in TC for a starting spot.
Reply/Quote
Trae Waynes is the WJIII replacement. This guy is the McKensie replacement
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:50 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: So they replace a man-corner with a cheaper zone-corner. Doesn't Lou the Poo run more of a zone scheme? Seems to be a better fit for what he wants, if that's the case. Besides, Waynes hasn't played a Bengals snap yet, has too much dead money if cut, and I'm not breaking the bank on a so-so player with like 3-4 career INTs. Smart signing in my opinion. Phillips showed enough last year to warrant battling it out with this guy and hopefully another signee in TC for a starting spot.

This, plus if we get Hilton it might even be an upgrade over Alexander even though I want him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 02:31 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Did you read the original reply and follow the thread or did you just pull out one sentence with no context?  I know the answer, you pulled out one line out of context.  I stated we should go 3 OL if the def is shored up with an additional edge and slot CB and adding a vet OL.  Do you not have to look to the future?  Do we not want to protect Burrow?  You know maybe you draft a guy in round 3 and he is a gem and beats out the vet that was signed.  Maybe in a year or two he learns under the vet and becomes a very good OL.  This draft is DEEP in OL, especially in the first 3 rounds....use those picks to possibly shore up the line for the next 5-7 years instead of 1 or 2 years.  Obviously Free Agency did not work out for the OL....you cannot take just one OL in the draft and hope that a 5th or 6th round pick works out, we already have several of those on the roster now.

It has nothing to do with one sentence out of context, because the future is when Burrow is crippled because he's not protected in the present. That's what "looking to the future" when you have nothing in the present will get you.

You just gave me two "maybes" as part of your plan. Maybe he's a gem in round 3, maybe he learns for a couple years and becomes very good.

None of the picks are going to shore up the line for the next 5-7 years because that's not how NFL contracts work. Anyone taken after Round 1 is only controlled for 4 years. I'm not even sure where you're getting 1-2 years as neither Linsley, Thuney, Feiler, or Zeitler signed for 1-2 years and none of them are retiring in 1-2 years either.

Even expecting two quality starting OL year 1 from a single draft is also not a plan, man. At that point you're requiring that 2 guys you draft immediately become quality day 1 starters and don't get hurt. (Neither is exactly the norm for the Bengals.)

They don't have time to take 1-2 years and learn, and you can't absorb an injury to one of them because your depth is Billy Price. Burrow needs protected now, in 2021. A plan where you go and get 3 OL from the draft (and some mythical vet that obviously isn't a top guy because those are gone) is not a solid plan for success.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Only thing that worries me about this guy is he missed games with covid. I don't know if it was because of contact tracing, or if he actually had it. If he had it, lots of people who got through it with minimal side effects are returning to their doctors and tests are showing decreased lung capacity and enlarged hearts. Hopefully this is not the case for this young man. But we don't need a corner that can't get his wind. If he's healthy, I think he's an upgrade.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
His size worries me at 5'9. But he's been in the AFCN long enough without issue, and the TE's aren't outrageously tall.

edit: Thought I was in the Hilton thread.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Has anyone gotten a Chidobe over this pickup?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is this serious? 

Fill out the roster? They are letting quality players slip away because they are too cheap to pay them. There is basically no upgrades left at OL - you know, the reason why you saved all that money by not bringing back lawson and jackson.  

spaking of WJ III,......whats up with him? still no one has ponied up that cash that everyone is saying he is going to get?
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:35 PM)pally Wrote:

Basically we took Jackson’s money and split it between Hilton and Awuzie which is a solid move.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Basically we took Jackson’s money and split it between Hilton and Awuzie which is a solid move.

Yes, I like it. The moves have been good so far, lots of players out there still to choose from.

Getting ancy about the OL though. Bring in Hudson, Gabe Jackson and Donald Kelly...
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 05:35 PM)pally Wrote:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that is a FANTASTIC deal!
Reply/Quote