Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome Jackson Carman New Bengals OL
(05-01-2021, 12:15 AM)bengaloo Wrote: It was a head scratcher for me at first but I mostly because I remember someone on here talking about Pollack's wide zone scheme and how some of these really big guys wouldnt fit well in it. But I trust Pollack to know the guys he wants and apparently the 330+ guys are not out of the question after all. 

Carman can move man and we wouldn't of picked him if he was "paralyzed" like some debbie downers are saying lol
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:17 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Carman can move man and we wouldn't of picked him if he was "paralyzed" like some debbie downers are saying lol

I think he's going to beat out XSF honestly. This dude is huge and can move well enough to be the starting OT for Clemson, who is no joke obviously. As an OG, I'm excited to see what he can do. Love that he's a local kid. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:20 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I think he's going to beat out XSF honestly. This dude is huge and can move well enough to be the starting OT for Clemson, who is no joke obviously. As an OG, I'm excited to see what he can do. Love that he's a local kid. 

Thinking the same. Spain was thrown into the fire and helped the Line big time. The PFF score doesn't tell the whole story
especially with Spain who came in late in the season on Thursday and had to start that very Sunday. I think the Line as of 
now is muchly improved and will continue.

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Quinton Spain
C- Trey Hopkins (think he is looking good as we passed on Creed)
RG- Jackson Carman
RT- Riley Reiff

And we haven't even got to our 3 4th rounders and 2 5ths...
Reply/Quote
As a Sewell guy, I love this pick. Walter Football said multiple scouts said this guy could sneak into the first round, so I don't see why people think it was a reach.

And I absolutely love that he's from Fairfield, worked with Willie Anderson, and was thrilled the Bengals picked him. Awesome story.

Would I rather have Sewell and Marshall? You betcha. That said, it went about as well as it could've if we had to pick Chase.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As a Sewell guy, I love this pick. Walter Football said multiple scouts said this guy could sneak into the first round, so I don't see why people think it was a reach.

And I absolutely love that he's from Fairfield, worked with Willie Anderson, and was thrilled the Bengals picked him. Awesome story.

Would I rather have Sewell and Marshall? You betcha. That said, it went about as well as it could've if we had to pick Chase.

Well said Shake and we can get another OL or 2 in the 4th with the trade. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:25 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking the same. Spain was thrown into the fire and helped the Line big time. The PFF score doesn't tell the whole story
especially with Spain who came in late in the season on Thursday and had to start that very Sunday. I think the Line as of 
now is muchly improved and will continue.

LT- Jonah Williams
LG- Quinton Spain
C- Trey Hopkins (think he is looking good as we passed on Creed)
RG- Jackson Carman
RT- Riley Reiff

And we haven't even got to our 3 4th rounders and 2 5ths...

That looks way better than last year, and having a guy like XSF is better than Redmond or Jordan coming off the bench. Spain I feel pretty good on. Like you say he was thrown in the fire. He played multiple positions on the fly too and didnt suck. We could still use another OL in the draft and hopefully someone good will come out post June 1st cuts. I like the starters we have better than last year but we need depth behind them too. Guys like Redmond, Jordan, Calhoun seem like liabilities. Hoping Adeniji improves so he provides more quality depth. Health will be the key this season.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:55 AM)bengaloo Wrote: That looks way better than last year, and having a guy like XSF is better than Redmond or Jordan coming off the bench. Spain I feel pretty good on. Like you say he was thrown in the fire. He played multiple positions on the fly too and didnt suck. We could still use another OL in the draft and hopefully someone good will come out post June 1st cuts. I like the starters we have better than last year but we need depth behind them too. Guys like Redmond, Jordan, Calhoun seem like liabilities. Hoping Adeniji improves so he provides more quality depth. 

If we can stay healthy I think we have at least an adequate offensive line. It's more about having guys miss a bunch of games we go from bad to terrible.

I think Spain seems solid. T's are good when healthy. Hopkins has been serviceable on a bad line so I'm hoping he will only improve with better guys around him. XSF is a solid veteran presence. He definitely improved the line once him and Spain got to play together for sure at least last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great road grading Guard that played against top pass rushers as a Tackle for one of if not the best team in the Nation as of late.

Great pick while adding a couple 4th round picks.  Wink

Right. The added picks really make this one shine up nicelyThumbsUp

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:55 AM)bengaloo Wrote: That looks way better than last year, and having a guy like XSF is better than Redmond or Jordan coming off the bench. Spain I feel pretty good on. Like you say he was thrown in the fire. He played multiple positions on the fly too and didnt suck. We could still use another OL in the draft and hopefully someone good will come out post June 1st cuts. I like the starters we have better than last year but we need depth behind them too. Guys like Redmond, Jordan, Calhoun seem like liabilities. Hoping Adeniji improves so he provides more quality depth. Health will be the key this season.

Isn't Redmond gone? Thought he was. Anyways depth is key more than thinking we only have to replace our guys.

Just get the best O-lineman and have them compete, whoever wins out I am fine with regardless of the name.

I trust in Pollack, much more so than Turner. Looking at the Line scores of Spain and Price when they played under Turner
is crazy staggering. Gonna have to bump the Pollack thread where Stewy brought it back. Bigger move than some think in a
great way bringing Pollack back here. Both Spain and Price played terrible under Turner. Bad coaching.
Reply/Quote
I would not have picked him but I'm behind him all the way.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Some more high praise:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/bengals_new_lineman_jackson_carman_receives_big_time_praise_hes_a_first_round_talent/s1_16652_34781717
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 11:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman endorsed by Willie Anderson as a guy who can play OG and RT.

https://twitter.com/geoffhobsoncin/status/1388298630541582339?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I just trust the opinion of the guy who made the thread laughing at Carman more than potential HoFer Willie Anderson.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Yes
Reply/Quote
Huge. At one point I thought he was a sure fire first rounder. Only 21. I think if he went back to school he would probably be at the top if not the top returning OL in CFB. 21 year old true junior home town boy with immense potential and already has ties to our franchise greats on the OL.

Pumped about this. I wasn’t keen on the idea of looking for smaller athletic guys to run a wide zone. This is the AFC North in the NFL. If your scheme can’t use big powerful guys then your scheme doesn’t fit.
Reply/Quote
I really like the selection and I like that we added more picks in the 4th while getting an extremely experienced and proven lineman. Jackson is a good lineman and those hating on the pick are obviously not looking at it objectively. He is a mountain that has crazy athleticism for his size. He has good feet and a high football IQ.

Jackson will compete for a day 1 starting position and I believe he will be the opening day starting LG. While I do not see him playing LT in the NFL, other than in an emergency, I do believe that he could be a high quality RT should they not reach another deal with Reiff or have another option in place.

He has played a lot of football at a very high level and working with Frank Pollack will only make him even better!

Welcome aboard young man.
Reply/Quote
There seems to be some conflicting reports on his arm length...

Reply/Quote
The more I read about him the more I like the pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl/hot-take-tuesday-jackson-carman-is-getting-drafted-a-lot-higher-than-you-think

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jackson-carman-nfl-draft-player-profile-clemson-guard/

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2021/04/29/jackson-carman-rare-high-round-draft-pick-clemson/7320569002/
Reply/Quote