Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst
(03-18-2022, 01:39 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm just happy that we're not rolling with Sample as TE1. Hurst will be a nice bridge for whatever TE we draft.

I like some guys in the second and third rounds this year for sure
Reply/Quote
Signing Hurst was a REALLY good move for this organization.

He has similar output and performance to CJ. CJ would have cost us around 24 million over 3 years. Hurst is only 3 million for a year. He can bridge the gap between this year and drafting a quality TE either this year or next.

This is the difference between smart and poor organizations.

Man, I REALLY cant believe someone paid CJ 24 million. Thats insane.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Signing Hurst was a REALLY  good move for this organization.

He has similar output and performance to CJ. CJ would have cost us around 24 million over 3 years. Hurst is only 3 million for a year. He can bridge the gap between this year and drafting a quality TE either this year or next.

Glad the guy got paid, and I'm sure he had big-picture career goals in mind as well, but yeah you can't pay that kind of money for someone who's biggest contribution to the team is their locker room personality.  In terms of production alone he is replaceable at a fraction of that cost.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 09:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Signing Hurst was a REALLY good move for this organization.

Teams like the Jets are like the Bengals last year. They need a culture boost. They wanted his locker room presence. He’s more valuable to them.
Reply/Quote
I believe Hurst will have a better year this year than CJ. Simple fact is, Burrow, Chase, Tee, and Higgins. CJ was able to be the forgotten man here, he won’t get that in NY, plus Burrow excelled in intermediate throws, and is better than Wilson. If hurst can produce similar numbers to CJ last year, no problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Teams like the Jets are like the Bengals last year. They need a culture boost. They wanted his locker room presence. He’s more valuable to them.

I just don't agree with that. Hayden Hurst seems like a stand up guy. You can find good guys all over the league, you don't have to overpay for them. 
Reply/Quote
is this an upgrade or just a spot filler?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is this an upgrade or just a spot filler?

Both? His career best year was better than CJ’s career best year, but I’m sure TE will still be a priority in the mid rounds of the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
He doesn’t look as athletic as CJ on tape but has better stats. A longer deal would have been preferable to allow us to draft and develop a receiving tight end. This is still is an excellent signing at that price
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:48 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I believe Hurst will have a better year this year than CJ. Simple fact is, Burrow, Chase, Tee, and Higgins. CJ was able to be the forgotten man here, he won’t get that in NY, plus Burrow excelled in intermediate throws, and is better than Wilson. If hurst can produce similar numbers to CJ last year, no problem.

CJ also had to compete with Chase, Tee, and Boyd for receptions. Why throw to the tight end when you have three of the best receivers in the league?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:57 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: He doesn’t look as athletic as CJ on tape but has better stats. A longer deal would have been preferable to allow us to draft and develop a receiving tight end. This is still is an excellent signing at that price

So what you're saying is that he looks whiter than CJ, therefore slower. Ninja

At least Hurst has a lunchpail and is sneaky athletic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is this an upgrade or just a spot filler?

Spot filler. Seems like he offers the same offensively but his blocking is a downgrade. 
Reply/Quote
Upgrade over Uzo as far as a player with high upside being a former first round pick. Nice.
Reply/Quote
Watching his tape, he has very quick feet and burst. I can see why he was a first round draft pick. With Burrow throwing to him, I expect his stats will be better than CJs. Extremely happy with the pickup.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 01:35 PM)rupe Wrote: Watching his tape, he has very quick feet and burst.  I can see why he was a first round draft pick. With Burrow throwing to him, I expect his stats will be better than CJs.  Extremely happy with the pickup.

Yeah, anyone complaining about this pickup is just unhappy we haven't gotten a RT yet.

Hurst is a clear upgrade over Uzo. Better hands, better feet, runs much crisper routes, is faster and just a more natural catcher of 
the football. Goes up for the ball much better than Uzo. Uzo was a great teammate and funny dude but Hurst is a much better pass
catching TE. Expect he has his best year as a pro with Burrow throwing to him. We are much better in the Red Zone now.

I know who is also happy about this. Joe
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, anyone complaining about this pickup is just unhappy we don't get twice as much salary cap to work with than the other teams..

FIFY Honestly, this was a very smart and savvy signing. Half the price, yet fully developed player with a good helping of splash plays on his resume.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: FIFY

True too lol
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, anyone complaining about this pickup is just unhappy we haven't gotten a RT yet.

Hurst is a clear upgrade over Uzo. Better hands, better feet, runs much crisper routes, is faster and just a more natural catcher of 
the football. Goes up for the ball much better than Uzo. Uzo was a great teammate and funny dude but Hurst is a much better pass
catching TE. Expect he has his best year as a pro with Burrow throwing to him. We are much better in the Red Zone now.

I know who is also happy about this. Joe

Think this pretty well sums things up.

Hurst is a nice addition and only a few years removed from being a first round pick. 

Going to have a chance to come in to Cincinnati and be the top TE and have a good season.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:35 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Think this pretty well sums things up.

Hurst is a nice addition and only a few years removed from being a first round pick. 

Going to have a chance to come in to Cincinnati and be the top TE and have a good season.

My only complaint is it is only a 1 year deal. 

He might be spendy after putting up a career year production wise and scoring lots of TD's. Like you said, he is young to boot.

Surprised the Falcons let him get away but I guess they expect Pitts to be the main guy at TE now even though I think more of 
him as a WR. Hurst can block a little too, maybe not as well as Uzo but he isn't a terrible blocker.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:35 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Think this pretty well sums things up.

Yep he was over shadowed by Andrews who is a top 5 TE.  Then he went to Atlanta and had a pretty good season on a somewhat bad team before they drafted Pitts who I'm sure many here recall during the great draft debate of 2021 was considered a "generational talent".    Now he gets a new start on a team that needed a TE after Uzomah and the Bengals got him for several million less that what Uzomah signed for. 

Even though it seems as far a receiving and the WR talent the Bengals have he may not be targeted often, but I hope he has a break out season.  Maybe he will be talented enough to add a solid 4th receiving threat which might open up more opportunities for the Bengals star receivers. He's only 28 and maybe this is the opportunity he needs.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote