Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst
(03-18-2022, 10:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just don't agree with that. Hayden Hurst seems like a stand up guy. You can find good guys all over the league, you don't have to overpay for them. 

Elaborate.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My only complaint is it is only a 1 year deal. 

He might be spendy after putting up a career year production wise and scoring lots of TD's. Like you said, he is young to boot.

Surprised the Falcons let him get away but I guess they expect Pitts to be the main guy at TE now even though I think more of 
him as a WR. Hurst can block a little too, maybe not as well as Uzo but he isn't a terrible blocker.

I think the Falcons are all in on Pitts plus they seem ultra focused on making sure they have cap space to get Watson.

Hard to imagine where the contract he signed here would have hurt them, but I'm not upset with their choice to let him go.

Have to agree, a 2 or 3 year deal would have been nice but I feel like Hurst is betting on himself having his best season yet with Burrow then getting a better deal. Might still be here.

(03-18-2022, 02:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yep he was over shadowed by Andrews who is a top 5 TE.  Then he went to Atlanta and had a pretty good season on a somewhat bad team before they drafted Pitts who I'm sure many here recall during the great draft debate of 2021 was considered a "generational talent".    Now he gets a new start on a team that needed a TE after Uzomah and the Bengals got him for several million less that what Uzomah signed for. 

Even though it seems as far a receiving the Bengals don't look at TE often and given the WR talent the Bengals have he may not be targeted often, but I hope he has a break out season.  He's only 28 and maybe this is the opportunity he needs.  

Exactly, and add in the fact that his lone year of being the guy at TE was with Matt Ryan under center as a shell of his former self on a terrible Falcons team. Now he becomes the guy with Burrow tossing him the ball, I think he could set career highs across the board for himself here and I hope he does.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:57 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: He doesn’t look as athletic as CJ on tape but has better stats. A longer deal would have been preferable to allow us to draft and develop a receiving tight end. This is still is an excellent signing at that price

Hurst is much more athletic than CJ. He is a multi-sport star and former 1st Rd pick. He is a better receiver and football player than CJ, with Burrow Hurst will shine.

I suggested Hurst a week ago and predicted he will out-stat CJ's season as soon as he was signed. I can see him being Burrow's new favorite go to guy.  Keep this receipt in case Im wrong.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yep he was over shadowed by Andrews who is a top 5 TE.  Then he went to Atlanta and had a pretty good season on a somewhat bad team before they drafted Pitts who I'm sure many here recall during the great draft debate of 2021 was considered a "generational talent".    Now he gets a new start on a team that needed a TE after Uzomah and the Bengals got him for several million less that what Uzomah signed for. 

Even though it seems as far a receiving and the WR talent the Bengals have he may not be targeted often, but I hope he has a break out season.  Maybe he will be talented enough to add a solid 4th receiving threat which might open up more opportunities for the Bengals star receivers.   He's only 28 and maybe this is the opportunity he needs.  

Yeah, if anything this a very underrated signing. Get Collins in here and I don't know how Defenses stop this Offense with 
Burrow having time and Mixon having giant holes in the run game to run through.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hurst is much more athletic than CJ. He is a multi-sport star and former 1st Rd pick. He is a better receiver and football player than CJ, with Burrow Hurst will shine.

I suggested Hurst a week ago and predicted he will out-stat CJ's season as soon as he was signed. I can see him being Burrow's new favorite go to guy.  Keep this receipt in case Im wrong.

Spot on. He’s definitely faster and will be able to give the safeties fits. Teams will not be able to double Chase if Hurst is up the seam guarded one on one by a linebacker. When we can protect and go 5 wide w/ Mixon,Hurst, Boyd,Tee, and Chase good luck. Shifting Mixon out as a receiver gonna cause issues. Mixon may the best hands on the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Hurst is much more athletic than CJ. He is a multi-sport star and former 1st Rd pick. He is a better receiver and football player than CJ, with Burrow Hurst will shine.

He was my guy i wanted after OJ Howard. Iv seen him play he’s very good. I also knew he’d come cheap, due to his year in ATL. Him and OJ actually had similar stories. Both starters on any other team than the team they were on due to TE1 just being way better.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, if anything this a very underrated signing. Get Collins in here and I don't know how Defenses stop this Offense with 
Burrow having time and Mixon having giant holes in the run game to run through.

Yep, he filled a position of need at what I feel was a good price.  The Bengals needed to fill the position and in my opinion they did so with Hurst in what was a low cost potential high upside signing.  Also doing so opens up the draft more to fill other more important positions of need first.

In my opinion the Bengals have really done well this year in free agency so far.  People always complain they never do enough.  But it is obvious they are putting a lot into it, like they also did last year.   I just find it kind of weird, in the past people complain, "Bengals don't sign enough free agents," then when they do they complain about those as well.   I guess it is a no win situation for some fans.  :)

But yeah the Bengals have addressed what everyone said needed to be addressed after the Super Bowl, the O-line and they did that immediately. If they get a decent RT then this year in my opinion will be the best they have ever done in free agency.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 04:59 PM)pally Wrote:

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 04:59 PM)pally Wrote:

(03-18-2022, 06:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  

I'm so rooting for him to have a break out season with the Bengals.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Again decent pickup but has underachieved as a 1st round pick, 3rd team in 5 yrs. And for those that say he is faster than CJ , CJ ran a slightly better 40
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 07:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Again decent pickup but has underachieved as a 1st round pick, 3rd team in 5 yrs. And for those that say he is faster than CJ , CJ ran a slightly better 40

40 time isn't everything, see John Ross.  Plus the results between Uzomah and Hurst are minuscule.   CJ, 4.64, Hurst 4.67.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 03:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Spot on. He’s definitely faster and will be able to give the safeties fits. Teams will not be able to double Chase if Hurst is up the seam guarded one on one by a linebacker. When we can protect and go 5 wide w/ Mixon,Hurst, Boyd,Tee, and Chase good luck. Shifting Mixon out as a receiver gonna cause issues. Mixon may the best hands on the team.

CJ had the faster 40 time at 4.63s vs 4.67s. We have so many weapons that Hurst will be the last option in 5wr sets
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:43 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: CJ had the faster 40 time at 4.63s vs 4.67s. We have so many weapons that Hurst will be the last  option in 5wr sets

You do realize that the difference between 4.63 seconds and 4.67 seconds is less than the blink of an eye?  The average blink is around 100-400 milliseconds. Hurst's 4.67 time converted to milliseconds is 4670.  CJs 4.63 time converted to milliseconds is 4630.  That's a difference of only 40 milliseconds and faster than you can blink. Plus they are both older now and I bet neither of them can run close to what they did at the combine.   So all this talk about their combine 40 times seems worthless.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:43 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: CJ had the faster 40 time at 4.63s vs 4.67s. We have so many weapons that Hurst will be the last  option in 5wr sets

I was going to post the same thing.  But with big TEs forty time is not the biggest issue in being a receiving weapon.  Instead it is getting in and out of hard cuts and running tight routes.  That is tough for big guys.  I bet both Uzomah and Hurst are faster than Tyler Eifert in a straight line, but that guy could run routes like a WR.

As long as he gets enough targets any big, fast, athletic TE can roll up 500-700 yards just catching a bunch of stuff underneath, a few TE screens, and hit a few long ones straight down the seams.  But the 1000 yd TEs can run routes to get open.

Hurst has a lot of potential, but I have never really watched him play.  I am excited about this signing.
Reply/Quote

Yes, but Hurst had a faster 3-cone, short shuttle. Many feel those trump 0.04 seconds in a straight line dash
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hurst readily admitted that he is playing with multiple chips on his shoulder. This guy is very talented add that extra desire to prove the league wrong and we may be the beneficiary of some great TE play.

Reply/Quote
I found some of his comments interesting about what he was told his role in ATL would be versus what it was. I think he’s probably capable of giving us similar production to CJ, I have some questions about blocking but as a pass catcher I think it’s a quality signing and a good value.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: I found some of his comments interesting about what he was told his role in ATL would be versus what it was. I think he’s probably capable of giving us similar production to CJ, I have some questions about blocking but as a pass catcher I think it’s a quality signing and a good value.

He's gonna put up better numbers than CJ and he's a better blocker. You obviously don't know much about the guy or your just overvaluing CJ which it is prob a combo of both.
Reply/Quote