Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welcome Takk
(11-12-2020, 12:28 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think where that comes from is that was a knock on him coming into the draft. I never saw it on the field until this season. I do recall seeing him track down a play 40 or more yards down the field from the DE position. You don't do that by not hustling. For most of his time here, he was very solid to good. It was just time to move on.

Edit: he was pretty bad the first half of last season too, but if memory serves, that was due to playing thru an injury. He was better after the bye.

Yeah... The blowup on the sidelines was the final straw... We still had a hail Mary's chance to win at that point, and he's going after coaches. Doesn't change the fact that he was one of the best players, and best guys in the community during his time 8n Cincinnati. Dude made more than one game winning play as a DE.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 10:29 AM)Synric Wrote: He was actually close because the 49ers put in a claim but the Bengals are higher on the waiver wire.

Right, which makes your point very compelling.  Hope he just balls out here and is a real find.  Unlikely, but I can hope:)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 11:30 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Not many, but we have a couple in Huber and Hubbard.

I was going to say:  "Ok, how many first round picks?", but then we have Burrow.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 12:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Wait, aren't you the one who always criticizes PFF individual grades saying they are crap? Or is that only when it doesn't say what you want it to say? 

Okay, I'll post subjective stats instead of PFF opinions, but many of the people who attack the stats I post accept the word of PFF.

Over the last decade ('10-'19)  Here are Dunlap's rankings among DEs

1st in PD.................  58
2nd in QB hits.......... 223
3rd in tds.................   3
5th in total tackles...   472
7th in sacks.............  81.5
8th in FF.................  20
8th in FR................   9
10th in TFL.............  101
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, I'll post subjective stats instead of PFF opinions, but many of the people who attack the stats I post accept the word of PFF.

Over the last decade ('10-'19)  Here are Dunlap's rankings among DEs

1st in PD.................  58
2nd in QB hits.......... 223
3rd in tds.................   3
5th in total tackles...   472
7th in sacks.............  81.5
8th in FF.................  20
8th in FR................   9
10th in TFL.............  101

Okay, how many of those DEs played and started 10 years from 10-19? 
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 01:52 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Okay, how many of those DEs played and started 10 years from 10-19? 

I don't know.  We are talking about an ALL DECADE TEAM.  That is not based on one or two good seasons.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know.  We are talking about an ALL DECADE TEAM.  That is not based on one or two good seasons.

How many all-pro seasons? I'm not saying its easy to get on an all-decade team. However if there are only a handful of people that played the entire decade it increases their chances, would you not agree? How many of those seasons  did he make all-pro? I don't remember any. 

No one is questioning that he's been good, but you tend to act like he was untouchable. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 06:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals claim former Falcoms 1st round pick.

8 game tryout. Not a bad pick up. Rumor had it they wanted to draft him originally.

Sweet, liked Takk McKinley big time, wanted to draft him. Rock On

Maybe Eason can get something out of him.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 11:29 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Didn't justify his first round billing. Had 17.5 sacks in 49 career games.

His PFF grades are
2020 - 69.8
2019 - 67.0
2018 - 61.5
2017 - 67.5

What was the problem with him in Atlanta?  His production numbers seem fair for the percentage of defensive snaps that he played, although I am curious as to why your 1st round edge rusher only saw the field on 53% of defensive snaps, in his biggest season as a pro.  He's played in 49 games, but only has credit for 25 starts.  Was he just not good enough to unseat the incumbent, early in his career?  Has he struggled with injuries?

Looking back at his college stats, it seems pretty obvious that he was only a dominate starter in his 3rd and final season at UCLA.  What was the big hype about him, that caused him to be such a coveted 1st round pick?  He ran just under 4.7 in the 40, while that's good speed for his position, but nothing eye popping.  Did he have some hard to find qualities, or was he just another guy that the draftniks took a liking to and the media ran with the hype, and inflated his value?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 03:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What was the problem with him in Atlanta?  His production numbers seem fair for the percentage of defensive snaps that he played, although I am curious as to why your 1st round edge rusher only saw the field on 53% of defensive snaps, in his biggest season as a pro.  He's played in 49 games, but only has credit for 25 starts.  Was he just not good enough to unseat the incumbent, early in his career?  Has he struggled with injuries?

Looking back at his college stats, it seems pretty obvious that he was only a dominate starter in his 3rd and final season at UCLA.  What was the big hype about him, that caused him to be such a coveted 1st round pick?  He ran just under 4.7 in the 40, while that's good speed for his position, but nothing eye popping.  Did he have some hard to find qualities, or was he just another guy that the draftniks took a liking to and the media ran with the hype, and inflated his value?

Hope he was just used wrong and our coaches can get something out of him.

His PFF grades were trending upward...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 03:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What was the problem with him in Atlanta?  His production numbers seem fair for the percentage of defensive snaps that he played, although I am curious as to why your 1st round edge rusher only saw the field on 53% of defensive snaps, in his biggest season as a pro.  He's played in 49 games, but only has credit for 25 starts.  Was he just not good enough to unseat the incumbent, early in his career?  Has he struggled with injuries?

(11-12-2020, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope he was just used wrong and our coaches can get something out of him.

His PFF grades were trending upward...

I'm hoping that one of our more informed board members can help me understand what the issues with McKinley are/were in Atlanta.  I know that at least one posted something about attitude and discontent issues with negative social media postings in regard to dissatisfaction with the team.  Usually that stuff is just a symptom of an underlying issue.  Was he the issue?  Was it the coaches?  I can't imagine it being the stigma of not winning a lot of games, because UCLA wasn't exactly Championship caliber while he was in college.

I would imagine that in the locker room of a team who's been as big of a disappointment as Atlanta has, for the past couple of seasons, there is likely more than enough negative energy to cause even talented teams to fall apart.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 05:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm hoping that one of our more informed board members can help me understand what the issues with McKinley are/were in Atlanta.  I know that at least one posted something about attitude and discontent issues with negative social media postings in regard to dissatisfaction with the team.  Usually that stuff is just a symptom of an underlying issue.  Was he the issue?  Was it the coaches?  I can't imagine it being the stigma of not winning a lot of games, because UCLA wasn't exactly Championship caliber while he was in college.

I would imagine that in the locker room of a team who's been as big of a disappointment as Atlanta has, for the past couple of seasons, there is likely more than enough negative energy to cause even talented teams to fall apart.

Damn good questions Sunset, I don't know the answer here. 

All I know is I liked McKinley coming out, good pass rusher which is what we need terribly.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 07:30 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Zac Taylor’s ‘Reggie Nelson’.

I wish. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLSL4yO28k

I'm not sure if someone posted this (Cut the tape on Takk).

He looks pretty disruptive and athletic to me. It sounds like he wanted out because he didn't agree with the coaches? Maybe because it's past the trade deadline they had to just release him? Not sure why he wasn't starting either.

Just watching the tape and not knowing anything about him, he makes a lot of great, athletic plays. Him on one end and Lawson on the other should be really good. They likely move him to 3-4 DE as well as OLB. Definitely improves our rotation and he seems to fit this scheme better than Dunlap did.

Lucky pickup. Really sounds like a solid addition.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 07:34 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLSL4yO28k

He looks pretty disruptive and athletic to me. It sounds like he wanted out because he didn't agree with the coaches? Maybe because it's past the trade deadline they had to just release him? Not sure why he wasn't starting either.

Just watching the tape and not knowing anything about him, he makes a lot of great, athletic plays. Him on one end and Lawson on the other should be really good. They likely move him to 3-4 DE as well as OLB. Definitely improves our rotation and he seems to fit this scheme better than Dunlap did.

Thanks brother. Takk always looked impressive to me. Hope he pans out here, we need it badly.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 07:34 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLSL4yO28k

Good stuff.  If anything, it shows that McKinley definitely has the physical tools to do the job.  Let's hope that the Bengal coaches use him correctly, and get the most of what he can bring.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

The Falcons defense is an abomination so it’s no surprise he wanted out. He has great tape but you’re right, his play time declined and he pulled a Dunlap basically. I really hope a change of scenery helps and I think it will. He has a ton of talent and should be motivated to get a second deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2020, 12:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with what you say about Dunlap over the last year.  But when you talk about "how he managed to make it this long in the league" you are talking about his entire career instead of just the last year.

As for the local reporters I do pay attention to them.  They run the gamut from homers like Hobson to hates like Daugherty.  They don't always agree and they have different players they like and dislike.  You can pick and choose whatever opinion you want to believe.

Wait a sec, I... I didn't say that about his 10 years. It was a question Dan Hoard asked Carlos and "Make business decisions ON the field" was one of the first things he said.

From there, after the clip, the reporters pointed out that when Marvin left, Carlos changed in that way and didn't give effort for the new staff. I didn't take it as an assault on his entire career in Cincy, but more of a questionable moment that explains his efforts the last 2 seasons. They were complimentary of Carlos' career, but really disappointed in that statement and the showing the year previously (at least).
Reply/Quote
Speaking of people getting cut, just saw that Jonathan Joseph was cut by the Titans after Burrow torched him. That's coming full circle
Reply/Quote
I'm sure Takk has all the physical tools he needs to succeed, but after watching this video I'm not confident that he has what it takes mentally. Its still a good "why not" signing similar to Adam Jones, but this guy is completely unhinged.

https://youtu.be/4GszG-3Y0Wo
Reply/Quote