Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to Draft Season Madness!
I guess I should have titled the thread

“here’s the scenario I hope doesn’t happen but would still leave some great players for us regardless”

You have to be so literal for some folks lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You don’t really need to get caught up in the thread title. It would just kind of be a nightmare to me. I have Sewell and Chase in a tier of their own as far as my preferences go, but that certainly doesn’t mean getting a Pitts, Surtain, etc would be a nightmare.

It just makes what do there much tougher, imo. Whereas either one of Sewell or Chase  still being on the board is a slam dunk no-brainer (for me).

I chose Surtain but for some reason, Pitts didn't even come to mind so i think i'd like to change my vote to Pitts. 

Pitts
Surtain
Oline

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, I’m as down on Taylor as anyone, but I’d like to think even he could figure out how to use an elite weapon like Pitts.

True. It's not like TEs don't go out on routes. It would be up to Burrow to find him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Assuming a couple known commodities on the OL are addressed in FA, I'd go CB here. Even if they resign WJIII, we don't know what we have in Waynes at this point. He could come back from injury and be solid or he could bomb. Leaving us one injury to Phillips (or WJIII) away from playing players like Sims. I liked what I saw from Phillips last year, but beyond him the depth and talent falls off a cliff. Plus you know what they say..you can never have enough corners in this league. Grab a WR and some OL depth in rounds 2-4.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 05:36 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Assuming a couple known commodities on the OL are addressed in FA, I'd go CB here. Even if they resign WJIII, we don't know what we have in Waynes at this point. He could come back from injury and be solid or he could bomb. Leaving us one injury to Phillips (or WJIII) away from playing players like Sims. I liked what I saw from Phillips last year, but beyond him the depth and talent falls off a cliff. Plus you know what they say..you can never have enough corners in this league. Grab a WR and some OL depth in rounds 2-4.

Surtain or Farley?

Reply/Quote
Probably Farley, he seems like the more rounded prospect and a better fit for what Lou the Poo wants his CBs to do than Surtain.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 05:56 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Probably Farley, he seems like the more rounded prospect and a better fit for what Lou the Poo wants his CBs to do than Surtain.

I’m not knocking Farley (haven’t really seen much of him at least compared to Surtain) but I hate the idea of taking guys to fit Zac or Lou. I kind of doubt they’re going to to be here after next season anyway.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 08:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty unrealistic scenario.

It definitely is. But it's probably the most nightmare-ish scenario there is haha.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 07:06 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He did. Also adg looked horrible at the beginning but was averaging 75+ pff grades by end of season... he got better every single week. Thing we really got a great 2. And seeing what Bailey can do now that he’ll be fully recovered. Remember Bailey was a 2nd round talent unanimously.

I was a little surprised at how similar their numbers were on the year. 

[Image: LWADG-GRADES.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 05:56 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Probably Farley, he seems like the more rounded prospect and a better fit for what Lou the Poo wants his CBs to do than Surtain.

I wouldn't touch any of these corner's in the top 10 of this draft.  Its a particularly weak group at the top and its forcing players for positional value/need.  Personally I wouldn't be surprised if these guys end up getting drafted in the late teens early twenties.

I think your going to see a lot of offensive lineman, linebackers, and quarterbacks in round 1 this year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if not a single DT is taken in round 1

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, they should have went after Devin White, in the 2019 draft..

White had a 51.9 PFF grade as a rookie and graded 43.4 this year.  

I posted the full breakdown in another thread, but you have to back to '14 to find a stack LB taken in the top 10 with at least a 70 grade as a rookie.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: White had a 51.9 PFF grade as a rookie and graded 43.4 this year.  

I posted the full breakdown in another thread, but you have to back to '14 to find a stack LB taken in the top 10 with at least a 70 grade as a rookie.  

Yep, apparently it's difficult for stack LBs to come in and be good as rookies.
The Bengals really need to consider investing in a quality FA at the position if they want better contribution immediately, or gamble on their young draft picks to develop into good ones. Who knows how long, if ever, it takes for that to happen though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was a little surprised at how similar their numbers were on the year. 

[Image: LWADG-GRADES.jpg]

I'm not surprised the front 7 struggled the way it did in 2020.

They only had two returning linebackers from 2019 and one was a special teams guy (Pratt, Evans). They brought in Bynes and drafted 3 rookies so 4 of the linebackers didnt know the defense. The Covid killed a large part of the learning process with no OTAs which is several weeks of on field off season practice reduced to all classroom work over Zoom.

Between the no OTAs and training camp Lou lost his backup Nose and his backup under tackle/34 end. So during Training camp they brought in Mike Daniel's and Covington. A week before the season they lost their starting defensive tackle Geno and lost his backup Daniels week 2. Week 4 their starting end was reduced and eventually traded and his replacement Hubbard is injured...week 5 their starting nose tackle Reader gets hurt. 

All in all they had alot of inexperience, new guys, and lack of talent in the front 7. It was ugly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep, apparently it's difficult for stack LBs to come in and be good as rookies.
The Bengals really need to consider investing in a quality FA at the position if they want better contribution immediately, or gamble on their young draft picks to develop into good ones. Who knows how long, if ever, it takes for that to happen though.

There will be a lot of veteran LB's out there on one year prove it's with the cap situation.  I would probably go that route, as it's easy to put them on the bench for the youngsters if needed.  We have 4 guys early in the development curve already and it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft more youth on top of youth.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: There will be a lot of veteran LB's out there on one year prove it's with the cap situation.  I would probably go that route, as it's easy to put them on the bench for the youngsters if needed.  We have 4 guys early in the development curve already and it doesn't make a lot of sense to draft more youth on top of youth.

I honestly don't like the 1-year prove it deals. The Bengals need stability and proven talent at the position.
I'd look to bring in a guy at least on a 2-year deal, if not a 3-year deal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There are too many ????? to know for certain.

What do we do in FA to improve

A. our pass rush?
B. our pass protection/Oline?

Those are our 2 biggest weaknesses, so they have to be our priorities.

There's no one in this draft worth taking at #5 to improve our pass rush, and I'm not sure sure there's anyone in this draft worth taking at #5 to improve the OLine. I think we could trade down and take an OT in the top 10-12, but I'm not sure that Mayfield wouldn't give us as much value in the 2nd. He'd be a perfect fit at RT if we don't get someone in FA. Jonah Williams is still the guy at LT as far as I'm concerned. Guards can be had in the 2-4 rounds. I'm thinking Aaron Banks from Notre Dame in the 4th.

So, if we don't trade back, I think we look at WR/TE, so it's between

Pitts (normally, I wouldn't consider a TE this high, but Pitts is not a normal TE)
Waddle (Smith overshadowed him after his injury, but this guy is good - very good)
Smith (Heisman winner for a reason)
Parsons (could become the biggest playmaker on our defense)

I think there's an argument for all 4 of these guys at #5.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:14 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: There are too many ????? to know for certain.

What do we do in FA to improve

A. our pass rush?
B. our pass protection/Oline?

Those are our 2 biggest weaknesses, so they have to be our priorities.

There's no one in this draft worth taking at #5 to improve our pass rush, and I'm not sure sure there's anyone in this draft worth taking at #5 to improve the OLine. I think we could trade down and take an OT in the top 10-12, but I'm not sure that Mayfield wouldn't give us as much value in the 2nd. He'd be a perfect fit at RT if we don't get someone in FA. Jonah Williams is still the guy at LT as far as I'm concerned. Guards can be had in the 2-4 rounds. I'm thinking Aaron Banks from Notre Dame in the 4th.

So, if we don't trade back, I think we look at WR/TE, so it's between

Pitts (normally, I wouldn't consider a TE this high, but Pitts is not a normal TE)
Waddle (Smith overshadowed him after his injury, but this guy is good - very good)
Smith (Heisman winner for a reason)
Parsons (could become the biggest playmaker on our defense)

I think there's an argument for all 4 of these guys at #5.

You're not playing the game right.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 07:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not knocking Farley (haven’t really seen much of him at least compared to Surtain) but I hate the idea of taking guys to fit Zac or Lou. I kind of doubt they’re going to to be here after next season anyway.

The good thing about Farley is he has the Athleticism to play Zone, off ball Man, and press man. So he should be able to play any system.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're not playing the game right.  Cool

You're right. I get that alot.  Tongue
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
If you're picking in the top 5, you have to get a top 5 talent. I don't see any corner in this draft that fits that description. In reality, (depending on who you talk to) the only guys that I think fit that mold are:

Sewell
Slater
Chase
Smith
Pitts
Reply/Quote