Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 12:46 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Certainly understandable. But Smith is more of an OLB and we play 4-3 most if the time. I would have been fine with Smith, but there is no spot for him in our standard lineup. 

Too much upside plus has frame to put on 20 pounds easy, but we will see how each perform down the road
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Joseph Ossai . . . you just fell down another rung.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
So far this offseason we weakened the chiefs oline and strengthened our dline/pass rush—and strengthened our oline.

Id say we’re off to a good start.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:53 AM)Tony Wrote: Stupid ass pick... Mayer sitting right there, and you take some bum ass DE from clemson.. Sickening...

I was unaware that Mayer was already and elite level NFL TE....

31 teams passed on him as well. TE is just not a focal point at this point with Smith signed and the ability to get a guy in round 2 or 3 or later and develop him for a season.

What happens if Washington tumbles down the board tomorrow and the Bengals take him in 2? Still going to be super salty then?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Don’t know much about him, but pass rush was a need.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:56 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Too much upside plus has frame to put on 20 pounds easy, but we will see how each perform down the road

What upside does smith have, that Murphy doesn’t? I’ll wait.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:01 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was unaware that Mayer was already and elite level NFL TE....

31 teams passed on him as well. TE is just not a focal point at this point with Smith signed and the ability to get a guy in round 2 or 3 or later and develop him for a season.

What happens if Washington tumbles down the board tomorrow and the Bengals take him in 2? Still going to be super salty then?

I’d consider musgrave over Washington, but you are spot on. Judging our entire draft after one night is like our board melting down when we didn’t do anything the first day of free agency and we signed brown, Irv smith, Scott, etc.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:41 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals needed a pass rusher... I don't know enough about this guy but they say he's a freak athlete.

Think the Bengals have earned our respect lately in the draft so no reason to believe this won't be a solid pick

If Murphy can develop a spin or rip to go with that nasty inside arm extension he’s going to be deadly on 3rd down. Having more pass rushers is a solid move, especially when the Bengals will be playing with a lead more often than not.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
If we made this pick in February people would have lost their shit. He was considered a top 10 player at that time. Premium pass rushers are hard to fine. Love the pick!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Great value pick at a premium position. You can never have too many pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
Never really thought about Eminem because I didn't consider it a possibility. Love the pick.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Never expected him to be the pick, but I'm good with it: this is indeed a, "looking to the future pick," for when one of our DEs leaves in FA.

Drew Boylhart's write-up:
Quote:STRENGTHS
Myles has the size, strength, foot speed, and overall athletic talent to be a potential franchise Defensive End for the team that selects him. He is what I call a power rusher with the same body type and athletic talent as former Giants Michael Strahan. Myles has the natural strength in his lower and upper body that most players wish for. He has good quick feet that allow him the needed explosion to close faster than most others when rushing the passer. Myles is smart and is not fooled very much on sweeps and screens to his side of the field. I believe if you looked in a dictionary (they still have those don’t they?) for the definition of a power rusher you would see Myles smiling face. If you look at his highlight film, Myles is very impressive but I don’t do profiles by highlight film…I do them by game film.

CONCERNS
Myles does struggle at times getting off blocks at the line of scrimmage to make a tackle. He does hold his ground and is stout against the run, he just doesn’t make the tackle that you would expect him to make. Of course, I am nitpicking but then again it is an issue he needs to improve or teams will run at him on third down. Also, until he comes off the line with more consistency and develops moves after he is engaged when pass-rushing it will be hard for him to be a double-sack type of pass rusher.

BOTTOM LINE: 2.22
Myles is a sold Defensive End who can be moved inside on passing downs to create mismatches against less athletic offensive linemen. If Myles keeps improving his pass-rushing skills and techniques, he can become an excellent power rusher and easily rack up the sacks but right now he looks to be a solid Defensive lineman who will need to be moved around for him to gain double-digit sacks and that is not a bad thing. Sometimes on film, I don’t see the passion to be a dangerous or impacting player that teams will need to game plan for. I’m not suggesting he won’t be in the discussion but I am suggesting that he can be handled and offensive linemen will have to account for him. Account for him yes, but not on every play like TJ Watt or Myles Garrett, or Nick Bosa. Myles does have the athletic talent and foot speed and explosiveness, and if he wants it bad enough he can develop into a player like those I just mentioned but, for the purposes of this draft, he is more of a solid player and a safe pick who should produce and become a core player for your defense.

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=3182
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Destroy Mahomes, perfect pick. Didn't expect Myles Murphy to be there and laughed it off all Offseason prior to the Draft.

Crazy shit, perfect pick. With Hendrickson, Murphy and Ossai we are scary on pass rushing situations. Chiefs shit they pants
and took Uzomah right afterwards LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The Insider guy posted 8 guys he thought the pick would come from before the draft: Wright, Forbes, Kincaid, Gibbs, Murphy, Nolan Smith, Mayer, & Addison.

Wright, Forbes, Kincaid, Gibbs, & Addison were gone. They obviously preferred Murphy to Smith & Mayer. I get it due to scheme fit & positional value & this drafts depth at TEXand lack thereof at DE.

He also said there were 2 guys we would have traded up for, and both were trenches guys. Wright would have been one. Guessing Kancey or Van Ness the other.

I'd bet on TE (Mayer, Washington, LaPorta, Kraft, Musgrave, Strange) or CB (Porter, Brents, C. Smith, Ringo, Turner, Moss, Stevenson, Bennett, Trice, Williams) tomorrow.

You never know. OT (D. Jones, Bergeron, Mauch, Freeland) or DT (Benton, Ika) makes some sense. As does stud IOL (Schmitz, Torrence, Avila, Tippman, Wypler) or WR depth (Mingo) or RB (Miller, Spears, the kid from Pitt, etc).
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:59 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Joseph Ossai . . . you just fell down another rung.

Never forget that the Giants won a Superbowl with a rotation of 6 DEs. Build the lines and every player who puts in the work can contribute.

I wonder if a good comparison to Myles Murphy would be Carlos Dunlap? I am just basing that on size though. 

Edit: Actually he is even closer in size to Sam Hubbard.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:36 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Good value. Listed as the 20th best prospect in the draft here:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

This.  Yes, CBS Sports has him listed as the 20 best player in the draft and the Bengals got him well past pick 20.   

I said in our Draft Section, don't be so sure about TE.  Bengals may take Best Available Athlete on the board that falls to them late in Round One 

Also, consider this.  After Bengals reign Burrow, Chase, Higgins, there may not be cap space to resign Hendrickson down the road.  Think of the Draft as also planning for years past 2023.  

A top 20 player fell to Bengals who happens to be a true sized DE, not a tweener at LB.  A top rated DE.  Bengals took him and it could be a real steal considering how late Bengals drafted.  After Super Bowl and then AFC Championship seasons, I'm not going to question Bengals who have been making all the right moves last few years. 

GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I like it. All the RT options were gone , Mayer would be a 3rd or 4th option on offense, 32 others teams passed on him and it’s a deep TE draft. Nolan Smith is small and a liability against the run. Outside of Hendrickson who else gets to the QB on a consistent basis? We had a banged up Maholmes in the playoffs and could barley pressure him. Hubbard and Hendricks stay fresh , trench warfare I like it !
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:40 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I prefer Nolan Smith for defense,  man

You prefer a guy that doesn't come close to matching out defensive scheme...?

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:19 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You prefer a guy that doesn't come close to matching out defensive scheme...?

Sweet Lou is a defensive chameleon. Anything can work....
Reply/Quote
Don’t know much about him but we needed another pass rusher, was hoping it would be interior but that went out the window early doors.

If Charbonnet is there at 60 tomorrow he has to be the pick then you look for a TE and corner and I think we are set.

Still the Jonah situation to resolve too we could be getting another pick tomorrow.
Reply/Quote