Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
Miles seems like a good pick. The Bengals will fill other needs in subsequent rounds.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
We took the best player available by all accounts, a luxury that good teams have. With the contracts coming, we have to prepare for life after Hubbard and Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote
Motor, power for days, prototype 4-3 DE size, and ran a low 4.5.Top 7 recruit nationally, played right away, true junior, only guy with 10 TFL and a FF the last 3 years in a row.

Same height, weight, speed and position as the #1 overall pick last year.

4-3 DE is a hard position to find. I'm on board.

#3 on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List.

https://theathletic.com/3488797/2022/08/10/college-football-freaks-list-2022/

3. Myles Murphy, Clemson, defensive end

Murphy made 43 tackles, a team-high 14.0 tackles for loss, and a team-best seven sacks in 2021. The 6-5, 275-pound junior is viewed by NFL scouts as a “significantly better player” than former Tiger Clelin Ferrell, who went fourth overall in the 2019 draft. Murphy bench-presses 405 pounds, power-cleans 335 and deadlifts 505. He also has vertical-jumped 35 inches, broad-jumped 10 feet and consistently clocked in the high 4.5s in the 40, according to Clemson coaches.

I love Hubbard and Hendrickson. Big fan of Ossai and Sample as well. And I liked the Basham signing. Like Gunters potential as well.
But Murphy has the tools to be the best of the bunch. At a premier position.

Feels like a great value pick and them sticking to their board. I feel like I saw him in the top 10 in a lot of early mocks.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:28 AM)Joelist Wrote: I may not be thrilled with the pick but it wasn't a reach. Murphy was a consensus first round pick and some had him Top 20.

I just don't feel he fit our biggest need on defense - INTERIOR pass rush. As to upside, I kinda think he's another Robert Geathers. He'll have one season where he seems to finally become a serious pass rush threat then settle into being mostly a run defender. He just does not give off that "final piece to win the Lombardi" vibe that a first round pick for THIS team should.

This makes no sense.  Who did you want us to take for interior pass rush at 28?  

Reply/Quote
People always say we need to build the trenches and when we do you're upset. Now, I'm not gonna lie it's not my first pick, but I think it's a good pick. I give it a solid A- pick with potential to be a grand slam home run. I wanted Mayer or even Porter, but pass rush is something our defense REALLY needed to improve on. We have weapons on offense and have been addressing our offense line. Imagine a great offense with a defense that's just as good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep loading the lines. Welcome aboard Myles.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:40 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Keep stacking those lines. I like it. We had like zero edge pass rush other than Trey.

I know a lot of people wanted Mayer but I'm so glad we passed on him. TE just isn't a premium position, especially in this team when you have Higgins and Chase.

We can get a TE and RB later in the draft, deep class at both this draft. What we was lacking last year was pass push and needed a breather for Trey and  Sam to stay fresh.

Happy with the pick as it hit one of our main needs.
Reply/Quote
Other than when the Bengals are sitting right at the top of the draft with the pick of everyone they tend to be a bit unpredictable. It seems like every name but mine comes up before the draft then suddenly someone everyone kind of forgot about gets to become a Bengal..
Oh well..It's the end of the world as we know it now. Bengals will never win another game the rest of your natural born lives, Burrow and Chase will pull a Carson over this and we'll draft another Andy Dalton tomorrow.. Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Tobin and Taylor stood by their philosophy and took the BPA. Murphy by all accounts should have been gone and the Bengals did not deliberate long in making the call. Hendrickson and Hubbard played far too many snaps last season and you could tell they were gassed down the stretch. Murphy is a player that is starting caliber that will be able to step in for either player in any down or distance. I really like Ossai but he is more of a situational pass rusher than a starting DE.

Awesome selection as you can never have too many high quality corners or pass rushers.

Welcome to Cincinnati young man and you are about to enter a room full of high quality and character players. Use them as your examples on and off of the field!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 04:28 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: People always say we need to build the trenches and when we do you're upset. Now, I'm not gonna lie it's not my first pick, but I think it's a good pick. I give it a solid A- pick with potential to be a grand slam home run. I wanted Mayer or even Porter, but pass rush is something our defense REALLY needed to improve on. We have weapons on offense and have been addressing our offense line. Imagine a great offense with a defense that's just as good.

While many may have wanted a TE there was no TE that was remotely close to being the BPA. You cannot pass on talent to select for fan perceived needs.
Reply/Quote
Very good pick, imo. I never once saw a mock where Murphy dropped to 28. I was really hoping we would either go pass rusher or CB in round 1, especially with Wright gone. This is a 'we're serious about a SB' pick, imo. Not sexy but the trenches is how we win a SB if you ask me. We have skill players out the wazoo. We need to bolster the lines as much as we can.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:56 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well that's no way to welcome your new Bengal player. Whether you like him or not.

Bro had 6 sacks in the shitty ACC.. He's mid AF...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:01 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was unaware that Mayer was already and elite level NFL TE....

31 teams passed on him as well. TE is just not a focal point at this point with Smith signed and the ability to get a guy in round 2 or 3 or later and develop him for a season.

What happens if Washington tumbles down the board tomorrow and the Bengals take him in 2? Still going to be super salty then?
Irv Smith is a injury waiting to happen. He be done by week 4.. I don't like Washington either. 
Reply/Quote
The mere fact that Tony is so down on the pick is actually making me like it a little bit more… :lol:

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:56 AM)Tony Wrote: Bro had 6 sacks in the shitty ACC.. He's mid AF...

Damn I wonder why the Bengals didn't google his stats to find out he's "mid AF". That's just bad scouting right there.  Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:03 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Miles seems like a good pick. The Bengals will fill other needs in subsequent rounds.

Yeah, the Bengals looked at a lot of TEs and Backs and both groups are deep across the draft.  I found myself doing mocks and finding outcomes looked the best when  the Bengals ended up with a DL in the first 3 rds with or without a trade.  I find myself measuring Murphy against that of a theoretical trade but he looks like he's worth it.  

I know it's easy to see win now vs later as an either or but as others have mentioned it possibly does both.  You want more than 30 sacks (and more pressures), it's a long season.  So, thinking you're shorting yourself in production taking a rotational DE vs a starting TE I don't agree.  They can play him at UT in some sets or move him around like they do Hubbard which gives consistency.  There are plenty of opportunities to not only get his own playing time but keep guys like Hendrickson and Hubbard fresh.  Long term, if Ossai blows up with sacks and prices himself out in 2yrs, this gives them another 3 years with a cheap starting DE on a team with so much money going to 2-3 offensive stars.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:27 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Ossai is a good player. Are you holding the late hit on Mahomes over him as some sort of knock against his play?

Right? We have 2 DE's that need to be rotated, Hubbard and Hendrickson. I expect Ossai and Murphy to be our 3 and 4.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 02:02 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: In a few years we are going to be saying "Trey Who?" Possibly even sooner.

I seriously doubt that.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right? We have 2 DE's that need to be rotated, Hubbard and Hendrickson. I expect Ossai and Murphy to be our 3 and 4.

Cameron Sample played 412 of the defensive snaps 40%. Those will all be Murphy's in 2023. I wonder if Sample will move add a little weight this off-season and do more interior rushing. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Synric Wrote: Cameron Sample played 412 of the defensive snaps 40%. Those will all be Murphy's in 2023. I wonder if Sample will move add a little weight this off-season and do more interior rushing. 

Probably. Hill played too many snaps last year.
Reply/Quote