Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 09:56 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: He looks to have an elite first step but didn't develop pass rush moves to push him into the 'next level' but even in his current state could still be productive in the NFL. I honestly think he is somewhere between Trey Hendrickson and Myles Garrett with upside - super fast but seems to have very good strength and a strong butt to anchor. Maybe Brandon Graham but more athletic? This was a really good pick.

Yeah, he's 21. Working with Hobby and Hendrickson should do him wonders.
Reply/Quote
This was a very solid pick.

As for the guy ranting, why in the world would we gamble on a TE in RD1? TE's in Round 1 historically under perform and there's PLENTY of examples out there to prove just that. If we're adamant about getting a TE this is a deep TE draft and we can get one in later rounds. Personally, I think we're going to be a bridge franchise for TE's moving forward. Hurst came here and we got him paid. I think Irv Smith will have a solid year then he'll go get paid. I could easily see us continuing that trend to not commit a ton of long term money to TE considering we're going to be throwing near half a billion dollars to keep Burrow/Chase/Higgins on the team.

Murphy is a solid pick. An absolute freak physically with extremely high upside. He can learn from two very smart/talented vets and be a part of the rotation right away. As the draft is set up I think our next 3-4 rounds will consist of a DB, TE, RB, then gamble on some high upside guys in the 5-6-7 rounds.
Reply/Quote
Great pick only because Zac and Lou made it.

This is literally the one prospect along with Tyree that i did not watch any tape on

So I’m trusting the coaches here. From the YouTube stuff i saw tho he’s in the mold of a future pro bowl pass rusher

I’ll take that
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, he's 21. Working with Hobby and Hendrickson should do him wonders.

Leaving Hubbard out of the equation? Hubbard is the text book Pro. Murphy is landing in a great spot to learn what it means to attack the NFL in a professional manner on and off of the field. The 3 Hs are going to be outstanding mentors for this young man!
Reply/Quote
If there’s anyone crying about not going TE….

One will fall. That’s why we thought we could take Murphy. We had a 1st round grade on a pass rusher and he fell to 28 with a little help from the Lions picking Gibbs a bit early instead of getting a rusher.

We aren’t getting Mayer. But i think we like Darnell Washington anyway. He just fits our scheme so much.

Cry if we miss out on him

But athletes have been getting the normal hype. I mean Paris Johnson went before Skoronski simply because he’s an athlete. So no one be surprised if Washington isn’t the 1st TE gone tonight
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:09 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Leaving Hubbard out of the equation? Hubbard is the text book Pro. Murphy is landing in a great spot to learn what it means to attack the NFL in a professional manner on and off of the field. The 3 Hs are going to be outstanding mentors for this young man!

Hubbard's strengths is run blocking. He himself stated he needs to up his pass rush and is working on it. Hendrickson's specialty is getting to the QB, which is why Sam and Trey complement each other so well. It appears (from the articles I've read) Murphy's strength is against the run, and his rush is basically a bullrush, and he needs more moves. I was just saying Trey would be better help there. Not a slight at Sam at all.
Reply/Quote
His relentless pursuit jumps out on tape.
At 21, working with Lou and Hobby and learning from the Pros in the DL room, this kid will only get better!
I think we picked the right M & M in Rd. 1.

https://youtu.be/hl-tEJLb0Rs

Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hubbard's strengths is run blocking. He himself stated he needs to up his pass rush and is working on it. Hendrickson's specialty is getting to the QB, which is why Sam and Trey complement each other so well. It appears (from the articles I've read) Murphy's strength is against the run, and his rush is basically a bullrush, and he needs more moves. I was just saying Trey would be better help there. Not a slight at Sam at all.

The 3 Hs will all be instrumental in mentoring and molding this young man into a great Pro!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The 3 Hs will all be instrumental in mentoring and molding this young man into a great Pro!

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
I understand Bengals fans concern about selecting of a edge rusher. They have Hendrickson (who makes top 100 lists) and Hubbard and Ossai. It doesn't seem as much of an immediate need as some other positions. (Lost the two safeties to free agency, don't have the best TEs, always need CB help for Lou's schemes; need a RB; and at some point need an interior presence to support or eventually replace Reader.)

But still, the Bengals ended up with so few QB pressures last year that only three teams had fewer and the Bengals were 29th in sacks. If Myles Murphy can help address this -- whether directly or by giving breathers to the sometimes running on fumes Hendrickson -- then it will be a very valuable pick. Likewise, he is good against the run and the AFC north has all these running QBs. Best case scenario: Murphy becomes a major sack and QB pressure machine. Worst case scenario -- he develops into someone who can capably replace Hendrickson or Hubbard when their contracts expire and they go the free agency route. I don't see him as someone who will be a bust -- not with his motor.
Reply/Quote
I'm good with the pick, just more disappointed that players I was hoping would fall to them didn't. The guy has a very high floor and seems like a safe pick. I'm just not sure he has a 10 sack/yr upside.
Reply/Quote
Well if Jonah is to be traded, today is the day. Last year the Bengals traded up to get CTB, at 60 no less, and here we are again with the need to get another CB or TE or RB, likely in todays rounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:58 AM)tms Wrote: Elite athleticism + strong intangibles = solid foundation on which to build

With the way this staff drafts, I think the intangibles played a big role in this selection. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:38 AM)casear2727 Wrote: This makes no sense.  Who did you want us to take for interior pass rush at 28?  

We don't need to stinkin pass rush. Need a TE that no one else bothered to pick in the first round either....  Ninja

I personally love the pick. He wasn't supposed to fall but did, and that is why it's so hard to predict who we will take at that position. The runs on CB's and Wr's pushed a top 15 player right to us. And notice, Bengals didn't waste much time making the pick...
Reply/Quote
Happy to have him, although I thought for sure it was going to be Mayer when he fell.
Love the explosiveness of this guy, and he was consistently good in college. Rapien and Liscow think his floor is Hubbard, which is a good floor to have.
I wasn't expecting an edge guy (at least so early) with all of Ossai, Hendrickson, and Hubbard under contract the next two years.
Hopefully Anarumo can devise a good rotation to incorporate all those guys along with Hill, Carter, and Reader.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:15 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: His relentless pursuit jumps out on tape.
At 21, working with Lou and Hobby and learning from the Pros in the DL room, this kid will only get better!
I think we picked the right M & M in Rd. 1.

https://youtu.be/hl-tEJLb0Rs

:tiger:

Watching him run down Zay Flowers from behind on a Jet Sweep :joe:

PS - 29th in the NFL in sacks last year

If they can help him develop his pass rush moves beyond what he already possesses, the sky is the limit with him IMO. Garrett in CLE will be the #2 DL named Myles in the AFCN. :whodey2:
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:19 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Hilarious

Exactly. Getting pressure on the QB was a clear need as the lack of it was on full display in the AFC Title game vs. a hobbled Mahomes. There were multiple plays where pressure on him would have changed the outcome. 

Murphy was a projected top 5 pick before the season started! 
Most mocks had him going before 20th.
He then had an average season in 2022 after an impressive 2021. I think an important piece of context is the Clemson DC Brent Venables leaving for the Oklahoma HC spot. I think just about every defensive prospect from Clemson had a disappointing 2022 compared to 2021. Murphy might have had a breakout season and been a top 5 pick if that change didn't occur; so Bengals might have a major steal on their hands.
I'd like to point out that he also took Todd Bates with him, one of the top DL coaches in CFB, along with Miguel Chavis who is an edge coach as well. It was a trifecta hit from a coaching standpoint. Very well could have been a reason for the fall off. A scheme change and relearning a lot could have impacted ability to truly focus on technique. It's certainly something to consider.
He finished 2nd in the ACC in sacks btw. 

FWIW 
Ourlads Scouting Services- (former NFL scouts) had Murphy rated as the 6th best player overall.
Will Anderson 9.88
CJ Stroud 9.78
Bryce Young 9.72
Jalen Carter 9.61
Anthony Richardson 9.60
Myles Murphy 9.58

I don't about y'all, but I'm tired of watching the likes of Mahomes, etc having all day back there to pick us apart. This pick addresses a clear need. We've been pretty stout vs. the run. This will only improve our atrocious pass rush which will help our secondary.

And to those saying this guy will be #3 or 4 DE....are you aware we use a rotational pass rush? Do you remember how gassed Trey was in a lot of games? As stated by Lou, he WILL be in the mix. And with Marion Hobby(Clemson DL connection), he will get the most out of Myles Murphy. 

In Lou We Trust!
Tiger

Excellent point..... I'd kinda forgotten that in the grand scheme of things.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: I understand Bengals fans concern about selecting of a edge rusher. They have Hendrickson (who makes top 100 lists) and Hubbard and Ossai. It doesn't seem as much of an immediate need as some other positions. (Lost the two safeties to free agency, don't have the best TEs, always need CB help for Lou's schemes; need a RB; and at some point need an interior presence to support or eventually replace Reader.)

But still, the Bengals ended up with so few QB pressures last year that only three teams had fewer and the Bengals were 29th in sacks. If Myles Murphy can help address this -- whether directly or by giving breathers to the sometimes running on fumes Hendrickson -- then it will be a very valuable pick. Likewise, he is good against the run and the AFC north has all these running QBs. Best case scenario: Murphy becomes a major sack and QB pressure machine. Worst case scenario -- he develops into someone who can capably replace Hendrickson or Hubbard when their contracts expire and they go the free agency route. I don't see him as someone who will be a bust -- not with his motor.

Fans concerned with this selection are seemingly not looking at the situation with clear perspective:

* To begin with he was the BPA. Tobin was clear what would drive their selection.
* Hendrickson and Hubbard played too many snaps last season and this cost the Bengals down the stretch. Both players were exhausted!
* Ossai is a situational pass rusher at this point far more than he is an every down DE at the NFL level. Murphy is an every down starting caliber DE prospect.
* What safety, DT, TE, or RB was ranked above Murphy?
* The only CB ranked above Murphy was Porter Jr. who is not a great scheme fit for the Bengals so they probably had Murphy graded above Porter on their board.

You do not leave talent on the board to draft less talent because of a perceived need from the fans! Great teams have great depth and Murphy can come off the bench on any down and distance in relief of either Hubbard or Hendrickson and do it with starting caliber traits. 

It was a no brainer selection. Oh and by the way every TE that started the day on the board is still on the board other than Kincaid who it could be argued was over drafted. Not sure why there is such panic about this position.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The 3 Hs will all be instrumental in mentoring and molding this young man into a great Pro!

Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Hanarumo?  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Happy to have him, although I thought for sure it was going to be Mayer when he fell.
Love the explosiveness of this guy, and he was consistently good in college. Rapien and Liscow think his floor is Hubbard, which is a good floor to have.
I wasn't expecting an edge guy (at least so early) with all of Ossai, Hendrickson, and Hubbard under contract the next two years.
Hopefully Anarumo can devise a good rotation to incorporate all those guys along with Hill, Carter, and Reader.

Hill, Carter, and Reader really have no bearing on the use of Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ossai. Ossai is, at this point, more of a situational pass rusher than he is an every down NFL DE. Murphy is an every down NFL DE. He can come in the game at any down or distance in relief or either Hendrickson or Hubbard. He can do this providing starting caliber traits. We currently do not have that guy on our roster. Great teams have great depth!
Reply/Quote