Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 08:06 AM)Synric Wrote: Damn I wonder why the Bengals didn't google his stats to find out he's "mid AF". That's just bad scouting right there.  Ninja

Synric from the top rope on Tony LMAO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Any time you can get a top 3 DE at 28 that is excellent against the run and can rush the passer well you’ve nailed it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The AFC is loaded with good quarterbacks, so taking Murphy is a great pick at 28.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Any time you can get a top 3 DE at 28 that is excellent against the run and can rush the passer well you’ve nailed it.

You never know with draft picks. But, I think this guy has great athleticism. Can always use pass rushers.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:11 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: We took the best player available by all accounts, a luxury that good teams have. With the contracts coming, we have to prepare for life after Hubbard and Hendrickson.

There were probably 5-7 guys that would have been best player available...as boards go. We certainly didn't reach.
Reply/Quote
Myles Murphy is walking into the right DL room to develop. His one issue is his lack of development in his hand usage. Trey and Sam both win with their hands over having pure athleticism like Murphy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Lightbulb 
(04-28-2023, 08:06 AM)Synric Wrote: Damn I wonder why the Bengals didn't google his stats to find out he's "mid AF". That's just bad scouting right there.  Ninja
Hilarious
(04-28-2023, 08:58 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Any time you can get a top 3 DE at 28 that is excellent against the run and can rush the passer well you’ve nailed it.

Exactly. Getting pressure on the QB was a clear need as the lack of it was on full display in the AFC Title game vs. a hobbled Mahomes. There were multiple plays where pressure on him would have changed the outcome. 

Murphy was a projected top 5 pick before the season started! 
Most mocks had him going before 20th.
He then had an average season in 2022 after an impressive 2021. I think an important piece of context is the Clemson DC Brent Venables leaving for the Oklahoma HC spot. I think just about every defensive prospect from Clemson had a disappointing 2022 compared to 2021. Murphy might have had a breakout season and been a top 5 pick if that change didn't occur; so Bengals might have a major steal on their hands.
I'd like to point out that he also took Todd Bates with him, one of the top DL coaches in CFB, along with Miguel Chavis who is an edge coach as well. It was a trifecta hit from a coaching standpoint. Very well could have been a reason for the fall off. A scheme change and relearning a lot could have impacted ability to truly focus on technique. It's certainly something to consider.
He finished 2nd in the ACC in sacks btw. 

FWIW 
Ourlads Scouting Services- (former NFL scouts) had Murphy rated as the 6th best player overall.
Will Anderson 9.88
CJ Stroud 9.78
Bryce Young 9.72
Jalen Carter 9.61
Anthony Richardson 9.60
Myles Murphy 9.58

I don't know about y'all, but I'm tired of watching the likes of Mahomes, etc having all day back there to pick us apart. This pick addresses a clear need. We've been pretty stout vs. the run. This will only improve our atrocious pass rush which will help our secondary.

And to those saying this guy will be #3 or 4 DE....are you aware we use a rotational pass rush? Do you remember how gassed Trey was in a lot of games? As stated by Lou, he WILL be in the mix. And with Marion Hobby(Clemson DL connection), he will get the most out of Myles Murphy. 

In Lou We Trust!
Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:19 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Hilarious

Exactly. Getting pressure on the QB was a clear need as the lack of it was on full display in the AFC Title game vs. a hobbled Mahomes. There were multiple plays where pressure on him would have changed the outcome. 

I think an important point is that Murphy was a projected top 5 pick before the season started! HE then had an average season in 2022 after an impressive 2021. I think an important piece of context is the Clemson DC Brent Venables leaving for the Oklahoma HC spot. I think just about every defensive prospect from Clemson had a disappointing 2022 compared to 2021. Murphy might have had a breakout season and been a top 5 pick if that change didn't occur; so Bengals might have a major steal on their hands.
I'd like to point out that he also took Todd Bates with him, one of the top DL coaches in CFB, along with Miguel Chavis who is an edge coach as well. It was a trifecta hit from a coaching standpoint. Very well could have been a reason for the fall off. A scheme change and relearning a lot could have impacted ability to truly focus on technique. It's certainly something to consider.

FWIW 
Ourlads Scouting Services- (former NFL scouts) had Murphy rated as the 6th best player overall.
Will Anderson 9.88
CJ Stroud 9.78
Bryce Young 9.72
Jalen Carter 9.61
Anthony Richardson 9.60
Myles Murphy 9.58

I don't about y'all, but I'm tired of watching the likes of Mahomes, etc having all day back there to pick us apart. This pick addresses a clear need. 

And to those saying this guy will be #3 or 4 DE....are you aware we use a rotational pass rush? Do you remember how gassed Trey was in a lot of games? As stated by Lou, he WILL be in the mix. And with Marion Hobby(Clemson DL connection), he will get the most out of Myles Murphy. 

In Lou We Trust!
Tiger

Yep. You beat the good teams with pressure. You don't need it against the bad to average teams. But, when you get to the elite level, you need pass rush.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:19 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Hilarious

Murphy was a projected top 5 pick before the season started! 
Most mocks had him going before 20th.
He then had an average season in 2022 after an impressive 2021. I think an important piece of context is the Clemson DC Brent Venables leaving for the Oklahoma HC spot. I think just about every defensive prospect from Clemson had a disappointing 2022 compared to 2021. Murphy might have had a breakout season and been a top 5 pick if that change didn't occur; so Bengals might have a major steal on their hands.

FWIW 
Will Anderson 9.88
CJ Stroud 9.78
Bryce Young 9.72
Jalen Carter 9.61
Anthony Richardson 9.60
Myles Murphy 9.58

I don't about y'all, but I'm tired of watching the likes of Mahomes, etc having all day back there to pick us apart. This pick addresses a clear need. 

In Lou We Trust!
Tiger

Always tough to project these guys. Their DT went with the 2nd pick. The Clemson defense was pretty loaded.

At 28, it's what you get. I think he has high potential and he's very athletic.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:15 AM)Synric Wrote: Myles Murphy is walking into the right DL room to develop. His one issue is his lack of development in his hand usage. Trey and Sam both win with their hands over having pure athleticism like Murphy.

And that's important in the NFL. Most guys drafted typically needs good coaching and schemes around them to be successful, as very few can overcome the bad ones, Coming to the Bengals with two veterans to learn from starting day 1 and great coaching can make players like Murphy excel at this level.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
There will be an abundance of tight ends in the second round. There will probably be good tight ends in the third. You don’t pass up a high rated edge rusher with elite measurables for a tight end. First round tight ends have historically underperformed. None of the NFL’s elite tight ends were drafted in the first round. There’s a reason why only just one tight end was drafted in the first round.
Reply/Quote
They nailed the pick.

THIS is what BPA looks like. Actually a Perfect BPA, since he fills a need.

AFAICT, the salty ones are just bitchy because they didn’t get a new toy on offense, the kind of pick we used to make when we were LOSERS.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:29 AM)SladeX Wrote: They nailed the pick.

AFAICT, the salty ones are just bitchy because they didn’t get a new toy on offense, the kind of pick we used to make when we were LOSERS.

It was pretty obvious we wouldn't draft a TE in Round 1. The bang for the buck just isn't there.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:09 AM)J24 Wrote: If we made this pick in February people would have lost their shit. He was considered a top 10 player at that time. Premium pass rushers are hard to fine. Love the pick!

I saw where some had him top five before the combine, including, I believe, Kiper. What is the story with his combine and why he slide out of the top ten?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:44 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Very good pick, imo. I never once saw a mock where Murphy dropped to 28. I was really hoping we would either go pass rusher or CB in round 1, especially with Wright gone. This is a 'we're serious about a SB' pick, imo. Not sexy but the trenches is how we win a SB if you ask me. We have skill players out the wazoo. We need to bolster the lines as much as we can.

Someone in the draft thread posted a list of 35 mocks. There were two that had Murphy at 30, 2 that had the Bengals picking him at 28, and the rest were all earlier. One had him going 8th.  Most in the 17 to 22 range.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:32 AM)Nepa Wrote: I saw where some had him top five before the combine, including, I believe, Kiper. What is the story with his combine and why he slide out of the top ten?

Brent Venables left Clemson to become the Oklahoma head coach. Everyone on that Clemeson defense seemed to kinda freeze in their development including Trenton Simpson who people were talking about as a top 15 player before and during the 2022 season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:29 AM)SladeX Wrote: They nailed the pick.

Anyone complaining about getting the 17th ranked prospect with the 28th selection are just being silly. 

Hendrickson and Hubbard played too many snaps last season and were gassed down the stretch out of no fault of theirs. They are both great players but they are also human and need a break. The Bengals now have a third any down and distance DE that can step in with starter quality traits. Yep, that is sure something to complain about.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:44 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Anyone complaining about getting the 17th ranked prospect with the 28th selection are just being silly. 

Hendrickson and Hubbard played too many snaps last season and were gassed down the stretch out of no fault of theirs. They are both great players but they are also human and need a break. The Bengals now have a third any down and distance DE that can step in with starter quality traits. Yep, that is sure something to complain about.

You're also talking about a guy in Hendrickson who played over 2/3 of the season with a broken hand. Sam is not a true DE/Pass rusher, either. He's definitely a great player and a playmaker both on the inside/outside. Excited to see Ossai also take another positive step like he did over the past half-season.

This was not only an excellent pick as a player/athlete/value pick but one of a huge need.
Reply/Quote
I mentioned this in Discord but I am relieved they didn't take Mayer. I had my eyes on Nolan Smith personally, but a pass rusher is ultimately what I was wanting. The NFL has shown that they can't evaluate tight ends very well. First round bust rates for TEs is rather high and most of the big named guys are peppered around days two and three. I wasn't comfortable risking a first round pick on a position that is that poorly understood from an evaluation perspective.
Reply/Quote
He looks to have an elite first step but didn't develop pass rush moves to push him into the 'next level' but even in his current state could still be productive in the NFL. I honestly think he is somewhere between Trey Hendrickson and Myles Garrett with upside - super fast but seems to have very good strength and a strong butt to anchor. Maybe Brandon Graham but more athletic? This was a really good pick.
Reply/Quote