Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Welcome to the Jungle: Myles Murphy
(04-28-2023, 10:48 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Hill, Carter, and Reader really have no bearing on the use of Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ossai. Ossai is, at this point, more of a situational pass rusher than he is an every down NFL DE. Murphy is an every down NFL DE. He can come in the game at any down or distance in relief or either Hendrickson or Hubbard. He can do this providing starting caliber traits. We currently do not have that guy on our roster. Great teams have great depth!

Yep, and this is the type of pick that you get when your roster is already very solid and has no glaring holes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Happy to have him, although I thought for sure it was going to be Mayer when he fell.
Love the explosiveness of this guy, and he was consistently good in college. Rapien and Liscow think his floor is Hubbard, which is a good floor to have.
I wasn't expecting an edge guy (at least so early) with all of Ossai, Hendrickson, and Hubbard under contract the next two years.
Hopefully Anarumo can devise a good rotation to incorporate all those guys along with Hill, Carter, and Reader.

Speaking of those three... Hendrickson played through injury in 2022, Ossai missed all of 2021, and Hubbard played through injury in 2020. Can never have enough pass rushers lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:27 AM)Synric Wrote: Speaking of those three... Hendrickson played through injury in 2022, Ossai missed all of 2021, and Hubbard played through injury in 2020. Can never have enough pass rushers lol. 

True but I thought that's why they added Basham.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:48 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Hill, Carter, and Reader really have no bearing on the use of Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Ossai. Ossai is, at this point, more of a situational pass rusher than he is an every down NFL DE. Murphy is an every down NFL DE. He can come in the game at any down or distance in relief or either Hendrickson or Hubbard. He can do this providing starting caliber traits. We currently do not have that guy on our roster. Great teams have great depth!

Great teams have great depth is true. Will the Bengals apply that and get another tackle today or tomorrow?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: True but I thought that's why they added Basham.

Basham isn't that good.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Basham isn't that good.

Compared to Murphy, I agree, but as just a rotational guy to get a few sacks and spell Hendrickson and Hubbard, I thought he was an ok add.
I thought they would want to still have Hendrickson and Hubbard play a majority of snaps, not do a true rotation.
Hopefully Murphy gets enough opportunity to make an impact.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Yes sir, needed that every down EDGE. Hubbard is more of a run stopper, Hendrickson is more of a pass rusher. Ossai is also more of a 
pass rusher, Murphy AKA Robocop can do it all well.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:38 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Great teams have great depth is true. Will the Bengals apply that and get another tackle today or tomorrow?

I guess that would be relative to value now wouldn't it? There was certainly not that ability in the position where they drafted Murphy. It is yet to be seen if that value will present itself beyond this point in the draft. However, it will be a tough fit if you are looking to take the BPA as this is a OT deficient draft when compared to other positions in this draft. This is a draft where your 4th best in certain positions are better than your 2nd best OT. Just not a great year for OT talent and you cannot leave talent on the board to make selections at other positions or you are just drafting to draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Compared to Murphy, I agree, but as just a rotational guy to get a few sacks and spell Hendrickson and Hubbard, I thought he was an ok add.
I thought they would want to still have Hendrickson and Hubbard play a majority of snaps, not do a true rotation.

I can see the upside early using Murphy as a rotational run defender at edge and interior pass rusher. Maybe keep Hendrickson fresh later in games and not force Ossai into all those interior pass rush situations. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Here is a table I built out analyzing top-75 picks since 2016 for Cincinnati. 

[Image: GbpA1p7.png]

The "Big Board" column is a consensus draft ranking for the specific player taken from this site. The "BB Value" is the difference in value between their consensus draft ranking and the actual pick, taking from this analysis and finally, the "Pick Gained" is just another representation of the "BB Value" but in draft pick form. For Myles Murphy, the value that Cincinnati received in selecting him 28th when he was the consensus 17th prospect equates to pick 203. For CTB, the value equates to losing pick 203. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Here is a table I built out analyzing top-75 picks since 2016 for Cincinnati. 

[Image: GbpA1p7.png]

yuck Jordan Willis. People thought he was such a steal in the 3rd round since Mayock had him going to Pittsburgh in the 1st round

he fell for the 3rd for a reason. What a terrible player

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:37 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: He could be Hubbard's replacement, but I think he played mostly on the right side, so he might more so spell Hendrickson when he needs to rest. 

I wonder if you might have them both out there at times. Containing the run is still a significant part of winning games, even in our modern passing era.

Let me put three reasons out there why Myles Murphy can help this team:

Isiah Pacheco
Lamar Jackson
Nick Chubb

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:12 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: yuck Jordan Willis. People thought he was such a steal in the 3rd round since Mayock had him going to Pittsburgh in the 1st round

he fell for the 3rd for a reason. What a terrible player

He did nothing for us, but he was making plays for the 49ers this year and in the postseason was one of their best Defenders on a 
stacked Defense. Sucks he did nothing for us, but Willis IS NOT a terrible player now...
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He did nothing for us, but he was making plays for the 49ers this year and in the postseason was one of their best Defenders on a 
stacked Defense. Sucks he did nothing for us, but Willis IS NOT a terrible player now...

Well isn't that interesting! The more you know!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 02:24 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I wonder if you might have them both out there at times. Containing the run is still a significant part of winning games, even in our modern passing era.

Let me put three reasons out there why Myles Murphy can help this team:

Isiah Pacheco
Lamar Jackson
Nick Chubb

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 10:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The 3 Hs will all be instrumental in mentoring and molding this young man into a great Pro!

(04-28-2023, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Hubbard, Hendrickson, and Hanarumo?  Mellow

Harambe.....Too Soon? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
My first chance to react to the Murphy pick. 

The guy is very young, very fast, very strong and very smart. That's a pretty awesome combination and why he was considered to be a top 15 talent by many. The issue is that he has yet to be able to put everything together on a consistent basis. 

When you go watch his game play, you can see why some think he can be great and why some have concerns. When he's on his game, he can look insanely good, focused, composed and able to take over a game...but at other times it looks like they just threw him out there and said go, and what followed was confusion, over pursuing, bad positioning and poor recognition. 

Coaching is going to be a huge factor in his development because there is definitely work to be done, in a few areas of his game...but all the issues are correctable and he has everything a DE needs to be great, which is exciting. 

If Lou and Hobby can get him to perform more consistently, with improved awareness and a couple more pass rush moves...they could end up with a stud D-lineman. Overall, at pick 28, it's a helluva value and if he hits...it will probably be in a big way.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 03:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Harambe.....Too Soon? 

It's been 7 years: I think we're good.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 11:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Compared to Murphy, I agree, but as just a rotational guy to get a few sacks and spell Hendrickson and Hubbard, I thought he was an ok add.

I think that's the issue. We don't need just an ok guy. We want a guy to get 6-8 sacks.
Reply/Quote