Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Surprise Surprise. Same 'Ole
(03-02-2018, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis quote:

"Lewis on Free Agency: Being active is taking care of our own folks and then it goes from there. We are going to bring people to the org that fits."

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/969575693167288320

Well wasn't he just saying after his re-signing that the team NEEDS to be more active in free agency and it hasn't done that enough in the past?

He certainly is singing a different tune less than a month later.

Can we start a pool about whether this team will go over or under .500 this season? Count me in as under...

If winning is secondary to this formula, I am more interested as to how many folks will be attending the games in 2018?  I have already explained that it isn't a function of not wanting to pay to watch this team (as I paid during the 90s, so if that doesn't kick you???) but more of my Father's knee issues.  My son could also care less.  However, a great number of the folks we have shared the section with over the years are also not renewing....many because of Marvin Lewis, some because of Adam Jones, one because of Joe Mixon (I told him he better get used to watching Jeopardy and not sports).

Those stands will be empty
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:24 AM)grampahol Wrote: You need look no further than Cleveland to see how the well oiled trade and free agency machine works year after year . That 0-16 last year and 1-31 record over the past two years is the envy of football fans everywhere ..
Cleveland gets to go to the draft super bowl every season .
Just look how many college players are always saying, GEE I SURE HOPE I GET DRAFTED BY THE BROWNS! 

That's a pretty cheap point, really.  

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the 4 contenders in the conference title games.  

Philly signed two pretty big name WRs and traded for a running back.

Minnesota rebuilt practically an entire offensive line and signed one of the biggest name OL in free agency.

New England won a Super Bowl last year, yet still made a huge FA signing with Gilmore.  They also acquired Cooks in a big trade with New Orleans.  

Jacksonville spent a ton of money in FA on Bouye and Campbell.  

None of them feared free agency and guess what?  They also get to draft and retain their own talent as they see fit.  It's a multi-faceted game that teams play.  The old "look at this shitty team and all their bad free agent signings HAHAHA! We better not try that!" line is tired, and frankly incorrect at this point.

I would in fact argue that it's flat out necessary for a FO to have some aptitude in obtaining outside talent if they want to win a title in this day and age.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If winning is secondary to this formula, I am more interested as to how many folks will be attending the games in 2018?  I have already explained that it isn't a function of not wanting to pay to watch this team (as I paid during the 90s, so if that doesn't kick you???) but more of my Father's knee issues.  My son could also care less.  However, a great number of the folks we have shared the section with over the years are also not renewing....many because of Marvin Lewis, some because of Adam Jones, one because of Joe Mixon (I told him he better get used to watching Jeopardy and not sports).

Those stands will be empty

It's going to be bad.  If they don't win out of the gate, it's going to get even worse.  Why would anyone pay face for tickets when you'll be able to get them for practically nothing from the scalpers before games?  The team should have gutted it's staff and made changes on the roster.  Instead, they are gutting their fanbase. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:52 AM)samhain Wrote: It's going to be bad.  If they don't win out of the gate, it's going to get even worse.  Why would anyone pay face for tickets when you'll be able to get them for practically nothing from the scalpers before games?  The team should have gutted it's staff and made changes on the roster.  Instead, they are gutting their fanbase. 

Mike Brown preparing for that move to another city, obvs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:47 AM)samhain Wrote: That's a pretty cheap point, really.  

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the 4 contenders in the conference title games.  

Philly signed two pretty big name WRs and traded for a running back.

Minnesota rebuilt practically an entire offensive line and signed one of the biggest name OL in free agency.

New England won a Super Bowl last year, yet still made a huge FA signing with Gilmore.  They also acquired Cooks in a big trade with New Orleans.  

Jacksonville spent a ton of money in FA on Bouye and Campbell.  

None of them feared free agency and guess what?  They also get to draft and retain their own talent as they see fit.  It's a multi-faceted game that teams play.  The old "look at this shitty team and all their bad free agent signings HAHAHA! We better not try that!" line is tired, and frankly incorrect at this point.

I would in fact argue that it's flat out necessary for a FO to have some aptitude in obtaining outside talent if they want to win a title in this day and age.  

Yeah really.

The Stains can't be used as an example for much of anything.

Perhaps the Bengals would've benefited long term if they never brought that team back.

No usual fall-back "at least we're not the Browns" logic used for our failing FO and coaching staffs that can't win a playoff game in over two decades(soon to be 3).
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:52 AM)samhain Wrote: It's going to be bad.  If they don't win out of the gate, it's going to get even worse.  Why would anyone pay face for tickets when you'll be able to get them for practically nothing from the scalpers before games?  The team should have gutted it's staff and made changes on the roster.  Instead, they are gutting their fanbase. 

Most season ticket holders I know don't buy them with the thought of selling and making money or anything like that, but when stuff comes up (wedding out of town, etc) and you have to sell because no family or friends are interested (!) and you get only $20 for $60 tickets, it is pretty disheartening.  

I will probably still take Dad and my son to a game or two and arrange a transport to drop us off right at the entrance so he doesn't have to walk as far...maybe get club lounge seats or something.  Would still cost a lot less than the 10 home games times four seats.

I will, more than likely, be able to get those seats for a fraction of their face value as well.  
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown preparing for that move to another city, obvs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDK about that.  He's a pretty old guy and likely won't be around all that much longer.  I think that if he had his way, he'd stay, b/c he fears change so much.  

Katie and Troy are a whole different animal, though.  I've read some things that troy has said about the stadium deal that sure make it sound like he has an axe to grind with the city.  Some view Katie as a possible breath of fresh air, but I thin she might have an eye on relocation.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Most season ticket holders I know don't buy them with the thought of selling and making money or anything like that, but when stuff comes up (wedding out of town, etc) and you have to sell because no family or friends are interested (!) and you get only $20 for $60 tickets, it is pretty disheartening.  

I will probably still take Dad and my son to a game or two and arrange a transport to drop us off right at the entrance so he doesn't have to walk as far...maybe get club lounge seats or something.  Would still cost a lot less than the 10 home games times four seats.

I will, more than likely, be able to get those seats for a fraction of their face value as well.  

Yeah, it's kind of a boon if you don't want to support the Brown family, but still want to see games live.  You can circumvent the entire process by hitting the secondary market and saving tons of money.  Just don't do anything silly like spend a hundred bucks on beer once you're in the gate.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:17 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, it's kind of a boon if you don't want to support the Brown family, but still want to see games live.  You can circumvent the entire process by hitting the secondary market and saving tons of money.  Just don't do anything silly like spend a hundred bucks on beer once you're in the gate.

Haha, I am skilled in the art of the pre-game....but usually I am the driver so we pre-game at Starbucks  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Haha, I am skilled in the art of the pre-game....but usually I am the driver so we pre-game at Starbucks  Hilarious

I pre-game at the same bar in Mainstrasse that I have for years.  Have a few, take an Uber over the bridge and then try not to buy anymore at PBS.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 05:16 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: All ancient. . Even Bernard is approaching the end.

I love how you use moves this team has made 15 years ago as an attempt to prove this team makes good moves. The reality is they havnt  done shit in the last few years but show how incompetent they are. You love resting on marvins laurels dont you...

Bernard will be 27 this year.  If you are calling him ancient then your argument is a compleet joke.

Marvin Jones 
George Iloka

Plus I forgot Kirkpatrick.

I also think Josh Malone will be on that list in a year or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bernard will be 27 this year.  If you are calling him ancient then your argument is a compleet joke.

Marvin Jones 
George Iloka

The point was none of them were from recent acquisitions. I thought that was obvious.  My apologies .

Bernard probably has a couple years left. Maybe I am wrong but rbs don't have a long lifespan in the NFL. I clearly said approaching btw. 

I like how you said absolutely nothing in regards to my point that the bengals have not done shit the past few years in regards to fa. 

Also, since you brought Dre k into it... 

JJ is now the Texans all time int leader. Who would you rather have had?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 09:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Carson quit and forced them to trade and Chad screamed for one earlier too.

Not sure all these players shold be credited to FO. 

Plus we traded Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson for Gio, Jones, forget the other on your list. 

Not sure it was worth it but had to do it. Not because FO was trying to though

Good point. They were being reactive rather than proactive with those trades. 

I think the overall point is that the Bengals are never aggressively active trying to improve the team quickly. We all know what it looks like when a team does that. It's like when NE won the SB and still made major signings and trades. Even with our best trade (a scrub for Reggie Nelson) was more luck than aggression. Nelson was viewed as a guy that wasn't panning out. That's why we got him for peanuts. It worked out great, but it wasn't considered a bold move at the time.

It was classic Mike going for value with a former 1st round flop. It just panned out that time. 9 times out of 10, it hasn't panned out. It's a lazy move. Not aggressive championship stuff. Heck, all teams take a chance on former flops, but they also get aggressive when they smell that they're close...or when the team has a clear need. The Bengals NEVER get aggressive. I've even seen Fred admit as much.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to be doom and gloom but its the same old crap. The eagles proves free agency works for the good. It always has unless you didn't develop hardly anybody through the draft like the old eagles team that failed.

Unless we luckily fall into a decent player that the pay isn't Mich I expect the max success we can have is one playoff win with a decent free agent and not a bum.

I hate their way of thinking too far into the future I'd sign geno this year and try for dunlap next year. Dunlap will be another year older and loves Cincinnati anyway. We can terminate expensive contracts that are too high and have even more money . There is just no reason not to be able to grab a couple good players . We got a qb that don't command alot of money to help with that. Our front office way of doing things will never bring a trophy it just won't. You see what all Philly had yo do yo get one and barely win. They did everything perfect as possible.
Reply/Quote
I hope we resign Eifert, and then not have the ability to sign Dunlap/Geno. That'd be awesome.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 05:14 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I hope we resign Eifert, and then not have the ability to sign Dunlap/Geno. That'd be awesome.

Won't have the money for Eifert,Dunlap, or Atkins after Bodine signs new contract.
Reply/Quote
Yea, as you said surprise surprise. Did anyone really think there would be any significant changes? Of course not.
Reply/Quote
Have you ever had to go to the bathroom real bad and sit down on the toilet and just let go only to be really disappointed when finished and you look in the bowl and say "THAT'S ALL THERE IS?"

That's the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bernard will be 27 this year.  If you are calling him ancient then your argument is a compleet joke.

Marvin Jones 
George Iloka

The list of guys who played on a team that hasn't won a playoff game in the last 27 years?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 07:12 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Have you ever had to go to the bathroom real bad and sit down on the toilet and just let go only to be really disappointed when finished and you look in the bowl and say "THAT'S ALL THERE IS?"

That's the Bengals.

[Image: metaphor_5.gif?itok=sEOHVVti&resize=1100x619]

Reply/Quote