Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, they did it, we have Glass Eaters.
All we asked for this offseason, all everyone (including national media) was clamoring for was to overhaul the OL.

I have to say I am impressed with the Front office. There where many ways this could have been done and this is about as good as I could have imagined. I never thought overhauling 4 was realistic as they invested some picks last year and I assume they will add with more picks this year, to fill out the 5th spot and depth. Maybe I’m wrong and they still take care of that, but none the less… impressive job and kudos to all involved.

Getting a top 15 gaurd, an upgrade at center that can play multiple positions and arguably a top 5 RT.

Don’t be surprised to see a top 12 OL next year, and continue to get better as the season goes on.

I know they (the front office) are still not done, but so far… this is what everyone wanted and I think the urgency by the team meets the fan expectations.

Also, hurst was a nice pickup to replace CJ, don’t be surprised if he exceeds everything CJ did last year.

Who dey.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’d still be stoked if someway somehow Linderbaum fell to us in the draft! Some mocks have him going as high as 9 and some have him at 29. ??‍♂️
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:58 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’d still be stoked if someway somehow Linderbaum fell to us in the draft! Some mocks have him going as high as 9 and some have him at 29. ??‍♂️

Agree! I don’t think we would pass on the right OL prospect of he is there, but the biggest (only) weakness of this team was shored up. This was about a year too late (unfortunate injury to Reiff and slower development by carman didn’t help) but better late than never.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if they'd draft a C. I would. I feel like they have bigger things to consider like our safeties have 1 year left on their contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if they'd draft a C. I would. I feel like they have bigger things to consider like our safeties have 1 year left on their contracts.

Right. Most likely one of them is gone next year (ala Hill/Larry O). Without the signing of Collins, OL would be the clear need, and it could still be the right pick, but I’m so happy this organization did what they needed to do.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:58 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’d still be stoked if someway somehow Linderbaum fell to us in the draft! Some mocks have him going as high as 9 and some have him at 29. ??‍♂️

(03-20-2022, 11:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Agree! I don’t think we would pass on the right OL prospect of he is there, but the biggest (only) weakness of this team was shored up. This was about a year too late (unfortunate injury to Reiff and slower development by carman didn’t help) but better late than never.

I think if Linderbaum or Zion Johnson get close they would trade up a few spots even. Zion Johnson will have a huge immediate impact not to the degree Creed Humphrey was but pretty good. I don’t think it’s realistic but if they’d go get Gilmore now and trade up a few spots and get Zion oh my. We are talking a 14-3 team with a ridiculous schedule and AFC in general. Right now 11-6 looks good and trust me KC and Buffalo are going to have more losses this year too.The AFC is brutal.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:46 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: All we asked for this offseason, all everyone (including national media) was clamoring for was to overhaul the OL.

I have to say I am impressed with the Front office.  There where many ways this could have been done and this is about as good as I could have imagined.  I never thought overhauling 4 was realistic as they invested some picks last year and I assume they will add with more picks this year, to fill out the 5th spot and depth.  Maybe I’m wrong and they still take care of that, but none the less… impressive job and kudos to all involved.

Getting a top 15 gaurd, an upgrade at center that can play multiple positions and arguably a top 5 RT.  

Don’t be surprised to see a top 12 OL next year, and continue to get better as the season goes on.  

I know they (the front office) are still not done, but so far… this is what everyone wanted and I think the urgency by the team meets the fan expectations.  

Also, hurst was a nice pickup to replace CJ, don’t be surprised if he exceeds everything CJ did last year.

Who dey.

Yes, this is the day I was waiting for. I didn't expect them to ignore the OL like others but I could of seen things going a 
little wrong after the year we just had. We were ahead of schedule and made it to the big game in spite of having a bad 
Offensive Line. Now this shouldn't be a problem barring injuries like crazy. We got Pollack's glass eaters in Cappa, Karras
and Collins and we can draft openly and keep improving across the board on a team that was arguably the best.

Good luck stopping Burrow with an OL that can block, these weapons and Mixon having holes to run through with a D
that is physical and intimidating and doesn't allow Offenses to score much.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this is the day I was waiting for. I didn't expect them to ignore the OL like others but I could of seen things going a 
little wrong after the year we just had. We were ahead of schedule and made it to the big game in spite of having a bad 
Offensive Line. Now this shouldn't be a problem barring injuries like crazy. We got Pollack's glass eaters in Cappa, Karras
and Collins and we can draft openly and keep improving across the board on a team that was arguably the best.

Good luck stopping Burrow with an OL that can block, these weapons and Mixon having holes to run through with a D
that is physical and intimidating and doesn't allow Offenses to score much.

I could have seen one signing as “enough” In their eyes. We all knew better. This could be the best line since 2005/2015, and those lines saw Palmer/Dalton as MVP candidates and opened holes in our running game. Mixon should be as excited as burrow for next year.
Reply/Quote
Saw the term “Glass Eaters” for the first time a week ago, and it seems like it’s the most common thing I’ve read since then.

Glad we have these new glass eaters rather than the ass eaters we’ve had for most of my fandom.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Bengals should buy some candy glass (it's not THAT expensive) and do videos of their linemen eating glass...
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 12:14 AM)Joelist Wrote: Bengals should buy some candy glass (it's not THAT expensive) and do videos of their linemen eating glass...

Oh, I thought they really ate glass. You just bursted my bubble.
Reply/Quote
Stream Eating Glass For ASMR music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for  free on SoundCloud
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Kudos to the Front Office on an outstanding job !!!

Who Dey Tiger Who Dey

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:58 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: I’d still be stoked if someway somehow Linderbaum fell to us in the draft! Some mocks have him going as high as 9 and some have him at 29.  ??‍♂️

There isn't a lot left in the FA CB market, but if they could sign one for depth/competition then the possibility of Linderbaum at 31 becomes very real and you can move Karras to RG.  I am sure that would piss off Carman, but it would give him another year to develop and quality depth behind Karras should there be injuries.

There aren't odds yet, but if there is a gambling site that allows wagers for position guesses for each team's pick, I would bet heavily on CB or 3T DT at 31 if Linderbaum is gone.  Long shot:  A WR like Olave....hell, I might just take a WR at 31 that can be a beast #4 WR and can provide quality depth.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There isn't a lot left in the FA CB market, but if they could sign one for depth/competition then the possibility of Linderbaum at 31 becomes very real and you can move Karras to RG.  I am sure that would piss off Carman, but it would give him another year to develop and quality depth behind Karras should there be injuries.

There aren't odds yet, but if there is a gambling site that allows wagers for position guesses for each team's pick, I would bet heavily on CB or 3T DT at 31 if Linderbaum is gone.  Long shot:  A WR like Olave....hell, I might just take a WR at 31 that can be a beast #4 WR and can provide quality depth.  

Best available FA:
CB Stephon Gilmore
Gilmore made the Patriots' defense tick from 2017 to 2019, as he played lockdown man coverage better than any corner in the league. He's at his best playing press man where he can cover the league's best receivers, but he comes back down to Earth when asked to play more zone concepts.

CB Steven Nelson
Steven Nelson is a classic overachiever at the cornerback position. A little undersized, he has been a consistently good player in the NFL, making up for some limitations with feisty physicality. He is better in zone coverage, but can hold up in man coverage too and would fit within most NFL defenses. He would be a good option to a team that needs several cornerback additions like the Cardinals or Vikings.

CB Bryce Callahan
Callahan stepped up and played some outside cornerback for Denver in 2020 when he was called on, but that's not where he's at his best. Callahan has been one of the best nickel cornerbacks in the NFL with a 96th percentile slot coverage grade since 2017. Brandon Staley's defense in Los Angeles stands out as a scheme fit for Callahan if the Chargers aren't planning on re-signing Chris Harris Jr. this offseason.

CB Janoris Jenkins
As Jenkins continues to bounce from team to team, he remains a reliable starting option outside. He has earned PFF grades between 64.0 and 73.0 in every season of his career outside of a career-best 82.5 mark in 2016 with the New York Giants.

CB Robert Alford
Alford is the kind of defensive back you can use to stabilize a defensive backfield in need. With the attrition and injuries suffered in Tampa Bay, he may be an option for a similarly blitz-heavy, majority-zone defense.

CB Patrick Peterson
Peterson was one of the best corners of his generation at his peak, but at 32 he is now seemingly well beyond that peak. He still has enough experience and savvy to hold up overall, but isn't as quick or rangy as he once was which hurts his production in both zone and man coverage.

CB Joe Haden
As an older defensive back, playing much less press coverage, it's time to take a look at slot DB or play outside in a zone-heavy scheme. If playing inside is a dealbreaker, the Giants and Raiders may want to take a look at Haden. Patrick Graham and Gus Bradley run Cover 1 less than 15% of the time, and allow their corners to play with the depth Haden needs to keep the game in front of him.

CB K'Waun Williams
You don't want Williams in a defense consistently asking him to stick with receivers in single coverage, but he's an effective slot option in a zone-heavy defense that asks him to get downhill on underneath passes and be an above-average run defender for his position.

CB Jason Verrett
Given Verrett's injury history, it's difficult to project him as a starter despite his starter skills. He's an outside corner.

CB Chris Harris Jr.
One of the best corners of his generation, Harris is at his best as a nickel corner capable of playing both man or zone coverage. He has had success on the outside during his career, but those reps are likely best if limited at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:29 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Best available FA:
CB Stephon Gilmore
Gilmore made the Patriots' defense tick from 2017 to 2019, as he played lockdown man coverage better than any corner in the league. He's at his best playing press man where he can cover the league's best receivers, but he comes back down to Earth when asked to play more zone concepts.

CB Steven Nelson
Steven Nelson is a classic overachiever at the cornerback position. A little undersized, he has been a consistently good player in the NFL, making up for some limitations with feisty physicality. He is better in zone coverage, but can hold up in man coverage too and would fit within most NFL defenses. He would be a good option to a team that needs several cornerback additions like the Cardinals or Vikings.

CB Bryce Callahan
Callahan stepped up and played some outside cornerback for Denver in 2020 when he was called on, but that's not where he's at his best. Callahan has been one of the best nickel cornerbacks in the NFL with a 96th percentile slot coverage grade since 2017. Brandon Staley's defense in Los Angeles stands out as a scheme fit for Callahan if the Chargers aren't planning on re-signing Chris Harris Jr. this offseason.

CB Janoris Jenkins
As Jenkins continues to bounce from team to team, he remains a reliable starting option outside. He has earned PFF grades between 64.0 and 73.0 in every season of his career outside of a career-best 82.5 mark in 2016 with the New York Giants.

CB Robert Alford
Alford is the kind of defensive back you can use to stabilize a defensive backfield in need. With the attrition and injuries suffered in Tampa Bay, he may be an option for a similarly blitz-heavy, majority-zone defense.

CB Patrick Peterson
Peterson was one of the best corners of his generation at his peak, but at 32 he is now seemingly well beyond that peak. He still has enough experience and savvy to hold up overall, but isn't as quick or rangy as he once was which hurts his production in both zone and man coverage.

CB Joe Haden
As an older defensive back, playing much less press coverage, it's time to take a look at slot DB or play outside in a zone-heavy scheme. If playing inside is a dealbreaker, the Giants and Raiders may want to take a look at Haden. Patrick Graham and Gus Bradley run Cover 1 less than 15% of the time, and allow their corners to play with the depth Haden needs to keep the game in front of him.

CB K'Waun Williams
You don't want Williams in a defense consistently asking him to stick with receivers in single coverage, but he's an effective slot option in a zone-heavy defense that asks him to get downhill on underneath passes and be an above-average run defender for his position.

CB Jason Verrett
Given Verrett's injury history, it's difficult to project him as a starter despite his starter skills. He's an outside corner.

CB Chris Harris Jr.
One of the best corners of his generation, Harris is at his best as a nickel corner capable of playing both man or zone coverage. He has had success on the outside during his career, but those reps are likely best if limited at this point in his career.

I appreciate your post. I'm living in the past, so Peterson intrigues me and NFL.com offered in their FA tracker that he still has some juice left in the tank based on a good season with the Vikings.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:29 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Best available FA:
CB Stephon Gilmore

CB Steven Nelson

CB Bryce Callahan

CB Janoris Jenkins

CB Robert Alford

CB Patrick Peterson

CB Joe Haden

CB K'Waun Williams

CB Jason Verrett

CB Chris Harris Jr.

I mentioned that I am not big on Gillmore and Haden due to age and declining play...

Nelson was someone I brought up earlier, but was informed he was the one that said "that boy trash" about Joe Burrow  his rookie season....

Callahan and Williams are slot guys.  

I want nothing to do with Jenkins.  

The only guy left is Alford and that intrigues me.  He is a little smaller than the Bengals prefer, but grades out pretty well on coverage...
Reply/Quote
Sure, they eat glass. But I sure hope they don't block like glass.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Both Joe Burrow and Joe Mixon have to be relishing the thought of playing behind a quality OL this season. Now, get that unit on the practice field and start developing some cohesion!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 08:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There isn't a lot left in the FA CB market, but if they could sign one for depth/competition then the possibility of Linderbaum at 31 becomes very real and you can move Karras to RG.  I am sure that would piss off Carman, but it would give him another year to develop and quality depth behind Karras should there be injuries.

I actually think Carman will be just fine at LG. He's one more year removed from back surgery, he knows the system, and more importanly he has strength on both sides of him now instead of weakness. He can play the left guard spot and not worry about what the Center and Right Tackle are doing. He's also back to the left side. And probably most importantly, they just added 3 Super Bowl rings to the line, and these guys are all business all the time. I think what is about to happen to the oline room can't be overstated. Just like Chase set the tone in the WR room with his downfield blocking, Karras, Cappa and Collins will set the tone in the O line room and show the new guys what it means to be a pro's pro. (still want them to sign Spain just in case)
Reply/Quote