Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, well, well...
Here we are, fresh off of another crushing loss to our biggest rivals. Yes, Marvin is walking out of pressers, there are team only meetings going on, players are starting to publicly complain about opportunities, etc. It is already that time of the year, when everyone starts getting frustrated, questioning why they believed in this team, yet again..

I likely don't need to remind anyone that I predicted in the preseason that we were likely looking at a 3-13 type of team this year. (because many of you blasted me for it) Folks clamored about how John Ross was going to "take the top off of defenses", and set the NFL on fire with his blazing speed. I think he's played one down this season. However, I may have been a bit rash in that prediction. We're actually looking more like a 5-6 win team these days. Just well enough to not get one of the sure bets in the draft, but poor enough to be in what I call "draft purgatory". Draft purgatory is that zone where the absolute top picks are gone, and it's too early to spend the pick on a second round talent that fits your need.

Draft purgatory aside, many fans are disappointed, yet again. They chose to buy into the hype that the Brown family was selling, again. Sure, there are going to be the eternal optimists that are just waiting for this team to turn the corner, and all will be gravy after.. Well, this team can't run the ball, can't stop the run, and is increasingly looking vulnerable to efficient passers. I don't see any magical corners turning this season.

Who do we blame? Sure, Marvin is an easy target, he's the Head Coach after all. However personally, I feel like Marvin is doing the very best that he can, with what he has to work with. So, the only fault I can lay on him is for continuing to play the role of Head Coach.

The real blame is where it's been since 1991, our owner, Mr. Mike Brown. His "methods" have made it so that a team that had 3 likely HOFers (Whit, Atkins, Dunlap) are all likely to finish their careers without having challenged for, let alone competed in a Championship game. In my opinion, the Bengals organization is a fantastic bureaucracy. They do very well at perpetuating their existence, and growing their accumulative wealth. But to what end? They're never going to be the richest on any list. Why not invest in a Championship? Then they would at least have a legacy tribute to Paul Brown completed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here we are, fresh off of another crushing loss to our biggest rivals. Yes, Marvin is walking out of pressers, there are team only meetings going on, players are starting to publicly complain about opportunities, etc. It is already that time of the year, when everyone starts getting frustrated, questioning why they believed in this team, yet again..

I likely don't need to remind anyone that I predicted in the preseason that we were likely looking at a 3-13 type of team this year. (because many of you blasted me for it) Folks clamored about how John Ross was going to "take the top off of defenses", and set the NFL on fire with his blazing speed. I think he's played one down this season. However, I may have been a bit rash in that prediction. We're actually looking more like a 5-6 win team these days. Just well enough to not get one of the sure bets in the draft, but poor enough to be in what I call "draft purgatory". Draft purgatory is that zone where the absolute top picks are gone, and it's too early to spend the pick on a second round talent that fits your need.

Draft purgatory aside, many fans are disappointed, yet again. They chose to buy into the hype that the Brown family was selling, again. Sure, there are going to be the eternal optimists that are just waiting for this team to turn the corner, and all will be gravy after.. Well, this team can't run the ball, can't stop the run, and is increasingly looking vulnerable to efficient passers. I don't see any magical corners turning this season.

Who do we blame? Sure, Marvin is an easy target, he's the Head Coach after all. However personally, I feel like Marvin is doing the very best that he can, with what he has to work with. So, the only fault I can lay on him is for continuing to play the role of Head Coach.

The real blame is where it's been since 1991, our owner, Mr. Mike Brown. His "methods" have made it so that a team that had 3 likely HOFers (Whit, Atkins, Dunlap) are all likely to finish their careers without having challenged for, let alone competed in a Championship game. In my opinion, the Bengals organization is a fantastic bureaucracy. They do very well at perpetuating their existence, and growing their accumulative wealth. But to what end? They're never going to be the richest on any list. Why not invest in a Championship? Then they would at least have a legacy tribute to Paul Brown completed.

Spot on!
Reply/Quote
Love of money can be greater than love of family or fans to some. That's always been MB's history, which will be his legacy. We suck and this organization needs blown up, dismantled, destroyed, crumbled and pushed out to sea. The implosion has already begun.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:34 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Spot on!

Dunlap is not a hall of famer. He couldn't muster a sack against a backup tackle yesterday. 
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here we are, fresh off of another crushing loss to our biggest rivals.  Yes, Marvin is walking out of pressers, there are team only meetings going on, players are starting to publicly complain about opportunities, etc.  It is already that time of the year, when everyone starts getting frustrated, questioning why they believed in this team, yet again..

I likely don't need to remind anyone that I predicted in the preseason that we were likely looking at a 3-13 type of team this year. (because many of you blasted me for it)  Folks clamored about how John Ross was going to "take the top off of defenses", and set the NFL on fire with his blazing speed.  I think he's played one down this season.   However, I may have been a bit rash in that prediction.  We're actually looking more like a 5-6 win team these days.  Just well enough to not get one of the sure bets in the draft, but poor enough to be in what I call "draft purgatory".  Draft purgatory is that zone where the absolute top picks are gone, and it's too early to spend the pick on a second round talent that fits your need.

Draft purgatory aside, many fans are disappointed, yet again.  They chose to buy into the hype that the Brown family was selling, again.  Sure, there are going to be the eternal optimists that are just waiting for this team to turn the corner, and all will be gravy after..  Well, this team can't run the ball, can't stop the run, and is increasingly looking vulnerable to efficient passers.  I don't see any magical corners turning this season.

Who do we blame?  Sure, Marvin is an easy target, he's the Head Coach after all.  However personally, I feel like Marvin is doing the very best that he can, with what he has to work with.  So, the only fault I can lay on him is for continuing to play the role of Head Coach.

The real blame is where it's been since 1991, our owner, Mr. Mike Brown.  His "methods" have made it so that a team that had 3 likely HOFers (Whit, Atkins, Dunlap) are all likely to finish their careers without having challenged for, let alone competed in a Championship game.  In my opinion, the Bengals organization is a fantastic bureaucracy.  They do very well at perpetuating their existence, and growing their accumulative wealth.  But to what end?  They're never going to be the richest on any list.  Why not invest in a Championship?  Then they would at least have a legacy tribute to Paul Brown completed.

Abso-fuggin-lutely.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If you read Marvie's presser from today and some of his absolutely asinine horse shit responses, you will find it a LITTLE easier to blame him....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:38 PM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: Dunlap is not a hall of famer. He couldn't muster a sack against a backup tackle yesterday. 

True that....but it was easy to move away from him.  No one played worth a damn yesterday on defense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
You know what really sucks? The AFC stinks badly this season with the exceptions of Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. Cincinnati could have walked their way to a wild card berth.
Reply/Quote
I agree with some of what you say but Mike Brown doesn't choose not to give Mixon a carry in the second half. That's on Marvin. This team was good enough to win a Superbowl for multiple years but couldn't win a playoff game. That's onMarvin.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: True that....but it was easy to move away from him.  No one played worth a damn yesterday on defense.

William Jackson III had a great day tbh. 
But he's one CB.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: William Jackson III had a great day tbh. 
But he's one CB.

So did Darqueze Dennard. Speaking thereof, why aren’t Dennard and Jackson starting?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: So did Darqueze Dennard.  Speaking thereof, why aren’t Dennard and Jackson starting?

Dennard missed a handful of tackles and got beat bad on the TD by Brown. 

He had a meh day
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Dennard missed a handful of tackles and got beat bad on the TD by Brown. 

He had a meh day

Darqueze looks like a Pro Bowler compared to Dre Kirkpatrick. Admittedly, this is not difficult.
Reply/Quote
Man, there's just something about this franchise. It breeds disappointment and heartache.

Assuming they don't have a miraculous turnaround this season...it will mean they've finished 47 of their 50 seasons without a single playoff win. Think about that, 47 out of 50!

People often look at the 80's as the golden era of Bengals football because of the 2 Super Bowls, but there were only 4 winning seasons during that decade.

Others point to the Lewis era as the best, because of 7 playoff appearances...but every one of those ended in an embarrassing loss.

One things for sure -- being a Bengals fan is definitely not for the faint of heart!  Gaah
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:58 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, there's just something about this franchise. It breeds disappointment and heartache.

Assuming they don't have a miraculous turnaround this season...it will mean they've finished 47 of their 50 seasons without a single playoff win. Think about that, 47 out of 50!

People often look at the 80's as the golden era of Bengals football because of the 2 Super Bowls, but there were only 4 winning seasons during that decade.

Others point to the Lewis era as the best, because of 7 playoff appearances...but every one of those ended in an embarrassing loss.

One things for sure -- being a Bengals fan is definitely not for the faint of heart!  Gaah

Well at least we made the Super Bowl twice in that decade. I would take that over what we had going before last year. 

I know this sounds stupid, but this is almost worse than the 90's. At least then I could stop caring 4 or 5 games into the season and not have to worry about the playoffs.  Now, it is 17 weeks of agony. Being almost good then losing every big game the same damn way time and time again. Making the same stupid mistakes every year. Our players saying "This is Steeler week and we are pumped" and getting kicked around and out coached the same exact way every freaking time. 

I know Marvin is a lot to blame for this shit, but I would love for him to make Paul Alexander go out there to the podium and explain to the media exactly what he saw in Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine, and explain his teaching technique to the whole world.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here we are, fresh off of another crushing loss to our biggest rivals.  Yes, Marvin is walking out of pressers, there are team only meetings going on, players are starting to publicly complain about opportunities, etc.  It is already that time of the year, when everyone starts getting frustrated, questioning why they believed in this team, yet again..

I likely don't need to remind anyone that I predicted in the preseason that we were likely looking at a 3-13 type of team this year. (because many of you blasted me for it)  Folks clamored about how John Ross was going to "take the top off of defenses", and set the NFL on fire with his blazing speed.  I think he's played one down this season.   However, I may have been a bit rash in that prediction.  We're actually looking more like a 5-6 win team these days.  Just well enough to not get one of the sure bets in the draft, but poor enough to be in what I call "draft purgatory".  Draft purgatory is that zone where the absolute top picks are gone, and it's too early to spend the pick on a second round talent that fits your need.

Draft purgatory aside, many fans are disappointed, yet again.  They chose to buy into the hype that the Brown family was selling, again.  Sure, there are going to be the eternal optimists that are just waiting for this team to turn the corner, and all will be gravy after..  Well, this team can't run the ball, can't stop the run, and is increasingly looking vulnerable to efficient passers.  I don't see any magical corners turning this season.

Who do we blame?  Sure, Marvin is an easy target, he's the Head Coach after all.  However personally, I feel like Marvin is doing the very best that he can, with what he has to work with.  So, the only fault I can lay on him is for continuing to play the role of Head Coach.

The real blame is where it's been since 1991, our owner, Mr. Mike Brown.  His "methods" have made it so that a team that had 3 likely HOFers (Whit, Atkins, Dunlap) are all likely to finish their careers without having challenged for, let alone competed in a Championship game.  In my opinion, the Bengals organization is a fantastic bureaucracy.  They do very well at perpetuating their existence, and growing their accumulative wealth.  But to what end?  They're never going to be the richest on any list.  Why not invest in a Championship?  Then they would at least have a legacy tribute to Paul Brown completed.

I got blasted too for saying we had lost a lot of quality players in free agency and entered rebuilding. There are some fans that think our model is being copied. Shakes my head.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If you read Marvie's presser from today and some of his absolutely asinine horse shit responses, you will find it a LITTLE easier to blame him....

Like I said, he's doing the best that he can.  I blame his boss, for allowing him the opportunity to continue.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I said, he's doing the best that he can.  I blame his boss, for allowing him the opportunity to continue.

That's better
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals were to suddenly change their ways, and offer complete control to a General Manager from outside the organization, how long do you think the line of applicants would be?

I mean, think about it. An individual would have the opportunity to take this franchise, and direct it the way it should be done. An actual GM, without emotional attachment to the finances or the team itself would likely have made moves that resulted in this team being 5-1 or 6-0 right now. A genuine Football mind running the Football operations. What a novel concept.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I said, he's doing the best that he can.  I blame his boss, for allowing him the opportunity to continue.

He said he cant see expanding Mixon's role.
He said he sat Mixon so he could learn from JEREMY HILL. 

Mike Brown is 100% the root of all problems here. But Lewis is not doing himself any favors today. 
Reply/Quote