Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Welp I'm changing my mind about free agency
Are you positive, neutral ,or negative now going into free agency and the off season?

I went from negative thinking same old crap to absolutely stunned they made a trade. The last big trade we made was when we got 2 draft picks for Carson Palmer I think. And I think that helped us get to the playoffs .

Now this shakes things up at every stand point from draft to who we resign and sign. We might not sign Bodine (really really hoping). Can you imagine them making another good move and not bringing him back. They might not bring back Smith now,which I'm fine with if your going to draft another tackle.

When I really think about it. The offseasons when I did not like any of the moves we didn't make the playoffs. To me the pats and eagles have set the blueprint clear as day. Eagles went and drafted a elite qb ,they did trades , their draft picks turned out good and they used free agency,and had a capable back up qb. They had a ok enough backup but they used free agency and did everything right management wise that they still won the Superbowl over the afc team who does exactly the same as they do.

We have to start winning the offseasons I think,it all starts in free agency. Then the draft . If I feel like we came out good in the moves and signings and draft I think we have a great shot at going farther then usual. I don't think the Bengals should end it with these two signings though we need a couple more. Now the fun part is seeing what else happens. If all the rest of the moves are Like eww and the draft picks are eww then I might be negative again. But right now I feel this year will be different then the rest and I'm stoked. WHO DEY 2018
Reply/Quote
Well unlike the past several years, this team has proven me wrong on a few accounts. I said they would never fire Paul Alexander: I was wrong. I said they wouldn't part ways with pacman, I was also partially wrong (it remains to be seen if they bring him back for lesser money Whatever ), I said it would be the same old song and dance with free agency... I was very wrong.

As dismal and pathetic that this franchise can be, this offseason has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. I'm not going to start jumping for joy and celebrate "winning the offseason" just yet... But it has been way better than expected ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well unlike the past several years, this team has proven me wrong on a few accounts. I said they would never fire Paul Alexander: I was wrong. I said they wouldn't part ways with pacman, I was also partially wrong (it remains to be seen if they bring him back for lesser money Whatever ), I said it would be the same old song and dance with free agency... I was very wrong.

As dismal and pathetic that this franchise can be, this offseason has been a very pleasant surprise thus far. I'm not going to start jumping for joy and celebrate "winning the offseason" just yet... But it has been way better than expected ThumbsUp
I agree lol every move has been a good move so far , I never expected them to actually make a trade before free agency. They upgraded on position coaches I liked all of them hiring. Jones needed to.atleast be demoted and it happened . Let's get our lucky rabbit feet out and hope the good things continue. Im.a believer now if you make the good moves now it'll pay off during the season.there has been team flops but not every free agent spending team is going to automatically win. Also if Marvin was in Baltimore and management  didn't use free agency he most likely has no ring.
Reply/Quote
I like what I see so far.....now that need to...

let Bodine walk
cut Michael Johnson

and take a C and LB with the first two picks, Im fine with them trading back again in the first rd as well and all centers on the board should still be around....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I am happy, I think the Glenn deal was solid and I like the Baker signing. I'd like to see what 2nd tier LB's may be available next week to add a potential starter or some depth. I am thinking maybe a guy like Zach Brown or a Demario Davis or Nigel Bradham.
Reply/Quote
Cautiously optimistic at this point. I like the Cordy Glenn trade, and I also liked the pickup of Baker. I agreed with not picking up Jones's option.
I still don't want to see Bodine back on the team.

EDIT - This team will convince me they've changed their approach if there's a good outside FA brought in to play C or a Day 1/2 pick is spent on a C. It will also show me how much Pollack seems to have his influence right out of the gate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:54 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well unlike the past several years, this team has proven me wrong on a few accounts. I said they would never fire Paul Alexander: I was wrong. I said they wouldn't part ways with pacman, I was also partially wrong (it remains to be seen if they bring him back for lesser money Whatever ), I said it would be the same old song and dance with free agency... I was very wrong.

When you start adding these things up--getting rid of PA, not picking up the option on Adam Jones, and now this--this off season most definitely has a different feel to it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Cautiously optimistic at this point. I like the Cordy Glenn trade, and I also liked the pickup of Baker. I agreed with not picking up Jones's option.
I still don't want to see Bodine back on the team.

Not bringing back Jefro would definitely be the icing on what's turning into a pretty nice cake.  Fingers crossed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:44 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Are you positive, neutral ,or negative now going into free agency and the off season?

I went from negative thinking same old crap to absolutely stunned they made a trade. The last big trade we made was when we got 2 draft picks for Carson Palmer I think. And I think that helped us get to the playoffs .

Now this shakes things up at every stand point from draft to who we resign and sign. We might not sign Bodine (really really hoping). Can you imagine them making another good move and not bringing him back. They might not bring back Smith now,which I'm fine with if your going to draft another tackle.

When I really think about it. The offseasons when I did not like any of the moves we didn't make the playoffs. To me the pats and eagles have set the blueprint clear as day. Eagles went and drafted a elite qb ,they did trades , their draft picks turned out good and they used free agency,and had a capable back up qb. They had a ok enough backup but they used free agency and did everything right management wise that they still won the Superbowl over the afc team who does exactly the same as they do.

We have to start winning the offseasons I think,it all starts in free agency. Then the draft . If I feel like we came out good in the moves and signings and draft I think we have a great shot at going farther then usual. I don't think the Bengals should end it with these two signings though we need a couple more. Now the fun part is seeing what else happens. If all the rest of the moves are Like eww and the draft picks are eww then I might be negative again. But right now I feel this year will be different then the rest and I'm stoked. WHO DEY 2018
Maybe we won't have to fear the Browns after all.

Reply/Quote
Negative

Retaining Marvin Lewis yet again
Filling/retaining all defensive position coaches with no say from Teryl Austin

Neutral

I felt we could've done better than Teryl Austin, but I don't hate the move
Bobby Hart didn't perform well in NY, but at the very least, he's decent insurance (with plenty of starting experience) for Jake Fisher

Positive

Firing PA and replacing him with Frank Pollack - doesn't get much better than that
Making the ultimatum to cut/restructure Pacman was very un-Bengal like and a positive step
Despite what people are saying, Chris Baker was a good signing
Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big boy move

Still need to see

We need a new Center and Right Guard (fingers crossed for the draft)
Cutting MJ to free up more money for upgrades would be nice, but I don't expect it
We need to bring back Eifert if his injuries are reflected in his price (7+ million would be a major gamble) - if not Eifert, we still need a TE

That's about it for the major moves.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:32 AM)McC Wrote: Maybe we won't have to fear the Browns after all.

We'll see. I think with a fully upgraded line, the Bengals are a playoff caliber team.

I respect the moves Cleveland is making though. They won't lose for all eternity.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We'll see. I think with a fully upgraded line, the Bengals are a playoff caliber team.

I respect the moves Cleveland is making though. They won't lose for all eternity.

Maybe just for the rest of my life.  That would be sufficient for me.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 08:44 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Are you positive, neutral ,or negative now going into free agency and the off season?

well if you don't remember we made it to playoffs without those 2 picks from palmer even being drafted yet
Reply/Quote

This.  I'll take my crow pan seared, with Texas Pete, please.

Now, as for how this translates to wins/losses and playoffs?  I'll still remain rather cynical about that until I see different from Merv.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gotta bring back andre regardless. Other than Boling and smith who we got. And other than Boling smith was our best offensive lineman and maybe most valuable playing all over the line. U can’t let smith walk. And why not have two huge anchors on the lt as rt side in smith and Glenn.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:40 AM)McC Wrote: Maybe just for the rest of my life.  That would be sufficient for me.

Well the good news is that if the Browns are winning, the Ravens or Steelers probably aren't.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well the good news is that if the Browns are winning, the Ravens or Steelers probably aren't.

It would be nice to see the Browns hang a loss on those other guys very once in awhile, but I am a traditionalist.  The Browns have so artfully crafted their tradition of failure over many years, I see no reason why they should let all that great work go to waste.  There are so few things one can count on in life.

Reply/Quote
Like it or not, free agency is essentially over now that Glenn's contract counts for almost $10 million in space. That leaves just enough for Eifert if we want him.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:00 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Gotta bring back andre regardless.  Other than Boling and smith who we got.  And other than Boling smith was our best offensive lineman  and maybe most valuable playing all over the line.  U can’t let smith walk.  And why not have two huge anchors on the lt as rt side in smith and Glenn.

I think we can let Andre take a hike now.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Negative

Retaining Marvin Lewis yet again
Filling/retaining all defensive position coaches with no say from Teryl Austin

Neutral

I felt we could've done better than Teryl Austin, but I don't hate the move
Bobby Hart didn't perform well in NY, but at the very least, he's decent insurance (with plenty of starting experience) for Jake Fisher

Positive

Firing PA and replacing him with Frank Pollack - doesn't get much better than that
Making the ultimatum to cut/restructure Pacman was very un-Bengal like and a positive step
Despite what people are saying, Chris Baker was a good signing
Trading for Cordy Glenn was a big boy move

Still need to see

We need a new Center and Right Guard (fingers crossed for the draft)
Cutting MJ to free up more money for upgrades would be nice, but I don't expect it
We need to bring back Eifert if his injuries are reflected in his price (7+ million would be a major gamble) - if not Eifert, we still need a TE

That's about it for the major moves.

Now that we are drafting at #21, I can see Gesicki coming into play! I'd be happy with that!
Reply/Quote