Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were Hurst and Hendrickson dirty?
There is some talk, completely unrelated to Hamlin, that that Hurst block and when Hendrickson rolled up on Allen were dirty. I know the plays they are talking about, but I don’t recall the replays. That’s not unusual as I am often participating in the game day thread. Hate to think either were dirty.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. Hurst - Absolutely not. He just steamrolled the db who did an astonishingly awful job of taking on the block. Hurst finished just like you’re taught to do.

2. Hendrickson - Maybe? In the slow mo replay, it kind of looks like he takes a bit of an extra roll to get up on Allen’s ankles. Real time replay just shows him playing with that high intensity we all love him for. I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Reply/Quote
The second angle of the Hendrickson incident looks like it's not intentional. We'll have to be patient and give Bills fans some time, but it's poor of them to be calling Bengals dirty, or "scumbags." I'm glad Bengals fans have shown so much class, and have the grace to ignore this bs.

https://twitter.com/JayRBP/status/1610377495802515456?s=20&t=B4ehTaL2phS3FOvL3QTmDQ
Reply/Quote
No and no.

Hurst was a normal block that he finished. If Hendrickson wanted to be dirty, he wouldn’t have lifted him legs up trying to avoid Allen. He also likely didn’t want to put wait on his BROKEN wrist.
Reply/Quote
Hurst blocking through his player like he’s supposed too, Hendrickson is questionable from 1 angle but not the other. As would said, should give him benefit of doubt. Hendrickson is not a dirty player.

Reply/Quote
Don't listen to that vocal minority.

People were calling the sack that knocked out Tua dirty, too. People want to be outraged so they'll manufacture it.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 06:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: There is some talk, completely unrelated to Hamlin, that that Hurst block and when Hendrickson rolled up on Allen were dirty. I know the plays they are talking about, but I don’t recall the replays. That’s not unusual as I am often participating in the game day thread. Hate to think either were dirty.

Let me understand this…..Higgins, Hurst and Hendrickson are all being called out for playing “dirty”. Ok, explain this, why when Higgins goes over the middle in the Pittsburgh game, gets speared by Micah Fitzgerald, and is hit so hard he gets a concussion but no one calls out the scumbag Steelers. I am tired of people calling out the Bengals for playing hard FUNDAMENTAL football while there are better examples of other players being cheap shot artist currently in the league and getting a free pass.

The Hamlin situation while unfortunate and one in a million chance of happening, did occur, it should by no means impact or taint the quality of fundamental football this team is playing. Calling these plays and players out for claims of dirty hits appears to be slanted against this team. This team is far from dirty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I get that people are upset over what happened with Hamlin and are looking for ways to direct their anger and sadness, but this doesn't seem particularly helpful. We're a day removed from the incident and already people are looking to point fingers and assigning blame. Bart Scott all but accused Tee Higgins of killing a man on the field yesterday. If Hamlin had gotten up fine, it would have been just another routine hit by Higgins and nobody would have bat an eye. Not saying that the league shouldn't come away from this wanting to improve player safety with respect to chest injuries, but I also don't think it should be lost that this was, by definition, a freak occurrence.

Neither Hurst nor Hendrickson have a reputation of being dirty players, and I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to any insinuation that these hits had malicious intent.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I've been hounding people on Twitter over the Hendrickson "roll". No one except us (and many of us don't even remember that Trey is playing through injury) knows he's playing hurt. That would be a unique way to try and hurt someone regardless. I'm over this stupid sh*t.

As far as Hurst goes, I don't really see the big deal here. He's finishing a block. You play till the whistle. Sometimes, they let players get away with a little activity post whistle as long as it isn't unrelated to the play at hand prior to the whistle.

If the game plays out (assuming Damar's injury never happened), these questions are never asked. People just looking for something to cope with.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:18 AM)Doin the Shuffle Wrote: The second angle of the Hendrickson incident looks like it's not intentional.  We'll have to be patient and give Bills fans some time, but it's poor of them to be calling Bengals dirty, or "scumbags."  I'm glad Bengals fans have shown so much class, and have the grace to ignore this bs.

https://twitter.com/JayRBP/status/1610377495802515456?s=20&t=B4ehTaL2phS3FOvL3QTmDQ

Scroll down on the comments and there is a Kay Adams video. She has one of the Bengals white helmets on her shelf, along with a Bills helmet, and a 12x15 black and white photo of Joe Sheisty on her shelf. The girl is mad crushing.....

As for blaming Higgins, then only person I have heard saying that is Bart Scott, and he just needs to see a therapist and show them on the doll where the Bengals hurt him.
Reply/Quote
Neither play was dirty. The Bills fan that posted the videos and accused them of being dirty is in an emotional and irrational state right now. You could tell by their follow up tweet:

That last sentence is not one spoken by someone who is in a rational head space to evaluate a play, the players' intentions or what may have happened that he isn't considering.

The block by Hurst is just a textbook block. He blows the guy up with his shoulder, turns him around, pancakes him and falls over him. There are fans saying he "drove his facemask into the back of his helmet" which is literal nonsense. He is falling forward after finishing his block. I think these Bills fans who are saying this are responding to the player's injury and assuming it must be due to foul play when it reality it was just a collision that hit the Bills player wrong (much like the Hamlin injury).

The fall by Hendrickson not only isn't dirty, but it's actually anti-dirty.

In this wide shot, you can see that the offensive tackle pushes Hendrickson to the ground and, as he is rolling, Hendrickson has the wherewithal to not only protect his wrist by not landing 100% of his weight on it (hence the roll), but he also had the sense to lift his legs up to avoid sweeping Allen's feet out from under him. If you watch that replay, imagine if he did not lift his legs up. Allen is tumbling over like a sack of potatoes and then the Bills players would be HOLLERING for a penalty. Instead, he lifts his legs and literally just grazes Allen's jersey with his feet. Hendrickson did everything in his power to protect himself and Allen in that play.
Reply/Quote
TH was clearly avoiding using his broken wrist to brace his fall.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:02 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Let me understand this…..Higgins, Hurst and Hendrickson are all being called out for playing “dirty”. Ok, explain this, why when Higgins goes over the middle in the Pittsburgh game, gets speared by Micah Fitzgerald, and is hit so hard he gets a concussion but no one calls out the scumbag Steelers. I am tired of people calling out the Bengals for playing hard FUNDAMENTAL football while there are better examples of other players being cheap shot artist currently in the league and getting a free pass.

The Hamlin situation while unfortunate and one in a million chance of happening, did occur, it should by no means impact or taint the quality of fundamental football this team is playing. Calling these plays and players out for claims of dirty hits appears to be slanted against this team. This team is far from dirty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who's that?

Is he one of the forgotten Founding Fathers?

[Image: signing-members-US-Constitution-painting...7-1787.jpg]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Fans accuse players of being dirty way too often. It’s almost never true, including many cases of Bengals/Steelers incidents. On rare occasion there is merit (Mac Jones or Gregg Williams’ bounties).

This time it’s so cut and dry that it irritates the hell out of me that there’s even a conversation. Hurst finished a block and was overpowered by a powerful force we know as “gravity”. Hendrickson quite literally lifted his legs to avoid making contact with Allen. It’s so obvious.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:18 AM)Doin the Shuffle Wrote: The second angle of the Hendrickson incident looks like it's not intentional.  We'll have to be patient and give Bills fans some time, but it's poor of them to be calling Bengals dirty, or "scumbags."  I'm glad Bengals fans have shown so much class, and have the grace to ignore this bs.

Thanks for the video, when it happened I thought it was dirty but didn't see the push down he recieved.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:31 AM)Rattler Wrote: TH was clearly avoiding using his broken wrist to brace his fall.  

^THIS

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Shrugs...

When we are allowed to talk about this we will talk proudly about how the Bengals were set to bully and dominate the Bills on Primetime in a big game, in the big AFC showdown leaving no one to fear in the path to the Superbowl...

The takeaway if the game concluded.... We have the Chiefs and Bills number.

Bills by quickly moving on from the unfortunate injury of Hamlin, to talk football are indirectly exposing they noticed this too...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No.

It looked like Hendrickson was trying to avoid Allen the way he tried to roll out of his way.

Hurst was just finishing a block like we see players do any play they have a chance to.

I'd also argue Digg's hit on Hilton was a lot more violent than Higgins shouldering Hamlin trying to run through him.

These are all football plays. The game was physical, but nobody was handing out headshots or anything like we've seen Tee absorb all too often.
Reply/Quote
Trey Hendrickson tried to bend the corner and had all his momentum going that direction and was going to thr ground with zero balance...the Tackle should have risen him to the ground but instead gave him a shove that changed direction into the QB. If you see the live replay this is a super fast play but the tweet in the OP actually slows it down and speeds it up giving a more define impression that Trey is trying to force himself into Allen's legs and its just not true.

Now the Hayden Hurst block is dirty as hell but its such a common dirty play we dont even register it as dirty. Just about every linemen in the NFL will flop on players if they get them to the ground. The Bills RT Spencer Brown and his former college teammate Trevor Penning were known for this entering the NFL and everyone loved it. It's a shame that the front of Hurst's helmet collides with the back of the defenders helmet but you see this exact thing several times a game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Thanks guys for clarifying
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote