Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were Hurst and Hendrickson dirty?
(01-04-2023, 06:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: There is some talk, completely unrelated to Hamlin, that that Hurst block and when Hendrickson rolled up on Allen were dirty. I know the plays they are talking about, but I don’t recall the replays. That’s not unusual as I am often participating in the game day thread.  Hate to think either were dirty.

I thought they both looked a little "extra" but not full impact dirty. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 04:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I went and checked the Buffalo Bills message boards and, gotta be honest, I lost a bit of respect for that fan base after seeing this thread:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/244923-bengals-playing-dirty

I saw the headline asking if Bengals players were playing dirty and I expected to see a few people complaining, but the majority of people understanding what happened in those two plays.

Unfortunately, it seems like the majority deemed the Hendrickson play dirty and at least half felt the Hurst block was as well.

Then I saw this comment:

This is the most absurd shit I've ever seen. He's trying to link Hurst trying to get extra yards and being hyped to "displays of physical dominance" and somehow linking that to dirty play...

I am very disappointed. I thought Bills fans were our bros.

Your response seems a little overly dramatic in my opinion.  Fans on a message board are a very small but vocal representation of the overall fan base.  They tend to also be overly dramatic, this board included but don't speak for the majority of the fan base.   I can say with confidence that had a play similar to the Hendrickson play happened to Burrow that a very large amount of people here would be calling it dirty.  Now the comment about Hurst hurdling was a little weird but the most absurd shit you have ever seen?  Come on man, you've been a member here since 2015.  There are posts just as absurd if not more so posted here regularly and in the case of the game day thread almost every minute.    Big Grin

Don't let a thread by a relatively small group of fans of another team affect your opinion of the entire fan base so much.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 100%.  I'm pretty sure I remember him standing up and pointing at Carson and laughing.

You might be joking, but that absolutely did not happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 07:18 AM)Doin the Shuffle Wrote: The second angle of the Hendrickson incident looks like it's not intentional.  We'll have to be patient and give Bills fans some time, but it's poor of them to be calling Bengals dirty, or "scumbags."  I'm glad Bengals fans have shown so much class, and have the grace to ignore this bs.

https://twitter.com/JayRBP/status/1610377495802515456?s=20&t=B4ehTaL2phS3FOvL3QTmDQ

Trey has not once shown he is a dirty player at least as bengal...so he gets benefit of doubt Vs someone like Burfict who had cultivated that rep
Reply/Quote
I'm going to be frank:

Calling the Hendrickson play "dirty" requires legal blindness. If you're trying to hurt someone you don't lift your legs to avoid hitting them. Period.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Watch the Boyd touchdown. Watch how the linebacker launches himself into Jamarr when the ball is in the endzone

They wont mention that though. Both teams were hyped up and playing physical

Oh yeah he got him good.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Neither play was dirty. The Bills fan that posted the videos and accused them of being dirty is in an emotional and irrational state right now. You could tell by their follow up tweet:

That last sentence is not one spoken by someone who is in a rational head space to evaluate a play, the players' intentions or what may have happened that he isn't considering.

The block by Hurst is just a textbook block. He blows the guy up with his shoulder, turns him around, pancakes him and falls over him. There are fans saying he "drove his facemask into the back of his helmet" which is literal nonsense. He is falling forward after finishing his block. I think these Bills fans who are saying this are responding to the player's injury and assuming it must be due to foul play when it reality it was just a collision that hit the Bills player wrong (much like the Hamlin injury).

The fall by Hendrickson not only isn't dirty, but it's actually anti-dirty.

In this wide shot, you can see that the offensive tackle pushes Hendrickson to the ground and, as he is rolling, Hendrickson has the wherewithal to not only protect his wrist by not landing 100% of his weight on it (hence the roll), but he also had the sense to lift his legs up to avoid sweeping Allen's feet out from under him. If you watch that replay, imagine if he did not lift his legs up. Allen is tumbling over like a sack of potatoes and then the Bills players would be HOLLERING for a penalty. Instead, he lifts his legs and literally just grazes Allen's jersey with his feet. Hendrickson did everything in his power to protect himself and Allen in that play.

That was something i hadn't considered. That roll looked kind of funky but if he's "launching" to roll without having to put any weight on it, i can see that. On the 2nd angle it looks like he pulls his legs up to try and avoid contact and he immediately gets up and goes over to the Oline guy that blocked him for a few words. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, when I saw that thread, I decided to post the difference between the edited and real-time clips, which IMO, clearly shows there was no intent to be dirty on Trey's part.

I saw that. And then I saw them tell you to get out of here with that bullshit.

I get what everyone is saying to me. Small segment of the fan base, emotions running high, small sample of plays to pick and obsess over etc. But these comments just felt like they were trying to villainize the Bengals and I just don't feel it was warranted. You can be hurt without hurting others (in response to the phrase "hurt people hurt people."). It is possible.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:16 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: You might be joking, but that absolutely did not happen.

Yeah right after he kicked him.  TheFan will back me up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:12 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Neither play was dirty. The Bills fan that posted the videos and accused them of being dirty is in an emotional and irrational state right now. You could tell by their follow up tweet:

That last sentence is not one spoken by someone who is in a rational head space to evaluate a play, the players' intentions or what may have happened that he isn't considering.

The block by Hurst is just a textbook block. He blows the guy up with his shoulder, turns him around, pancakes him and falls over him. There are fans saying he "drove his facemask into the back of his helmet" which is literal nonsense. He is falling forward after finishing his block. I think these Bills fans who are saying this are responding to the player's injury and assuming it must be due to foul play when it reality it was just a collision that hit the Bills player wrong (much like the Hamlin injury).

The fall by Hendrickson not only isn't dirty, but it's actually anti-dirty.

In this wide shot, you can see that the offensive tackle pushes Hendrickson to the ground and, as he is rolling, Hendrickson has the wherewithal to not only protect his wrist by not landing 100% of his weight on it (hence the roll), but he also had the sense to lift his legs up to avoid sweeping Allen's feet out from under him. If you watch that replay, imagine if he did not lift his legs up. Allen is tumbling over like a sack of potatoes and then the Bills players would be HOLLERING for a penalty. Instead, he lifts his legs and literally just grazes Allen's jersey with his feet. Hendrickson did everything in his power to protect himself and Allen in that play.

This i don't necessarily agree with. I thought from the beginning he could have kept his head up but instead seems to drive down on the defender. 

I'm not saying it was "dirty" in an sense of the word. Just a bit extra and not surprising knowing how intense Hurst gets in the games. 

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was something i hadn't considered. That roll looked kind of funky but if he's "launching" to roll without having to put any weight on it, i can see that. On the 2nd angle it looks like he pulls his legs up to try and avoid contact and he immediately gets up and goes over to the Oline guy that blocked him for a few words. 

to me, what Hendrickson did was this...

instead of falling down onto his side, he managed to maneuver his body so he landed more on his back, and into a roll

sort of like what professionals do when they jump off something high, and then roll forward  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Watch the Boyd touchdown. Watch how the linebacker launches himself into Jamarr when the ball is in the endzone

They wont mention that though. Both teams were hyped up and playing physical

Yeah, that's dirty as hell and unnecessary. Chase wasn't even part of the play. 

EDIT: That was Milano. Dirty dirty boy.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, that's dirty as hell and unnecessary. Chase wasn't even part of the play. 

EDIT: That was Milano. Dirty dirty boy.

If someone has an account over there maybe they can bring this up, and we can all agree that we may perceive things differently and go on with our bromance.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was something i hadn't considered. That roll looked kind of funky but if he's "launching" to roll without having to put any weight on it, i can see that. On the 2nd angle it looks like he pulls his legs up to try and avoid contact and he immediately gets up and goes over to the Oline guy that blocked him for a few words. 

That's something that maybe if the Bills fans knew they'd be more understanding. I think what they're interpreting as "squaring up Allen" before rolling is actually Hendrickson beginning to fall on his broken wrist and thinking "oh shit, no. Gotta re-route this momentum" and then rolling.

(01-04-2023, 05:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This i don't necessarily agree with. I thought from the beginning he could have kept his head up but instead seems to drive down on the defender. 

I'm not saying it was "dirty" in an sense of the word. Just a bit extra and not surprising knowing how intense Hurst gets in the games. 

But a facemask glancing off the back of someone's helmet wouldn't do anything. You even see in the replay, the facemask contacting the Bills' player's helmet makes Hurst's helmet move up and out of contact and then Hurst continues to the ground without any further contact to the player's head. If he were dirty, he could have lowered he helmet and absolutely pummeled the back of that guy's helmet, but obviously did not.

In both plays, the Bills fans seem to think the Bengals players wanted to hurt the players but, for whatever reason, in the most ineffective way possible. Like, if Hendrickson were playing dirty, he could have tripped Allen to the ground with ease just by not lifting his legs up. Why, then, would he lift his legs up? So that he could graze Allen's jersey with his feet? 

The only way you could consider either of these plays dirty is if you are seeing them as a 100% biased and irrational observer or if you think these two players are the most ineffectively dirty players in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If someone has an account over there maybe they can bring this up, and we can all agree that we may perceive things differently and go on with our bromance.

I'll check later if i'm interested enough to do that. Registering on Chiefsplanet and sparring with those nuts took a lot out of me. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
They were complaining about the Hendrickson play in their game day thread especially once they showed Josh getting his ankle wrapped. But so would we if that exact play had happened to Joe. We know Trey doesn't play dirty and he was trying to avoid landing on his bad wrist but they don't. They also believed there was holding on each and everyone of of our 8 offensive plays. We were calling out the number of times Trey was held.

It all comes down to a matter of perspective in a close competitive game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'll check later if i'm interested enough to do that. Registering on Chiefsplanet and sparring with those nuts took a lot out of me. Big Grin

That place.  Man.  The Bills fans may disagree with you, but they couldn't approach chiefsplanet level if they tried.

Reply/Quote