Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were about to get one more veteran Olineman (Speculation)
(05-28-2021, 07:10 PM)felis tigris Wrote: Recognizing this to be excessively pedantic, I believe there should be a comma after "Nazi," "made up" should be hyphenated, and "contentless" is, in fact, recognized by both Merriam-Webster and Oxford Dictionaries as a legitimate word.

Wrong about the comma but correct about hyphenating "made-up" and "contentless" being a word.

But the point is I never address grammar on a message board except when pointing out errors made by people attacking others' grammar.  So I basically got hoisted on my own petard.
Reply/Quote
Quote:I could of done better [Image: m1501.gif]

But the kicker is you didn't. You said "I could OF done better" instead of, "I could have done better." and to make matters worse you omitted punctuation.

Dammit! I love being a grammar field marshal! ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 07:10 PM)felis tigris Wrote: Recognizing this to be excessively pedantic, I believe there should be a comma after "Nazi," "made up" should be hyphenated, and "contentless" is, in fact, recognized by both Merriam-Webster and Oxford Dictionaries as a legitimate word.

But did he mean contentious....
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But did he mean contentious....

I'm pretty sure it was content-less spelled contentless. Personally I would have used , without content or better yet just said nothing, but this has become quite fun.. I may have been a complete dolt in mathematics, but by golly I could ace a college English term paper by bullshitting my way through it.   Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm pretty sure it was content-less spelled contentless. Personally I would have used , without content or better yet just said nothing, but this has become quite fun.. I may have been a complete dolt in mathematics, but by golly I could ace a college English term paper by bullshitting my way through it.   Smirk

Yeah it was that Algebra that always gave me probs. Mellow
Reply/Quote