Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westerman
(09-12-2016, 02:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Boling is great pulling OG, I would think keeping as many positions constant is best, instead of two new positions just center.  

I hear ya, Doc.  But, also remember that some of the best Centers of all time, could also pull effectively from the Center position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:22 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Dumb strawman, Zeitler does not normally have a bad day.

And thats the point here. Bodine has shown this kind of play before. Maybe not to the level of yesterday, but anyone with eyes could pick him out as the weak link on the O line. He either needs to really settle in, we start using boling, or andy is going to get hurt.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:37 PM)zygrot24 Wrote:  He either needs to really settle in, we start using boling, or andy is going to get hurt.

He has been our starting center for over two seasons and he has not gotten Andy hurt.

You guys are way overreacting.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has been our starting center for over two seasons and he has not gotten Andy hurt.

Sure he has. He didn't tackle the Steeler
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has been our starting center for over two seasons and he has not gotten Andy hurt.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/8/19/12552658/russell-bodine-is-awful-pff-agrees

The writing is on the wall, literally.  No one is overreacting.  Why do you continue to defend a decidedly awful player?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 02:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am not really excited about working through creating chemistry between Andy and a new center in season. We know what Bodine's issues are and have been able to win in spite of them. I'd rather deal with the known issue then a new set of unknowns. Let's see how he does against a D line that may not be the best in football. He won't be great but against a lesser opponent he may be average.

I see only one viable option. Keep a FB/TE in the backfield to take care of Bodine's "Look Out" blocks. Of course that severely limits the formations and play calling. However, it would help insure Andy survives the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 02:47 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't think Westernan is a bad player, but I have serious reservations he is ready to start at Center

This.  He will be essentially red-shirted this season and have a year of strength-training and nutrition to get him bigger and stronger.  He may get a few snaps toward the end of the season, but at Guard, not Center.  They will likely be grooming him to fill the spot left by Zeitler.  Think of him as this year's Ogbuehi. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:03 PM)Derrick Wrote: I see only one viable option. Keep a FB/TE in the backfield to take care of Bodine's "Look Out" blocks. Of course that severely limits the formations and play calling. However, it would help insure Andy survives the season.

I HATE empty backfield formations...almost every coach will send an extra defender and even if the pass gets off in time, Dalton often takes a shot.  Not only that, but the DBs don't sit back on the routes, they are up on the LOS and try to jump what they know is a quick pattern.

If they insist on these formations, why not at least have one of the receivers go in motion, a la jet sweep...it gives the defense a split second to determine if the ball was handed off before teeing off on Dalton and if AD does hand it off/toss it forward, it can often turn in to a big play if no one stays with the man in motion. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder, do you guys think if we replace Bodine at C that he'd be able to make a switch to G with better results?
Reply/Quote
I don't expect any change to be made at center this year. It's Bodine or TJ Johnson...neither is good. The Bengals won't sacrifice multiple OL positions from failing by switching a current OL starter over to C. The only hope is Westerman does get snaps there, but anyone expecting him to be good right now is being overly optimistic. At best, he could become a decent center by end of year.

Better expectation is to hope for a high draft pick or FA brought in during the offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 10:03 PM)Derrick Wrote: I see only one viable option. Keep a FB/TE in the backfield to take care of Bodine's "Look Out" blocks. Of course that severely limits the formations and play calling. However, it would help insure Andy survives the season.

Yeah, need to put Thor back there from now on much more often to take care of the guy that Bodine lets through.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 08:39 AM)Crowe Wrote: I wonder, do you guys think if we replace Bodine at C that he'd be able to make a switch to G with better results?

He may fair better engaging 260 pound 3-4 linebackers, rather than the 310 pound defensive tackles who seem to just push him back into Daltons face.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I imagine the OL would have looked even worse had Sheldon Richardson not been suspended for the game. Could have very well made the difference in winning vs losing that game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm for working cwest at sometime during game to get him game ready.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 04:09 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: I'm for working cwest at sometime during game to get him game ready.

Assuming that line-calls are the toughest thing for a new center to master, I wonder if the coaches could perfect a method whereby Westerman or TJohnson could practice making calls using film with a coach to mentor them. A Center In Training(ACIT). Maybe one of you smart guys could develop the concept and market it....just sayin'. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote