Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westworld
(12-09-2016, 03:59 AM)MrRager Wrote: Oh that's awesome. The first game was incredible and I was a little worried about Joel and Ellie being the main focus in the second one since the first ended perfectly. This gives me more hope!

Maybe I wasn't watching very closely, but I felt pretty dumb after the first 7 episodes I caught up when I read some analysis and realized I missed something rather, errrr, major.  I think people almost need to know that going in because it's much more confusing to make sense of.

The key host reveal didn't surprise me, but can't say I had really considered it.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 08:49 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Maybe I wasn't watching very closely, but I felt pretty dumb after the first 7 episodes I caught up when I read some analysis and realized I missed something rather, errrr, major.  I think people almost need to know that going in because it's much more confusing to make sense of.

The key host reveal didn't surprise me, but can't say I had really considered it.

I think that's why I like the show so much. I like thought provoking stuff. Especially when 99% of TV today is just "shut your brain off and watch". I can see how someone would think it's confusing thought. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 08:49 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Maybe I wasn't watching very closely, but I felt pretty dumb after the first 7 episodes I caught up when I read some analysis and realized I missed something rather, errrr, major.  I think people almost need to know that going in because it's much more confusing to make sense of.

Yeah, the whole Bernard issue zoomed right by me.  Thank God for spoon-fed recaps courtesy of the interwebs.

Just watched the finale this morning.  Work was crazy this week and I wanted a chance to sit down and savor it without any distractions.  Mrs. Llama had watched it earlier but was able to keep it to herself.  She even watched it again with me.  Some time before season two debuts I want to go through season one again and see what I missed the first time around.

Speaking of missing, going to miss Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins, two old pros that brought their seasoned acting chops to those roles.  Here's hoping for a few flashbacks featuring them in seasons to come.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:28 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Speaking of missing, going to miss Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins, two old pros that brought their seasoned acting chops to those roles.  Here's hoping for a few flashbacks featuring them in seasons to come.

I assume it's probably out there in the web somewhere that he was only on for 1 season, but it wasn't clear to me if Ed Harris is done at the end.  I think we are led to assume what happens, but there's that whole speech about "free will" or whatever.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 03:46 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I think that's why I like the show so much. I like thought provoking stuff. Especially when 99% of TV today is just "shut your brain off and watch". I can see how someone would think it's confusing thought. 

Yeah, I kind of "shut my brain off and watched".  I don't get the big "secret" or why they were so subtle about it.

I actually think that part was a little poor as far as writing/directing - they don't age and they are in these "loops", so there's really no reason to know it unless you are looking for it....it's especially confusing the way they otherwise do numerous flashbacks/memories/dreams.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:28 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, the whole Bernard issue zoomed right by me.  Thank God for spoon-fed recaps courtesy of the interwebs.

Just watched the finale this morning.  Work was crazy this week and I wanted a chance to sit down and savor it without any distractions.  Mrs. Llama had watched it earlier but was able to keep it to herself.  She even watched it again with me.  Some time before season two debuts I want to go through season one again and see what I missed the first time around.

Speaking of missing, going to miss Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins, two old pros that brought their seasoned acting chops to those roles.  Here's hoping for a few flashbacks featuring them in seasons to come.

I wouldn't be surprised if both are back next season. Ed only got shot in the arm and there's some speculation that Hopkins could have made a host of himself (the secret host he was building). 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 04:34 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Hopkins could have made a host of himself (the secret host he was building). 

I'm dumb.  Never even considered that.  Should have been the most obvious theory in tv history.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2016, 04:28 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, the whole Bernard issue zoomed right by me.  Thank God for spoon-fed recaps courtesy of the interwebs.

I think we'll see both of them again.

I think Hopkins was a host of himself he built that was killed.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 05:59 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I think we'll see both of them again.

I think Hopkins was a host of himself he built that was killed.

in the end, probably everyone was built by Host Bernard Tongue

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 05:49 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm dumb.  Never even considered that.  Should have been the most obvious theory in tv history.

Yeah, that's the one bonus for me missing things like that: it keeps the surprises coming.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 06:11 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, that's the one bonus for me missing things like that: it keeps the surprises coming.

They'd have to be careful if Hopkins was a host there.

That's very tricky territory - we can't really tell who is and isn't a host, and with one exception they hinted or clued us in very little.  As I think about it, that could very well ruin the show because you don't know if somebody really just died, and what they just said/did/thought was genuine or programmed code.

It worked well with Bernard, but there was no trickery or bait-and-switch.  I think Hopkins character has to be gone because if that was a host then you're telling the audience there are no rules and they shouldn't expect to know what's real.  Existential as that may be, it really doesn't make for a compelling theme.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2016, 06:35 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: They'd have to be careful if Hopkins was a host there.

That's very tricky territory - we can't really tell who is and isn't a host, and with one exception they hinted or clued us in very little.  As I think about it, that could very well ruin the show because you don't know if somebody really just died, and what they just said/did/thought was genuine or programmed code.

It worked well with Bernard, but there was no trickery or bait-and-switch.  I think Hopkins character has to be gone because if that was a host then you're telling the audience there are no rules and they shouldn't expect to know what's real.  Existential as that may be, it really doesn't make for a compelling theme.

This. It is the equivalent of "they died in a dream". If they just try killing people see reaction then say, "never mind it was a host of them!" the show will go downhill quickly. It is a bit of a cop out and one I hope they don't go to.
Reply/Quote
I love this show.

Made the intro piano thing my ringer
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2016, 06:16 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I have enjoyed it as well.  Mrs. Llama's taste tends to run toward The Walking Dead and shows where people typically are dismembered and ooze things, so I was surprised when she expressed interest in Westworld.  We've watched both eps and have enjoyed them.  I loved the movie as a kid, it was perfect early '70s Sci-Fi, so i was concerned they'd sully the reputation of the movie with some lame knock-off, but that's definitely not the case.  

Evan Rachael Wood is amazing in her role, as is the black actor (who's name escapes me) playing the programmer.  Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins are turning in their consistently good work.  Really intrigued to see where it's going to go.

I will have to watch it then, thanks Llama.

BTW, i am related to Yul Brenner on my mother's side. Down the line of course but that is a cool dude to be related to.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 09:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will have to watch it then, thanks Llama.

BTW, i am related to Yul Brenner on my mother's side. Down the line of course but that is a cool dude to be related to.

The Gunslinger himself, eh?  That is pretty cool.  He was the Terminator before there was a Terminator.

[Image: 600px-Westworld012.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'm a giant Judge Judy fan. If you are too, you will at this moment realize that her bailiff, Byrd, is to her what Bernard is to Ford. Byrd is a host.

Also, I'm quite certain my dog is a host and never strays from his loop. Carry on.
Reply/Quote
Havent read thru the comments, but about to start episode 4. Talk about a solid cast, whoa. ALso Gotta love the HBO Go app.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just watched it all in last 3 days. Definitely a top notch show. Gotta admit I was getting a bit confused with the 'timelines' by episode 9, but it all came together with the William story.

And Ed Harris will be back for sure, otherwise they would have shown him killed. And I think Hopkins will be too, as that was a host of himself he used. Not to mention no one will vote him off now soo yeah lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 03:19 AM)Millhouse Wrote: And Ed Harris will be back for sure, otherwise they would have shown him killed. And I think Hopkins will be too, as that was a host of himself he used. Not to mention no one will vote him off now soo yeah lol.

Yeah, but they need to be careful.  If they start repeatedly doing that 'Hey, it wasn't the real person killed, it was just a robot" stuff, that's gonna get old real quick.  You'll never invest in anything because, well, it's probably just a robot and we'll learn that in the next episode, so no biggee.  I hope Hopkins' charcter stays dead and the story continues without him.  
Reply/Quote
Evan Rachel Wood. What. A. Woman.
Reply/Quote