Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Anarumo is looking for this offseason
(03-03-2021, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: New Hobson post on bengals.com reveals what Anarumo is looking for in his hybrid defense this offseason.
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-defense-seeks-same-traits-as-scheme-evolves

When talking about pass rushers...

When talking about CB...

So expect DL and CB to be the focus in FA and the draft, not so much LB, based on what Anarumo is saying.

Considering that Jackson is the top rated CB in the free agent market this year, according to the ratings on NFL.com, does that mean they'll re-sign Jackson? Will they seek to sign a lessor corner instead and pretend it's an improvement? Will they look for a 4th round corner to be a starter? Is Alexander, a decent slot corner, in the mix anywhere?

Frankly, Waynes has never been as good as Jackson so if they intend for Waynes to replace Jackson I fail to see how this is suppose to improve anything.

Additionally, the scheme is still evolving? It's been two years and it's largely been two years of failure unless the team was playing a weak or injured offense, in which case it showed some ability. But in no case has it shut down a good offense. In fact, they've been nothing but road kill against decent offenses. Even Houston, a team that is jettisoning its better players, laid 31 points on this defense. That's embarrassing! Baltimore runs all over them. Pittsburgh, before their injuries, could not be stopped by this defense. Cleveland has two 30+ point performances. Dalton spanked them with 30 points.

Things are really getting to the point where whatever this coaching staff says, I'll believe opposite simply because I'll likely be correct in the end. While I'm sure they want to improve at the corner spot and along the DL, the actual moves they make will likely be highly questionable.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I’m just hoping we get past this phase of scrubs like Amani Bledsoe.

Watching games late in the season was much like playing a game of guess who. Idk where they got half these dudes but finding them on the field was almost harder than knowing who they were.

Side note, I am okay with keeping Covington.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 11:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Considering that Jackson is the top rated CB in the free agent market this year, according to the ratings on NFL.com, does that mean they'll re-sign Jackson? Will they seek to sign a lessor corner instead and pretend it's an improvement? Will they look for a 4th round corner to be a starter? Is Alexander, a decent slot corner, in the mix anywhere?

Frankly, Waynes has never been as good as Jackson so if they intend for Waynes to replace Jackson I fail to see how this is suppose to improve anything.

Additionally, the scheme is still evolving? It's been two years and it's largely been two years of failure unless the team was playing a weak or injured offense, in which case it showed some ability. But in no case has it shut down a good offense. In fact, they've been nothing but road kill against decent offenses. Even Houston, a team that is jettisoning its better players, laid 31 points on this defense. That's embarrassing! Baltimore runs all over them. Pittsburgh, before their injuries, could not be stopped by this defense. Cleveland has two 30+ point performances. Dalton spanked them with 30 points.

Things are really getting to the point where whatever this coaching staff says, I'll believe opposite simply because I'll likely be correct in the end. While I'm sure they want to improve at the corner spot and along the DL, the actual moves they make will likely be highly questionable.

Indeed. While beefing up the pass rushing is always a good thing this scheme is defective. We see this in how easily this team is run on, their total inability to defend the pass to RBs and TEs and of course no pressure. I think we may actually have decent LBs on the roster now but the scheme is so goofy there is no way to know. 
Reply/Quote
Our LBs are meh.

Logan Wilson looks promising. ADG is a liability and that guy from Purdue got exploited in the worst ways last year when he got his chance. I think we could still use help there as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 11:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Our LBs are meh.

Logan Wilson looks promising. ADG is a liability and that guy from Purdue got exploited in the worst ways last year when he got his chance. I think we could still use help there as well.

I agree and disagree.

The linebackers are indeed meh . . . but that's a MAJOR step-up from where the were just a year ago. They've been the absolute worst LB corp in the NFL for years.

Wilson and Pratt will get the bulk of the snaps since they rarely have three on the field at the same time and Pratt's coverage of RBs and TEs has improved over his rookie season which is why I still have faith in ADG. Unless a very talented LB slips into the 4th or 5th, I'd just focus on OL, CB or WR/TE for this draft.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What Anarumo is looking for next offseason:  A new job.

God, I haven't laughed so hard all day. Thank you. LMAO for real.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
He probably already wrote a book during the off season, "how to keep your job when you don't deserve it" ready to go on sale on Amazon.
Reply/Quote
I think if Lou's defense is not decimated by injuries this year like it was last year, he is going to surprise a lot of people.
Reply/Quote
Look at the passing numbers across the entire league last year. EVERY TEAM is looking for pass rushers and cover CBs.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need 3 to 5 new starters on both sides to be a contender and its not going to happen next year or the following year.

A rational management team would focus all their resources on protecting their franchise QB and look to improve defense in future years.

I saw a story where someone found that Bengals were in the bottom 5 for draft choices for last 4 to 5 years. Wow, that is a shocker!

Do you think that maybe that has some connection with their pathetic record since the playoff disaster against the Steelers?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:31 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I saw a story where someone found that Bengals were in the bottom 5 for draft choices for last 4 to 5 years. Wow, that is a shocker!

Do you think that maybe that has some connection with their pathetic record since the playoff disaster against the Steelers?

combo of losing players and the draft picks designed to replace them not working out  which has lead to free agency spending to fix draft mistakes instead of plugging holes
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:31 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The Bengals need 3 to 5 new starters on both sides to be a contender and its not going to happen next year or the following year.

A rational management team would focus all their resources on protecting their franchise QB and look to improve defense in future years.

I saw a story where someone found that Bengals were in the bottom 5 for draft choices for last 4 to 5 years. Wow, that is a shocker!

Specifically:
LG
RG
RT
TE

UT
CB if WJ3 leaves
DE? (Depending on what you think of Hubbard)
LB? (Depending on if you think any of the young LBs blossom properly)

I think they can get mostly there this offseason if they can get 3 clear upgrades in FA and 3 upgrades in the draft. They should easily be able to accomplish that next offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 10:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: You can't put Hunt in that mix as comical as that sounds. He's still in the league, has made a career out of his opportunity (while getting playtime, not just riding the bench).

It was odd to see him be one of the best dlinemen on the team by years end. Who would have thought it all these years later.

Certainly not bad for a 2nd round pick.

True, Margus has made a good comeback from his early years when he played End and had no bend whatsoever.

Needs to play DT though. Wouldn't mind bringing him back, wasn't he just signed off the street for the year?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:31 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The Bengals need 3 to 5 new starters on both sides to be a contender and its not going to happen next year or the following year.

When you say contender are you talking about playoffs or championship level?

I don't think we are in that terrible of shape on either side of the ball that says multiple year reload.
Offensively we need two guards and a WR and Defensively we will need a  CB + another pass rusher.  I think we can do that in an off-season but I have my doubts that they will do it. 
To me depth is a major concern though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Specifically:
LG
RG
RT
TE

UT
CB if WJ3 leaves
DE? (Depending on what you think of Hubbard)
LB? (Depending on if you think any of the young LBs blossom properly)

I think they can get mostly there this offseason if they can get 3 clear upgrades in FA and 3 upgrades in the draft. They should easily be able to accomplish that next offseason.

outside of boyd and higgins what do we really have at WR?  not much
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 03:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: outside of boyd and higgins what do we really have at WR?  not much

The post was about starters.
One could argue a WR3 is not always on the field, and is therefore not necessarily considered a starter, at least not over TE or RB.
But yes, they need a WR3 as well unless you have confidence in Auden Tate.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 12:31 PM)bengals67 Wrote: A rational management team would focus all their resources on protecting their franchise QB and look to improve defense in future years.

Are we going to give Lou a pass then if we focus on Offense this offseason/draft and fix the D in 2022?

That's my question when I hear this. Fans will soon forget come October we decided to not improve the defense until 2022 as we call for Lou's head and job.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Are we going to give Lou a pass then if we focus on Offense this offseason/draft and fix the D in 2022?

That's my question  when I hear this. Fans will soon forget come October we decided to not improve the defense until 2022 as we call for Lou's head and job.

Even if no new defensive players from outside FA and just a couple players drafted, there should be an expectation the defense will improve.
The Bengals did not spend all that money on Waynes and Reader for them to not make a big impact.
If this team is not at least in the Top 20 in Points Allowed and Yards Allowed, they did not do a good enough job. Reader and Waynes alone are expected to help get them into that range. If not, they were not worth the investment.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Even if no new defensive players from outside FA and just a couple players drafted, there should be an expectation the defense will improve.
The Bengals did not spend all that money on Waynes and Reader for them to not make a big impact.
If this team is not at least in the Top 20 in Points Allowed and Yards Allowed, they did not do a good enough job. Reader and Waynes alone are expected to help get them into that range. If not, they were not worth the investment.

Those guys getting hurt I think helped Lou stick around one more year. You are right, no excuses for another year of sucking 
after that Free Agency. Just like there should be no excuses this year for the Offense to improve especially if they spend well 
and get some good OL players for Burrow. Taylor needs to go if he continues to hold the Offense back with his poor play calling.
Reply/Quote
A defense that doesn't suck?
Reply/Quote