Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What Are You Looking For in Friday Preseason Game One
Besides NO INJURIES, which everybody always says.

I will be looking at what Ravens think will be Bengals new weakness, DB's. I think Ravens are wrong, and Bengals DB's will be just fine. However I want to see the DB's in the first quarter. 4th quarter of preseason one is often guys that won't make the team anyway. I want to see the 1st quarter DB's in action on Friday Night. Hopefully they don't get lit up and burned as Ravens think after Bengals lost so many DB's. Bengals have been drafting DB heavy and the 2022 top DB picks should look OK, they are not rookies.

But besides no injuries, what are you looking for Friday Night.

I live where I get a Columbus station that has the game on, not a later replay. I will be in front of TV watching some Bengals early tomorrow night. I'm also interested in who starts for Packers with Aaron Rodgers on NY Jets now. Could be good to know for late round or free agency in Fantasy Football Leagues, because Packers will have somebody throwing the ball. Packers always seem to have a QB ready to replace the one leaving.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 11:03 PM)kevin Wrote: Besides NO INJURIES, which everybody always says.  

I will be looking at what Ravens think will be Bengals new weakness, DB's.   I think Ravens are wrong, and Bengals DB's will be just fine. However I want to see the DB's in the first quarter.  4th quarter of preseason one is often guys that won't make the team anyway.  I want to see the 1st quarter DB's in action on Friday Night.  Hopefully they don't get lit up and burned as Ravens think after Bengals lost so many DB's.  Bengals have been drafting DB heavy and the 2022 top DB picks should look OK, they are not rookies.

But besides no injuries, what are you looking for Friday Night.

I live where I get a Columbus station that has the game on, not a later replay.  I will be in front of TV watching some Bengals early tomorrow night.  I'm also interested in who starts for Packers with Aaron Rodgers on NY Jets now.  Could be good to know for late round or free agency in Fantasy Football Leagues, because Packers will have somebody throwing the ball. Packers always seem to have a QB ready to replace the one leaving.

I'd like to see the starting OL and secondary for a drive or two. But Taylor already said a good amount of starters won't play this Friday. But we should still get good looks at the DJs at corner and Battle at S. It'll be interesting to see who plays at all on the Dline I'd like to see Murphy and Sample maybe since he looks to have taken a step forward.

On offense I'm curious about the rookie WRs and Chase Brown. Also curious about the offensive line depth hopefully we can protect. Gosh that just made me remember last year when the backups looked like trash on the OL some of whom played in the super bowl.

Tanner Hudson is a guy I'm curious about at TE. I saw he's been making some noise in camp and assumed he was a UDFA but then looked him up to see he's been in the league 4 yrs. But TE is a position it can take guys several years to start to produce at least in fantasy talk so maybe he could be coming into his own.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 11:25 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'd like to see the starting OL and secondary for a drive or two. But Taylor already said a good amount of starters won't play this Friday. But we should still get good looks at the DJs at corner and Battle at S. It'll be interesting to see who plays at all on the Dline I'd like to see Murphy and Sample maybe since he looks to have taken a step forward.

On offense I'm curious about the rookie WRs and Chase Brown. Also curious about the offensive line depth hopefully we can protect. Gosh that just made me remember last year when the backups looked like trash on the OL some of whom played in the super bowl.

Tanner Hudson is a guy I'm curious about at TE. I saw he's been making some noise in camp and assumed he was a UDFA but then looked him up to see he's been in the league 4 yrs. But TE is a position it can take guys several years to start to produce at least in fantasy talk so maybe he could be coming into his own.

DB's Daxton Hill, Taylor Britt, DJ Turner, Jordan Battle all need some preseason game one reps because they are all top draft picks last 2 years, and Bengals need them to replace the DB's lost in free agency 5 months ago.  So I hope Coach Taylor doesn't bench everybody.  I can see not playing Burrow even if he was healthy, or Chase, Higgins, Mixon, Boyd.  However these DB's Bengals drafted need Rep Time in Games or else they will be Toast in regular season games as Ravens are trash talking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Sorry, you lost me with all the Ravens stuff?

As for the game, I'll listen to Dan and Dave.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 12:22 AM)kevin Wrote: DB's Daxton Hill, Taylor Britt, DJ Turner, Jordan Battle all need some preseason game one reps because they are all top draft picks last 2 years, and Bengals need them to replace the DB's lost in free agency 5 months ago.  So I hope Coach Taylor doesn't bench everybody.  I can see not playing Burrow even if he was healthy, or Chase, Higgins, Mixon, Boyd.  However these DB's Bengals drafted need Rep Time In Games or else they will be Toast in regular season games as Ravens are trash talking.

Yeah I agree. Taylor didn't want to commit to the plan for the other preseason games and I'm not sure what he meant by a good amount of starters not playing this friday. Hopefully we get to see them a little tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 12:22 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Sorry, you lost me with all the Ravens stuff?

As for the game, I'll listen to Dan and Dave.

The Baltimore Ravens were very happy to see the Bengals lose so many DB's in free agency 5 months ago.  So much so that The Baltimore Ravens players said in the media that it is the end of The Bengals Defense being good.  So The Ravens players already have The Bengals heading back to last place.  However I think Ravens are wrong, and The Bengals D Coordinator has DB's ready to replace the ones lost.  However I would like to see these top pick DB's on the field getting it done. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 12:28 AM)kevin Wrote: The Baltimore Ravens were very happy to see the Bengals lose so many DB's in free agency 5 months ago.  So much so that The Baltimore Ravens players said in the media that it is the end of The Bengals Defense being good.  So The Ravens players already have The Bengals heading back to last place.  However I think Ravens are wrong, and The Bengals D Coordinator has DB's ready to replace the ones lost.  However I would like to see these top pick DB's on the field getting it done. 

Ahhh gotcha now!
Reply/Quote
Mostly will be watching the rookies in these early games
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 12:28 AM)kevin Wrote: The Baltimore Ravens were very happy to see the Bengals lose so many DB's in free agency 5 months ago.  So much so that The Baltimore Ravens players said in the media that it is the end of The Bengals Defense being good.  So The Ravens players already have The Bengals heading back to last place.  However I think Ravens are wrong, and The Bengals D Coordinator has DB's ready to replace the ones lost.  However I would like to see these top pick DB's on the field getting it done. 

I didn't see that written by the Ravens players.  But if true it's kind of ironic in that the Ravens had a horrible passing team last year which has the least amount of impact on the safety positions we lost.  This year they do have a good receiving group, and of course TE, but they still have side-arm-slinging Lamar throwing the ball.  Not exactly his strong suit.  

We'll see.  Bates and Bell were a great tandem as they were so experienced.  IMO Bell was not that great in coverage but good against the run and a great teammate.  He made plays at times but it seemed he was always behind his guy.  I like the speed of our secondary.  May take them a bit to gel but I think the ceiling for them is much higher than Bates and Bell.
Reply/Quote
Clean execution and limited Penalties.
Reply/Quote
What's with the "so many" comments? We lost Bates and Bell. 2 is "so many?" (and Apple, but that's not a huge loss) We replaced Bell with another NFL veteran, and Bates with a 2nd year 1st rounder. And, we increased in speed. We're getting Chido back. I think the Ravens and a whole lot of people are going to be shocked to find out our DB's are better this year than before. I'm excited to watch these guys play.
Reply/Quote
I'll be looking at backup Olineman, specifically center and our undrafted free agent guard. Hoping to spot any steals.

I'll be looking at our young secondary. Mainly our draft picks and Anderson which they did trade up in the 4th for, but has had a pretty quiet camp. He showed well last preseason and it would be nice if there was something there given the unknown and youth at safety.

I'll be looking for RB 3 with an eye on our two undrafted free agents. One in which they paid extra for to sign as an undrafted free agent (Sanders - or something like that. I can't think of the name off the top of my head).

I'll also be looking at backup NT, which is a concern still given Tupou's age.

Outside of those, I love watching the back end of the wideout room - those wideouts outside of our top 5.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I will be looking at the shiny new toys:

Myles Murphy, Jordan Battle, and D.J. Turner on D

Iosivas and Chase Brown on O ...Jones as well if he's a go
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 08:17 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I didn't see that written by the Ravens players.  But if true it's kind of ironic in that the Ravens had a horrible passing team last year which has the least amount of impact on the safety positions we lost.  This year they do have a good receiving group, and of course TE, but they still have side-arm-slinging Lamar throwing the ball.  Not exactly his strong suit.  

We'll see.  Bates and Bell were a great tandem as they were so experienced.  IMO Bell was not that great in coverage but good against the run and a great teammate.  He made plays at times but it seemed he was always behind his guy.  I like the speed of our secondary.  May take them a bit to gel but I think the ceiling for them is much higher than Bates and Bell.
Oh, that was a big story back in March.   Ravens excited over Bengals losing so many DB's in free agency.  The NFL was talking about the DB's Bengals lost, and Raven jumped in saying it opens the door for ravens to take over the AFC North......but as I say, I think Ravens and much of National News Media are wrong.  Bengals have a very good D Coordinator and Bengals have been stocking up on young DB's in recent drafts.  The cupboard is not bare. Bengals front office and coaches are in good shape.  So I think the surprise for Ravens and NFL is that Bengals had a Super Bowl Defense and will continue to have a Super Bowl Defense.  Much like Mark Twain once said, " The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. "  

So I think Bengals Defense will be just fine and NFL and Ravens over reacted to the DB's Bengals lost in free agency.  However what I think or what Ravens think doesn't matter, and you never say the Bengals D looks good on paper.  The game ain't played on paper.  So I do want t see the new backfield of DB's in Action on the Field. 

Some Bengals who left wanted to be highest paid in NFL, such as Bates and Bell.  Bengals need the money to keep Burrow, Chase, Higgins and others long term. Bengals did resign key D Line and Linebackers.  Bengals drafted 4 DB's early the last 2 drafts, and you would think those top pick DB's will pan out.  I think the Bengals D Coordinator is ready to have another Super Bowl type Defense again this year.  Bengals D Coordinator is one of best Bengals ever had, so I trust in him and Bengals D. 

At the beginning of Summer it is roll out the barrels. Tonight near the end of Summer as Bengals play first preseason game, it is roll out the footballs. I'm Ready For Some Bengals.

GO BENGALS....WHO DEY

ADD ON : Besides the 4 DB's taken high in last 2 drafts, Bengals paid about 12 Mil to bring in Nick Scott from LA Rams. Not the larger amount Bates OR Bell went out and got, but a good chunk of money for a veteran Safety.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: What's with the "so many" comments? We lost Bates and Bell. 2 is "so many?" (and Apple, but that's not a huge loss) We replaced Bell with another NFL veteran, and Bates with a 2nd year 1st rounder. And, we increased in speed. We're getting Chido back. I think the Ravens and a whole lot of people are going to be shocked to find out our DB's are better this year than before. I'm excited to watch these guys play.

Well I would say because whether it's people on the outside or fans people realized we had something very special here. Bates Bell and Apple were all apart of that. You can throw all the talent you want at something and not get the same outcome. Maybe we will be in the ballpark or possibly better but I fear it will take a year or two if we are able to get back to that. If we have to start winning shootouts against the Mahommes of the world it may not go our direction.
Reply/Quote
The rookies and 2nd year players. In particular Chase Brown, Jordan Battle, Andrei Iosavis.
Reply/Quote
No injuries
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 09:57 AM)kevin Wrote: At the beginning of Summer it is roll out the barrels. Tonight near the end of Summer as Bengals play first preseason game, it is roll out the footballs. I'm Ready For Some Bengals.

GO BENGALS....WHO DEY

Roll out the barrels. I laughed thanks. Loved that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 10:03 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I would say because whether it's people on the outside or fans people realized we had something very special here. Bates Bell and Apple were all apart of that. You can throw all the talent you want at something and not get the same outcome. Maybe we will be in the ballpark or possibly better but I fear it will take a year or two if we are able to get back to that. If we have to start winning shootouts against the Mahommes of the world it may not go our direction.

In fairness any team losing 2 veteran safeties would be worrisome. It’s an unknown but there’s a lot of reasons to be hopeful on our end.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Chase Brown and the backup WRs.

The defense in general.
-Housh
Reply/Quote