Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(11-17-2021, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I lost any respect I had for these awards shows last year when Last of Us 2 took game of the year over ACNH, FF7 remake and Hades.

I just don't get what criteria they use. ACNH was not only the best selling game, it was the most culturally relevant. It was the game of the pandemic. Then you had a masterful remake of an all-time game with FF7 and one of the best indies ever in Hades.

I feel like Lou2 skated by on the hype of it's predecessor.

As far as this year's nominees though, I don't have a dog in the fight. I didn't touch any of those games. Any you recommend?

i feel the same way i only watch to see all the new game reveals as there will be world premiers and such...

As Far as the GOTY nominees I just downloaded pyschonaughts 2 so ill give that a try...  But i dont think ive played any of them lol 

I will try deathloop when it comes to xbox next year.  

I hear good things about deaths door but havent tried that either lol  
Reply/Quote
So I re-upped my Final Fantasy XIV account a couple days ago. I’m stoked for the expansion coming in December, and figured I’d get started on catching up to current content. Having quit a year and a half ago, I am a bit disappointed I haven’t had that much to actually GET CAUGHT UP ON. A shit ton of storyline and cutscenes and so far only a couple “new” (to me) dungeons and raids. I feel like there should have been more. I enjoyed the story for Shadowbringers, and I’m enjoying how they are transitioning the story back to where it was pre-Shadowbringers. But I just feel like there should be MORE. Maybe its just me and having unrealistic expectations, I dunno.
Through any mmorpg I’ve played, when an expansion is on the horizon, I like to pick a new class to “main” for that expansion. I started FFXIV 2.0 as a Black Mage, turned Scholar heals for Heavensward, Astrologian heals for Stormblood, then I tanked with all three tank classes for Shadowbringers. Gunbreaker being my favorite of the three. Now I’m gearing up Machinist (gun ranged dps) ahead of Endwalker and its been a lot of fun!
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I lost any respect I had for these awards shows last year when Last of Us 2 took game of the year over ACNH, FF7 remake and Hades.

I just don't get what criteria they use. ACNH was not only the best selling game, it was the most culturally relevant. It was the game of the pandemic. Then you had a masterful remake of an all-time game with FF7 and one of the best indies ever in Hades.

I feel like Lou2 skated by on the hype of it's predecessor.

As far as this year's nominees though, I don't have a dog in the fight. I didn't touch any of those games. Any you recommend?

I know I'm late to the party, but I just "beat" Hades, and that game is one of the best games I've played in the past 5-10 years easily. There was no reason for Lou2 to win goty. The 1st one was much better imo. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 06:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i feel the same way i only watch to see all the new game reveals as there will be world premiers and such...

As Far as the GOTY nominees I just downloaded pyschonaughts 2 so ill give that a try...  But i dont think ive played any of them lol 

I will try deathloop when it comes to xbox next year.  

I hear good things about deaths door but havent tried that either lol  

I've considered phychonauts a few times. Definitely an interesting concept for a game.

(11-17-2021, 09:38 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: I know I'm late to the party, but I just "beat" Hades, and that game is one of the best games I've played in the past 5-10 years easily. There was no reason for Lou2 to win goty. The 1st one was much better imo. 

I haven't played Hades yet, but my old co-worker used to go on and on about it. The more I hear about it, the more I think I'll need to watch some gameplay and at least see if I'll like it.

I was big into the 1st LoU...but when I heard they (SPOILER ALERT)...

...killed off Joel pretty much immediately, my interest level went to zero. I did always feel like the story of that game was a bit overrated too, though. It's really just a Walking Dead clone, with it's whole premise and the brutality.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 10:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've considered phychonauts a few times. Definitely an interesting concept for a game.

I haven't played Hades yet, but my old co-worker used to go on and on about it. The more I hear about it, the more I think I'll need to watch some gameplay and at least see if I'll like it.

I was big into the 1st LoU...but when I heard they (SPOILER ALERT)...

...killed off Joel pretty much immediately, my interest level went to zero. I did always feel like the story of that game was a bit overrated too, though. It's really just a Walking Dead clone, with it's whole premise and the brutality.

It's very fun, if you're a fan of the genre. Rougelikes aren't for everyone since they can be repetitive. But Hades works the story to fit in with that and it doesn't feel like a repetetive grind. At least to me, and assuming by the praise it's gotten I'd say for most people it's not a draining chore to play.

But I'm a guy who can grind near endlessly sometimes. I got a few full primal ancient gear sets in diablo 3 so I may not be the best to speak on repetitiveness in games lol. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 11:11 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: It's very fun, if you're a fan of the genre. Rougelikes aren't for everyone since they can be repetitive. But Hades works the story to fit in with that and it doesn't feel like a repetetive grind. At least to me, and assuming by the praise it's gotten I'd say for most people it's not a draining chore to play.

But I'm a guy who can grind near endlessly sometimes. I got a few full primal ancient gear sets in diablo 3 so I may not be the best to speak on repetitiveness in games lol. 

i know about grinding(100% every gears game Cept the 1st and the lastest lol)...  Some are more brutal than others but if you having fun thats what matters     lol    But im gonna give hades a shot as it has a ton of positive reviews.
Reply/Quote
Oh some other Xbox News... (sorry im mostly xbox lol but ill put sony and nintendo news if i see it )

11/17 There was an update for consoles... Cloud servers launched and are available for Gamepass Ultimate users.
(cloud gaming allows users to stream games to their phones,tablets, and consoles... So last gen gamers can stream next gen only games if they want and the game is available on the cloud.)

Today 11/18 the GOTY free update for Flight sim is suppose to drop. (they plan to have this available via cloud gaming next year sometime)
https://www.polygon.com/22734408/microsoft-flight-simulator-game-of-the-year-release-date?scrlybrkr=57a0b013

^^Includes the Reno Races
Reply/Quote
How does Hades compare to Rogue Legacy
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 07:16 PM)basballguy Wrote: How does Hades compare to Rogue Legacy

Never played Rouge Legacy so apologies if a comparison is all you want.

But I will stick my neck out and then some for Hades. Get it. Especially if there's a deal, which I'm sure it is. Kind of like Hollow Knight and Binding of Isaac it's an indie game that plays like a AAA game and is in many ways better than their AAA counterparts in their respective genres.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 12:52 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Never played Rouge Legacy so apologies if a comparison is all you want.

But I will stick my neck out and then some for Hades. Get it. Especially if there's a deal, which I'm sure it is. Kind of like Hollow Knight and Binding of Isaac it's an indie game that plays like a AAA game and is in many ways better than their AAA counterparts in their respective genres.

Ok i went ahead and bought this.  I'm a big roguelike guy so I do like this and am happy to continue playing it.  Thanks.

Since you don't know Rogue Legacy, I recommend checking it out (if you're big on roguelikes)....RL 1 is on consoles but RL 2 is only on steam.  It has the same amount of depth as Hades seems to have but is more of a "Metroidvania" type approach versus hack n slash.  You won't be disappointed.
Reply/Quote
My nephew saw the orginal Half Life on my computer and laughed at the graphics when I told him to give it a go. He thought it was less funny after dieing dozens of times and taking forever to beat it lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Soo Psychonauts 2 is pretty good... with some interesting themes.

Halo multiplayer is really fun and they just made progressions much faster... (thats the 2nd update during this early release beta)

Thats taken most my time recently. (when not running around with cows in diablo 2)
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 12:52 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Never played Rouge Legacy so apologies if a comparison is all you want.

I am very not pleased with how short a playthrough is for this game.  It's a good game but it's like 1/5th the size of normal roguelikes....
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 09:20 PM)basballguy Wrote: I am very not pleased with how short a playthrough is for this game.  It's a good game but it's like 1/5th the size of normal roguelikes....

Define playthrough?

The time to 100% the game can approach the 100 hour mark. I think this is the first I've heard someone say that there is a shortage of things to do in the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:36 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Define playthrough?

The time to 100% the game can approach the 100 hour mark. I think this is the first I've heard someone say that there is a shortage of things to do in the game.

What i mean is the end of the maze before you start over with increased difficulty.  There's definitely a lot of depth to increasing difficulty to keep a challenge....the maze is just small....my opinion only of course.  I still appreciate the recommendation to be clear....perhaps i just had the wrong expectations.  
Reply/Quote
So id soft dropped an update for the quake remaster yesterday and added horde mode.

and similar to the most recent releases of the classic doom 1 and 2 they are adding free addons for you to download and play.
Reply/Quote
Well now that I’m off 6 days a week and my sick dog has passed I might drown my sorrows in finishing Guardians of the Galaxy (really good), deathloop, and plat Hades
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 02:44 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well now that I’m off 6 days a week and my sick dog has passed I might drown my sorrows in finishing Guardians of the Galaxy (really good), deathloop, and plat Hades

Sorry about you dog... Its always painful when they go.   
Reply/Quote
Halo Tomorrow Game Awards On Thursday (mostly excited to see what's coming over the awards)

OH And serious sam 4 shadow dropped last night on xbox. (on game pass as well)
Reply/Quote
Final Fantasy XIV expansion Endwalker official release day is here. I preordered so I’ve had early access for a week. Story is good, new job classes are cool (Reaper and Sage), lv cap has been increased to 90. New character models and customization options. If you don’t play, I recommend you do. And if you do, come join me on Malboro server!
Reply/Quote