Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(12-16-2021, 10:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So are you guys waiting in queue to play XIV?

I have only heard amazing things about XIV. If I had a computer capable of running it and time to play I'd be all over it. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just ordered a Series S. Should get it Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 11:09 AM)Stewy Wrote: The FF perfect game for me would be a modern engine + FF12's combat/license board + FF VI's story.

Knight Character = Basch his twin brother who betrayed Dalmasca was Gabranth

Problems with the Story:
Vann = I love his character, but he is a very poor protag.  Basch would have been a much better central character
Lady Ashe = Her obsession with revenge really damages her character.  She is supposed to be the great rebel leader, but her attitude is that of a spoiled child willing to exact revenge at all and any costs.
Balthier = Best groupable character in the game, and would have been a better central character than Vann.  His story and character development are not used very well in the overall story.
Basch = Disgraced noble knight again would have been a better central character
Lord Vayne = what a craptacular and uninteresting bad guy
Going out to grind levels for hours is more interesting than moving the story along and that's a problem.
Larsa = The best part of the story (well ahead of Balthier).  Every experience with him is good and done well, yet after the emporer is murdered, he's almost forgotten.

Side note:  Combat in FF games has sucked since FF12.  They had the perfect system and keep changing it.  I can't stand FF13/FF15.

I liked Balthier and Basch. Most of the characters were very forgettable. My favorite memories with that game have nothing to do with storyline. Getting the Deathbringer super early and being OP. Getting the Zodiac Spear early and grinding for the Tournesol (lost my save, never again).

Agree on the combat. I never played anything after 12, but I watched my Wife play 13 a lot, and used to bash the combat system on a regular basis. Wasn't there a main character you had to keep alive or your entire party died?

(12-16-2021, 01:36 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Couldn't agree more. And yet despite the Disney-esque characters and story the combat, atmosphere and exploring all make it my favorite.

If Shake REALLY wants a hot take. FFXIII > VII. Don't @ me Ninja

Now THAT is a hot take that would make Skip Bayless blush.

Can't say I agree with that one. I think 7 is overrated to death, but 13 doesn't even exist to me. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 01:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I liked Balthier and Basch. Most of the characters were very forgettable. My favorite memories with that game have nothing to do with storyline. Getting the Deathbringer super early and being OP. Getting the Zodiac Spear early and grinding for the Tournesol (lost my save, never again).

Agree on the combat. I never played anything after 12, but I watched my Wife play 13 a lot, and used to bash the combat system on a regular basis. Wasn't there a main character you had to keep alive or your entire party died?

Now THAT is a hot take that would make Skip Bayless blush.

Can't say I agree with that one. I think 7 is overrated to death, but 13 doesn't even exist to me. LOL

With Zodiak Age you can get a better sword even earlier, but they took out the path to getting the ZS early.

13 is a flaming POS
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 01:37 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I have only heard amazing things about XIV. If I had a computer capable of running it and time to play I'd be all over it. 

still rumors of an xbox version some day.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:52 AM)Earendil Wrote: Just ordered a Series S. Should get it Sunday.

Congrats the Series S is a great system....    Space might be an issue..  if you dont already have an external HDD you might want to invest  especially if you play any of the larger(install size) games.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2021, 10:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So are you guys waiting in queue to play XIV?

The queue times are minimal on Malboro in the mornings but jump up to 3k+ starting around 5pm. I hate it, but it is what it is at this point. My main gripe is: you’ve been raking in subscription money and MogHouse purchases since 2013. Maybe use some of that “boats n hoes” money and buy a couple new servers per data center for new players / transfers to ease up on this log in congestion! With that being said, once you get in, the game is worth it.

All this debate on which FF is best. Let me throw my hat in the ring and say XIV has THE BEST story and probably THE BEST music. Given, its 4 expansions ongoing, but its REALLY good. And no mention of XI?! The OG online FF? Its job/subjob system was incredible and had some really cool storylines as well.

We need a new updated FF Tactics. Asap!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:07 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: The queue times are minimal on Malboro in the mornings but jump up to 3k+ starting around 5pm. I hate it, but it is what it is at this point. My main gripe is: you’ve been raking in subscription money and MogHouse purchases since 2013. Maybe use some of that “boats n hoes” money and buy a couple new servers per data center for new players / transfers to ease up on this log in congestion! With that being said, once you get in, the game is worth it.

All this debate on which FF is best. Let me throw my hat in the ring and say XIV has THE BEST story and probably THE BEST music. Given, its 4 expansions ongoing, but its REALLY good. And no mention of XI?! The OG online FF? Its job/subjob system was incredible and had some really cool storylines as well.

We need a new updated FF Tactics. Asap!

Diablo 2 Resurrected had some similar issues at first not an issue anymore though.

They pulled FF14 off the marketplaces for now
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 12:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Diablo 2 Resurrected had some similar issues at first not an issue anymore though.

They pulled FF14 off the marketplaces for now

All could have been avoided had they just added a couple new servers per data center. Now they are losing money not being able to sell their game. I feel bad for the fans of this game who can’t play. The ones who preordered and work long days. Come home and can’t even play because it takes an hour (or more) to log in. It’ll die down eventually and sales will resume but just a little bit of foresight could have prevented this or mitigated it a bit better, in my opinion. I mean they HAD to know WoW is dead /dying right? That WoW refugees would be coming over in droves. Along with the RMT/Goldsellers. Your game was already popular BEFORE this, plan for it! They stress tested these servers somewhat recently and evidently were satisfied with what they had.

I’m not trying to dog Yoshi P and the fine folks at Square Enix. The fact that he wrote a letter to fans / subscribers detailing issues and what they are doing to rectify them goes above and beyond anything any other MMORPG dev team would do. Most would just release their expansion then go on a nice long vacation or move onto another project with an “oh well” attitude. So kudos to Yoshi P and his team.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 09:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Congrats the Series S is a great system....    Space might be an issue..  if you dont already have an external HDD you might want to invest  especially if you play any of the larger(install size) games.

Can confirm. I've had to do a lot of picking and choosing as far as which games I want to keep or delete. Doesn't help that I keep Flight Simulator on there, though. It's like 3 AAA games combined.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2021, 09:51 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Congrats the Series S is a great system....    Space might be an issue..  if you dont already have an external HDD you might want to invest  especially if you play any of the larger(install size) games.

(12-17-2021, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can confirm. I've had to do a lot of picking and choosing as far as which games I want to keep or delete. Doesn't help that I keep Flight Simulator on there, though. It's like 3 AAA games combined.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to "cleaning out the fridge", but I generally only play one or two games at a time. I might spring for an expansion pack if it comes to it though.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 01:07 AM)Earendil Wrote: Yeah, I'm not looking forward to "cleaning out the fridge", but I generally only play one or two games at a time. I might spring for an expansion pack if it comes to it though.

If you main 2-3 games and don't mind deleting as you go, it isn't that big an issue.

Personally I don't mind.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2021, 01:07 AM)Earendil Wrote: Yeah, I'm not looking forward to "cleaning out the fridge", but I generally only play one or two games at a time. I might spring for an expansion pack if it comes to it though.

you only need the internal space for.   Series X/S  enhanced games... Older gen games can go on an external HDD and play from there.    (i did pick up the 1 TB expansion slot for mine though)...  It will all just depend on which games you want to play and keep installed.

there isnt a lot of games that take up over 100 gigs Most are 20-60 ish but the # is growing. (i believe stalker 2 will be 180 gigs when it drops.)

COD games are all pretty big if you play those
Reply/Quote
Picked up the Mafia trilogy for 30$ seemed a good deal..
Recently Finished Psychonauts 2 and i recommended it to anyone who played the first game or is just a fan of 3d platformers. (or tim Schafer fan in general)

Gonna try and finish Halo Campaign this 4 day weekend.
And the Grind for Better Loot continues in Diablo 2 lol...

Have a fun Christmas full of gaming.
Reply/Quote
Watching gameplay of Halo Infinite almost has me buying a Séries S/X or a PC. Anyone play it?
Reply/Quote
Madden 22 Mobile on my phone.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Just picked up a switch after playing one a friends and realizing it’s more my speed than the PS4 I rarely boot up. Any essential accessories or anything I need to look at in addition? Still don’t fully understand how the controller(s?) work. Would just like to play a few games with buddies online, get the old lady to enjoy some casual 2p stuff occasionally and be able to play it on the couch when she’s watching her trash.

Anything you think I should just get right away or game recommendations? Thanks all and merry Xmas.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2021, 05:42 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Just picked up a switch after playing one a friends and realizing it’s more my speed than the PS4 I rarely boot up. Any essential accessories or anything I need to look at in addition? Still don’t fully understand how the controller(s?) work. Would just like to play a few games with buddies online, get the old lady to enjoy some casual 2p stuff occasionally and be able to play it on the couch when she’s watching her trash.

Anything you think I should just get right away or game recommendations? Thanks all and merry Xmas.

Invest in a Pro controller. They’re much like the Xbox controller in feel and function. The joycon controllers are notorious for getting “drift” which will drive you nuts!

Game-wise, you can never go wrong with Zelda Breath of the Wild, it is a must have. The new Metroid was a lot of fun. The newest Monster Hunter is a good multiplayer title to play solo or with friends. The newest Mario was a lot of fun, can couch co-op up to 4 players for that or play online with friends who also have it. Either of the Ori games are fantastic single player experiences. Diablo 2 remake is available, as is Diablo 3 complete. If you are into basketball games, the 2K franchise is available but I’m not sure how crisply it plays. First person shooters I tend to steer clear of but Borderlands Handsome Collection is available and actually plays well single player or online.

Sadly there is no voice chat for most games so you (and any friends) may need to download an app on your phone called Discord and use that for party chats. Its easy to set up, Im sure you’ll figure it out.

Anyways Happy Holidays and grats on your Switch! Hope my post helps!
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2021, 11:02 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Invest in a Pro controller. They’re much like the Xbox controller in feel and function. The joycon controllers are notorious for getting “drift” which will drive you nuts!

Game-wise, you can never go wrong with Zelda Breath of the Wild, it is a must have. The new Metroid was a lot of fun. The newest Monster Hunter is a good multiplayer title to play solo or with friends. The newest Mario was a lot of fun, can couch co-op up to 4 players for that or play online with friends who also have it. Either of the Ori games are fantastic single player experiences. Diablo 2 remake is available, as is Diablo 3 complete. If you are into basketball games, the 2K franchise is available but I’m not sure how crisply it plays. First person shooters I tend to steer clear of but Borderlands Handsome Collection is available and actually plays well single player or online.

Sadly there is no voice chat for most games so you (and any friends) may need to download an app on your phone called Discord and use that for party chats. Its easy to set up, Im sure you’ll figure it out.

Anyways Happy Holidays and grats on your Switch! Hope my post helps!

This is good data mate. Greatly appreciated.

Do I need an sd card upgrade?
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2021, 11:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: This is good data mate. Greatly appreciated.

Do I need an sd card upgrade?

Absolutely. Even if you got the new OLED model, it's still only 64gb.

I upgraded to a 128gb. It'll cost ya somewhere around $25. Might be able to find something cheaper on Amazon. Don't buy the Nintendo branded SD cards. They're double the price just for having the logo on there.

If you plan on being all digital, I'd even consider going 256gb, but if you're a mixture like me, 128 will be plenty.

________

Also, if you play a lot of online games, I'd invest in a LAN adapter. That's another $25 or so. If you have an OLED, you won't need it though.
Reply/Quote