Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(12-09-2021, 06:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This is a top 10 game for me, personally...and I'm one of the 4 people on the planet who prefer Cross over Trigger. 

Amazing story, music, and umpteen recruitable characters. I almost named my daughter Harle because of this game.

You just made my day. ThumbsUp

Revealed on the Nintendo Direct yesterday. Chrono Cross Remaster (plus Radical Dreamers) on the Switch 4/7. 

Can't imagine it won't be on other platforms. While I prefer CT, any Chrono content is good content.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:44 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Revealed on the Nintendo Direct yesterday. Chrono Cross Remaster (plus Radical Dreamers) on the Switch 4/7. 

Can't imagine it won't be on other platforms. While I prefer CT, any Chrono content is good content.

confirmed for other platforms same day i believe... Xbox 1 and ps4.    (no next gen versions)

Also LOTR/Hobbit video games rights are going up for sale...   which means we might get another game
Reply/Quote
So I recently got the X Box/PC game pass because i've been notoriously guilty of buying games, playing them for 45 minutes, and then never touching them again. So this seems like a better approach just in case i decide to never touch a game again.

I started playing Edge of Eternity and this game seems like it was developed specifically for idiots like me. Psuedo open world, turn based combat, and party management (is that what you call it?). I was never a fan of JRPGs and I think even though this qualifies as one, i don't actually feel like i'm playing one. This game also feels like it took mechanics from BOTW, Final Fantasy, and Fallout/TES...i think I like it.

To the point of the post:

My baseline for comparison is Wizardry 8 which i think is 2003. What single player games are similar to this or Wizardry (or even better)?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: confirmed for other platforms same day i believe... Xbox 1 and ps4.    (no next gen versions)

Also LOTR/Hobbit video games rights are going up for sale...   which means we might get another game

Would make sense given the series coming out this year. Isn't Amazon investing in gaming?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Would make sense given the series coming out this year. Isn't Amazon investing in gaming?

Amazon is making a series... I think WB owned the rights to the games (as they own the rights in general)

Amazon would be a smart bet to bid on those IPs.... But they are still a fledgling gaming company (they would probly then go buy some Developers to make said games)

Side note Cyberpunk is having a live stream today.. It appears the next Gen Patch is ready.
Reply/Quote
Confirmed Cyberpunk X/S and PS5 versions should now be available. (this upgrade should be free if you owned the game already as that is what they promised years ago)

if not the game is also on sale at least on xbox.

*Cannot say if this fixes all the issues... But it is at least a next gen game now like it was suppose to be shortly after it launched*
Reply/Quote
Rumor: Golden Eye 007 remaster will be announced soon... Will post a video when it happens
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:39 AM)basballguy Wrote: To the point of the post:  

My baseline for comparison is Wizardry 8 which i think is 2003.  What single player games are similar to this or Wizardry (or even better)?

There are very few if any true open world JRPGs.  Most of the open world games have RT combat, which I do not like.

There are plenty that have large zones with turn based or pseudo turn based combat.  The best gameplay combat system out there is from FF12.  3D zones + turn based combat that feels like action combat (when you enter combat you do not go to a different screen, but all the rolls and initiative are turn based) with squad tactics (gambits) that actually work.  Too bad the story blows.

Dragon Quest XI is similar in that it has large zones with turn based combat, but it does switch UIs during combat, though generally it feels like you're staying on the field.  The squad tactics are weak.

Dragon Age: Origins - turn based DnD style combat, but you stay on the field (similar to FF12) and has squad tactics second only to FF12.  The zones are not huge (thus you miss the open world "feel" and it is a Bioware game so the story is excellent but heavy.  You have to talk to people to know what's going on.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:20 PM)Stewy Wrote: There are very few if any true open world JRPGs.  Most of the open world games have RT combat, which I do not like.

There are plenty that have large zones with turn based or pseudo turn based combat.  The best gameplay combat system out there is from FF12.  3D zones + turn based combat that feels like action combat (when you enter combat you do not go to a different screen, but all the rolls and initiative are turn based) with squad tactics (gambits) that actually work.  Too bad the story blows.

Dragon Quest XI is similar in that it has large zones with turn based combat, but it does switch UIs during combat, though generally it feels like you're staying on the field.  The squad tactics are weak.

Dragon Age: Origins - turn based DnD style combat, but you stay on the field (similar to FF12) and has squad tactics second only to FF12.  The zones are not huge (thus you miss the open world "feel" and it is a Bioware game so the story is excellent but heavy.  You have to talk to people to know what's going on.

Question as i dont play many Jrpgs...  Is games like Fromsofts Darks Souls considered a JRPG or a Western RPG by a Japanese studio?  Or are those just there own thing now lol.     As they are RPGs and from japan but dont play like any of the "Traditional" JRPGs which i never got into
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Question as i dont play many Jrpgs...  Is games like Fromsofts Darks Souls considered a JRPG or a Western RPG by a Japanese studio?  Or are those just there own thing now lol.     As they are RPGs and from japan but dont play like any of the "Traditional" JRPGs which i never got into

Well the souls games are barely rpgs to begin with IMO....

A jrpg has two camps....those who think they represent a specific style of rpg vs. those who say if it's from Japan then it is a jrpg.  Apparently theres lots of angry discussion about it, thus im leaving the discussion now.  lol
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Question as i dont play many Jrpgs...  Is games like Fromsofts Darks Souls considered a JRPG or a Western RPG by a Japanese studio?  Or are those just there own thing now lol.     As they are RPGs and from japan but dont play like any of the "Traditional" JRPGs which i never got into

Nowadays I would say the JRPG tag really just is "RPG made in Japan". Maybe 30 years ago there was an argument to have it be a subgenre of RPGs, but now I feel like "action/adventure" "tactical" and "turn-based" all offer more precision as to the style of game.

So yes, the Souls series is undoubtedly a JRPG, but it's much more specific to call it an "action RPG". Given the Souls series influence, you could make an argument that there is a "souls-like" subgenre of RPGs even.

Quote:
(02-17-2022, 11:05 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well the souls games are barely rpgs to begin with IMO....

A jrpg has two camps....those who think they represent a specific style of rpg vs. those who say if it's from Japan then it is a jrpg.  Apparently theres lots of angry discussion about it, thus im leaving the discussion now.  lol

Edit to add.

I think it stems from the fact that the scope of games has become so vast that it is almost impossible to NOT include RPG elements in most games and that just blurs the line even further with franchises like Assassin's Creed that are almost impossible to pigeonhole as a single genre of game. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 10:38 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Nowadays I would say the JRPG tag really just is "RPG made in Japan". Maybe 30 years ago there was an argument to have it be a subgenre of RPGs, but now I feel like "action/adventure" "tactical" and "turn-based" all offer more precision as to the style of game.

So yes, the Souls series is undoubtedly a JRPG, but it's much more specific to call it an "action RPG". Given the Souls series influence, you could make an argument that there is a "souls-like" subgenre of RPGs even.

I would say Character Leveling mechanics is a huge important part of RPGs... for me.    Fallout Darksouls have more rpg like leveling systems than skyrim does. (skyim leveling is as basic as fable 1) 

Cause there are Western RPGs and JRPGs but developers from japan could make a western style RPG then what the hell do we call it lol

The new Assassins Creeds are definately open world RPGs... The old style Assassin Creeds where Action Adventure games
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 11:15 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would say Character Leveling mechanics is a huge important part of RPGs... for me.    Fallout Darksouls have more rpg like leveling systems than skyrim does. (skyim leveling is as basic as fable 1) 

Cause there are Western RPGs and JRPGs but developers from japan could make a western style RPG then what the hell do we call it lol

The new Assassins Creeds are definately open world RPGs...   The old style Assassin Creeds where Action Adventure games

That's why I'm in the camp that doesn't really differentiate JRPG and WRPG based on anything other than the developer. Though like Stewy said, there are those on both sides that will die on their respective hills. 

30 or even 40 years ago you could make the argument that western RPGs were more the D&D/pen and paper influenced, single character real time RPGs and JRPGs were the multiple party member, turn based save the world story driven games. But now? The RPG umbrella is so vast that the Western vs Japanese moniker doesn't really define gameplay too much anymore.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 12:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: That's why I'm in the camp that doesn't really differentiate JRPG and WRPG based on anything other than the developer. Though like Stewy said, there are those on both sides that will die on their respective hills. 

30 or even 40 years ago you could make the argument that western RPGs were more the D&D/pen and paper influenced, single character real time RPGs and JRPGs were the multiple party member, turn based save the world story driven games. But now? The RPG umbrella is so vast that the Western vs Japanese moniker doesn't really define gameplay too much anymore.

see even then you have WRPGS like Baldurs gate icewind dale fallout 1 and 2 that were all isometric party based games.

and then there is the arguement that any game you play the roll of someone so all games are roleplaying lol

but its good to know it wasnt just me having issues with the naming conventions people use
Reply/Quote
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Reply/Quote
New Elden Ring Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJabIfdxpQ

2/25/22 cant come soon enough lol
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: New Elden Ring Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJabIfdxpQ

2/25/22 cant come soon enough lol

I see someone got tired on waiting for TES6 to come out and ended up making their own.  

Looks like something I'd play as long as it isn't terrible.  
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 03:30 PM)basballguy Wrote: I see someone got tired on waiting for TES6 to come out and ended up making their own.  

Looks like something I'd play as long as it isn't terrible.  

Basically will be Open World Dark Souls...

But suppose to be a little more accepting to new players.. (but expect it to be closer to dark souls than skyrim lol)

Well good news TES6 should go into full development by the end of the year...  So at most 2025 or 26  if they aren't starting from scratch

We will Also Get Avowed (maybe 2023) Open world based in the universe of Pillars of Eternity.  

And Fable  (maybe late 23-early 24  if i had to guess)
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 03:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Basically will be Open World Dark Souls...

But suppose to be a little more accepting to new players.. (but expect it to be closer to dark souls than skyrim lol)

Well good news TES6 should go into full development by the end of the year...  So at most 2025 or 26  if they aren't starting from scratch

We will Also Get Avowed (maybe 2023) Open world based in the universe of Pillars of Eternity.  

And Fable  (maybe late 23-early 24  if i had to guess)

I am the guy (and i know there are a lot like me) that got killed by pigs in Dark Souls and never touched the game again.  Hopefully it is forgiving lol.  

Starfield will be a good holdover for me until TES6.  I like the idea of it in space as I bet it would be so much easier to just tack on another galaxy then to release an entirely new game every 6-10 years.  I also like space sims (like Stellaris) so it'll be fun.  

I've never heard of Get Avowed or playing Pillars of Eternity (but the latter I know my brother loves)  Fable was an exciting game but I only ever played the first one and about all i remember was chain lightning was OP.  
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 03:51 PM)basballguy Wrote: I am the guy (and i know there are a lot like me) that got killed by pigs in Dark Souls and never touched the game again.  Hopefully it is forgiving lol.  

Starfield will be a good holdover for me until TES6.  I like the idea of it in space as I bet it would be so much easier to just tack on another galaxy then to release an entirely new game every 6-10 years.  I also like space sims (like Stellaris) so it'll be fun.  

I've never heard of Get Avowed or playing Pillars of Eternity (but the latter I know my brother loves)  Fable was an exciting game but I only ever played the first one and about all i remember was chain lightning was OP.  

Lol the Pigs in dark souls 2 were a pain especially since your starting weapon usually couldnt swing in a way to hit them lol...

Very excited about Starfield too.   im sure ill be playing that for a long long time.

Avowed - is gonna be like Obsidians version of skyrim 
Fable is gonna be a reboot so no idea how closely it will be to the originals

Whenever Xbox's next Showcase is since e3 is cancelled we should get a lot of news. Like Release dates (for the 2022 games at least) lol
Reply/Quote