Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(05-10-2023, 09:35 AM)Stewy Wrote: Considering most hardcore fans I know wanted a return to more of the DAO, D&D style combat with very deep tactics (think gambits from FF12) and that is NOT what was shown recently, the HC fans are very concerned about gameplay.

But if the story, characters and narrative are excellent, the gameplay won't matter.

yeah it looked more ARPG than RPG this time..   in the vein of newer God of War games.     (FF16 is also going this direction)  but ill wait to see more.

It kinda reminds me of my buddy.   We had played Sacred 2 together for 100s of hours.... And when they announce sacred 3 he bought it day 1 no questions... But i watched a video and it looked Bad... (and i was right one of the worst games ever imo compared to the one that came before)

i hope thats not what happens here though
Reply/Quote
Phoenix losing in a fashion that only Phoenix can do now allows me to drown my sorrows in Zelda. Hopefully this will hold me over until D4 (which will hopefully hold me over until Starfield)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I'm broke. Haven't played much of anything in a hot minute, but I still need to complete Hogwarts Legacy.

Games on my mind that I want to get are RE4, Zelda, and Jedi Survivor. With Survivor probably being the first one I'll grab.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2023, 09:35 AM)Stewy Wrote: Considering most hardcore fans I know wanted a return to more of the DAO, D&D style combat with very deep tactics (think gambits from FF12) and that is NOT what was shown recently, the HC fans are very concerned about gameplay.

But if the story, characters and narrative are excellent, the gameplay won't matter.

EA has recently come out and stated not to Expect DA: D till April 2024 at the absolute earliest.

I hope bioware finds some success here.....    They need to deliver
Reply/Quote
A Lot of showcases are coming up between now and july... I posted them in the 2022 e3 thread cause why not... but ill link here too in case you want to know some dates (but ill update in the other location)

Summer Game Fest/ Mess (i miss e3 already)

~Week of May 25th Playstation Showcase potentially.. Not sure if its been announced but its what the insiders say (this showcase is to set up the 2nd half of PS5's life cycle)
6/1 Meta Showcase
6/7 Tribeca Festival
6/8 Summer Games Fest
6/9-6/10 Keigh 3 days of Play
6/11 Xbox + Bethesda Showcase
6/11 Starfield Direct
6/11 PC Gaming Showcase
6/12 Ubisoft Forward
6/13 Xbox Extended Showcase
6/27 GDC Showcase

Then it breaks till August with things like
8/10-13 QuakeCon
8/11 THQ Nordic
8/23-27 GamesCon

Likely a lot of events will pop up not currently listed for other Publishers. if they arent showing at one of the current events.

https://bgr.com/entertainment/summer-gaming-events-2023-xbox-games-showcase-summer-game-fest-pc-gaming-show-and-more/

Rumors of Konami's return being shown off and many more

https://www.trueachievements.com/n53770/summer-game-fest-attendees-xbox-playstation
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 08:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: EA has recently come out and stated not to Expect DA: D till April 2024 at the absolute earliest.

I hope bioware finds some success here.....    They need to deliver

Yep - trust me I saw that a few days ago.  I'm a member of excellent and strictly mod'd ME (90k) and DA (40k) groups on facebook (same mod team), and nothing gets past either group.  I think it was posted in the DA group within 5 minutes of EA's financial call.  haha

They must need a lot of polish or are changing out the combat (reference to leak) or something big, to delay essentially another year, considering they hit their Alpha milestone last October.  But I am glad.....very glad, they are being given the time.  And Starfields release might have pushed them back as well.  I doubt they want to compete directly with Starfield (or any Bethesda RPG), and a year should put them well past the buzz, hype, hysteria or let down or Starfield.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 10:19 AM)Stewy Wrote: Yep - trust me I saw that a few days ago.  I'm a member of excellent and strictly mod'd ME (90k) and DA (40k) groups on facebook (same mod team), and nothing gets past either group.  I think it was posted in the DA group within 5 minutes of EA's financial call.  haha

They must need a lot of polish or are changing out the combat (reference to leak) or something big, to delay essentially another year, considering they hit their Alpha milestone last October.  But I am glad.....very glad, they are being given the time.  And Starfields release might have pushed them back as well.  I doubt they want to compete directly with Starfield (or any Bethesda RPG), and a year should put them well past the buzz, hype, hysteria or let down or Starfield.

From what i heard. A while back they changed direction to make it back to a fully single-player game (after the success of respawns games they agreed to let it go back to singleplayer)... apparently was a multiplayer focused titled at one point. which is probably why its taking so long
And they brought back a guy from DA2 to help

Speaking of Starfield...  i was surprised Baldur's Gate 3 is launching basically the same week.    (i imagine its xbox date will be later...   which im okay with as long as they confirm a date.)

Mortal Kombat new game offical announcement should be either really soon or also part of the upcoming showcases.   Rumors are wild right now.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 10:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: From what i heard.   A while back they changed direction to make it back to a fully single-player game (after the success of respawns games they agreed to let it go back to singleplayer)... apparently was a multiplayer focused titled at one point. which is probably why its taking so long
And they brought back a guy from DA2 to help

Speaking of Starfield...  i was surprised Baldur's Gate 3 is launching basically the same week.    (i imagine its xbox date will be later...   which im okay with as long as they confirm a date.)

Mortal Kombat new game offical announcement should be either really soon or also part of the upcoming showcases.   Rumors are wild right now.

Some clarifications:  Mark Darrah was the Executive producer for the DA franchise since DA:O.  He is the grandfather of the DA franchise.  He left in 2020 on the same day as Casey Hudson in Dec. 2020.  They considered it, and it seemed genuinely, a passing of the guard.  

David Gaider was the Father, lead Writer and visionary of DA - he left in 2016 after EA pushed for DA4 to be live service like Anthem.  He has a new game coming out, which is absolutely out of the ordinary  (https://www.summerfallstudios.com/stray-gods ).  I'll play this if it gets ported to consoles, if for no other reasons than it looks so different/new and the story telling should be stellar.

The shift from MP to single player happened back in 2018, but apparently it was a huge shift as core systems had to be re-written.  However, the writing team, lead by Patrick Weekes (moved to DA from ME between 2 & 3 so helped write DAI - father of Grunt, Mordin, wrote Garrus in ME2, etc), is phenomenal, which still employs many/most of the original writers from the DA franchise.  So the writing, story, character dev. and narrative has a HUGE chance to be superb given the amount of time they've had to write.

In regard to Mark Darrah's return, that happened last month, and it was not at Bioware's request to him, but as an offer to Bioware from Mark Darrah, which Bioware accepted.  He is not back in a leadership role, but basically as a consistency consultant to ensure or provide feedback on connecting the dots between the current game and the lore/stories of the past.  Even with excellent writing the two founders of the DA series were/are not on the project, thus there was a HUGE risk of critical Lore drops, Lore inconsistencies, Story gaps and Inconsistencies.  There is retconn'ing and then there's dropping the ball entirely, which hopefully Mark's input will mitigate.  And trust me the DA fans are LORE junkies and will be very harsh over storylines and lore that break three games of consistencies.  Who knows....the push back of one year, might have been after Mark gave an initial report on his opinion of the progress and needed changes, fixes, tweaks, etc.  If nothing else, the timing of his return and the push back on release date is interesting.
Reply/Quote
Just got back from a vacation so I'm only about 1.5 hours into Zelda. It certainly feels like a $70 dlc expansion so far.

That said, it's Zelda. I'm quite confident that it'll start doing its own thing in due time.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 06:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just got back from a vacation so I'm only about 1.5 hours into Zelda. It certainly feels like a $70 dlc expansion so far.

That said, it's Zelda. I'm quite confident that it'll start doing its own thing in due time.

still unsure what their reasoning was to jump the price up to 70 considering its still on last gen hardware.

Gears 5 = 100% done

Working on Forza Horizon 4, Doom Eternal, Battle field 5 atm

EU has approved the MS/ABK deal
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 06:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Just got back from a vacation so I'm only about 1.5 hours into Zelda. It certainly feels like a $70 dlc expansion so far.

I'm about 20 hours in now, and I 100% disagree.  It is a re-imagined game with a completely different but even better story than the original.  It is at least 2-3 times larger.  The old tools are gone and the new tools are completely different, which I thought I would hate and don't.

And this game is murdering me.  I have died more in this game than in every BotW PT combined.  

And speaking of the story, Zelda isn't really known for its story telling because essentially it is always the same story, but like BotW, they have taken a complete left turn on the story, yet it doesn't feel detached from the previous game.  I WANT to know more about the story........which you don't usually get from Zelda games.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2023, 07:48 PM)Stewy Wrote: I'm about 20 hours in now, and I 100% disagree.  It is a re-imagined game with a completely different but even better story than the original.  It is at least 2-3 times larger.  The old tools are gone and the new tools are completely different, which I thought I would hate and don't.

And this game is murdering me.  I have died more in this game than in every BotW PT combined.  

And speaking of the story, Zelda isn't really known for its story telling because essentially it is always the same story, but like BotW, they have taken a complete left turn on the story, yet it doesn't feel detached from the previous game.  I WANT to know more about the story........which you don't usually get from Zelda games.

Looking forward to getting into the story. Still kind of just derping around the initial Sky/Ground/Chasm areas. The new skills are neat. Definitely loving the sandbox feel of Ultrahand, Fuse and the devices and exploring the sky and chasm. A little less psyched about doing another couple hundred of shrine and korok puzzles or finding all the towers again. 

It's exactly what it was billed as: a continuation of BotW. Still determining whether I like it or love it. Can't blame them for sticking with what worked.  
Reply/Quote
Glad you guys are enjoying Zelda...

not much this week.

AoE 2: Rome DLC (this is basically AoE1) is now available for Console/Pc

Amazon has announced they are making a LOTR MMO

Stray is apparently headed to xbox

The Masquerade bloodhunt is ending support...
https://www.destructoid.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodhunt-is-ending-development/
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2023, 12:25 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Looking forward to getting into the story. Still kind of just derping around the initial Sky/Ground/Chasm areas. The new skills are neat. Definitely loving the sandbox feel of Ultrahand, Fuse and the devices and exploring the sky and chasm. A little less psyched about doing another couple hundred of shrine and korok puzzles or finding all the towers again. 

It's exactly what it was billed as: a continuation of BotW. Still determining whether I like it or love it. Can't blame them for sticking with what worked.  

Find all the towers ASAP - there is no better way to fast travel to a new area than to shoot up into the air and dive/glide to it.  Also using the scope in mid-air pauses the game and doesn't use stamina, so shoot up - scope - mark thing till your hearts content - then glide to get them all.  Really makes traveling/scouting so much easier.
Reply/Quote
It has Begun......    Again.....

MK1   Title reboot but story follows the end of MK11

Disappointed they are locking a character behind preorder but the game looks amazing and is suppose to have a big campaign.

Lords of the fallen trailer....  

^^    Set to some Iron Maiden.  This looks good

Let me know if you rather me keep trailers somewhere else like its own thread lol
Reply/Quote
Finally ran thru the DLC for Doom eternal... The story is pretty crazy lol. The DLC missions are crammed full of things to kill including a couple of times you get to fight Twin Marauders... Or a marauder with some Other large enemies like Tyrant's (cyberdemons) ... Takes a while to push thru them all.

Overall Great DLC's that kinda Wrap up the Slayers Story line for now.... I dont think id's next game will be another Doom after seeing the ending. Imma Say its Quake reboot / Rage 3 or a new IP from idsoft next. (unless they are handling Wolfenstein 3 with machine games working on Indiana Jones)

Gonna mess around with the horde mode next.

I think ill go with either Prey or Wolfenstein 2 after finishing Doom eternal
Reply/Quote
Finished Horde mode for Eternal   was pretty fun and VERY intense lol  (the last few fights were crazy....)    Glad i played the DLC first or i would not have made it thru.  

Just need to try the Extra Life modes for the DLCs and the game will be 100%

Playstation showcase today @ 4pm est....    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EKydVVvHk

Anything you want to see? or expecting?

I imagine we see Silent hill 2,   (rumored timed exclusive)
And Metal gear solid 3 remakes.    (rumored NOT exclusive)  *** Update... Is a Collection of 1,2,3 remastered to be shown in June (likely 6.8 at the Summer GameFest event)
Maybe some footage of the Twisted metal show coming. (maybe a twisted metal announcement )
im sure we will see some FF16   as its close  and Spiderman 2  

And im interested in what 3rd part games they show.
Reply/Quote
Killing time until Diablo 4 drops, I upped my regular PS+ sub to the next tier with the game catalogue. This is my first time playing both FF7 Remake + Intergrade and Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart. Wow! What awesome games! As someone who owned and spent a lot of time on the original FF7, its been a lot of fun seeing things in this remake and remembering them from the original. The fighting mechanics take some getting used to but I’ve been having a blast. Getting my game-with-friends fix with Borderlands 3 on xplats, the Discord integration is a godsend!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2023, 10:50 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Killing time until Diablo 4 drops, I upped my regular PS+ sub to the next tier with the game catalogue. This is my first time playing both FF7 Remake + Intergrade and Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart. Wow! What awesome games! As someone who owned and spent a lot of time on the original FF7, its been a lot of fun seeing things in this remake and remembering them from the original. The fighting mechanics take some getting used to but I’ve been having a blast. Getting my game-with-friends fix with Borderlands 3 on xplats, the Discord integration is a godsend!

Nice waiting on Diablo 4 as well  only a week to go (or 2 days if you spent big lol)   

Finished up Doom Eternals DLC...   Running thru Rogue Squadron Story mode.   and using Battlefield 5 for my multiplayer action at the moment and Forza Horizon 4 for my causal gaming needs

Next Showcases up are Meta (VR)  6/1  and then 6/8 for summer game fest.    

Here is a breakdown of everything that was at the PS showcase.... https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-showcase-2023-everything-announced
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:46 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Here is a breakdown of everything that was at the PS showcase....  https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-showcase-2023-everything-announced

Remakes of old franchises and a half dozen Zelda clones.  When was the last time a SONY studio had an original idea?  They're still hanging on to the archaic philosophy of exclusivity, and failing miserably.  If I only had a PS5, I'd feel like SONY was ripping me off.  Not a single thing there interested me or made me pause.

Also no comment about the KOTOR remake.....that is a bad sign.  I know people in the FB ME group Im in that have bought or are planning to buy a PS5 specifically for the remake.  Dumb if you ask me, but fans will fan.
Reply/Quote