Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Grade Would you Give the Bengals Thus Far during the OFF-SEASON?
(03-25-2017, 01:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn Harley. Mellow

I'm pretty butt hurt right now. Does it show? All moves are questionable while we see teams like the Pat's (someone we have to beat to get to the big show) do all the right things and make the right moves. The Steelers find ways of getting deals done and we, on the other hand, seem to find an overwhelming joy in saving money and getting comp pics to get to 8-8. I feel like Mike B shoved a dagger in my spirit by being, no more than Mike B. Not sure why I expect more every year when all we get is more of the same. However, this year seemed a little harsher than previous.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
C-

Minter was a great move.

But Andre does not balance out the loss of Whit and Zeitler.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'll go B-.

We knew we were losing Zeitler. It would have been nice if we tagged and traded him for a pick...but so it goes. Adding Andre Smith to replace him was a move I called for and Smith has the potential to be an elite Guard.

Minter is a huge upgrade to Maualuga. HUGE.

Losing Whitworth hurts...but he's already the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL. He's not going to hold up much longer. They would have had to replace him sooner than later. They drafted to replace him...the guys just haven't panned out yet.

Sometimes young Tackles look like busts for a couple years...then it clicks.

Now...WE NEED A STARTER IN THE 1ST ROUND OF THE DRAFT. Fournette, Foster, or a DE that upgrades us. It has to happen. IF we can do that...we should be set.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 07:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll go B-.

We knew we were losing Zeitler. It would have been nice if we tagged and traded him for a pick...but so it goes. Adding Andre Smith to replace him was a move I called for and Smith has the potential to be an elite Guard.

Losing Whitworth hurts...but he's already the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL. He's not going to hold up much longer. They would have had to replace him sooner than later. They drafted to replace him...the guys just haven't panned out yet.

Now...WE NEED A STARTER IN THE 1ST ROUND OF THE DRAFT. Fournette, Foster, or a DE that upgrades us. It has to happen. IF we can do that...we should be set.

Not one team in the league makes that trade unless Kevin has a long term deal signed
Reply/Quote

The team got weaker at a number of spots and upgraded only one.

Re-signing LaFell, Kirkpatrick, Winston and TJ are all sideways moves and improve nothing.

Keeping Peerman over Burkhead was a step back as Peerman can't really hold down a RB spot.

Smith over Zeitler was a step back. Smith is almost done as a player and Zeitler has years ahead of him.

Minter over Mauluaga was the lone improvement in talent on the team.

Compared to the other teams in the league I just don't see how these moves could possibly rate above the bottom few teams.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool man, pretty neat knowing the fam.

Just makes too much sense, dude was cut, used to be great, area of need...

They have a big family, and are all around town.  His dad used to coach the Wee Elks and my son was in that league for a while.  He had a sister that worked in a physician office I used to work with...

They are a super nice family.  Nick does a lot of things locally even now.  I think he was at the Alter Fish Fry, a huge fundraiser, a few weeks ago as was Joseph Thuney.  

His mom STILL swims masters in the mornings around 5am.  

I know teams were asking him about playing guard, but here he should simply try to force Bodine out of the position.  Again, competition improves the breed.  
Reply/Quote
Based on the moves so far? D.

-our bad offensive line got worse
-our mediocre line backing group got a little better
-our underperforming running backs got a little worse.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I'm going to have to go with a D so far. It could improve significantly through the draft though. If we can figure out our offensive line woes through the draft, or a better offensive scheme from Zampese I think that we could turn the ship around. I was really hoping that we could get another kicker, because I'm not really sure about Bullock.
Reply/Quote

I appreciate the optimism. Here's to hoping Ogbuehi and Fisher become good football players during their 3rd seasons. It's possible.

That said, I think a B- is awfully generous. We downgraded at 2 positions, upgraded at 1 and stood pat everywhere else.

I guess you could say releasing Peko was an addition by subtraction, and cutting RM was an unexpected (although obvious) decision.

I agree that we need a starter with the #9 pick. At this point, do you feel like Foster would start over Burfict or Minter? I guess he could be a "starter" at SLB, but that position has gotten fewer and fewer snaps each season and I consider the nickel CB to be more of a starter than SLB at this point in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
If signing one guy took your grade up a whole letter then you are severely Bengalized
Reply/Quote
C

Too many questions marks on offensive line.
Reply/Quote
A solid C that could easily be bumped up to a B if we trade McCarron, bring in a good haul for the draft and re-sign Burfict before the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 06:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm pretty butt hurt right now. Does it show? All moves are questionable while we see teams like the Pat's (someone we have to beat to get to the big show) do all the right things and make the right moves. The Steelers find ways of getting deals done and we, on the other hand, seem to find an overwhelming joy in saving money and getting comp pics to get to 8-8. I feel like Mike B shoved a dagger in my spirit by being, no more than Mike B. Not sure why I expect more every year when all we get is more of the same. However, this year seemed a little harsher than previous.

I think a lot of us have been disappointed this Offseason. To let 2 of your best O-lineman go from an already bad
Offensive Line does that kind of thing. The Patriots don't settle for mediocrity, that is why they win Superbowls.

But we still have a solid team man and it should be exciting to watch this Defense.

Whit might fall off in LA and if he did here we might of been in a worse position if we signed him to a similar deal.

Zeitler became the highest paid Guard ever. No way does he deserve that with his poor run blocking.

Minter is the type of LB we have needed forever. He can stop the run, cover and is smart.

Billings should be a major upgrade over Peko. WJ3 could be a great Corner...

There are some positives bud.
Reply/Quote
Part of my reason for optimism is the fact that they have gotten rid of Peko and Maualuga...who were both drains on the team. Losing them should make us faster and younger.

Burkhead was never going to be a starter here. That was a pipe dream. He needed to go to a team like the Pats that is creative.

Whitworth was the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL last season. He's not going to play at an elite level much longer. Losing him as an elite performer was coming one way or the other. It sucks...

As I look at it...we knew Zeitler was leaving...so we're Whitworth down and we gained Smith and Minter.
Reply/Quote
They're at a solid C- after the signing of Minter, and dismissing 58.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Part of my reason for optimism is the fact that they have gotten rid of Peko and Maualuga...who were both drains on the team. Losing them should make us faster and younger.

Burkhead was never going to be a starter here. That was a pipe dream. He needed to go to a team like the Pats that is creative.

Whitworth was the oldest starting Tackle in the NFL last season. He's not going to play at an elite level much longer. Losing him as an elite performer was coming one way or the other. It sucks...

As I look at it...we knew Zeitler was leaving...so we're Whitworth down and we gained Smith and Minter.

Nice post yet again Pistons.

Have been calling for an upgrade over Peko forever. With Billings, DeShawn Williams, Hardison and probably a draft pick
we could be so much better in the middle of our D-line this year it isn't funny. If we add a talented pass rusher at RDE we
could be a very tough team to pass on in this passing league.

We were tough to pass on last year and this year we could be adding the likes of WJ3 to the fold. Shawn should get better.

We need to draft a RB with Gio's injury and both him and Hill's poor play as of late. As much as i hate what Mixon did, he
is quite possibly the most talented RB in this draft and if we take him in the 2nd i guess i would have to root for him.

Would rather have McCaffrey in the 2nd though all the way cause Mixon was such a dumbass.

If we paid Whit what he got in LA and he fell off it could of really hurt this team more than letting him go.

Zeit was a poor run blocker period, he didn't deserve that contract, crazy Clowns. LMAO
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post yet again Pistons.

Have been calling for an upgrade over Peko forever. With Billings, DeShawn Williams, Hardison and probably a draft pick
we could be so much better in the middle of our D-line this year it isn't funny. If we add a talented pass rusher at RDE we
could be a very tough team to pass on in this passing league.

We were tough to pass on last year and this year we could be adding the likes of WJ3 to the fold. Shawn should get better.

We need to draft a RB with Gio's injury and both him and Hill's poor play as of late. As much as i hate what Mixon did, he
is quite possibly the most talented RB in this draft and if we take him in the 2nd i guess i would have to root for him.

Would rather have McCaffrey in the 2nd though all the way cause Mixon was such a dumbass.

If we paid Whit what he got in LA and he fell off it could of really hurt this team more than letting him go.

Zeit was a poor run blocker period, he didn't deserve that contract, crazy Clowns. LMAO

We're on the same page. I'd love to see Fournette in the 1st Round...but I think he's gone by our pick.

I like Foster too...but as someone pointed out...we play 2 LB sets a lot and the 3rd LB doesn't see the field much. That would make Foster a waste in some ways.

So...a guy like Taco Charlton that is 6 foot 6 and 270 fits the Bengals mold at DE.

While, I'd hate to see us draft a TE to replace Eifert...a guy like OJ Howard is a dominant TE. IF the Bengals would keep Eifert and play them both...I'd be cool with that.

Then, there's a guy like Mike Williams at WR. The Lafell signing probably closes the door on this.

Dalvin Cook is probably a reach at our pick.

Then, you gotta look at if a guy like Hooker falls. Do we need a S? No. But if you can get a Top 5 talent, the Bengals may jump at it.

I do think they signed Minter to free up the draft.

In my dream scenario we select Fournette.
Reply/Quote
D

Moved up from an F because they cut Rey M, let Peko go and signed Minter.

Cut bodine and I will move the grade o C-.

Whit should have been franchised and Z should have been extended a year ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 09:31 PM)Housh Wrote: Not one team in the league makes that trade unless Kevin has a long term deal signed

That's the thing...you Tag him and the team you trade him to works out a contract with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're on the same page. I'd love to see Fournette in the 1st Round...but I think he's gone by our pick.

I like Foster too...but as someone pointed out...we play 2 LB sets a lot and the 3rd LB doesn't see the field much. That would make Foster a waste in some ways.

So...a guy like Taco Charlton that is 6 foot 6 and 270 fits the Bengals mold at DE.

While, I'd hate to see us draft a TE to replace Eifert...a guy like OJ Howard is a dominant TE. IF the Bengals would keep Eifert and play them both...I'd be cool with that.

Then, there's a guy like Mike Williams at WR. The Lafell signing probably closes the door on this.

Dalvin Cook is probably a reach at our pick.

Then, you gotta look at if a guy like Hooker falls. Do we need a S? No. But if you can get a Top 5 talent, the Bengals may jump at it.

I do think they signed Minter to free up the draft.

In my dream scenario we select Fournette.

Would be fine with Fournette, he is a gap scheme runner but he can learn to see his blocks different if we need him to.
For his size he might be the fastest big RB since Earl Campbell. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield which is
what we will need out of our RB's. To tell you the truth i like Dalvin Cook a little more but he has had his troubles off the
field just like Mixon has.

OJ Howard would really help us in lots of ways, he can block which we will probably need our TE's to do next to Og and
Howard is a great pass catcher. Great insurance for if Eifert is never the same or leaves, plus that may be the best TE duo
in the NFL besides Gronk and Bennett.

I hope we don't use the Lafell signing as a reason not to pick a player that could really help us. Mike Williams, John Ross
and Corey Davis would all be upgrades over Lafell and would open up more chances for Green. I really like Lafell but he
is not a gamebreaker.

Hooker is a rare talent, being compared to Ed Reed is no laughing matter, BPA. I like Jamal Adams a lot too but i think
we may be fine at Safety, it is not a terrible need. Shawn should improve and if he doesn't, Derron, Fej and Shaw all are
great insurance.

Getting Minter might of made Foster not as likely but it is only a one year deal.
Reply/Quote