Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What I would do with C. J. Uzomah
(11-11-2015, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: They have had Gronk before and lost. Stopping Gronk isn't the issue, it is stopping Brady. To stop Brady you have to get to him quickly. I feel good that Geno and Carlos can get there. With the loss of Deion Lewis they lose a huge weapon out of the backfield. Of course it won't be easy, but getting to Brady is the key.

Brady is not the special if we can take away Gronk.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 10:50 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't know, probably the same guy you're trying to bench to activate a rookie TE that's never even active and may not have ever dropped back in coverage in his life in an attempt to "disrupt" the most dominant TE in the NFL??

Yeah, that guy.

I am only talking about a one game stunt.  I would never say Uzo should be an every day player.

If you are saying play Mays as a LB in our nickle and dime scheme, then it is not that bad of an idea.  I was just pointing out that it is better to let Miller get 105 and hold the Steelers to 262 passing yards than hold him to 32 but give up 413.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 09:53 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Sounds interesting but teaching someone to flip their hips after punching forward is not learned in a couple weeks. It has to do with leverage and balance. Reference Taylor Mays....still hasn't learned how to turn his hips

but played pretty well against TEs for us when we actually used him
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am only talking about a one game stunt.  I would never say Uzo should be an every day player.

If you are saying play Mays as a LB in our nickle and dime scheme, then it is not that bad of an idea.  I was just pointing out that it is better to let Miller get 105 and hold the Steelers to 262 passing yards than hold him to 32 but give up 413.

That's what a lot of us wanted to see. Mays played some surprisingly good football here at times. Having some packages with Hall and Mays on the field at the same time would have likely improved our matchups against teams with physical TEs and/or slot WRs.

I know you're talking about 1 game, but who do you deactivate for the AFC Championship game that has been regularly active beforehand? I don't know if I'd take my chances putting Uzomah out there with no real time game experience beforehand in that role. That would be awfully risky against the best HC, QB, and TE in the league right now. I'm sure Belichick would love to see us putting our rookie TE on Gronkowski to start the game. He'd probably, literally, laugh out loud on the sidelines. I guess it would be a way to get him to crack a smile if that's your end game.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Brady is not the special if we can take away Gronk.

WHAT!? Now you are just trolling. You literally just said a future hall of fame QB, and in argument for best ever, is not that special without a TE who he hasn't had most his career.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: WHAT!? Now you are just trolling. You literally just said a future hall of fame QB, and in argument for best ever, is not that special without a TE who he hasn't had most his career.

Well now you've done it.

Fred is going to post Brady's 2013 stats as if they somehow "prove" that Brady sucks without Gronk, even though there were many other factors to consider with his lower than usual passer rating.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 11:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Simple they would just motion him, or put him in a bunch off the line, or line him up in the backfield next to Brady like a two back set out of shotgun, all easy ways to make it impossible to jam him but now you have a guy in coverage with zero coverage ability.  You put a guy out there in coverage who can't cover all that does is give them something to expose once they nullify the one thing he may be able to do. Gronk will be a factor but when teams start trying to get to cute and out think themselves that is when they melt down(see Grudens brilliant plan to not throw to AJ in Houston).

Sumbitch has to cross the line of scrimmage at some point.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The next time Fred starts ripping on anyone, this thread needs to immediately be referenced.

How many calls for defensive holding or contact beyond five yards to you allow before stopping the experiment? How many catches do you allow Gronk to have, because he simply blows past the guy who has no experience in coverage, before you stop the experiment? We're talking about maybe the best tight end ever, but certainly the best tight end in the game today, and they are going to cover him with a backup tight end who, with the exception of the playground, has maybe never covered anyone in his life??
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:21 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Well now you've done it.

Fred is going to post Brady's 2013 stats as if they somehow "prove" that Brady sucks without Gronk, even though there were many other factors to consider with his lower than usual passer rating.

I'll just post the numbers and let you explain what other factors applied specifically to the games Gronk played that year.

7 games with Gronk........95.8 passer rating....315.0 yds/game....5 games with 90+ passer rating
9 games with no Gronk...80.3 passer rating....237.6 yds/game....2 games with 90+ passer rating
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:51 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: The next time Fred starts ripping on anyone, this thread needs to immediately be referenced.  

How many calls for defensive holding or contact beyond five yards to you allow before stopping the experiment?  How many catches do you allow Gronk to have, because he simply blows past the guy who has no experience in coverage, before you stop the experiment?  We're talking about maybe the best tight end ever, but certainly the best tight end in the game today, and they are going to cover him with a backup tight end who, with the exception of the playground, has maybe never covered anyone in his life??

If they try it and it doesn't work then you can rip me.  Otherwise your opinion is no more valid than mine.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If they try it and it doesn't work then you can rip me.  Otherwise your opinion is no more valid than mine.

Serious question: how long would you let it fail before you called it off?  If you're Marvin Lewis, and you finally have your shot to go to a Super Bowl, would you really go with a complete unproven tactic??
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If they try it and it doesn't work then you can rip me.  Otherwise your opinion is no more valid than mine.

Alright while we are at it, we should let Geno Atkins try to block JJ Watt. I mean he is strong, and blocking can't be all that tough either right? Your logic throughout this whole thread is just ridiculous. Just throwing out a stupid idea and saying it isn't stupid because it hasn't been tried doesn't make it right either. You are completely ignoring the immense amount of skill it actually takes to jam a player at the line. It is a skill some CB's never get down in their entire career.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll just post the numbers and let you explain what other factors applied specifically to the games Gronk played that year.

7 games with Gronk........95.8 passer rating....315.0 yds/game....5 games with 90+ passer rating
9 games with no Gronk...80.3 passer rating....237.6 yds/game....2 games with 90+ passer rating

Quick question....How many Super Bowls does Brady have with Gronkowski and without?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:13 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I'm sure Belichick would love to see us putting our rookie TE on Gronkowski to start the game. He'd probably, literally, laugh out loud on the sidelines. I guess it would be a way to get him to crack a smile if that's your end game.

Funny you should mention Belichick since he flipped a WR (Troy Brown) to DB in the middle of the '03 season and went to the Super Bowl, then continued to play Brown there in '04 when and was second on the team in interceptions.

Then again in 2011 Belichick played WR Julian Edelman at DB.

And of course Belichick is the coach who got 8 td receptions from lining up LB Mike Vrabel at TE.

Basically what I am saying is that i am thinking like one of the greatest coaches in history and you all are just opposed to anything new or "outside the box".  Asking a TE to learn a limited coverage role is not like teaching a guy brain surgery.  Uzo is one of the rare athletes than can match Gronk's physical abilities.  Add the element of surprise and it could work for one game.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 09:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Start training him right now to play press coverage against Gronk.  He doesn't have to learn how to drop in a zone.  He doesn't have to learn how to read formations to decide who he will cover.  All he has to do is learn how to get up in Gronk's face; disrupt his timing as he comes off the line of scrimmage; beat him up for 5 yards; then flip his hips and pray that he has help behind him.

Gronkowski...6'6", 265, 4.65 forty
Uzomah........6'5', 265, 4.65 forty

Might as well make him a safety for one game.  he isn't doing anything else for the team

as my mum would say , "that's the problem with common sense....its not that common"

Will Clarke is 6'6", 291
JJ Watt is  6'5" , 289

Why don't move to Will Clarke to RT for one week .vs. texans seeing as Andre Smith is banged up and Eric Winston probably cannot deal with this stud matchup monster and see how it goes.

in the interests of fairness I should point out that we would actually have a lot more time (2-3 months) to prepare CJ Uzomah for Gronk then Will Clarke for JJ Watt.

I'm all for innovative thinking but this is silly.  If we cannot do it by matching up our defensive personnel one on one (e.g Iloka, Lamur) then we do it through scheme (hello Coach Guenther) and if both of those fail we rightfully lose to a better team with better weapons
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny you should mention Belichick since he flipped a WR (Troy Brown) to DB in the middle of the '03 season and went to the Super Bowl, then continued to play Brown there in '04 when and was second on the team in interceptions.

Then again in 2011 Belichick played WR Julian Edelman at DB.

And of course Belichick is the coach who got 8 td receptions from lining up LB Mike Vrabel at TE.

Basically what I am saying is that i am thinking like one of the greatest coaches in history and you all are thinking like cavemen.  Asking a TE to learn a limited coverage role is not like teaching a guy brain surgery.  Uzo is one of the rare athletes than can match Gronk's physical abilities.  Add the element of surprise and it could work for one game.

Now you just compared yourself to Bill Belicheck? Did they ask Julian Edelman to cover Jerry Rice? That is what you are doing your asking a guy to learn a position to cover the best player ever at their position.
Reply/Quote

What great logic.

We never tried to put Andy at LB, so it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

We should have Dunlap wear a blindfold for an entire game, it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

We never tried punting the ball on 2nd down for an entire game, it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

Stop trolling.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Basically what I am saying is that i am thinking like one of the greatest coaches in history and you all are thinking like cavemen.

So you're admitting that you're just trolling the boards today? Noted.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 11:12 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: And the minute the best TE in the NFL gets past 5 yards with a guy that hasn't defended or they call favorable penalties then what do you do.

This is stupid Fred

Exactly, yeah lets match speed with speed, lets forget about elite talent vs unproven commodity, yeah seems so reasonable, I'm surprised Ontario Mcalleb wasnt a superstar in this league.
Reply/Quote
Where is Brad? This is the easiest lay up ever for him and he is nowhere to be found.
Reply/Quote