Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What I would do with C. J. Uzomah
(11-11-2015, 12:04 PM)sonofstat Wrote: as my mum would say , "that's the problem with common sense....its not that common"

Will Clarke is 6'6", 291
JJ Watt is  6'5" , 289

Why don't move to Will Clarke to RT for one week .vs. texans seeing as Andre Smith is banged up and Eric Winston probably cannot deal with this stud matchup monster and see how it goes.

in the interests of fairness I should point out that we would actually have a lot more time (2-3 months) to prepare CJ Uzomah for Gronk then Will Clarke for JJ Watt.

I'm all for innovative thinking but this is silly.  If we cannot do it by matching up our defensive personnel one on one (e.g Iloka, Lamur) then we do it through scheme (hello Coach Guenther) and if both of those fail we rightfully lose to a better team with better weapons

as a follow on ...this is a Marvin Lewis coached team.  The same conservatism and 'build, not blow up' mentality that has characterised his tenure recently means I cannot see any way he would pull this type of stunt.

Jeez, even getting two 1st round DBs like Dre and Dennard on the field has been slow coming so i seriously cannot see this coaching staff suddenly decides that a TE who cannot make the field in his drafted position is the answer.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 11:59 AM)Au165 Wrote: Quick question....How many Super Bowls does Brady have with Gronkowski and without?

Quick question......Who cares what he did 10 years ago?  But since you asked

In '01 and '04 Brady won Super Bowls while averaging less than 200 passing yards per game in the postseason.

In '07 he made it back, but he had Randy Moss.

Then he never made it back again until he got Gronk.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: What great logic.

We never tried to put Andy at LB, so it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

We should have Dunlap wear a blindfold for an entire game, it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

We never tried punting the ball on 2nd down for an entire game, it's not a bad idea and your opinion is no more valid than mine since they haven't tried it.

Stop trolling.

(11-11-2015, 12:06 PM)djs7685 Wrote: So you're admitting that you're just trolling the boards today? Noted.

Pointing out that you guys are laughing at a technique that Bill Belichick has used is not trolling.  

You just have no other way to respond to the truth.

If it is so stupid then why does Belichick do it?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pointing out that you guys are laughing at a technique that Bill Belichick has used is not trolling.  

You just have no other way to respond to the truth.

If it is so stupid then why does Belichick do it?

Belichick converted a rookie TE that he didn't activate the entire year to specifically cover the best TE in the NFL in an AFC Championship game without seeing him do it beforehand except at practice?

Let's be honest, none of his position changes were really anything like what you're suggesting to do here. You can't even honestly suggest that it's remotely similar. You don't like being honest though, so just carry on with your trolling and namecalling.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:10 PM)sonofstat Wrote: as a follow on ...this is a Marvin Lewis coached team.  The same conservatism and 'build, not blow up' mentality that has characterised his tenure recently means I cannot see any way he would pull this type of stunt.

You mean the guy who used a one-off stunt defense against the Broncos last year?

And won a division title in '09 with a quirky unbalanced 6 man O-line?

And uses Peko at FB?

And throws the ball to Fisher?

And lines up Whitworth split out wide at times?
Reply/Quote
That is it guys! Fred is now Bill Belicheck and we are all caveman! Obviously the secret to stopping Gronk that no NFL coach has figured out over Gronks entire career is to move a 5th round rookie TE to cover him. If only NFL coaches were as smart as Fred.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:22 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Let's be honest, none of his position changes were really anything like what you're suggesting to do here. You can't even honestly suggest that it's remotely similar. You don't like being honest though, so just carry on with your trolling and namecalling.

I am suggesting we use a receiver in coverage, just like Belichick.

BTW the best way to tell when I am winning an argument with DJS is the number of personal insults he uses.  Lets see how this continues.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am suggesting we use a receiver in coverage, just like Belichick.

BTW the best way to tell when I am winning an argument with DJS is the number of personal insults he uses.  Lets see how this continues.

Who is namecalling? The guy jerking all over himself saying how smart he is and calling the rest of the board "cavemen", or the guy saying that the other guy doesn't like being honest?

You know the answer. Let's see if you admit it.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am suggesting we use a receiver in coverage, just like Belichick.

The fact you don't see the difference is comical, yet slightly sad. Having a WR play as an emergency or slot CB is not the same as trying to train a 6'5 265 TE to learn how to play press coverage and flip his hips and run in 2 months in order to take on possibley the best player at his position ever. Your lack of understanding how hard it is to learn press coverage is why this whole thing is slightly sad. Bad press coverage is no different then a LB chipping him as he comes off the line and we have seen time and time again that does very little. The difference is bad press coverage leaves a guys dusted and an open target.
Reply/Quote
It's intermission time.

Popcorn
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:28 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Who is namecalling? The guy jerking all over himself saying how smart he is and calling the rest of the board "cavemen", or the guy saying that the other guy doesn't like being honest?

You know the answer. Let's see if you admit it.

I apolgize if you took the "caveman" comment as a personal insult.  I just meant it as a generic term for people who oppose anything new.  

I didn't realize you guys would be so sensitive over it.  I am going back and removing that comment from this thread.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:30 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: It's intermission time.

Popcorn

Nah, the game is over, it's just a matter of time until we ignore Fred instead of feeding his trolling more.

I will say that it's funny to see one of the guys that insults more people than anyone else on these boards is squealing and crying about someone else using "personal insults", though I haven't said anything bad about poor little Freddy except that he doesn't always like to be honest on here.

Anyone else makes a thread like this "You're a moron. The coaches know best and they haven't done it yet. Idiot. Stupid idea." - Fredtoast

Fred makes the thread. "You're all thinking like cavemen and I'm so smart because I'm suggesting something that the greatest coach evar does!!!" - Fredtoast

....even though this suggestion is nothing like anything Belichick has done in the past, but let's keep ignoring that errrbody! Wouldn't want to bring logic and facts into Fred's dream.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The fact you don't see the difference is comical, yet slightly sad. Having a WR play as an emergency or slot CB is not the same as trying to train a 6'5 265 TE to learn how to play press coverage and flip his hips and run in 2 months in order to take on possibley the best player at his position ever. Your lack of understanding how hard it is to learn press coverage is why this whole thing is slightly sad. Bad press coverage is no different then a LB chipping him as he comes off the line and we have seen time and time again that does very little. The difference is bad press coverage leaves a guys dusted and an open target.

Flipping your hips is not rocket science.  It is just turning around and running. Uzo is not a tackle.  He is a TE who is used to cutting at speed and keeping his balance. 

The big difference between a LB and Uzo is that Uzo has the speed to run with Gronk down the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:37 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I will say that it's funny to see one of the guys that insults more people than anyone else on these boards

I tell people they are wrong, but that is not the same as using personal insults.

I don't use personal insults.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Flipping your hips is not rocket science.  It is just turning around and running. Uzo is not a tackle.  He is a TE who is used to cutting at speed and keeping his balance. 

The big difference between a LB and Uzo is that Uzo has the speed to run with Gronk down the field.

Your over simplification of technique is what is baffling in all of this. There is a reason guys come out in the draft and are taken as undersized D ends in 4-3 rather than 3-4 OLB. Often times it is because THEY CAN'T FLIP THEIR HIPS. Flipping your hips and turning to run is completely different than running a route. Your ignorance to anything actually relating to football technique is obvious.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: Your over simplification of technique is what is baffling in all of this. There is a reason guys come out in the draft and are taken as undersized D ends in 4-3 rather than 3-4 OLB. Often times it is because THEY CAN'T FLIP THEIR HIPS. Flipping your hips and turning to run is completely different than running a route. Your ignorance to anything actually relating to football technique obvious.

First of all there is a BIG difference between backpeddling into a zone and then flipping your hips to to catch up with a receiver running at full speed and flipping your hips when you are engaged with a receiver in press coverage.  When you are already engaged with a receiver the receiver is not blowing past you at full speed.  I know.  I have done it.  

Second of all you can't compare a TE to a D-lineman.  If Uzo was too stiff in the hips to play OLB then he would not be playing TE.  He is used to cutting at speed and keeping his balance.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all there is a big difference between backpeddling into a zone and then flipping your hips to to catch up with a receiver running at full speed and flipping your hips when you are engaged with a receiver in press coverage.  When you are already engaged with a receiver the receiver is not blowing past you at full speed.  

Second of all you can't compare a TE to a D-lineman.  If Uzo was too stiff in the hips to play OLB then he would not be playing TE.  He is used to cutting at speed and keeping his balance.

You are further proving my point with this response. Gronk can shake and Rip him, he can swim him, or he could do any other number of moves to get a release and make the press ineffective causing C.J. to be coming forward (what often happens when you get a bad jam or miss the jam) while Gronk is running by him. This then would require him to be able to quickly flip his hips and turn and run, which is not an easy technique and has cost many CBs their chance in the NFL, then as C.J. finally gets around and is chasing, Gronk makes a cut, maybe even a curl, and C.J. runs right by him.

The best TE in the game is not being covered by a nobody TE who has never played CB, especially in press coverage! The technique of football is a huge part of football it's not about just being big and fast.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You mean when they held Julius Thomas to 2 catches/33 yards? Yeah, that was Taylor Mays doing that. The same Taylor Mays who held Heath Miller to 3 catches/32 yards only a week after the Bengals let him get 10 catches/105 yards.

Was a mistake that they let him walk. He had a small role, but he performed well at it last year.

The same Taylor Mays who just gave up 284 yards and 15 catches to Antonio Brown on Sunday? Brown is good, but we cover him better than that. 

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 01:06 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: The same Taylor Mays who just gave up 284 yards and 15 catches to Antonio Brown on Sunday? Brown is good, but we cover him better than that. 

[Image: fail-like-this.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 12:37 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Anyone else makes a thread like this "You're a moron. The coaches know best and they haven't done it yet. Idiot. Stupid idea." - Fredtoast

There is certainly an argument for *everyone* being less hostile to each other. I don't mind threads with zany ideas. Some of them are obviously non-starters and responding with 'I disagree and here is the evidence why that wouldn't work' is fine. Occasionally you get a good idea. 

I'd use the same policy that I do with bar talk. A lot of dumb ideas get thrown around in a bar but so what? We're all friends, or supposed to be. And occasionally one of those ideas might turn out to be good after all or even get implemented someday and then you can be like 'shoot we thought of that years ago'. I'm sure in the 80s some guy was in a bar saying they should put the 2 pt conversion in pro-football and his friends were probably like, 'That's a terrible idea', yknow?

Reply/Quote