Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Is Even The Point?
(02-14-2023, 12:18 AM)Nepa Wrote: Not sure I want to get into this, but one of the announcers thought it should not have been called (and said it repeatedly) and one former ref said it was too ticky-tack to make it the deciding factor in the game. 

I think the complaint is that if you are letting the players play all game long -- and there were a lot of ticky-tack penalties not called all game long -- then why do it when it is the deciding factor? 

he said he wished it would not have been called at that time.. in the end it was could be called a hold.. does not matter when it was in the game.. the player which he admitted put himself in that position when he got beat on the move and let it to the ref .. some people act like that actually was the play to beat Philly but really Philly had already did that with their easy fumble for a TD in 1st half and even better terrible coverage to give KC ball at 5 yard line.  Refs were not flag happy in game and I thought KC was screwed more on losing a challenge.  

Finally it was not the deciding factor, the deciding factor was Philly not stopping KC after their score to tie game.. they had plenty of chances in that drive.. in the end KC was kicking a short FG to go ahead even without the call ...  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 12:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: he said he wished it would not have been called at that time.. in the end it was could be called a hold.. does not matter when it was in the game.. the player which he admitted put himself in that position when he got beat on the move and let it to the ref .. some people act like that actually was the play to beat Philly but really Philly had already did that with their easy fumble for a TD in 1st half and even better terrible coverage to give KC ball at 5 yard line.  Refs were not flag happy in game and I thought KC was screwed more on losing a challenge.  

Finally it was not the deciding factor, the deciding factor was Philly not stopping KC after their score to tie game.. they had plenty of chances in that drive.. in the end KC was kicking a short FG to go ahead even without the call ...  

Agree KC was going to get the 3 and take the lead anyway. Although it would have left almost a minute on the clock for Philly to try to answer as well. Now I don't think Philly would have driven the length of the field with no timeouts and scored to tie or take the lead and believe KC would have probably won regardless.

Yet its no given and it would have been a much more entertaining SB to watch if the Eagles had gotten that chance, stranger things have happened.  It was a weird game for me because never could decide who I wanted to win and just pulled for a good game and my SB square #'s (won 2 fiddy). Anyway felt I was treated to a great game up until that flag was thrown, which was nothing in my book and it tainted the whole thing suddenly. Almost felt like I had just wasted 3 hours watching since I had no dog in the fight anyway, luckily I was working and getting paid. 

Philly played better in first half and KC flipped the script and outplayed them in the 2nd half, but the difference to me was Andy Reid in this game. Mahomes is great but most of us could have completed the majority of those passes. Reid had the Philly defense so baffled with motion that the WR's were unbelievably wide open repeatedly. Hats off to Reid and Bieniemy for making it look easy against a great defense. 

Will not be tipping my hat to the refs though, that was ticky tacky in my book and tainted what could have been one of the greatest SB ever had they just let it play out.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 02:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree KC was going to get the 3 and take the lead anyway. Although it would have left almost a minute on the clock for Philly to try to answer as well. Now I don't think Philly would have driven the length of the field with no timeouts and scored to tie or take the lead and believe KC would have probably won regardless.

1 minute, 50 seconds or so. Penalty happened at 1:54 when it would have been an incompletion that would have stopped the clock, FG takes ~4 seconds.

1:40-1:50 is a ton of time to drive down the field. You can even still run the ball with that amount of time, so long as you hurry up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
That play was holding.  The player even admitted that it was holding.  I wish that they'd call that play holding each and every time.  The problem that I have is a complete lack of consistency.  You have scenarios like where the Legion of Boom would come out and brag about how they knew that the refs wouldn't call holding or PI on every play so they would intentionally go over the line multiple plays in a row.  You have stuff like Ryan Shazier being allowed to spear with the crown of his helmet or Aaron Donald being allowed to line up in the neutral zone for no reason.  Tom Brady would draw flags on legal sacks for no reason other than he was a fossil who was too old to be taking hits from pro football players.  The AFCCG and the Super Bowl barely registered on my fishiness meter.  Bad spot and sketchy intentional grounding and all.  People who watch this product ought to be used to it.  If the NFL wants to skew things one way or another in order to produce their desired outcome, they can do this legally with no recourse.    
Reply/Quote
Refs make mistakes. But, a game would be boring if every play got a flag. The offensive line holds all the time without getting called. The defense holds receivers all the time so I guess it evens out.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 12:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Finally it was not the deciding factor, the deciding factor was Philly not stopping KC after their score to tie game.. they had plenty of chances in that drive.. in the end KC was kicking a short FG to go ahead even without the call ...  

It was not THE deciding factor, but It was A deciding factor.

You’re really missing the point here. The refs have called a very ticky tack penalty in the last 2 BIGGEST games of the year, when they didn’t call those penalties ALL game in the last 2 super bowls. It’s inserting themselves in a game that should be decided by players. I, you, and everyone else see way worse not get called.

If that doesn’t get called, no one but Chiefs fans are talking about it, instead of the entire football world talking about it. it’s mind boggling that the issue is over so many heads.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1 minute, 50 seconds or so. Penalty happened at 1:54 when it would have been an incompletion that would have stopped the clock, FG takes ~4 seconds.

1:40-1:50 is a ton of time to drive down the field. You can even still run the ball with that amount of time, so long as you hurry up.

You're right and thats more time then I thought. Agree Philly could have scored, only said they probably would not score because they weren't doing much the whole half. but would have loved to have seen them get their chance with both teams pumped with adrenaline in the two minute drill with the game on the line instead of the refs just letting the air out of the game.

It was a big disappointment for me anyway and did not even care who won.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
And then there's this..... after the game, Roger Goodell giving Chris Jones a huge hug and telling him he doesn't care how he hits the QB..... all semblance of not wanting a certain team to win is totally out the window.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chiefs-star-chris-jones-interaction-roger-goodell-raises-eyebrows-super-bowl-celebration
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And then there's this..... after the game, Roger Goodell giving Chris Jones a huge hug and telling him he doesn't care how he hits the QB..... all semblance of not wanting a certain team to win is totally out the window.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chiefs-star-chris-jones-interaction-roger-goodell-raises-eyebrows-super-bowl-celebration

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2023, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The point is for the Bengals to be so far ahead in the fourth quarter that bullpoop calls don’t affect the outcome of the game.  That’s why I love it when the Bengals build a huge lead and dare the other team to take risks in order to catch up.

Rarely do teams win by a bunch in the playoffs. Everyone is good. The games are almost always close enough to be decided by a couple of well timed flags.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Joke or not, the commish of the league shouldn't be saying that. Tbh, I don't think it was a joke, and even if you think it was, what does that joke imply? To me it seems to imply that Roger is thrilled the Chiefs won.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone ever lose anymore? Or is everything jus rigged, stolen and cheated?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:27 PM)Destro Wrote: Does anyone ever lose anymore? Or is everything jus rigged, stolen and cheated?

No one is saying every game is influenced by refs. Almost no one is saying the league is scripted. The prevailing sentiment is this:

The league has (sometimes) preferred outcomes with the teams at the top. In this instance, the Chiefs. If the game is close enough, and there is opportunity to throw a flag that can produce the desired outcome, the league may instruct refs to do so.

Not every game, not every time. Also, not always the same team.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 02:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree KC was going to get the 3 and take the lead anyway. Although it would have left almost a minute on the clock for Philly to try to answer as well. Now I don't think Philly would have driven the length of the field with no timeouts and scored to tie or take the lead and believe KC would have probably won regardless.

Yet its no given and it would have been a much more entertaining SB to watch if the Eagles had gotten that chance, stranger things have happened.  It was a weird game for me because never could decide who I wanted to win and just pulled for a good game and my SB square #'s (won 2 fiddy). Anyway felt I was treated to a great game up until that flag was thrown, which was nothing in my book and it tainted the whole thing suddenly. Almost felt like I had just wasted 3 hours watching since I had no dog in the fight anyway, luckily I was working and getting paid. 

Philly played better in first half and KC flipped the script and outplayed them in the 2nd half, but the difference to me was Andy Reid in this game. Mahomes is great but most of us could have completed the majority of those passes. Reid had the Philly defense so baffled with motion that the WR's were unbelievably wide open repeatedly. Hats off to Reid and Bieniemy for making it look easy against a great defense. 

Will not be tipping my hat to the refs though, that was ticky tacky in my book and tainted what could have been one of the greatest SB ever had they just let it play out.   

If your a KC fan.. and they don;t throw the flag ,, then you are pissed.. Mahomes saw how he help up the WR... as soon as he threw it, he saw the hold.. and again when the player admits it.. that is not ticky tacky.. i hate the idea that a ref should call it different at different parts of the game... it was a hold just not a terrible one.. but still a hold by the rule
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Joke or not, the commish of the league shouldn't be saying that. Tbh, I don't think it was a joke, and even if you think it was, what does that joke imply? To me it seems to imply that Roger is thrilled the Chiefs won.

nope.. it stemmed from Jones calling Roger out early in the year.. people are way too over sensitive but that seems to be the culture today
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: nope.. it stemmed from Jones calling Roger out early in the year.. people are way too over sensitive but that seems to be the culture today

I don't see how this changes anything. The commissioner telling a player he doesn't care how he hits the QB is a bad look.

Also, the league has fed into that sensitive culture, but let's not dive into that rabbit hole.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty obvious from that, that the team Goodell wanted to win it won it.
Reply/Quote
It was kind of ticky tack but you could argue it was a hold. Not freaking out over that call.

We do need full time refs though for damn sure so these things do not happen near as often and especially in the big games.

In the big games they really need to let the players play and have the refs not be a focus much at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 03:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Now this is bogus for damn sure. GTFO Goodell... Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2023, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It was kind of ticky tack but you could argue it was a hold. Not freaking out over that call.

We do need full time refs though for damn sure so these things do not happen near as often and especially in the big games.

In the big games they really need to let the players play and have the refs not be a focus much at all.

It doesn't matter if it was a hold or not. What matters if the refs call a game loose for 58 minutes, then throw a ticky tack flag to skew the end of the game. Either be picky with the flags, or let them play, just don't change it with 2 minutes left in the game. They did the same thing last year to us.
Reply/Quote