Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What Others Are Saying About Last Night's Fiasco
Some of these people are folks who I have had lengthy intellectual discussions with about sports, history, politics, and religion. Some are Reds and Bengal fans, but others are just neutral and sports fans, in general. Thought it would be interesting to get thoughts from folks other than from this forum. I'll post a few interesting ones that I come across.

" 'Finger on the scale' does not mean the refs decided the game. It means their calls favored one team over another. That clearly happened in this game, throughout the entire game, but especially at the end.

I don’t know how you can watch that series at the end when the refs gave the Chiefs multiple chances at a third down and think the refs did their job. That was a blatant unfair officiating that I have ever seen.

You mentioned “some non-calls.” That is usually at the heart of the “finger on the scale.” Not calling clear penalties in crucial spots is an easy way to influence, though not decide, a game. No one notices until maybe after the game, so it gets glossed over and forgotten.

Many things decided tonight’s game, but I can’t believe an objective observer could watch this game and not think that something was off, that the refs were favoring the Chiefs over the Bengals. As I pointed out in another thread, this was trending on Twitter after the game, and most of the posts were not from Bengal fans.

From a different poster:

"People need to accept that with anything in life... Anything at all... that involves an insane amount of money, and especially when it also involves gambling... It's going to be "influenced", if not rigged entirely.

And it's not going to be influenced in your favor. These are clubs that we are not members of, lol

It was an entertaining season. Like a night at the ole blackjack table. Lots of fun and just kind of fell apart at the end there. How unique."
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
"I think officiating in the NFL is a difficult job. There are a ton of bang bang plays that are difficult to call in real time. That said, if there was ever a way to "fix" a game, that would pretty much be the template.

I get the whole angle that Burrow had the ball with a chance to win with 2+ minutes left. (And FWIW I think Taylor errored in calling an early TO, not bleeding more time off the clock.) But it didn't appear that he was given the same luxuries that Mahomes was given. There should have been a roughing the passer called early in the drive. The grounding call I thought was a 50/50 call, that you would hope in that situation the refs would have left it as a no call.

The final drive is what it is, it looked like there was a block in the back on the return. I also think if that isn't Mahomes there isn't a late hit called (IMO he did one heck of a sell job.)

As for the multiple third down plays, the NFL is in the ear of the official (or all the officials) at all times. Someone should have seen the clock and notified the head official to blow the play dead ASAP. Letting it go only to reverse it after the play had elapsed and both team sent their special teams units on the field was imcompetent.

I realize that most of Bengals twitter was up in arms, and I get it. But a lot of the national guys I follow were also questioning the officiating. Not a good look for the league, but at the end of the day its the Kelsey Brothers, Reid playing against Philly, the first SB with two black starting QB's. The NFL doesn't look back, they just look forward.

I don't know what the head official should be required to do. But it seems to me that he should face a little more scrutiny than one reporter asking questions. When you rightfully or not make calls that play a large role in determining the outcome of the game, you should answer questions. Even if its just "it was a judgement play and that is what we saw" at least you would own up to the calls."
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
"Who's talking to those refs in those headsets they wear? Think about it, games are influenced."

and another:

"I've said for the past 30 years that the games are not totally on the up and up, not with the players and the teams, but with the league and the refs. The NFL wants specific matchups, for ratings and money, and they are not above using the officiating to put a finger on the scale."
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
" If I thought the NFL was like pro wrestling, I wouldn't watch. I don't think it's scripted.

I do think that there are people in positions of influence that alter the integrity of the game from time to time.

One example I used was a WR dropping the first pass thrown to him on purpose, and then 2 days later he has 3 million magically deposited in an offshore account.

I have little doubt that stuff like that happens.

I also think the NFL steers things toward narratives.

Too much money is involved for it to be 100 % authentic."
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Here's some things other people are saying.

"Scharping - 9 total pressures, 2 sacks. 23.7 pass block grade

Adeniji - 7 total pressures, 3 sacks. 38.0 pass block grade"

"Per PFF, Burrow under pressure on 43% of his dropbacks yesterday, despite an overall average time to throw of just 2.64 seconds"
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:56 PM)TheFan Wrote: Here's some things other people are saying.

"Per PFF, Burrow under pressure on 43% of his dropbacks yesterday, despite an overall average time to throw of just 2.64 seconds"

YUP

You can go on and on about bad calls, no calls, missed calls and blah, blah, blah. But the reason we lost the game was because the Oline didn't get off the bus.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

All very legitimate points. Thing is, this and the other points are not mutually exclusive. They can all have validity.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote

A lot of people are saying we didn't play well enough to win.... Many people are saying that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: YUP

You can go on and on about bad calls, no calls, missed calls and blah, blah, blah. But the reason we lost the game was because the Oline didn't get off the bus.

But , if Roger the Dodger hadn't been in the ear of his zebras, we still win with the" short bus" offensive linemen
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:06 PM)jason Wrote: A lot of people are saying we didn't play well enough to win.... Many people are saying that.

Doesn't make the shady league and ref points any less valid, though.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Funny to me how ,otherwise, smart ,logical people can believe 100% there is a bearded, old guy out in space somewhere(with ZERO evidence) that's eagerly waiting to welcome them to a heavenly paradise, but refuse to consider even the possibility that NFL officials , at the bequest of league execs sometime influence game outcomes. Incredible. Seriously, which is far more likely to be true?
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:06 PM)jason Wrote: A lot of people are saying we didn't play well enough to win.... Many people are saying that.

So KC didn’t play a stellar game either then right? Yet KC benefited from the horrible calls and everyone says you got to make your own breaks.  I guess unless you are KC then you can benefit from horrible calls. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: But , if Roger the Dodger hadn't been in the ear of his zebras, we still win with the" short bus" offensive linemen

This is such BS. The Ossai call was legit. The 3rd down redo was also correct. The PI was correct. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 05:18 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Funny to me how ,otherwise, smart ,logical people can believe 100% there is a bearded, old guy out in space somewhere(with ZERO evidence) that's eagerly waiting to welcome them to a heavenly paradise, but refuse to consider even the possibility that NFL officials , at the bequest of league execs sometime influence game outcomes. Incredible. Seriously, which is far more likely to be true?

Not to get in an afterlife discussion but to say there is no evidence is just ignorant. Look in the mirror and you will see evidence. That didn’t happen by accident. As far as the refs go, I don’t think they are throwing the game. If you want to talk about evidence, there is more evidence of an intelligent designer then there are refs throwing games. But like anything in life, show me the proof. I gave you my proof of a higher power now give me your proof of the refs throwing games. Do you have a paper trail or audio?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:14 PM)Chili power Wrote: Not to get in an afterlife discussion but to say there is no evidence is just ignorant. Look in the mirror and you will see evidence. That didn’t happen by accident.  As far as the refs go, I don’t think they are throwing the game. If you want to talk about evidence, there is more evidence of an intelligent designer then there are refs throwing games. But like anything in life, show me the proof. I gave  you my proof of a higher power now give me your proof of the refs throwing games. Do you have a paper trail or audio?

That is not evidence of anything. ZERO!!! You have fables... nothing else. Now.. back to football.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:14 PM)Chili power Wrote: Not to get in an afterlife discussion but to say there is no evidence is just ignorant. Look in the mirror and you will see evidence. That didn’t happen by accident.  As far as the refs go, I don’t think they are throwing the game. If you want to talk about evidence, there is more evidence of an intelligent designer then there are refs throwing games. But like anything in life, show me the proof. I gave  you my proof of a higher power now give me your proof of the refs throwing games. Do you have a paper trail or audio?

Evidence? Proof? It's literally called faith, not facts. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:37 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Evidence? Proof? It's literally called faith, not facts. 

Convenient that such a profound belief requires no evidence... only "faith." I believe it much more likely the NFL tips he scale of some games than it is that there is a mysterious space daddy awaiting you when he deems its time for you to hang up your cleats for good. Man created God, not the other way around.  Football  is the far less dangerous of Man's creations.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:34 PM)fisherscatfan Wrote: So KC didn’t play a stellar game either then right? Yet KC benefited from the horrible calls and everyone says you got to make your own breaks.  I guess unless you are KC then you can benefit from horrible calls. 

The call that put them in easy FG range was correct. We benefitted from not having to use a challenge when they immediately overturned a play. Was it a poorly officiated game? Yup... But we didn't make enough plays to win. KC played better than us. I feel like it's that simple.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:56 PM)jason Wrote: The call that put them in easy FG range was correct. We benefitted from not having to use a challenge when they immediately overturned a play. Was it a poorly officiated game? Yup... But we didn't make enough plays to win. KC played better than us. I feel like it's that simple.

Never have I questioned the Ossai call. I do question on the no-call on Burrow for roughing and the no call on the late hit on Mixon.

Ok. So it was 20-20. Bengals punt, block in the back call not made allows for a big return. Mahomes has a very similar to Burrow’s grounding call not made. On Mahomes run two holding calls not made. If any of those calls are made, becomes much more difficult on the Chiefs. So did the Chiefs really make the plays or did they get the benefit of bad calls-not the roughing-to put them in position to get the win? 

Sure Burrow could have thrown for two more TDS and won the game but didnt. But did the Chiefs really make the plays or were they helped? If you think the Chiefs made the plays fine. I feel they were helped. The promoted story lines of 1st SB with 2 AA QBs, Reid going up against his old team, Kelce brothers sure don’t down play the thought the NFL influenced this outcome.
Reply/Quote
Person I dislike said:
"Chiefs had more yards, far more passing yards, more first downs, more yards per play, allowed fewer sacks, had fewer turnovers, won time of possession but yea, it was the refs. Damn refs. Always against the Bengals."
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote