Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Percentage of the GOP Know When America Was great?
And what that even means....

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Interesting when they call people out on revisionist history and realize we have always had major issues in the country. By the way the "break a few pieces of China" comment was hilarious.
Is that last guy they talk to (from 1:25 or so onward) the late, great Gordon Solie?

[Image: untitled-article-1438095685-body-image-1...quality=75]

On a related note, stuff like this exposes the frighteningly generic nature of our political popularity contests. When I think of all the trials this life throws at the everyday person that require MORE thought, effort, and evidence than the promises and statements made when running for president I get all laughy-terrified.

I wish I could go back in time and be on The Apprentice and while Trump is grilling me about why I'd be an asset to his great company (I assume that's what the show is about...I never saw it) I'd just keep saying: I'm going to be the best employee. The greatest. Your company hasn't had an employee like me. The best. Big differences. Big deals. Big things. Big changes will happen. I'll make your company great again. Greatest it's ever been. We're gonna win if you pick me.

I wonder if he'd actually ask for some sort of explanation or something. Oy, this whole thing is so open-ended and vague that it is practically meaningless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-28-2016, 11:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Is that last guy they talk to (from 1:25 or so onward) the late, great Gordon Solie?

[Image: untitled-article-1438095685-body-image-1...quality=75]

On a related note, stuff like this exposes the frighteningly generic nature of our political popularity contests.  When I think of all the trials this life throws at the everyday person that require MORE thought, effort, and evidence than the promises and statements made when running for president I get all laughy-terrified.

I wish I could go back in time and be on The Apprentice and while Trump is grilling me about why I'd be an asset to his great company (I assume that's what the show is about...I never saw it) I'd just keep saying:  I'm going to be the best employee. The greatest.  Your company hasn't had an employee like me.  The best.  Big differences.  Big deals.  Big things.  Big changes will happen.  I'll make your company great again.  Greatest it's ever been.  We're gonna win if you pick me.

I wonder if he'd actually ask for some sort of explanation or something.  Oy, this whole thing is so open-ended and vague that it is practically meaningless.

Best interviewer in the business!

Although I do love Jerry Lawler as a color guy.  Lawler's autobiography was fantastic too.

OT:  Trump would have loved it because he thinks what he says is the absolute best and you sounded just like him!   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-28-2016, 11:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: Interesting when they call people out on revisionist history and realize we have always had major issues in the country. By the way the "break a few pieces of China" comment was hilarious.

There are always major issues with every country, with every town, with every large group of people.  That's part of the human condition. 

And we're still a young country, one that has come farther in 240 years than countries that have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.

America is still great but it's because of the people.  And I don't mean the people in charge.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(07-28-2016, 11:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: And what that even means....

It means about the same as "Hope and Change".  Nothing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

The 90s were pretty great. Technological advancement really kicked off. Elected officials actually compromised to get things done. Mark Whalberg was a rapper. etc.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
1700's, when the person elected was the person with the best/most liquor!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-28-2016, 03:26 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The 90s were pretty great. Technological advancement really kicked off. Elected officials actually compromised to get things done. Mark Whalberg was a rapper. etc.

Well yea, but I assume most Trump supporters wouldn't think of 8 years of Clinton as "great" regardless of what was going on.  Seems they romanticize the Regan or Eisenhower years, though I have to admit people saying America was great when we had slavery, women were second class citizens, and people died of the simplest diseases makes me wonder why Trump's supporters don't just run off an join an Amish sect.

no taxes
patriarchal society
no abortion/divorce/homosexuality tolerated...er, I think
religion plays a central role in daily life
strong work ethic
family values
disdain for education and "worldliness"
country over the city
get to have sex with horses
I'd like to hear The Donald answer this. America has had many great moments from slaves being emancipated to the VE & VJ Days to landing on the moon to the first drive-thru. But outside of the 90's before 9-11, there probably isn't a good period in American history without some negative social injustice occurring on a wide scale. And even the 90's there were a lot less gay rights than there are now, but at least it was becoming more socially acceptable then as opposed to previous decades.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-28-2016, 11:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I wish I could go back in time and be on The Apprentice and while Trump is grilling me about why I'd be an asset to his great company (I assume that's what the show is about...I never saw it) I'd just keep saying:  I'm going to be the best employee. The greatest.  Your company hasn't had an employee like me.  The best.  Big differences.  Big deals.  Big things.  Big changes will happen.  I'll make your company great again.  Greatest it's ever been.  We're gonna win if you pick me.

I wonder if he'd actually ask for some sort of explanation or something.  Oy, this whole thing is so open-ended and vague that it is practically meaningless.

I've known guys like that. One of the funniest was this guy in charge of a marketing company that had been bought by a company I worked for. I didn't work in that division, but we were both owned by the same company and were merging some of our graphic design and other services. Anyway, the guy lasted about 6 months. Whenever someone asked him about a project, he delegated. Whenever someone asked him how he wanted things set up, he would answer something along the lines of "I'm a big picture guy. You can't worry about details, just focus on the big picture. Come up with the ideas, we'll work out implementing them later."

The merger of departments had to get pushed back four months or so because nobody had any direction, around 100 people were just sitting around that whole waiting for someone to tell them what to do. The idiot's supervisors had all adopted the same attitude.
(07-28-2016, 04:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I'd like to hear The Donald answer this. America has had many great moments from slaves being emancipated to the VE & VJ Days to landing on the moon to the first drive-thru. But outside of the 90's before 9-11, there probably isn't a good period in American history without some negative social injustice occurring on a wide scale. And even the 90's there were a lot less gay rights than there are now, but at least it was becoming more socially acceptable then as opposed to previous decades.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm getting hyperbolic here, but stuff like this (saying America was great during periods when things were very "not great" for people who aren't straight white males) is what makes the party's detractors look right.
(07-28-2016, 05:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I have to admit I'm getting hyperbolic here, but stuff like this (saying America was great during periods when things were very "not great" for people who aren't straight white males) is what makes the party's detractors look right.

Well damn the libs always like to point to the 50s and 60s when taxes were high and unions were strong, and oh yeah we had Jim Crowe laws, and segregation, and you know, things weren't great for non-straight white males.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-28-2016, 04:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well yea, but I assume most Trump supporters wouldn't think of 8 years of Clinton as "great" regardless of what was going on.  Seems they romanticize the Regan or Eisenhower years, though I have to admit people saying America was great when we had slavery, women were second class citizens, and people died of the simplest diseases makes me wonder why Trump's supporters don't just run off an join an Amish sect.

no taxes
patriarchal society
no abortion/divorce/homosexuality tolerated...er, I think
religion plays a central role in daily life
strong work ethic
family values
disdain for education and "worldliness"
country over the city
get to have sex with horses

I live around Amish.
As I've mentioned before,  Little Wayne from Amish Mafia runs around here (plays softball, bowls).
Most of the list is true.

no taxes 
(Pretty sure they pay sales tax)

patriarchal society
(True, but many of the men are quite meek)

no abortion/divorce (I think divorce exists in extreme circumstances. Say like the wife is caught cheating and booted out of the community. Men are rarely caught cheating) 

homosexuality tolerated...er, I think (all sexuality is closeted, so don't ask/don't tell)

religion plays a central role in daily life (definitely, until the young ones sneak into town with a change of clothes, to drink up)

strong work ethic (this is most definite)

family values (another definate, but father's do not seem to interact much with children. They take more interest in the boys, as they reach an age where they can carry a heavier workload and expand their skill sets)

disdain for education and "worldliness" (no disdain for education, except maybe higher than 8th grade level, and they think it unnecessary. Also, most of them have cell phones and use generators to power their homes)

country over the city (yep, just chauffeured to town in vans, known as Yoder-toters, to buy groceries)

get to have sex with horses (or any other animals they can get to cooperate. They don't "out" anyone, but admit it happens often)
Could be worse. You could be an Amish horse Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-28-2016, 07:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I live around Amish.
As I've mentioned before,  Little Wayne from Amish Mafia runs around here (plays softball, bowls).
Most of the list is true.

no taxes 
(Pretty sure they pay sales tax)

patriarchal society
(True, but many of the men are quite meek)

no abortion/divorce (I think divorce exists in extreme circumstances. Say like the wife is caught cheating and booted out of the community. Men are rarely caught cheating) 

homosexuality tolerated...er, I think (all sexuality is closeted, so don't ask/don't tell)

religion plays a central role in daily life (definitely, until the young ones sneak into town with a change of clothes, to drink up)

strong work ethic (this is most definite)

family values (another definate, but father's do not seem to interact much with children. They take more interest in the boys, as they reach an age where they can carry a heavier workload and expand their skill sets)

disdain for education and "worldliness" (no disdain for education, except maybe higher than 8th grade level, and they think it unnecessary. Also, most of them have cell phones and use generators to power their homes)

country over the city (yep, just chauffeured to town in vans, known as Yoder-toters, to buy groceries)

get to have sex with horses (or any other animals they can get to cooperate. They don't "out" anyone, but admit it happens often)

Agree with some of what you say there, but question much about the Amish.  From personal observation, they skirt the laws to the limits, when it comes to maintaining the requirements for that tax free status.  They pay the citizen next door to drive the van, that is Amish owned, to drive them to jobsites where they use power tools, to do the same jobs as tax paying citizens, using unpaid child labor, paying no taxes, and undercutting the price of the tax paying tradesmen to do so.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-28-2016, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree with some of what you say there, but question much about the Amish.  From personal observation, they skirt the laws to the limits, when it comes to maintaining the requirements for that tax free status.  They pay the citizen next door to drive the van, that is Amish owned, to drive them to jobsites where they use power tools, to do the same jobs as tax paying citizens, using unpaid child labor, paying no taxes, and undercutting the price of the tax paying tradesmen to do so.

They do undercut, due to being paid in cash and avoiding any income tax.
There are quite a few that work in lumber mills, around here.
I think they are required to pay income tax and social security.
But yes, they do a lot that you mention.

Oh... most of the vans around here are owned by the driver.
(07-28-2016, 05:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well damn the libs always like to point to the 50s and 60s when taxes were high and unions were strong, and oh yeah we had Jim Crowe laws, and segregation, and you know, things weren't great for non-straight white males.
I was under the impression that liberals were all excited over the here 'n' now since gays can marry and bathrooms are fair game for cross-dressing rapists.  I guess they DO like to point out how awesome Woodstock was, though.
(07-28-2016, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: and undercutting the price of the tax paying tradesmen to do so.

My wife has bought many a piece of Amish furniture.....They don't undercut anyone on price there haha.
(07-29-2016, 09:11 AM)Au165 Wrote: My wife has bought many a piece of Amish furniture.....They don't undercut anyone on price there haha.

That's why it's nice to have the family connections. LOL

Conversing with them in German helps too, I've tried that some recently. Doch spreche ich Deutsch schlecht.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR