Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Pollack wants in OL
James Rapien asked Pollack what he's looking for in free agent OL.

So expect the Bengals to go after guys who are athletic, can move, and succeed in wide zone.

Expect Pollack to also look for this in the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: James Rapien asked Pollack what he's looking for in free agent OL.

So expect the Bengals to go after guys who are athletic, can move, and succeed in wide zone.

Any examples you got of FA OL that would fit this mold?
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Let's see off the top of my head...

Tyler Linderbaum
Trevor Penning
Kenyon Green
Zion Johnson
Nicholas Petit-Frere
Tyler Smith
Bernhard Raimann
Dylan Parham
Rasheed Walker
Jamaree Salyer
Darian Kinnard
Dohnovan West
Max Mitchell
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 07:04 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: Any examples you got of FA OL that would fit this mold?

James Daniels
Austin Corbett
Morgan Moses (was able to succeed in similar Jets scheme last year)
Brian Allen (succeeded in Sean McVay's wide zone scheme)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 07:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: James Daniels
Austin Corbett

Trent Brown did some outside zone for the Raiders but he is better in New England.

Edit: Laken Tomlinson and Ben Jones also.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
My OL preferences. No development picks, especially at RT. I don’t think there are any at 31 who are year 1 starters. I would emphasize JB’s needs over JM’s need but favoring zone specific (that totally leaves out Bozeman). And 3 mostly affordable FA. This is the Bengals, we most assuredly aren’t going after (other than simply for optics) for Armstead, Scherff and probably Jensen as well (with Marpet unexpected retirement TB might keep him. Not the Bengals way. That leaves:
Johan at LT
Norwell at LG (affordable- better pass blocker than Spain)
James Daniels at C (I originally liked him over Price anyway)
Zion Johnson, Carman or Smith at RG
Morgan Moses at RT.

This is more of a realistic scenario IMO.

Feed The Cats
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 07:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Let's see off the top of my head...

Tyler Linderbaum
Trevor Penning
Kenyon Green
Zion Johnson
Nicholas Petit-Frere
Tyler Smith
Bernhard Raimann
Dylan Parham
Rasheed Walker
Jamaree Salyer
Darian Kinnard
Dohnovan West
Max Mitchell

Nicely done right off the top of your head Synric.  Cool

(03-02-2022, 07:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: James Daniels
Austin Corbett

Love Brian Allen's run blocking, but he leaves some to be desired in pass protection.

Still would be happy if we brought him in over Hopkins who is just not as good as Allen overall.

As you know would love if we brought in the top 3, that would do it right there. That opens up the Draft with Daniels, Corbett
and Moses. Daniels as we know can play Center and all the interior positions. Carman, D'Ante, Hill can develop behind the studs.

(03-02-2022, 07:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Trent Brown did some outside zone for the Raiders but he is better in New England.

Edit: Laken Tomlinson and Ben Jones also.

Good stuff, guess this takes Bozeman and Jensen out of the picture who are more maulers.

So lets get this straight. Pollack wants Glass Eating athletic O-lineman lol

(03-02-2022, 07:36 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: My OL preferences.  No development picks, especially at RT.  I don’t think there are any at 31 who are year 1 starters.  I would emphasize JB’s needs over JM’s need but favoring zone specific (that totally leaves out Bozeman). And 3 mostly affordable FA.  This is the Bengals, we most assuredly aren’t going after (other than simply for optics) for Armstead, Scherff and probably Jensen as well (with Marpet unexpected retirement TB might keep him.  Not the Bengals way.  That leaves:
Johan at LT
Morgan Moses at RT.  

Feed The Cats

Would love it Coach. Does Norwell fit the athletic wide zone mold though like say a Laken Tomlinson would?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 07:36 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: My OL preferences.  No development picks, especially at RT.  I don’t think there are any at 31 who are year 1 starters.  I would emphasize JB’s needs over JM’s need but favoring zone specific (that totally leaves out Bozeman). And 3 mostly affordable FA.  This is the Bengals, we most assuredly aren’t going after (other than simply for optics) for Armstead, Scherff and probably Jensen as well (with Marpet unexpected retirement TB might keep him.  Not the Bengals way.  That leaves:
Johan at LT
Morgan Moses at RT.  

Feed The Cats

Norwell.............$7.5 million
Moses...............$7.5 million 
James Daniels...$10 million

That won't work unless they push payday down the road (not a good idea) or else they release Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Norwell.............$7.5 million
Moses...............$7.5 million 
James Daniels...$10 million

That won't work unless they push payday down the road (not a good idea) or else they release Hopkins.

Release Hopkins. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: James Rapien asked Pollack what he's looking for in free agent OL.

Like I’ve said 100 times on here this month alone. If he’s available they will draft Bernhard Raimann OT from Cent Michigan at #31. They will sign a top FA center and mid priced athletic guard. I expect Hopkins to get a hard look at guard
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Like I’ve said 100 times on here this month alone. If he’s available they will draft Bernhard Raimann OT from Cent Michigan at #31. They will sign a top FA center and mid priced athletic guard. I expect Hopkins to get a hard look at guard

Is this based on your belief in the player or are you claiming to have some inside information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Like I’ve said 100 times on here this month alone. If he’s available they will draft Bernhard Raimann OT from Cent Michigan at #31. They will sign a top FA center and mid priced athletic guard. I expect Hopkins to get a hard look at guard

Not the solution at RT. Raimann might not even start over Prince this season...

Bring in Morgan Moses or Trent Brown than I would be alright with drafting Raimann to develop behind one of them.
Reply/Quote

I'm nervous if Raimann is selected. There better be a proven veteran in place for a couple years to allow him time to groom.
Just two years ago, Raimann was playing TE. Very limited experience playing OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm nervous if Raimann is selected. There better be a proven veteran in place for a couple years to allow him time to groom.
Just two years ago, Raimann was playing TE. Very limited experience playing OL.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not the solution at RT. Raimann might not even start over Prince this season...

Bring in Morgan Moses or Trent Brown than I would be alright with drafting Raimann to develop behind one of them.

Understdable and why Reiff will be resigned. Before he got hurt ( that counts the two games he played hurt) Reiff’s PFF grade was top 15. But as far as Raimman he’s ridiculously athletic. You need to read up on Lane Johnson of the eagles. Same deal. Raimman is the best OT prospect in years. Top Free Agent tackles are 20 million. They’ve got to develop one and the new OL assistant coached Raimann. They are crossing their fingers he’s there.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 08:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly.

PFF TOP-10 PICK
As crazy as it is to say for a guy who's played the position for two years, Raimann's tape is the most polished of any tackle in the draft. REVIEW
Where he wins: Hands
Raimann still moves around the football field like a tight end, but those hands that used to catch passes now catch defensive linemen. His hand placement in the run game is already outstanding.

What's his role: Left Tackle
Raimann is a Day 1 starting left tackle in the NFL. He may be new to the position, but I wouldn't classify him as a project.

What can he Improve: Size
He's nowhere near as physically dominant as others in the tackle class. He needs to continue to fill out his frame.

SHADES OF
Lane Johnson
PROS
He can fly. One heck of an athlete for the position.
He's only been playing OT for two years! Started his career at tight end.
Slim but not weak. Play strength is fantastic for his size.
CONS
Arm length is on the low end for the position, barely hitting 33-inch cutoff.
Grade pumped up by low competition level; although, he did face LSU and Missouri.
Has put on 60 pounds in two years but still could stand to pack on mass.
POSITION TRAITS
Balance
Level 10 of 10
10 / 10
Strength
Level 7 of 10
7 / 10
Explosiveness
Level 9 of 10
9 / 10
Frame
Level 5 of 10
5 / 10
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 09:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Understdable and why Reiff will be resigned. Before he got hurt ( that counts the two games he played hurt) Reiff’s PFF grade was top 15. But as far as Raimman he’s ridiculously athletic. You need to read up on Lane Johnson of the eagles. Same deal. Raimman is the best OT prospect in years. Top  Free Agent tackles are 20 million. They’ve got to develop one and the new OL assistant coached Raimann. They are crossing their fingers he’s there.

Have been hearing rumors of Reiff retiring cause he has a degenerative issue in his ankle. Will need someone else in 
front of Raimann if this is the case. Not saying Raimann isn't talented, he sure is. Just don't want him starting as a 
rookie at RT, hardly ever works out well for OT's just starting right off the bat. 

Moses, Armstead, Trent Brown or even Duane Brown would be needed. I don't know if Duane Brown fits what Pollack
wants though as he doesn't look very athletic and he is pretty dang old at 36.

(03-02-2022, 09:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: PFF TOP-10 PICK
As crazy as it is to say for a guy who's played the position for two years, Raimann's tape is the most polished of any tackle in the draft.

He also played against lowly competition. But I do like the guy to develop no question.
Reply/Quote
I feel like our best bet (and most realistic idea) is to solidify one of the guard spots and the RT spot in FA. That leaves Hopkins at Center. As much as I feel we can upgrade at C, I don't know if I'm sold on the Bengals feeling the same way. We would enter the draft with one of the guard spots open. Some say that's Carman's spot to lose, but if there is a solid, day 1 starting guard at 31, you take him. Let Carman earn that guard spot.

If the Bengals weren't sold on Carman last season to start him when Burrow was getting annihilated, then why should anyone be sold on him going into 2022? It wouldn't be bad if we did draft a guard at 31 and Carman pans out. Depth, depth, depth!

Reply/Quote
Raimann would piss me off. If we take OL at 31, he better be starting.

Reply/Quote
I'd take Tomlinson and Daniels
Reply/Quote