Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Pollack wants in OL
(03-05-2022, 09:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Anything is possible after that fiasco EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER WITNESSED IN THE BIGGEST GAME OF ALL. Mellow

The O-line sticks out to everyone as the reason we lost, we were clearly the better team in all the other aspects as we only lost
by 3 with a bad O-line being completely outmatched. Sounds like cutting Hop is a definite possibility so need to add a Center, that
is 1 new OL, Adeniji sucks, that is 2 new OL, Prince is a backup, that is 3, Carman might not be ready, that could be 4.

Williams and Hopkins are under contract. They need a LG and RT right now which is a minimum of two. Plugging Carman in at RG hoping he will be improved after one season and his back stops bothering him is a mistake. They need a Plan B which ain’t Adeniji. They will need a third via FA or the draft to compete for that position. Out of the starters, Hopkins graded out as the worst. He can be upgraded by releasing him and apply his salary to his replacement.

The Bengals have a 3 year window before Burrow’s 5th year option ends and he signs his second contract. Now is the time they can afford to improve the line to take advantage of the window.
Reply/Quote
Ah, yes. The push for our OL to just be average! We'd take 15th in the league right?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:22 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Ah, yes.  The push for our OL to just be average!  We'd take 15th in the league right?

As opposed to the push for us to have an All-Pro at every position?

At some point you have to face reality.  No team can afford that.  If Burrow needs the top O-line in the league to be effective with tools around him like Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Uzo then we either need some different offensive coaches.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 02:36 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Williams and Hopkins are under contract. They need a LG and RT right now which is a minimum of two. Plugging Carman in at RG hoping he will be improved after one season and his back stops bothering him is a mistake. They need a Plan B which ain’t Adeniji. They will need a third via FA or the draft to compete for that position. Out of the starters, Hopkins graded out as the worst. He can be upgraded by releasing him and apply his salary to his replacement.

The Bengals have a 3 year window before Burrow’s 5th year option ends and he signs his second contract. Now is the time they can afford to improve the line to take advantage of the window.

Thank you on Carman! I see fans saying what next year's line is and they pencil him in as a starter...and replace Hopkins and Spain.

We need to fix RG and RT, then if we can upgrade other spots...we do it.

There's a high percentage chance Carman doesn't turn into a start able Guard in 1 offseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As opposed to the push for us to have an All-Pro at every position?

At some point you have to face reality.  No team can afford that.  If Burrow needs the top O-line in the league to be effective with tools around him like Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, and Uzo then we either need some different offensive coaches.

Exactly my point.  We'd take average.   Nervous
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
To be fair Quinton Spain had a really good year until the playoffs... which he was likely playing hurt.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 02:36 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Williams and Hopkins are under contract. They need a LG and RT right now which is a minimum of two. Plugging Carman in at RG hoping he will be improved after one season and his back stops bothering him is a mistake. They need a Plan B which ain’t Adeniji. They will need a third via FA or the draft to compete for that position. Out of the starters, Hopkins graded out as the worst. He can be upgraded by releasing him and apply his salary to his replacement.

No doubt. Great post, now is the time to solidify the the OL and we can afford it unlike some here are acting.

We don't need All Pros at every position on the OL but we need to upgrade every position which isn't hard to do with the Free
Agents that will be available, our cap space situation and the fact Burrow raises eyebrows for every FA OL out there. I am higher
on Carman than most though and think he could man the LG position better than RG where he seems uncomfortable.

New Center, RG and RT is what we need and there are tons of options to get it done. No excuses.

(03-06-2022, 01:14 PM)Synric Wrote: To be fair Quinton Spain had a really good year until the playoffs... which he was likely playing hurt.

Is this true? If so I am for bringing Spain back as he has an excuse for his poor play in the Playoffs and SB it makes sense.

Still, if Spain was playing hurt they should of put Carman in if he was healthier.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. Great post, now is the time to solidify the the OL and we can afford it unlike some here are acting.

We don't need All Pros at every position on the OL but we need to upgrade every position which isn't hard to do with the Free
Agents that will be available, our cap space situation and the fact Burrow raises eyebrows for every FA OL out there. I am higher
on Carman than most though and think he could man the LG position better than RG where he seems uncomfortable.

New Center, RG and RT is what we need and there are tons of options to get it done. No excuses.

Is this true? If so I am for bringing Spain back as he has an excuse for his poor play in the Playoffs and SB it makes sense.

Still, if Spain was playing hurt they should of put Carman in if he was healthier.
Spain needs to be depth they need to move Carman to LG so they can see what they have. They should have left Carman on his natural left side to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. Great post, now is the time to solidify the the OL and we can afford it unlike some here are acting.

People forget Spain was carted off the field in week 17. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 04:26 PM)pulses Wrote: Spain needs to be depth they need to move Carman to LG so they can see what they have. They should have left Carman on his natural left side to begin with.

Spain would be a pretty expensive depth piece.

(03-06-2022, 04:31 PM)Synric Wrote: People forget Spain was carted off the field in week 17. 

True and Carman filled in for him admirably. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As opposed to the push for us to have an All-Pro at every position?

This offense could be considerably better if they could just run the ball. Mixon is a great open field runner and at Oklahoma I read is like one of their best ever at touches to TD’s. He’s got great hands. If teams are going to defend us rushing 3 and dropping 8 we are going to have to run the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 12:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Thank you on Carman! I see fans saying what next year's line is and they pencil him in as a starter...and replace Hopkins and Spain.

We need to fix RG and RT, then if we can upgrade other spots...we do it.

There's a high percentage chance Carman doesn't turn into a start able Guard in 1 offseason.

Carman probably gonna be better at LG than RG, TBH.
At least he was this past season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman probably gonna be better at LG than RG, TBH.

I agree. If the plan is let Carman develop and eventually take over one of the guard spots, it should be on the left side, his natural side. I agree he was way better at LG than at RG. I really want Corbett for RG.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2022, 08:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman probably gonna be better at LG than RG, TBH.

Probably right.  I think his size can distract from the fact that he moves extremely well.  I specifically remember a play at Clemson where it almost looked comical seeing him trucking down the field looking for defenders to block with the active play.  Aside from health, most of his issues are technical that you hope can be cleaned up.  One of the more frustrating being that he seems to be on the ground at some point of every play (even on plays he blocks his assignment well).   Trevor Penning has this issue at times too, although his seems to be more tied to overextension, while Carman's seems to be stance/footwork squaring.   
Reply/Quote
Carman is going to have to find his passion for the NFL. Taylor talks about players loving to come to work. Love coming to the building. Really wanting to get better. The OL outside a few guys is missing some of that. That’s what’s transitioned this team with other position groups. I don’t know specifically who they are. I just know that to be the case. And that doesn’t mean all of them either. But the comment has been made a few are just collecting checks. Just doing what’s required.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 11:26 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Carman is going to have to find his passion for the NFL. Taylor talks about players loving to come to work. Love coming to the building. Really wanting to get better. The OL outside a few guys is missing some of that. That’s what’s transitioned this team with other position groups. I don’t know specifically who they are. I just know that to be the case. And that doesn’t mean all of them either. But the comment has been made a few are just collecting checks. Just doing what’s required.

Sounds like a pretty scathing indictment if true. aka Not putting in the work.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sounds like a pretty scathing indictment if true. aka Not putting in the work.

I'd be really curious who would actually be not trying vs just not being good.
It's not like there's a lot of good talent on the OL that the Bengals can excuse someone not putting in effort.
As such, I actually don't believe it's due to lack of passion. I think it's more due to lack of skill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be really curious who would actually be not trying vs just not being good.
It's not like there's a lot of good talent on the OL that the Bengals can excuse someone not putting in effort.
As such, I actually don't believe it's due to lack of passion. I think it's more due to lack of skill.

I tend to agree here.   I certainly could've entertained this idea/indictment on Cordy Glenn, but I think they just aren't that good, relatively speaking. 
Reply/Quote
The only ways Spain doesn't come back are another team outbids us or his injury is worse than currently assumed. Jonah is set at LT.

The big problem spots are RT and RG. Under no circumstances should we even think about another horrifying stint of Adeniji at RG. Fix RT and RG with proven NFL starter quality Free Agents then you can think about things like Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd be really curious who would actually be not trying vs just not being good.

I wonder if it's a case of this: In college, some guys are just so physically talented that they may be able to get by without having top tier workout/film/practice habits. Then, they get to the Pros and try to do that and they don't have that same physical advantage.

But, yes - It is would manifesting itself in poor play. Which is what we see.

And with Carman, doesn't he have the back injury? I couldn't imagine not being able to lift consistently and playing is position where you basically need to move big guys off the ball.
Reply/Quote