Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Really Hurts About Mike Brown Family Right Now
[Image: cat-fail.gif]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 04:02 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is the thing that worries me about the future.  Many people say "just wait for Katie to take over and we'll see changes".  She is an attorney like her father, and learned the business at his side.  I'm not so sure that it won't be same old, same old.

I don't believe her mentality differs much from her father's. My only hope with her is that maybe she will choose not to inherit the GM title from her father and will instead defer to someone else - such as Tobin - on personnel moves.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't believe her mentality differs much from her father's. My only hope with her is that maybe she will choose not to inherit the GM title from her father and will instead defer to someone else - such as Tobin - on personnel moves.

I have hope on that end since she said she'd be willing to bring in a "football mind" when she takes over the team officially.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I have hope on that end since she said she'd be willing to bring in a "football mind" when she takes over the team officially.

I will never wish death on anyone. I hope Mike has a long happy life...but the day someone not named Brown or Blackburn is running the Bengals, I'll be leading the parade through Cincy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I will never wish death on anyone. I hope Mike has a long happy life...but the day someone not named Brown or Blackburn is running the Bengals, I'll be leading the parade through Cincy.

I don't see Mike giving up control until he passes away. I truly believe he needs to keep up his routine with the Bengals to keep going. A lot of seniors usually decline quickly when their routine is changed dramatically. Look at Joe Paterno, he may have been sick, but he passed a couple of months after being let go at Penn State.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 01:40 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: With the recent run of 5 years in the playoffs, be hard pressed to get any traction with that movement unfortunately.

Not disagreeing with your stance, I think Mikey boy is the root of all the problems but I think of it a little bit differently. 

He wants to win, that I do not question. 

The issue, he wants to win "his way" and do it like Paul Brown did. Unfortunately, he doesn't have 1/12 the football IQ of his old man and being stubborn and doing it his way is going to result in the same old ending over and over. 

I really believe he has the want to win, everyone who is close to the organization, including Lap who is brutally honest, says he wants to win. It's just he will not change his way of doing things because he believes he can win his way.

Mike may want to win, but his actions in the past 25 years say differently.  It's like a guy who lives in his mom's basement and argues on message boards all day...but WANTS to get a good job and a really hot gf, he just wants to do it his way.

Mike Brown's way doesn't work, so he either doesn't care about winning or he is clinically insane and thinks his 25 year model of being the end-all be-all decision maker of the Bengals is logical, yet ineffective over a quarter of a century.  Take your pick, because neither are going to help us.  Who cares if he "wants to win?"  I bet Ryan Leaf wanted to be a decent QB.

How else can we "want something" yet completely avoid conventional wisdom?

- I WANT to be in great shape, but I want to do it my way, not the way other successful people have done it...25 years of doing it my way and I'm morbidly obese, but I WANT to be in shape.  I WANT it.  Can't knock me.  I WANT to succeed..I just gotta do it my own way!

(01-26-2017, 05:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I have hope on that end since she said she'd be willing to bring in a "football mind" when she takes over the team officially.

The first thing Al Davis' dumbass kid did (actually, I don't KNOW that he is dumb but that haircut certainly makes a strong point that he is) was hire a GM to replace his ol' man's do-it-all-and-stink-at-most-of-it approach.
Reply/Quote

It's not like they've got a "football mind" at the top right now anyways.

I always cringe when I think about Mikey having a say in the draft or who gets cut or signed.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 08:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Mike may want to win, but his actions in the past 25 years say differently.  It's like a guy who lives in his mom's basement and argues on message boards all day...but WANTS to get a good job and a really hot gf, he just wants to do it his way.

Mike Brown's way doesn't work, so he either doesn't care about winning or he is clinically insane and thinks his 25 year model of being the end-all be-all decision maker of the Bengals is logical, yet ineffective over a quarter of a century.  Take your pick, because neither are going to help us.  Who cares if he "wants to win?"  I bet Ryan Leaf wanted to be a decent QB.

How else can we "want something" yet completely avoid conventional wisdom?

- I WANT to be in great shape, but I want to do it my way, not the way other successful people have done it...25 years of doing it my way and I'm morbidly obese, but I WANT to be in shape.  I WANT it.  Can't knock me.  I WANT to succeed..I just gotta do it my own way!

I'd say stubborn as hell bordering on clinically insane.

The post was in reply to someone saying that he doesn't care about winning, and I think he does. By all counts, from everything you read from people who actually talk to him and have no reason to lie, the guy wants to win but he is stubborn as hell and wants to do it "his way." 

Yes, I agree completely that his way does not and will not work. However, he is the owner and unfortunately he will not see it any other way than his way. Just have to hope Katie sees it differently and continues to take over more and more control of the team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 12:34 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'd say stubborn as hell bordering on clinically insane.

The post was in reply to someone saying that he doesn't care about winning, and I think he does. By all counts, from everything you read from people who actually talk to him and have no reason to lie, the guy wants to win but he is stubborn as hell and wants to do it "his way." 

Yes, I agree completely that his way does not and will not work. However, he is the owner and unfortunately he will not see it any other way than his way. Just have to hope Katie sees it differently and continues to take over more and more control of the team.

He wants to win but he's also committed to spending over a quarter of a century doing things that clearly prevent winning?  I don't buy it.  I mean, he could WANT to win, like I WANT to win the lottery...but he doesn't do anything that might lead to winning, and I don't even play the lottery so what does that 'want" really get us in the end?

It's clear that Mike Brown's primary goal is to make money, keep costs down, provide jobs and security for his friends and family, AND if he manages to win in the football sense during all that, so much the better...but winning on the field clearly isn't his goal in life.  I can't knock Mike Brown for the way he does stuff and the priorities he holds that are inferred via the behaviors he displays, but I can't give him the credit that he's actually trying to win, either.  He just isn't.

It was abundantly clear very early in his run as the owner/GM that he simply did not have the ability to adequately run an NFL team in a manner which keeps up with, or exceeds the league average.  It's been nearly 20 years since the Akili Smith debacle and Mike Brown is still this team's GM.  The guy would like to have a winning team, but he's clearly never put in the effort it takes to make it so.  

Back to my example, almost everyone WANTS to be in great shape but very few of us actually put in the work to make it so. We want to watch TV and eat ice cream and double cheeseburgers, but damn it, we WANT to be totally sexy in our swimsuits!  Give me actions...words and intentions are misleading.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 08:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The first thing Al Davis' dumbass kid did (actually, I don't KNOW that he is dumb but that haircut certainly makes a strong point that he is) was hire a GM to replace his ol' man's do-it-all-and-stink-at-most-of-it approach.

I felt bad for McKenzie. He took over such a crap job that some were calling for his head after Dennis Allen was fired, but that salary cap was a nightmare to navigate.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 05:38 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I felt bad for McKenzie. He took over such a crap job that some were calling for his head after Dennis Allen was fired, but that salary cap was a nightmare to navigate.

And yet, even that dumpster fire has been turned into a Playoff team.  The oldest team, and the one in the worst cap position, worked the process and just made the Playoffs in one of 2-3 toughest divisions in the NFL.  The owner got out of the way, let competent people run the show, and look what happened.  You think Al's boy was counting hotdogs in the meantime?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 08:25 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: And yet, even that dumpster fire has been turned into a Playoff team.  The oldest team, and the one in the worst cap position, worked the process and just made the Playoffs in one of 2-3 toughest divisions in the NFL.  The owner got out of the way, let competent people run the show, and look what happened.  You think Al's boy was counting hotdogs in the meantime?

That team had SOME potential with Hue and Palmer, but lordy Dennis Allen was a dumpster-fire of a HC so a complete reboot was long-overdue by that point.  Interestingly, they suffered through some really bad seasons after Hue and Palmer left, but it looks to have paid off.  Meanwhile, we were sitting here for years saying we'd rather make the playoffs every year and lose in round one rather than suffer through 3 and 4-win seasons and then make a single big push.

Oh well.  We shall see what happens next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: MSince when was quantity of scouts better than quality of scouts ? They could have 1000 scouts and it means nothing if they don't know how to evaluate. 
I'm not saying Bengals scouts are all that and a bag of chips, but having 10 or even 20 more doesn't automatically make them great at anything. It does mean there's more. 
It's a lot easier to have 5 good scouts when you employ 10 then when you employ 3. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 12:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wish I saved the quote, but I once read where an owner said that owning a team is "a civic responsibility". It isn't a normal business. You have a duty to work with the city and keep your fan base happy. I wish I had saved the quote and I can never find it anymore. Either way, it's never felt like Mike Brown gives two squats about the city or fans. He does what he wants to do and is full aware that revenue sharing negates the need to keep a good relationship with his customers.

Bob McNair?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:00 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Its felt that way for a long time, but the Falcons in the SB specifically makes it really feel like we haven't done shit from a personnel perspective in a long time.  I like Duke as much as the next guy.  I think he's done a wonderful job with what he's been given.  But there is just no way in hell that team can produce at the same level as other organizations that dedicate many more resources to it.  

Everyone do me a favor and compare the following.  Pay special attention to the scouting departments :

Cincinnati Bengals Staff

Atlanta Falcons Staff

I say this because I know an individual listed on the Falcons staff page.  He has outright told me the Bengals scouting process is laughable at best.  

I've thought about making a separate thread about this in the past, but I can't take the NFL mission to 'put the best product on the field' when the entirety of a teams 'administration' is listed on the 'presidents' do not resuscitate document.  HOLY ***** HELL

Just checking out more organizations, more or less the AFC North...

Steelers

Browns

Ravens

All categories are  >Bengals.

I was not shocked with Ravens and Steelers, but the Browns--- Shocked

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't believe her mentality differs much from her father's. My only hope with her is that maybe she will choose not to inherit the GM title from her father and will instead defer to someone else - such as Tobin - on personnel moves.

I bet she has her eye on being the first/only female GM in the NFL(or has there been a female GM before?. Any takers?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 05:07 PM)CINwillWIN Wrote: Just checking out more organizations, more or less the AFC North...

Steelers

Browns

Ravens

All categories are  >Bengals.

I was not shocked with Ravens and Steelers, but the Browns--- Shocked

Okay.  People gotta stop out doing each other on listing how bad we suck.  It's really wearing me down.  Can't even keep it shut up in the back of my mind where it belongs anymore.  Makes me ask myself how crazy am I.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 03:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bob McNair?

Not sure honestly. It was several years back. The quote really stuck with me because I remember wishing someone like that owned the Bengals. Someone that deeply cared for the community and felt a sense of responsibility to the fans.

Wouldn't shock me if it was McNair. Houston loves the guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2017, 05:46 PM)McC Wrote: Okay.  People gotta stop out doing each other on listing how bad we suck.  It's really wearing me down.  Can't even keep it shut up in the back of my mind where it belongs anymore.  Makes me ask myself how crazy am I.

Nervous
Our team sucks...
Smirk

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
Kevin to many what ifs! You can't take an 8-0 team and dismantle it like we (MB KB) have done and expect a winning team !  I have a question for you or any board member. Where do you think either the Patriots or the Falcons would finish if Marvin Lewis was the head coach?
Reply/Quote