Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would Belichick Do?
Do you think Belichick would let his organization spend top tier money on a 35 year old offensive linemen? Because I dont.

Ole Marv has done something few have. 15 years as a head coach in one place. He and Belichick have that in common.

The Patriots traded away their best pass rusher and best LB this year. Something we wouldnt do in a million years. Yet they made the playoffs and have a first round bye. While we are making plans to give big money to the oldest tackle in the league and trade our backup QB a year too late.

The success of the teams they have coached over the last 15 years is not a mistake.

We drafted back to back tackles two years ago in the first and second round. Let our top 10 pick starting RT walk for a mid tier contract and gave the starting RT job to A guy who says RT is not his position. And here we are looking at our first round guard entering free agency in his prime while we make plans to give big money to the oldest tackle in the league.

I love Whit. But even Marvin would tell you the NFL is a young mans game. But that wont stop his poorly coached and managed team from making bad choices.
Reply/Quote
Would Belichik employ Peko or Maualuga? Would he let Burfict and Adam Jones set the tone for the defense of being emotionally out of control? Would he ever sign Mike Nugent? Would Michael Johnson start at defensive end? Would he and Brady put up with a center who can't snap or pass protect? Would he ever get out coached in second halves and big games?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Signing Whit to a 2 year extension is actually prudent given that his play has not dropped off. He's a far better option that the young guys. Put another way, would you rather have Whit or Ogbuehi protecting Andy's blindside in 2017? Whit is long in the tooth, but he's also an excellent technician, and his skills are aging well, a la Votto with the Reds.

As to what would Belichick do, he'd let Whit walk or come back on a team friendly deal because Belichick would already have a solid replacement waiting in the wings. There would be a focus on unearthing other team's undervalued parts that would fit into the team's scheme, and not acquiring name guys (Harrison, Dansby) and forcing them into roles they can't succeed in. The team would also have a better, competent coaching staff devoid of nepotistic underachievers. And the team would have won a fair few Playoff games in the past few years. But, we don't have Belichick, we have Marvin as coach and Mike/Katie/Troy/Duke as GM.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 12:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Do you think Belichick would let his organization spend top tier money on a 35 year old offensive linemen? Because I dont.

Brady is a lot older than Whit and the Pats are paying him a lot more money than whit.

You have no idea what Belichick would do because you are not smart enough to be an NFL head coach.
Reply/Quote
Bellickeck wouldn't of drafted ogbuegi
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:25 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Signing Whit to a 2 year extension is actually prudent given that his play has not dropped off.  He's a far better option that the young guys.  Put another way, would you rather have Whit or Ogbuehi protecting Andy's blindside in 2017?  Whit is long in the tooth, but he's also an excellent technician, and his skills are aging well, a la Votto with the Reds.

As to what would Belichick do, he'd let Whit walk or come back on a team friendly deal because Belichick would already have a solid replacement waiting in the wings.  There would be a focus on unearthing other team's undervalued parts that would fit into the team's scheme, and not acquiring name guys (Harrison, Dansby) and forcing them into roles they can't succeed in.  The team would also have a better, competent coaching staff devoid of nepotistic underachievers.  And the team would have won a fair few Playoff games in the past few years.  But, we don't have Belichick, we have Marvin as coach and Mike/Katie/Troy/Duke as GM.

Thats the thing. He doesnt give out a big money extension to the oldest LT in the league and cross his fingers. He uses common sense and coaches up other younger guys. 

Giving Whit big money now will be just as beneficial as giving Leon hall his 9+ million his last year here. 

No way in hell Belichick signs off on making a way above average age LT one of the highest paid players on the team.

Sure these guys think they can play forever. But that isnt reality. 

What are the odds of a LT playing at an elite level in his age 35+ seasons? Because I am betting against it every time. 

And this isnt me doubting or putting down Whitworth. Father time just has a stronger hand. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:24 AM)lostpoet2 Wrote: Would Belichik employ Peko or Maualuga? Would he let Burfict and Adam Jones set the tone for the defense of being emotionally out of control? Would he ever sign Mike Nugent? Would Michael Johnson start at defensive end? Would he and Brady put up with a center who can't snap or pass protect? Would he ever get out coached in second halves and big games?

You have no idea what Belichick would do with Peko, Maualuga, MJ, Nugent, or any of those other players.  What makes you think you are as smart as Belichick and that you two agree on absolutely every football decision?  What have you ever won to put yourself on his level as a NFL coach?

BTW would you trade for Ochocinco or take on Albert Haynesworth's huge free agent contract?  Would you use a first round pick on Dominique Easley?  I bet you wouldn't because you are smarter than Belichick, right?  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Brady is a lot older than Whit and the Pats are paying him a lot more money than whit.

You have no idea what Belichick would do because you are not smart enough to be an NFL head coach.

I know QB and LT are basically the same position according to you. But put a little more thought into it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:34 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Bellickeck wouldn't of drafted ogbuegi

How do you know?  Are you another one of those guys who is smart enough to be one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, but just decide to work some boring job for peanuts instead?

Would you have used a first round pick on Dominique Easley?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:39 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I know QB and LT are basically the same position according to you. But put a little more thought into it. 

Do you also know that the Patriots "best pass rusher and best LB" are not LTs?

What is your point?

And explain again exactly how you know what Belichick would do with Whit?  Let me guess.  Is it because you are just as smart as Belichick so you know he would automatically do the exact same thing you would?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you know?  Are you another one of those guys who is smart enough to be one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, but just decide to work some boring job for peanuts instead?

He cut Easley after two years. Sometimes good coaches admit mistakes and move on. They dont let it ruin a season. Not to mention he was looking at a character flaw Florida guy. The one sitting in jail with murder charges probably helped him make that cut.

Could you see Marvin cutting a first round pick after 2 years? Or is that a difference between a winning coach and losing coach you are willing to admit?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you also know that the Patriots "best pass rusher and best LB" are not LTs?

What is your point?

And explain again exactly how you know what Belichick would do with Whit?  Let me guess.  Is it because you are just as smart as Belichick so you know he would automatically do the exact same thing you would?
I didnt compare the two. I said he traded them away. The point being one knows how to put together a roster and maximize value while the other knows how to clap and giggle and make sure his locker room leaders get paid. 

Lets make this easy. Take away the answer you dont know what Belichick would do. Do you think he would give a giant contract to a 35 year old offensive tackle? Yes or no?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you know?  Are you another one of those guys who is smart enough to be one of the greatest coaches in NFL history, but just decide to work some boring job for peanuts instead?

Yeah I do know, bill is my father lol no but patriots draft at the bottom of the draft every year,easley was a good prospect coming out, why wouldn't he draft him?  He also drafted malcom brown that worked out. I also think easley had gotten some knee issues I heard.  As for ohbuegi he wasn't even talked about for months in the draft process, I pay attention to draft time, and even I was like who?  When we drafted him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 02:00 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote:  As for ohbuegi he wasn't even talked about for months in the draft process, I pay attention to draft time, and even I was like who?  When we drafted him. 

You knowledge of the draft is obviously equal to all of your other knowledge of NFL football.

Ogbuehi ranked first or second round prospeat by NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cedric-ogbuehi?id=2552355

Projected 2nd rounder by CBSSports http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737334/cedric-ogbuehi

Projected 2nd rounder by Sports Illustrated.  http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/30/2015-nfl-draft-ranking-si-64-breshad-perriman-cedric-ogbuehi

But he was actually ranked much higher before he was injured in their Bowl Game.  he was a consensus first round pick before that.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 01:56 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lets make this easy. Take away the answer you dont know what Belichick would do. Do you think he would give a giant contract to a 35 year old offensive tackle? Yes or no?

If Belichick did not have a back up ready to take his place then he would absolutely give Whit a big contract.

Since you think you are as smart as Bill then please tell me who you think he would have starting at LT for the Bengals next year after letting Whit walk.
Reply/Quote

You're cherry picking Fred.  While no one knows Belichick's thoughts, it's pretty logical to infer what he might do given their actions over the past 15 years.  The Pats cut their losses with Easley after two years.  Despite drafting in the bottom 20's every year, there is no doubt that they've out drafted the Bengals during the joint Belichick and Lewis tenures.   They've also, on the whole, been far more successful in FA in terms of hits than misses.  Sure, they've acquired a few duds (Haynesworth, Chad Johnson), but they've also turned the bargain bin and mid tier FA pool into gold (Welker, Ninkovich, Seau, Dillon, Blount, Harrison, Long, Sheard, Lewis, Vrabel, Woodhead) with a few top enders (Moss, Revis) to stack the deck.  

The Pats, on average, are winners in free agency and the draft.  The Bengals are not on the same level in either facet.  If they were a stock, the Pats would show significant, stable earning with low volatility.  The organization is the best run in the league, and show marked tendencies towards how they operate. So yes, one could infer what Belichick might do given the 15 years of data on hand.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Bill Belichick brought in Junior Seau as a free agent when he was 37 and he played with the Patriots until he was 40.

Belichick brought in Joey Galloway when he was 38 and he played 2 years with the Patriots.

Belichick brought in LB Chad Brown when he was 35.

Tom Brady will be back next year when he is 40.

Belichick kept Troy Brown and Rodney Harrison around until they were 36.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 02:44 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: So yes, one could infer what Belichick might do given the 15 years of data on hand.

So you predict he will cut Brady this offseason?

If players can still play Bill will keep them around.  Especially if he has not better alternative.  If Bengals let Whit walk then who would be playing LT for us next year?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 02:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If Belichick did not have a back up ready to take his place then he would absolutely give Whit a big contract.

Since you think you are as smart as Bill then please tell me who you think he would have starting at LT for the Bengals next year after letting Whit walk.

Well we just used a first and second round pick on tackles. Fisher played LT in college im not ruling him out. Boling played LT in college , im not ruling him out. We should have 10+ draft picks. We have free agency to work with and making trades is legal.

Ogbuehi may stumble into a gym and accidentally work out. You never know. What we do know is that time is real and every piece of a team winless in the playoffs for 15 years is replaceable. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 03:00 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:  What we do know is that time is real and every piece of a team winless in the playoffs for 15 years is replaceable. 

This is one of the dumbest comments I have read in quite a while.

Whit is one of the best players in the league at his position, and we have no viable replacement.  What does our playoff record have to do with him being replaceable?
Reply/Quote