Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade?
(03-16-2022, 11:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man, things have really cooled after a hot start. Plenty of time left, but tbh if you don't stay on it, options dry up really fast, then you're left hoping for scraps or relying on the draft to fix it.

Obviously going into the draft with a dire need, and hoping a rookie can step up big, isn't the most ideal scenario. Not to mention you're at the mercy of who everyone else picks.

Options are there now. We need to do something.

I agree whole hardily with you on this.  It seems once the Bengals got the 2 players they targeted, it's back to their old ways of waiting on 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier FA players. 

You are drafting 31st.  Next to last in each round.  You might get lucky on a couple of picks but you are not getting the cream of the crop.  There is no way I would depend too much on the draft drafting 31st.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 12:09 AM)Housh Wrote: 1st week of FA has always been for the most sought after guys.

FA drying up now is expected. We are good. 

Our positions of need are TE, RT, and LG. We have plenty time, and some guys are likely trying to wait out the market because they think it gets them more money. I think alot of lineman are gonna be screwed if they wait too long because all they heard for months is how bad Cincy needs lineman. And how bad this and that team needs lineman. We signed 2 guys QUICK and our ugency naturally decreased. Other teams signed lineman. Brady unretired so now Jensen was a sweepstakes. Alot of the lineman are gonna f*** themselves because they overwaited for a contract and id say within next week, most teams are gonna be ok on the line and anyone left over will be f*****.

Expect alot of lienman signings next week. Alot of teams/players were waiting to see what we, the Bucs, and a couple other teams were going to do 1st.

Who are these “a lot of linemen” though? RT is pretty dry in free agency.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:07 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Who are these “a lot of linemen” though?  RT is pretty dry in free agency.

I mean, there's like Williams and....um....Collins....and Turner....and yea.....3. Hell, this just means Neal will fall from 1st overall to 31.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We're f***ed
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I'm starting to think the reason we're not seeing other deals from the Bengals since Monday is because the front office is waiting for a decision from the Cowboys on Collins. The potential money that'll be involved is probably prohibiting the team from going after other players until a decision is made. It'll dictate whether they go after a $3-5M CB vs a $7-8M CB. Probably the same kind of deal with TE and other rotational players.

If Collins goes elsewhere, I think we'll see another couple signings rather quickly.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Do you guys think maybe one of our young RTs playing beside Cappa, might step up? My thinking is, with Cappa the communications might be a lot better.

Of course that's a possibility but would hate to count on it in a year Bengals can go all in. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:39 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Of course that's a possibility but would hate to count on it in a year Bengals can go all in. 

Yes - When you are trying to win a SB, you need to try to be the best team in the league. Not count on unproven guys to improve.

Plus, we might get Burrow's career shortened if we don't improve the line.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 12:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - When you are trying to win a SB, you need to try to be the best team in the league. Not count on unproven guys to improve.

Plus, we might get Burrow's career shortened if we don't improve the line.

Especially with the Bengals track record on drafting O-linemen over the last decade. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 03:08 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I agree whole hardily with you on this.  It seems once the Bengals got the 2 players they targeted, it's back to their old ways of waiting on 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier FA players. 

You are drafting 31st.  Next to last in each round.  You might get lucky on a couple of picks but you are not getting the cream of the crop.  There is no way I would depend too much on the draft drafting 31st.  

The fact that we're concentrating on getting our long snapper and Mike Thomas locked up doesn't look good. In the past, when we started announcing deals for bottom of the roster types, it usually meant we were done making "big" splashes.

(03-17-2022, 08:19 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm starting to think the reason we're not seeing other deals from the Bengals since Monday is because the front office is waiting for a decision from the Cowboys on Collins. The potential money that'll be involved is probably prohibiting the team from going after other players until a decision is made. It'll dictate whether they go after a $3-5M CB vs a $7-8M CB. Probably the same kind of deal with TE and other rotational players.

If Collins goes elsewhere, I think we'll see another couple signings rather quickly.

Should we wait on Collins though? The Cowboys always think they're smarter than everyone else, and it causes them to do dumb things. Like sit on Collins for months hoping to get an amazing offer. What if we don't get him before the draft?

Heck, what if we're not even looking at Collins, and the FO thinks they're done. That they'll roll with Carman at LG and draft a RT?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:19 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'm starting to think the reason we're not seeing other deals from the Bengals since Monday is because the front office is waiting for a decision from the Cowboys on Collins. The potential money that'll be involved is probably prohibiting the team from going after other players until a decision is made. It'll dictate whether they go after a $3-5M CB vs a $7-8M CB. Probably the same kind of deal with TE and other rotational players.

Not Collins.  Armstead.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:07 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Not Collins.  Armstead.

Good point. Could be, but not sure Armstead fits the age profile that Bengals have had with bigger free agent signings. 
Reply/Quote

Armstead is waiting to see if Watson goes to the Saints. He's not coming here and too expensive anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The fact that we're concentrating on getting our long snapper and Mike Thomas locked up doesn't look good. In the past, when we started announcing deals for bottom of the roster types, it usually meant we were done making "big" splashes.

Should we wait on Collins though? The Cowboys always think they're smarter than everyone else, and it causes them to do dumb things. Like sit on Collins for months hoping to get an amazing offer. What if we don't get him before the draft?

Heck, what if we're not even looking at Collins, and the FO thinks they're done. That they'll roll with Carman at LG and draft a RT?

Not sure if they should wait on Collins but it seems like they are. And if they are, I'm guessing the team has a length of time they're willing to wait before going a different way. I'll be happy if they get him though.

With Waynes still in the cap #, its pretty likely they aren't done.
Reply/Quote

Hope this is the case. We are kind of hanging on a limb here at the moment and I don't like the feeling.

We get Collins in here though and everything is great. Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! Wink
Reply/Quote

Doubt it. Too expensive, gets injured a lot and is older. Bad combination.

Collins is just as good and is younger, I know there are the red flags but with everyone there is a gamble and Collins is cheaper.
Reply/Quote
Wow. Collins to be waived today!

Let the biding war begin!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 10:52 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: The Bengals have fixed their worst online issues. They have a RT problem but they can fix it like they did last year. Then draft a OT and hope for the best by 2023. Collins wore out his welcome in Cowboy land, a place known for Jerry Jones’ own questionable conduct. That says something we should listen too about Collins. Bribing someone who handles urine drug test specimens is colorful. Do we need that guy at $10 million? Maybe at $3 million on a one year deal.

(03-17-2022, 02:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wow. Collins to be waived today!

Let the biding war begin!

Cowboys were screwed. Nobody wanted to give up a draft choice. I can see the Bengals giving him (with guard rails) a long term deal. At a reasonable price. 4 years at 32 million. That fixes the OL somewhat for awhile. Paul Dehner implying Patriots not a suitor.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Cowboys were screwed. Nobody wanted to give up a draft choice. I can see the Bengals giving him (with guard rails) a long term deal. At a reasonable price. 4 years at 32 million. That fixes the OL somewhat for awhile.

I read they had some late round picks. I think they get more cap space by releasing him. So they valued the cap space more than the pick.

Honestly, a 6th Round pick is special teamer most likely.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:07 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Who are these “a lot of linemen” though?  RT is pretty dry in free agency.

You got Daryl Williams, Riley Reiff, Terron Armstead, Duane Brown, La'el Collins, Trent Brown, Eric Fisher, Germain Ifedi, and Bryan Bulaga who could conceivably start (and be a significant upgrade to Prince) at either RT or move Williams over to RT and take over LT for at least 1 to 2 years. Some are shorter term options but would be really good to have if we decide to go tackle at 31.
Reply/Quote
End of thread, no trade going down. Free agent signing watch is in effect!

Reply/Quote