Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a government shut down really accomplishes
Taxpayers give hundreds of thousands of federal employees more paid vacation time.  Less work gets done for the same pay.

Unfortunately many of these federal employees suffer short term financial crisis because their pay is delayed.

No body wins.  Taxpayers pay same amount for less production.  Federal employees screwed by delayed pay.

But I predict this will start happening every single year because Congressmen refuse to do their jobs and still get re-elected.
A complete waste of everything. The news is wall to wall with the plight of federal employees. It won't affect the diehards, but Trump is going to lose some people over this. He would have been better off saying I tried, but there's no way I can build a wall. I just don't have the votes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
What bothers me is that this is going to become the new "normal".  We will be going through this silly shit every year.

This should be one issue that extremists from both sides can agree on.  The rules have to be changed to stop this crap.
(01-17-2019, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What bothers me is that this is going to become the new "normal".  We will be going through this silly shit every year.

This should be one issue that extremists from both sides can agree on.  The rules have to be changed to stop this crap.

I don't think so.  The GOP will pay enough of a price for this that they won't want it to happen again.  Not for 5 or 6 years at least, until the memory of this one dies out in their constituency.  That's about how long it took them to forget the Iraq war.  
(01-17-2019, 04:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A complete waste of everything.  The news is wall to wall with the plight of federal employees.  It won't affect the diehards, but Trump is going to lose some people over this.  He would have been better off saying I tried, but there's no way I can build a wall.  I just don't have the votes.

Or just kick the can down the road (support the temp bill). Which he should do anyway because if we built the wall what else will he have to work up his base over?

The wall has always been good business for rallying his base. Without it what is he going to run on in 2020? Back to lock Hillary up?

The only way this looks like it'll end is if federal workers (specifically the tsa) refuse to return to work. Mess up folks flights and all hell will break lose (as far as voters of both parties outrage).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(01-17-2019, 04:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A complete waste of everything.  The news is wall to wall with the plight of federal employees.  It won't affect the diehards, but Trump is going to lose some people over this.  He would have been better off saying I tried, but there's no way I can build a wall.  I just don't have the votes.

I dunno, republicans are taking the line of "well, Democrats won't budge, so... Blame them!"

My ire is over McConnell. In past shut down he's said (and allegedly been willing) to at least try bandage legislation to keep things going . Now he just says it's between. Trump and Democrats, that hes staying on the sidelines.