Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are Realistic options for next Head Coach & Staff given what Mike B. will spend?
I can see a scenario where the Ravens miss the playoffs and John Harbaugh gets fired. I would be ok with the Bengals hiring a coach from the Ravens again. I believe Harbaugh can motivate the players properly and get them a swagger that hasn't been seen yet in Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Anyone on the Josh McDaniels train?

I'm on board. Hopefully the next HC has some experience and success in that role.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't think that most coaches really want all the control. They don't have time to sit there and be a GM and a head coach. Really, how many coaches in the NFL have complete control? There's not very many, if any. Almost all of them have a strong personnel guys that they work with. They may get final say on a guy, but I doubt it extends much further than that. It's just not possible to do both at an elite level.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 03:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think that most coaches really want all the control.  They don't have time to sit there and be a GM and a head coach.  Really, how many coaches in the NFL have complete control?  There's not very many, if any.  Almost all of them have a strong personnel guys that they work with.  They may get final say on a guy, but I doubt it extends much further than that.  It's just not possible to do both at an elite level.

Does Mike Brown qualify as a 'strong personnel guy' for the new coach to work with?
Reply/Quote
Has anyone thought that there is just too much on the plate for a HC here. Like Hammer said, why would an established coach want to come here and be the HC, GM, scouting department, bailiff, etc. I don't think it's a matter of Mike Brown not wanting a new coach to have control much control. It's more of a what winning coach wants to come here only to have more responsibilitys and to an extent less say over any of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 03:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Does Mike Brown qualify as a 'strong personnel guy' for the new coach to work with?

No, but Tobin does.
Reply/Quote
It's going to take more than simply bringing in a new HC to change anything around here, much more. The ownership will have to admit that what they have been doing for so long simply isn't working, and make a conscious decision on weather they want to see a championship level team, or simply keep turning a profit.

If they opt for building a champion, it will take a complete makeover. Turning over personnel selection and management to an actual GM brought in from outside the current organization. Allowing that GM to build an actual, fully staffed scouting department. Allowing that GM to interview and hire the coach that he likes and believes in. Allow that HC to have complete control over hiring is staff of assistants and team managers.

As you can see, it will take much more than simply swapping out Marvin for the next up, and expecting a miracle to happen. I'm not sure that the ownership is capable of turning over all of that control to others.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 03:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, but Tobin does.

Based on what does Tobin qualify as a strong personnel guy?

Because he was here when they drafted AJ Green?

The Bengals have had 2 great drafts and a bunch of average to below average ones.
Reply/Quote

I'd look at both NE coordinators, but I doubt they come here. McDaniels was a popular name for the 49ers in 15 or 16, but he backed out because he wasn't going to have full control of what coaches he could hire. I'm sure the next HC will be forced to keep Alexander.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

I think this is our best and most realistic option. I think this job would be very attractive to him considering he is a Ohio native and we have some nice offensive weapons to work with.

My unrealistic wish list would be Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw. Pay them what they want and offer full control. 

And for those of you saying that no established coach would come here ... just remember that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. There are a to of people out there who would love to be the HC of the Cincinnati Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:41 PM)ZWP Wrote: I think this is our best and most realistic option. I think this job would be very attractive to him considering he is a Ohio native and we have some nice offensive weapons to work with.

My unrealistic wish list would be Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw. Pay them what they want and offer full control. 

And for those of you saying that no established coach would come here ... just remember that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world. There are a to of people out there who would love to be the HC of the Cincinnati Bengals. 

McDaniels flopped as the Broncos HC. http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5892528. He got fired 2 years into a 4 year contract. A bunch of things went wrong.

I think he stays with the Patriots and takes over once Belicheck retires.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: McDaniels flopped as the Broncos HC. http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5892528. He got fired 2 years into a 4 year contract. A bunch of things went wrong.

I think he stays with the Patriots and takes over once Belicheck retires.

He has grown up. McDaniels has admitted that he made a lot of mistakes as the Broncos HC.

However, I feel like he is waiting for the New England job.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:41 PM)ZWP Wrote: I think this is our best and most realistic option. I think this job would be very attractive to him considering he is a Ohio native and we have some nice offensive weapons to work with.

In order for any proven, modern era coach to have any shot at being successful, full control is automatically a prerequisite.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In order for any proven, modern era coach to have any shot at being successful, full control is automatically a prerequisite.

Yep. What coaches with any other options are going to go to a team that doesn't believe in free agency?

Remember when we got Marvin he had been passed over for numerous HC jobs.
Reply/Quote
All I know is if we promote anyone from within it's a waste. This teams whole identity and culture needs a complete do over. It's a shame cause a promotion from within is exactly what will happen. Shock me Mike Brown PLEASE!
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: But what would you do ?

I'd be super cheap and hire my friends and family and laugh at how I can't lose money no matter how badly I run my business.  I'm a GM and you aren't!  MWA HA HAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
New England's DC. Dudes a rocket scientist or something. He's been on the hot list for a head coach position for a couple years now but there's no doubt in my mind that Guenther is the next HC. I don't know if it's necessarily a bad thing. He was a head man at a small college school in his 20s or so. His defense is the only bright spot on the team currently.
Reply/Quote
The next head coach will be Katie's decision, Mike Brown will be out of the picture.

Well I should say, the next head coach will be the GM's decision since Katie will hire a GM to run the football side of things while Katie does the business side.

EDIT: I just want to say that organizations or businesses or pretty much anything runs in a three stage cycle.

The first generation builds a business or organization.
The second generation will maintain what the first generation built.
The third generation will destroy or ruin what the first and second generation built.
Then it starts over again.

The Bengals are a different animal though since Paul Brown built the Bengals and was respectable.
Mike Brown comes in and rather than maintain what his father built, he destroyed it skipping phase three altogether.

Let's hope when Katie comes in, she starts over again and rebuilds what her grandfather built but takes it to the next level and wins a Super Bowl or four.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 03:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's going to take more than simply bringing in a new HC to change anything around here, much more.  The ownership will have to admit that what they have been doing for so long simply isn't working, and make a conscious decision on weather they want to see a championship level team, or simply keep turning a profit.

If they opt for building a champion, it will take a complete makeover.  Turning over personnel selection and management to an actual GM brought in from outside the current organization.  Allowing that GM to build an actual, fully staffed scouting department.  Allowing that GM to interview and hire the coach that he likes and believes in.  Allow that HC to have complete control over hiring is staff of assistants and team managers.

As you can see, it will take much more than simply swapping out Marvin for the next up, and expecting a miracle to happen.  I'm not sure that the ownership is capable of turning over all of that control to others.

Exactly Sunset !

No HC worth a damn is going to come here and have Mike tell him who's playing, who isn't. Who we're keeping, who were letting go. Crickets in free agency and on and on.

Mike Brown for whatever reasons (I'm not sure even a psychologist could answer) still fancies himself a great GM. Until he's willing to let that go we're in wash, rinse, repeat purgatory. 
Reply/Quote
Even though deep down I'd like to see an offensive coach come in, I'm definitely intrigued by Matt Patricia. Give me some of that evil genius beard please.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote