Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the Bengals doing at Defensive Tackle?
(05-18-2024, 12:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Our good buddy down it TEN has 3 DTs over 330; 2 of them 360+. Conversely, we have 6 DTs 310 and under; 3 of which are under 300

And the best run stopping Defense in the league last year was the Bears with our buddy Andrew Billings and the other DT both being under 310.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2024, 08:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Imagine reducing DJ Reader's impact to a snap count. That's just wrong. 

That’s what it all boils down to.

Life goes on. We are not doomed to failure because we lost one of our 11 starters on defense.

The Bengals clearly thought he was a good player because of their efforts to upgrade the positional depth chart after his departure. They also knew he is still recovering from a major injury and is getting older.

The question that will soon be answered; was our defense better when we had Reader + Topou or will the additions of Rankins + Jenkins + Jackson be an upgrade? The homer in me naturally has me leaning towards the latter with the youth movement and obvious pass rush upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2024, 01:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: For the record, I loved and respected the play of DJ Reader. He was a great run stopper, but frankly a poor pass rusher.

I think the Bengals know better than any of us our impact losing him.

I understand we play in a rugged run division, and we need to attempt to stop the 4 or more yard runs on 1st and 2nd down. But we also play great passing teams not only in the division, but a team like KC.

In time, we will see if what we lost against the run, we gained against the pass. Rankins is a better pass rusher than DJ and we need to get more pressure up the middle in our pass rush. I hope the offense and Burrow can put us in better position in 2024 to have a nice lead heading into the 4th quarter making teams 1 dimensional.

I know this, our defense was not good with DJ in 2023, our offense was not good without Burrow either.

At this point, we can hope Jenkins and others step up on the DL so we get better than the 2023 team with a healthy DJ Reader.

Excellent completely agree
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Every time I see the title to this thread I flash back to the dad in the Twisted Sister MV “ What are you going to DO WITH YOUR LIFE!”

Hopefully our IDL is Not “worthless and weak”!
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2024, 02:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: They made an interesting note about not thinking Jenkins body had been tapped out in terms of adding size. I think because of his strength we will see him playing the 0/1 more than people think. I could see him being a bit of a Harrison Phillips and playing nose at 305 or so but being capable of holding his own.

I can see that, i think he's got more room to grow both physically and game wise. I hold him in high regard, and think he will be in the conversation for DROY.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:13 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I can see that, i think he's got more room to grow both physically and game wise. I hold him in high regard, and think he will be in the conversation for DROY.

Sure hope so, Kris Jenkins sure has the upside and the work ethic. That is what is great about getting team Captains, they will always 
work their ass off to help the team. We are seeing it with Myles Murphy this offseason who looks huge and could be the future star End
we need. If Kris Jenkins can be that 3-tech of the future we might have the beginning of something special.

I am really high on McKinnley Jackson as well. Moves great for a big NT.

As much as losing Reader might hurt, he still is hurt and we don't know if he will even play this season for the Lions and if he does we 
don't know if he will be the same.
Reply/Quote