Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you cooking?
What's everyone cooking?

With summer school over, I'm not doing shit these days. I have 4 weeks until I got back to work, so I have been cooking a lot more.

Here's what I made today

[Image: 11357817_502051846616554_1628859146_n.jpg]

Chicken marinated in garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Very sweet. Very tender. I usually add some kalamata olives as a garnish, but I only did the cherry tomatoes today.

I made kabuli palaw for the first time. It's seasoned rice with carrots and raisins. It was awesome. Not as good as the kabob place makes it, but I was impressed with my first attempt.

Next time I am going to try to make the cilantro sauce for the chicken.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just smoked catfish, fried chicken strips, made homemade shells and cheese and fried potatoes.

No pictures. Why? Cause it was delicious.
Reply/Quote
This is some pulled pork I made last week. Before and after shot.

[Image: 4JQ6gpc.jpg]

Here's a pot roast/stew I made

[Image: Vhwi6Mf.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_lsvgpwcu4v1r4pnm1o1_500.jpg]

probly a side of eggs and bacon if i remember to buy bacon
Reply/Quote
The only cooking I have been doing lately is mass quantities that i can eat as leftovers through the week.

Chili

General Tso's Chicken

Chicken Salad

Apple Pie Casserole

Home made pizza

When I make chili I make gallons. I keep enough fresh to eat about three nights and then I freeze a couple of 2lb margarine bowls for later. My home made pizza uses my home made spaghetti sauce that i also make by the gallon and freeze. It already has all the meat, onions, and peppers in it.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 09:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What's everyone cooking?

With summer school over, I'm not doing shit these days. I have 4 weeks until I got back to work, so I have been cooking a lot more.

Here's what I made today

[Image: 11357817_502051846616554_1628859146_n.jpg]

Chicken marinated in garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Very sweet. Very tender. I usually add some kalamata olives as a garnish, but I only did the cherry tomatoes today.

I made kabuli palaw for the first time. It's seasoned rice with carrots and raisins. It was awesome. Not as good as the kabob place makes it, but I was impressed with my first attempt.

Next time I am going to try to make the cilantro sauce for the chicken.

That looks delicious, but a little dry for my tastes.  Definitely needs some sort of sauce.  What kind of cilantro sauce were you going to make?  

I bake large amounts of chicken and save the stock.  When it cools all the heavy fat rises to the top and can be removed.  Then I cook down (reduce) the stock and freeze it to use in sauces and/or gravy.  I even use it in my chicken salad.  Since it gels when it cools it keeps the chicken salad from breaking down and getting liquidy in the fridge.  I use fat free or low fat salad dressing and that stuff will break down into water if you refrigerate chicken or tuna salad made out of it.  But if you add some reduced chicken stock it keeps it in a perfect consistency.
Reply/Quote
Burgers, brats, corn on the cob, all on a charcoal grill. Wife is making homemade mac n cheese.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 02:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only cooking I have been doing lately is mass quantities that i can eat as leftovers through the week.

Chili

General Tso's Chicken

Chicken Salad

Apple Pie Casserole

Home made pizza

When I make chili I make gallons.  I keep enough fresh to eat about three nights and then I freeze a couple of 2lb margarine bowls for later.  My home made pizza uses my home made spaghetti sauce that i also make by the gallon and freeze.  It already has all the meat, onions, and peppers in it.

How spicy do you make your chili?
Reply/Quote
I made oyster stew last night. Normally, on ninety degree days, I am in no mood for soup, but yesterday I was just in a oyster kind of mood. Love that stuff, but it's gotta be loaded.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 09:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How spicy do you make your chili?

Medium heat.

I use a chipotle chili powder.  It has a little more kick to it than just regular chili powder and that way I don't have to add any extra red pepper or hot sauce.  Plus I just think it has a richer taste.

I also use a yellow onion when cooking. They have a lot stronger taste than sweet onions. Sweet onions are good raw, but I prefer yellow onions for cooking.

I use a lot of onion, garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and sweet chili peppers so it is plenty "spicy" but not really "hot".
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Medium heat.

I use a chipotle chili powder.  It has a little more kick to it than just regular chili powder and that way I don't have to add any extra red pepper or hot sauce.  Plus I just think it has a richer taste.

I also use a yellow onion when cooking.  They have a lot stronger taste than sweet onions.  Sweet onions are good raw, but I prefer yellow onions for cooking.

I use a lot of onion, garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and sweet chili peppers so it is plenty "spicy" but not really "hot".

Sounds great. I agree with the yellow onions.
Reply/Quote

I also use a yellow onion when cooking.  They have a lot stronger taste than sweet onions.  Sweet onions are good raw, but I prefer yellow onions for cooking.

Ever try cayenne pepper? I love that stuff.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 06:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: Ever try cayenne pepper? I love that stuff.

That is what I used to add when i didn't use the chipotle chili powder.

I also like frsh Jalapenos, but I just use a few. I like to get the flavor without too much heat. Fresh Jalapenos are not really that hot when you are adding a few to a big pot of chili. I used to grow and can my own jalapenos. when I would open a jar I would dump them in a food processor and turn them into paste. that way I could easily control how much to add.

But my favorite use of jalapenos is on cheese nachos. And I like the slices for that.
Reply/Quote
First attempt at chicken Marseille turned out pretty good.
Reply/Quote

Chili powder
Black pepper
Red pepper
Cummin
Onion
Salt
Very small amount of brown sugar
Black beans
chili beans
Sliced Jalapenos 
Meat

Crock pot, 6 hours. 

That is chili. And sorry, Cincinnatians, if you put noodles in it you're making spicy spaghetti. There's no bread in chili.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 11:38 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: First attempt at chicken Marseille turned out pretty good.

Rich dish that's easy to make. Along the same lines, chicken cordon bleu. Really easy to make, great flavors. Just get a really thick breast, cut a hole about midway through. Roll up the swiss and ham, stuff it inside the crevasse. Dip in egg, roll through some garlic-salt-panko crumbs and deep fry. Easiest way is to make sure the hole is covered up so the cheese doesn't come out during the frying. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 12:02 AM)Benton Wrote: Chili powder
Black pepper
Red pepper
Cummin
Onion
Salt
Very small amount of brown sugar
Black beans
chili beans
Sliced Jalapenos 
Meat

Crock pot, 6 hours. 

That is chili. And sorry, Cincinnatians, if you put noodles in it you're making spicy spaghetti. There's no bread in chili.

Tomatoes
corn
black beans or dark kidney beans
salt
black pepper
garlic
chipotle chili powder
green chilis
onion
hamburger
molasses (brown sugar is just regular sugar plus molasses so that will work also)
dash of cinnamon
(jalapenos if I have them)

Serve with shredded cheese

Chili is the one meal I almost never get tired of. I can eat if a few days in a row or every other day for a week or more.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2015, 12:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tomatoes
corn
black beans or dark kidney beans
salt
black pepper
garlic
chipotle chili powder
green chilis
onion
hamburger
molasses (brown sugar is just regular sugar plus molasses so that will work also)
dash of cinnamon
(jalapenos if I have them)

Serve with shredded cheese

Chili is the one meal I almost never get tired of.  I can eat if a few days in a row or every other day for a week or more.

Pretty close in taste. One thing I forgot, I will add a wedge of lime. Don't usually go towards the corn, but I do usually serve mine with corn chips so there's a similar direction. Or, I'll make corn cakes and serve the chili over them. 

But agreed, chili is one of the few things I can eat on all week and never get old. O course, I mix it up some and serve it over fries, by itself, on corn cakes, etc.
Reply/Quote
[Image: snow-cocaine.jpg]

Cookin' pies for my baby
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This is my favorite chili recipe. I usually take the sugar waaaay down since its just too damn sweet. I havent found a recipe I have liked better, though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/major-cojones-chili-recipe.html

I make this dish once every week or so. I boil a bag of brown rice, saute some Andouille sausage, peppers, onions, garlic, snap peas, green beans, and pinto beans in olive oil, add back in the rice, and finish cooking with Cajun seasoning, black pepper, red pepper, parsley and any other seasonings.

Its easy and good.

I have also been hooked on boneless skinless chicken thighs lately. They are cheap, healthy, taste better than chicken breasts, and really easy to cook.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote