Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can Burrow do differently?
Seventy sacks. We've all heard it, we've all seen it. Burrow was hit an obscene number of times this year, and this is the second year in a row that he ended the season with a knee injury. Something has to change.

Offensive line depth is a problem, as is offensive line talent in general. But the line is not responsible for all seventy of these sacks. Burrow has a part to play in this too. So ASSUMING the coaches and front office make big moves in the off-season to improve the offensive line talent and build depth, what can Burrow personally improve upon moving forward to drive these sack numbers down even lower?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think stepping up in the pocket more at times would help him. He seems to escape good laterally but not by moving up.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:39 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Seventy sacks.  We've all heard it, we've all seen it.  Burrow was hit an obscene number of times this year, and this is the second year in a row that he ended the season with a knee injury.  Something has to change.  

Offensive line depth is a problem, as is offensive line talent in general.  But the line is not responsible for all seventy of these sacks.  Burrow has a part to play in this too.  So ASSUMING the coaches and front office make big moves in the off-season to improve the offensive line talent and build depth, what can Burrow personally improve upon moving forward to drive these sack numbers down even lower?

have better developing plays so he has a guy to throw too that doesnt take 5 seconds to get open
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:39 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Seventy sacks.  We've all heard it, we've all seen it.  Burrow was hit an obscene number of times this year, and this is the second year in a row that he ended the season with a knee injury.  Something has to change.  

Offensive line depth is a problem, as is offensive line talent in general.  But the line is not responsible for all seventy of these sacks.  Burrow has a part to play in this too.  So ASSUMING the coaches and front office make big moves in the off-season to improve the offensive line talent and build depth, what can Burrow personally improve upon moving forward to drive these sack numbers down even lower?

Learn how to run outside the pocket and throw it away.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Not sure a lot of our plays had a check down option this year.

We love to claim Burrow is the next Brady... then lets use him like Brady. Check down... Check down... Check down

Perhaps that comes with a better O-Line
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Burrow gets antsy at times and not finish his progressions. There are some opportunities that he missed throughout the season, including the SB, where he tucked it early instead of trusting his progressions and finding the open man. His pocket presence isn't the greatest and he prefers to run away instead of maneuvering in the pocket itself. This habit can lead to him getting sacked as he will just tuck the ball and look to escape instead of keeping the ball ready to fire. Sometimes it produces incredible plays (Chiefs AFC championship where he escaped Jones twice) and other times it just leads to him turtling up and taking a sack. Trusting his progressions will also lead to him getting to the checkdown much quicker. A lot of people try to put blame on ZT, per usual, but many of these pass plays that are being ran have obvious checkdowns built into them - Joe just doesn't get to them in those instances.

In my opinion, this is the only true "weak area" in his game.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:47 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Learn how to run outside the pocket and throw it away.

its really hard to critique the guy who was pummeled all yr and sacked 70 times! ....and thats not including the hits taken after the throw and sacks called back from a penalty.  
Alot of the times he couldnt slide up because the line was aready getting bull rushed into his face. 
give him some time to throw and then I can start critiquing the guy. If he had Staffords time in SB I have no doubt we win ....thats all im saying.
Reply/Quote

via Gfycat

-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:51 PM)kalibengal Wrote: its really hard to critique the guy who was pummeled all yr and sacked 70 times! ....and thats not including the hits taken after the throw and sacks called back from a penalty.  
Alot of the times he couldnt slide up because the line was aready getting bull rushed into his face. 
give him some time to throw and then I can start critiquing the guy. If he had Staffords time in SB I have no doubt we win ....thats all im saying.

I wasn't criticizing.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Check downs, (and not stupid swing passes that’s never work), and throw the dang ball away.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:51 PM)kalibengal Wrote: its really hard to critique the guy who was pummeled all yr and sacked 70 times! ....and thats not including the hits taken after the throw and sacks called back from a penalty.  

True but we do know that Joe likes to hold onto the ball as long as he can for plays to develop. Tremendous instinct to have and want but it got him quite a few sacks, too.
Reply/Quote
Check downs are not there when your only choice is to guess which route you are throwing to or throwing away, vs the Rams Joe literally had to guess right pre-snap. It is embarrassing how awful the line play was... and it is equally as hopeful of how explosive and unstoppable we would be with solid blocking.

Burrow probably caused 10% of the sacks, bad play calls about 15%, and 75% on the oline is my uneducated guess.
Reply/Quote
I think him having an offseason without having to rehab a torn ACL will be huge for him. I expect he will work on things to get even better next year.
Reply/Quote
He was limited in the pocket all year by both his right and left knees. He could barely move at the end of the Super Bowl when Aaron Donald got to him.

I think him being healthy will first and foremost help him. One of his best attributes coming out of LSU was his ability to move in the pocket - I just hope him being sacked a ton and the injury didn't ruin this for him mentally.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I was listening to a PFF podcast and they were discussing the number of pressures that result in sacks and how Burrow had a much higher number of pressures lead to sacks. Josh Allen led the league coming in under 10% of pressures leading to sacks. League average is in the 10% - 15% range. With Burrow, 27% of pressures resulted in sacks. https://youtu.be/fhH3uEWCZmM?t=3594
Reply/Quote

Burrow is one of those guys.... he's always looking to extend the play. There will be sacks, even with a stellar line. What a good line will do is improve the ground game, open up the play action and the playbook.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow is great but he does hold the ball a little and has a habit of not stepping up into the pocket (which was mostly NOT getting shoved into his face).

There are other things too - play design (too many empty sets and the team HAS to learn how to screen effectively), backs uniformly suck as blockers so chipping frequently failed as the back whiffed and such.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:50 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Burrow gets antsy at times and not finish his progressions. There are some opportunities that he missed throughout the season, including the SB, where he tucked it early instead of trusting his progressions and finding the open man. His pocket presence isn't the greatest and he prefers to run away instead of maneuvering in the pocket itself.  This habit can lead to him getting sacked as he will just tuck the ball and look to escape instead of keeping the ball ready to fire. Sometimes it produces incredible plays (Chiefs AFC championship where he escaped Jones twice) and other times it just leads to him turtling up and taking a sack. Trusting his progressions will also lead to him getting to the checkdown much quicker. A lot of people try to put blame on ZT, per usual, but many of these pass plays that are being ran have obvious checkdowns built into them - Joe just doesn't get to them in those instances.

In my opinion, this is the only true "weak area" in his game.

Tyler Boyd was wide open on the 4th and 1 in the first quarter that he forced to Chase. He'll see that film, and correct it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Burrow is one of those guys.... he's always looking to extend the play. There will be sacks, even with a stellar line. What a good line will do is improve the ground game, open up the play action and the playbook.

True, but how many free runners have seen as well?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tyler Boyd was wide open on the 4th and 1 in the first quarter that he forced to Chase. He'll see that film, and correct it.

He was forced to guess pre-snap according to the film guys, he literally had time to throw to one receiver or throw it a way, just awful to be like that in the SB.
Reply/Quote