Poll: What value will we get in return for AJ McCarron?
Top 5 pick
Top 15 pick
Top 30 pick
2nd rounder
Two 2nd rounders
1st and 2nd round pick
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we deserve for AJ McCarron?
Star 
With a down draft class for QBs.... Uhhh Mitch Trubisky?

AJ McCarron and Jimmy Garoppolo are likely going to be sought after assets for teams in desperate need of a quarterback.

TEAMS IN NEED:

Browns (1st pick and 9th pick)

49ers (2nd pick)

Bears (4th pick)

Jets (5th pick)

Texans (21st pick)

In the end, if we trade him, WHAT VALUE DO YOU THINK WE WILL GET IN RETURN?

[Image: AJ-McCarron-Andy-Dalton-contract.final.png]

-- WHO DEY THINK GONNA BEAT DEM BENGALS!! --
Reply/Quote
I just don't see anyone giving us a first round pick for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:31 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I just don't see anyone giving us a first round pick for him.

Me neither, he has some experience and shown that he can sling it and not throw interceptions but still.

Maybe a 2nd rounder to the Niners, that sure would be nice. Jets with a 4th or 5th round pick seems the most likely though.
Reply/Quote
Question 
(12-16-2016, 01:31 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I just don't see anyone giving us a first round pick for him.

But in the past 6 years... Teams have spent 1st round picks on the following quarterbacks....

Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder and...
Tim Tebow

Reply/Quote
That is a tough one to answer, as there are so many variable that come into play, under any trade scenario. Strictly going by the options that you have listed, I went with 2nd round pick.

With that said, I think that with the right trade partner (team really needing QB that isn't totally raw), the Bengals could get 1st round value from AJ. We as fans sometimes overvalue the guys on our own team, because we like them. However, all that AJ has is 4.5 games in the driver's seat. He did well, but the Earth didn't move, and no "QB controversies" resulted from his performance. I mean, there is a big difference in taking over on Division winning team with veteran offense around him, compared to how poor he could have looked taking over for a poorly performing team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:40 PM)MC Howley Wrote: But in the past 6 years... Teams have spent 1st round picks on the following quarterbacks....

Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Brandon Weeden
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder and...
Tim Tebow

All of those teams also had the opportunity to spend a 1st round pick on McCarron, but they did not.  The Bengals got him for a 5th round pick.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All of those teams also had the opportunity to spend a 1st round pick on McCarron, but they did not.  The Bengals got him for a 5th round pick.

Ya and all of those teams had a chance to get Dak Prescott to - but they didn't.

Hindsight is 20/20... With this reasoning, would the Cowboys only want a 4th rounder for Dak..

We gotta hammer teams that think they can win now and get a 1st rounder for AJ - Texans, Jets, Bears... Cmon man!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:45 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Ya and all of those teams had a chance to get Dak Prescott to - but they didn't.

Hindsight is 20/20... With this reasoning, would the Cowboys only want a 4th rounder for Dak..

We gotta hammer teams that think they can win now and get a 1st rounder for AJ - Texans, Jets, Bears... Cmon man!

I'm not saying that they can't, or won't get 1st round value from McCarron.  I'd really like to see that happen.

You asked what we (fellow fans) thought, so I told you what I thought.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:25 PM)MC Howley Wrote: With a down draft class for QBs.... Uhhh Mitch Trubisky?

AJ McCarron and Jimmy Garoppolo are likely going to be sought after assets for teams in desperate need of a quarterback.

TEAMS IN NEED:

Browns (1st pick and 9th pick)

49ers (2nd pick)

Bears (4th pick)

Jets (5th pick)

Texans (21st pick)

In the end, if we trade him, WHAT VALUE DO YOU THINK WE WILL GET IN RETURN?

[Image: AJ-McCarron-Andy-Dalton-contract.final.png]

I'd be happy with a 2nd, but really expecting a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Reply/Quote
Seeing how Bradford was worth a first round pick, I think AJ should be worth that. Yes, I know the Vikings were desperate, so the Bengals just need to find a team that is that desperate!
Reply/Quote
We missed our moment with a desperate team like the Viking situation. I say an early 2nd. 2nd and 5th at best. Would love to get a 1st but that's just not going to happen.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 02:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Seeing how Bradford was worth a first round pick, I think AJ should be worth that.  Yes, I know the Vikings were desperate, so the Bengals just need to find a team that is that desperate!

The level of desperation is much lower in the offseason, than it is to a team when losing one's starting QB at the onset of the season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 02:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Seeing how Bradford was worth a first round pick, I think AJ should be worth that.  Yes, I know the Vikings were desperate, so the Bengals just need to find a team that is that desperate!

These teams that MC Howley listed are all desperate. Maybe you guys are right and we could get 1st round value
out of the man. I sure as hell hope so. That would be awesome. BTW, i see Romo going to the Texans.

The Jets seem the most likely and i hope it is a lot more than a 5th round pick.
Reply/Quote
The fact that he's going into the last year of his contract will drastically reduce what teams will trade for him.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 02:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: We missed our moment with a desperate team like the Viking situation. I say an early 2nd. 2nd and 5th at best. Would love to get a 1st but that's just not going to happen.

You are probably right, way to bring me back down to reality.

(12-16-2016, 02:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The level of desperation is much lower in the offseason, than it is to a team when losing one's starting QB at the onset of the season.

Definately true.
Reply/Quote
Some notable QB trades

Joe Montana for a 2nd
Brett Favre for a 3rd
Matt Cassel for a 2nd (he showed a lot more than McCarron)
Palmer for a 1st & 2nd (Raiders had no leadership at the time, and overpaid out of desperation for a QB that is vastly better than McCarron)
Bradford for a 1st (Vikings overpaid for a QB out of desperation, but Bradford (for now) is still viewed as a QB with all the tools.
I also believe Bledsoe was traded for a first - when he was considered a top QB

Those expecting some team to plop down their top pick for AJ McCarron are destined for disappointment. Can you imagine being a fan of say...the Rams or Jets, and hearing that your team just gave up it's 1st round pick for AJ McCarron? How would you feel about that?

The absolute best case scenario I can think of is something similar to the Matt Schaub trade from the Falcons to the Texans. At the time, Schaub was viewed as the most promising backup in the league. A 3rd rounder with size (6'5") who had played well (not great) when called upon. Sound somewhat familiar?

Well, Schaub was traded for a pair of 2nd rounders, and the Falcons got to move up 2 spots in the 1st round (from 10th to 8th). Honestly, I think Schaub was more highly regarded and flat out better than McCarron. So my best guess is that some desperate team will throw a 2nd at the Bengals. Anything more will really surprise me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Would be ecstatic with a 2nd round pick for McCarron.

Especially if it were the Browns 2nd round pick.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:45 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Ya and all of those teams had a chance to get Dak Prescott to - but they didn't.

AJ McCarron isn't Dak Preskott. Or Tom Brady. He's AJ McCarron. Now has he shown enough to warrant a team giving up a 1st? I don't think so, but we'll see soon enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd be really shocked if any team gave up a 1st round pick for McCarron.

2nd is best we can hope for.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Me neither, he has some experience and shown that he can sling it and not throw interceptions but still.

Maybe a 2nd rounder to the Niners, that sure would be nice. Jets with a 4th or 5th round pick seems the most likely though.
The Jets have Petty and Hackenberg. I figure they'll see what they have before trading a pick for AJ.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote